Can You Put an RTX 4080 in a Dell Workstation? (Precision T7865)

Поділитися
Вставка
  • Опубліковано 28 кві 2024
  • I just got my most expensive single computer ever. It's an already-outdated Precision 7865 with an AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 64-core CPU, direct from Dell. RAM upgrades from the manufacturer are always a bit of a rip, so in this video I upgrade it to 512GB. Also, I find out for the first time whether a consumer graphics card (PNY / NVIDIA RTX 4080 16GB) will actually fit inside the moderately-sized chassis. Oh, and fit two Western Digital Black SN850X 4TB SSDs to replace the woeful 256GB el cheapo card that came with the system from Dell.
    Absolutely nothing in this is a paid ad. It was paid for by my wallet. Buy Dell, HP, Asus, even Razer for all I care.
    00:00 Intro / About the System
    05:44 Inside the Case
    09:18 Graphics Card Size Concerns
    16:00 Network Card (Intel E810) Intro
    16:26 Rear Ports
    17:21 C20 Power Connector and Cables
    20:55 Front Ports and Bays
    23:37 Fitting the RTX 4080
    31:56 Modifying the Case Cover
    39:31 SSD Upgrades
    45:16 RAM Upgrade to 512GB
    50:06 Installing the 10GbE Fiber NIC
    52:06 Supporting the GPU Vertically
    55:16 The Fan Shroud
    56:50 Routing the Cables
    59:27 Supporting the GPU Part 2 (It's built in)
    1:01:17 Powering it Up / BIOS
    1:03:44 Booting into Ubuntu Live Image
    1:05:17 Performance Testing the CPU (Preliminary)
    1:06:45 Outro
    1:10:24 Unboxing (I mean there's not much to see really)
  • Наука та технологія

КОМЕНТАРІ • 22

• @soullsss
    @soullsss 3 місяці тому +9

bro that's the most overkill sleeper build

• @aktyj320yhj
      @aktyj320yhj Місяць тому

Oh boy this is not even half of what you can choose when buying it

• @operatorfromhell
    @operatorfromhell 3 місяці тому +3

The CPU is vendor locked to Dell, so are the Lenovos, you won't be able to use it in any other motherboard outside of their respective product lines. On top of that and unlocked Threadripper Pro by default will automatically lock to whatever Vendor board it is used on.

• @FormalPluto
    @FormalPluto 2 місяці тому +3

I'd suggest looking at the Asus ProArt graphics cards for chassis like this one. It's a 2.5 slot card, instead of a 3+ slot, and an inch shorter. You'll still have to modify the case cover to remove the PCIe 'holder' , but you won't be restricting airflow within the case as much as with the XLR8, and gives you some clearance for routing the power cables

• @Aranimda
    @Aranimda Місяць тому +2

I got a Dell Precision 7875 and installed the Inno3D GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER TWIN X2 in it. It fits fine and runs quiet. Make sure your graphics card is not too high and not too long. If the card is high it cannot have power connectors on the top. The mentioned Inno3D is low enough to have it's power connector on top. Workstation cards usually have the power connector at the back of the card.
    My model has a 1350W power supply and 4x 8 pin PCI-e power connectors.

• @vic4345
      @vic4345 Місяць тому

Talk about a beautiful setup there

• @onlyhereformoney175
    @onlyhereformoney175 13 днів тому

the stickers on basically all NVMe SSDs are technically thermal pads, and help with cooling. you'll see it if you take the sticker off and see the reflective metal underside. don't take it off, but if you do you won't take a flash chip with it.

• @andre-le-bone-aparte
    @andre-le-bone-aparte 3 місяці тому +1

Just found your channel - Excellent content, nice to see modifications to Dell Workstations to fit in Nvidia Big Boi GPUs - would be cool to see if you can get a PCI extension or riser in the case to make use of the "covered" slots from the GPU.

• @pdieppa
    @pdieppa 2 місяці тому

The bracket that holds the gpu cables is also used to hold the other end of a gpu so it does not sag. It needs a special bracket that attaches to the gpu and hooks to the bracket in front of the case fan.

• @MisterPikol
    @MisterPikol 3 місяці тому

Wow that heatsink lol

• @Nienormalny
    @Nienormalny 3 місяці тому +2

This 12VHPWR connector is such a bad invention by NVIDIA. About stickers on the SSDs - they are actually made of of something that conduct heat much better than regular plastic. I've seen a video with some test with them staying or being removed. Really depend on what are these stickers made of. I think i'd leave them intact. Video is in polish language if you want. I believe auto generated speech to text translation can be enabled: ua-cam.com/video/AZ8vbKf_zxI/v-deo.html

• @Ne3M1
    @Ne3M1 3 місяці тому +1

Would love to see GPU thermals on full load. 😅

• @creechavo
    @creechavo Місяць тому

@ 45:30 you should have removed the sticker from the NVMe drives.

• @Zander_ARC
    @Zander_ARC 3 місяці тому

vr would run bueatifly on that but i would worry about thermals

• @j.lietka9406
    @j.lietka9406 3 місяці тому

If you need a T3620, or a T1650, let me know!

• @triippy...6476
    @triippy...6476 3 місяці тому

Well you really pushed it by getting a triple fan haha

• @dynamyc010
    @dynamyc010 3 місяці тому

I'd say the labels should come right off. I doubt they'd use such strong glue that would rip components off of your SSD, that just sounds like a horrible idea.

• @dynamyc010
      @dynamyc010 3 місяці тому

Then again, it's probably not worth the trouble now. I don't think it matters that much in terms of performance, except maybe for long, continuous load. So realistically, you should be fine.

• @helloworldstein
    @helloworldstein 3 місяці тому +1

What do you even use a computer like this for? Development? 3D modeling?

• @CheaddakerT.Snodgrass
    @CheaddakerT.Snodgrass 3 місяці тому

What? Who's this? I got a new phone

• @Leo-Lion
    @Leo-Lion 3 місяці тому +1

For a Guy in IT you’ve got way too much income to throw around and employer that is paying you way too much!