Using the Hinckley Triumph Valve Shim Tool (T3880012)

Поділитися
Вставка
  • Опубліковано 27 лип 2024
  • After measuring the valve clearances on my Triumph Daytona 1200 (last video) I decided to use the Triumph valve shim removal tool (T3880012) to check my valve shim values, necessary to know what new shims to use for the ones that were out of spec. I'll make all the mistakes so you don't have to, all two of you! I had six valves shims to remove. Once I find out their size I can order more shims and get this bike back on the road. This tool can be used on all of this era of Triumph bikes with this 3 and 4 cylinder engine and is an alternative to removing the camshafts.
    no need to subscribe or like, II do these just for fun.
  • Авто та транспорт

КОМЕНТАРІ • 50

• @andrewwhite4668
    @andrewwhite4668 13 годин тому

"What a pain in the freakin arse!" Amen, sir. Thanks for posting this. If nothing else I know someone understands my frustrations. :D

• @WoZIMoo
    @WoZIMoo 4 роки тому +3

I strongly suggest you rename this video to Triumph 1200/955 (same head design) valve adjustment as this shows in greater detail the critical steps and difficulties to adjusting the valves on these engines. Where as most instructions are only textual and don't talk much about the critical steps (using the tool and extracting the shims), this video clarified a lot of questions I had after finding the official Triumph shop manual and most instructions online lacking in detail. This video also convinced me that while I'm tempted to do the job myself, I'm more comfortable in paying 600-800$ to get it done by the dealer.

• @terenceokeeffesmotorcyclestuff
      @terenceokeeffesmotorcyclestuff  4 роки тому

Phil3555 - thanks for the suggestion Phil. Well I’m really glad it led you to a decision and one I can’t fault you for. I was learning (to use the tool) as I went along and I might of taken the same path as you had I known how much was involved. I actually found getting the valve cover back on with the rubber gasket in place infuriating. I’m refurbishing the forks next and I will let a suspension expert do that for me. I’ll take them off and send them away, gotta give myself a break every now and then. :-)

• @joe1946
    @joe1946 17 днів тому

Hallo Terence, vielen Dank für das einstellen dieses Videos. Ich konnte danach die Ventile meiner Sprint ST BJ2000 einstellen. Das Werkstatt Handbuch zeigt einem nicht alles. Der Tipp mit der Stellung der Schlitze in den Tellern war super. Ich hab sie bei beiden Nockenwellen nach hinten gestellt. Ich wäre nie auf die Idee gekommen unter den Fuß mit der Reisnadel den Shim anzuheben. 😅
    Gerade auf der Auslassseite, super, da sieht man halbwegs, was man macht.
    Du hattest Probleme beim ersten fixieren der Füße. Ich hab mir den Hub so eingestellt das ich die ersten 2mm den Shim Teller mit der Schraube oben runtergedrückt habe. Dabei kann man den Fuß gut halten und er rutscht nicht weg. Man muss schauen, das er richtig aufsitzt.
    Den Luxus den Motor mit der Ratsche zu drehen hab ich nicht, da muss das Hinterrad ran. Steht aber auch so in der Anleitung.
    Danke nochmal Terence 😊

@terenceokeeffesmotorcyclestuff  17 днів тому

Freut mich, dass das Video Ihnen geholfen hat, Joe. Es war interessant, von Ihren Erfahrungen mit dem Sprint ST zu hören. Viel Glück, Sir!

• @pikebobstar2033
    @pikebobstar2033 2 роки тому +1

Know this is old video but have to replace 3 shims so bought a tool for £32 Fowlers and gave it a go on my 25k trident 900. What a faff. Easier than removing cams as the cam cap bolt torx on mine are pretty gnarled. A common problem when people have removed them in the past. I will replace the bolts in the future if I have a lot to do. I believe the trident is easier access than the fours. I found if you rock the back wheel eventually it will turn backwards. Ok for 3 shims but any more and I would have removed the crank nut cover. It does work using the tool. Just waiting for couple shims. One of the removed ones can be reused. All mine were on inlet side. Thanks for this video and the pointers mate👍

@terenceokeeffesmotorcyclestuff  2 роки тому +1

Yes, it is a bit of a faff isn't it? The inlets are handier to get too alright. Sounds like it was a good move for you to use the tool with those cam bolts condition. You got away lightly with just the three to do. Good Luck!

• @owlteachereducation
    @owlteachereducation 4 роки тому +1

Excellent. Really useful. Doing my valve clearances on my Thunderbird Sport next weekend. Thanks very much for your patience and taking the time to help us all.

@terenceokeeffesmotorcyclestuff  4 роки тому +1

Gareth Butt - kind of you to say so Gareth, good luck with your job next weekend, four less valves to check for you, bonus!

• @simonjones8205
    @simonjones8205 2 роки тому +1

Really enjoy your videos Terry!
    Been a real lifeline for me and given me the confidence to tackle similar jobs. I bought a 1200 Daytona a couple of months ago and like you I’m going through it mechanically. Got Cam shims to do next.

• @joshmorris2474
    @joshmorris2474 4 роки тому +3

Thanks for the video. I appreciated your struggles and your willingness to stick to it. My thunderbird is starting to make a clickity noise from the valves, so I'm getting ready to check clearances. If I need to change shims, I'm debating whether to buy and try the tool or remove the cams. Happy riding!

Josh Morris - thanks Josh, fingers crossed it’s not too many that end up being out for you. At least you have four less to start with. Best of luck and happy trails!

• @jamienorton4655
    @jamienorton4655 10 місяців тому +1

Well presented and informative. The tool is about £100 so I planned to make one. Having seen the difficulty you had with the genuine tool, I've decided to lift the cams instead! Thanks for the info.

@terenceokeeffesmotorcyclestuff  10 місяців тому

Cheers Jamie. I did think it would be a little easier and it took a while to get the knack. I’d be faster again another time. I think I’d be taking the cams out too if I had a good few more to do. Good luck with the job. 👍

• @jamienorton4655
      @jamienorton4655 10 місяців тому

Thanks. It would have taken me at least a day to make the tool. I started the job today and found that just loosening and lifting the cams allows easy removal of the shims so a lot less fiddly than the tool. (1999 Sprint ST 955i). This did mean removing the clutch case though which now requires a £20 gasket! I would also have preferred a box of shims to hand, but as all the clearances are tight, I'm going to grind them down and refit.@@terenceokeeffesmotorcyclestuff

• @listairgin
    @listairgin 4 роки тому +1

Brilliant video and well narrated also thanks Terry. My bike ( 1200 Daytona) has an issue at 2500 rpm in that it has a misfire and the rev counter needle jumps back and forward about 6mm leading me to suspect an electrical issue. Ive had carbs off cleaned and inspected pilot jets etc ( everything was in order) new air filter installed and I balanced the carbs. I have given the ECU a direct feed from the battery ( made no difference) same with ignition coils to bypass any cut out and ignition switches etc ( made no difference) I disconnected the rev counter ( no difference). I changed the pickup trigger ( no difference) . I've checked the coils and plug leads with a manual tester an they all jump a 12mm gap. The confusing thing is that it runs great again at 3000 rpm the misfire starts at exactly 2500 and stops at 3000 rpm and the bike runs great. I'm a qualified mechanic and have worked at bikes for years but I'm getting a little lost and would love to know if any other 1200 owners have came across this problem. I really do think that the ECU is the problem now. Any help from anyone that has had the same issue would be greatly appreciated. 👍.

This is an odd one and you have gone to great lengths to get to the bottom of the issue. You may be right about the ECU but so many people have had problems with the PVL coils on these bikes I think it would be worth replacing those first. It is a reasonably low cost investment so if they are not your problem you havn't lost a whole heap. I don't have an shop quality coil tester but a static test on my coils showed them to be way out of the impedance range as stated in the factory workshop manual. Sprint Manufacturing do PVL copies for £30 each. I will say it didn't cure my starting problems which I still have but don't feel too bad about the spend given the old ones were way out of spec. Good luck and post again if you fix the issue.

• @listairgin
      @listairgin 4 роки тому +1

Terry Cox Thanks Terry, yes I shall replace the coils and leads but reluctantly as the bike runs good after 3000rpm but who knows what goes on within the science of electronic devices lol. If you know of any ECU's for sale please let me know. Thanks for the great informative videos you do. Great stuff 👍

@@listairgin if the leads look good I would be tempted to reuse them, they seem quite dear for what they are, I kept mine. I know what you are saying, why would the coils just have an isssue at those revs and both of them? It doesn't feel like a natural cause of the issue does it? In your postion I would of gone for the carbs first too. Many thanks for your kind words. Good luck!

• @listairgin
      @listairgin 4 роки тому

Terry Cox 👍🌠

• @axelboldt5101
    @axelboldt5101 2 роки тому +1

Fine done, thanks a lot

• @agebeat22
    @agebeat22 2 роки тому

Thanks for this great explanation and video - as about to try 1 exhaust valve shim with the tool on a Trophy T312. 2 comments - the hex at the right end of the camshaft is 13/16 A/F so you can use an O/E spanner to turn the camshafts without disturbing the crankcase gasket and I took the radiator off as needed a coolant change and gives much better view and access - it's only 6 bolts and disconnect the hoses. I bought the tool years ago, but last time had 2 shims to do so just took the camshaft out

@terenceokeeffesmotorcyclestuff  2 роки тому

Thanks for the tips Ian, I’ll use those next time 👍. I’ve not had the radiator off before so good to know it is straightforward.

• @mvk24
    @mvk24 3 роки тому

Awesome video thanks Tev

• @glennshobbies884
    @glennshobbies884 4 роки тому +1

I’ll pop my explorer round , after this lockdown as ended 👍

Ha ha ha.......I'm going to be 6 hours taking the plastic off around the Explorer tank Glenn and I guarantee i'll break some of it! Are they bucket over shim or shim over bucket I wonder?

• @richardadkins6998
    @richardadkins6998 2 роки тому +2

Just done the first part of this horrible job. I have a third part tool, which is tricky to set up to catch the bucket, but not trap the shim. The legs are narrower than the factory tool, so could set it up to catch the bucket, while leaving the slot exposed, to be able to pick the shim out. I’ve found having the engine in 6th gear makes it easier to turn the engine.
    So yes it’s now the joy of ordering some new shims at a £5 each 😕
    Overall compared to Hondas and Kawasakis, the design is poor with no access to the crankshaft nut. I prefer screw and locknut valves, than this crap. Or have hydraulic tappets!

@terenceokeeffesmotorcyclestuff  2 роки тому

Hopefully once done you are goods for a few years Richard. With the plugs out and in neutral you can get a turn on the engine on the right hand side of the crankshaft. It is a lot easier using this over the rear wheel. At least we can use a tool, my Honda is shim under bucket! 😮.

• @randypullman1155
    @randypullman1155 3 роки тому +2

I don’t understand. Set TDC and yank those cams and the chain stress and then slap it all back together. If you have the shims is a 2 hr job.

@terenceokeeffesmotorcyclestuff  3 роки тому

If I had more to do I might of pulled the cams as mentioned in the video but with just 6 it was ok, just very fiddly with the tool.

• @mmartin441
    @mmartin441 3 роки тому

I need that shim tool 3880012. Where can I get it. Triumph says it's backorder status.

If Triumph can’t get it I don’t know who can? My local dealer supplied. There is a third party tool but I can’t remember the suppliers name. Google is your friend!

• @igichan
    @igichan 3 роки тому +1

This tool won't fit the Bonneville, right?

• @wildracoon6807
    @wildracoon6807 3 роки тому

Hi, can you tell me the valve clearance tool dimensions? please, im so desperate bcz its hard to come by.... :(

By the time you make it you could of bought it. Any Triumph dealer can get it to you as they are still available new. There are a lot of dimensions to measure, too many to accurately describe by text, sorry.

• @wildracoon6807

​@@terenceokeeffesmotorcyclestuff the shipping to my country cost much and long to wait, thnx anyway

@@wildracoon6807 I’ll see what I can do, give me a few days.

• @wildracoon6807

@@terenceokeeffesmotorcyclestuff dont bother, ordered for a big sum, so now its pointless to bother you :)

• @MartinSage
    @MartinSage 4 роки тому +1

The tool is horrible!!! So crude. Even the MC shop that sold me the tool said many guys hate it. Honda uses a "c" clamp tool takes 30sec. You only have 1/16" to put that leg on. I tried for an hour. It either doesn't catch the ring or hits the shim.

It tested my patience Martin I can tell you. Annoying as well that one leg seemed to work better than the other. You really did need to get the knack. I'm glad its done now. Had the bike out for the first time yesterday and it was fantastic with the valve shims and airbox replacement.

• @michaelreynolds9463
    @michaelreynolds9463 2 роки тому +1

Why did it take you 32 minutes to do a 10 minute job ffs.