How to Replace the Seat Foam in a Dodge Ram [How-T0]

Поділитися
Вставка
  • Опубліковано 4 гру 2016
  • Visit Adventure Rig here: goo.gl/OzQc0M
    Watch this video if you are looking to replace the seat foam in your Dodge Ram. This video was demonstrated on a 2007 Dodge Ram 3500. Leave any questions below!
    Links:
    Antares HD Long: goo.gl/JzVGTO
    More Reviews: goo.gl/5cuWol
    Be sure to subscribe for more great videos and check us out on our social channels!
    facebook: / adventurerig
    twitter: / adventurerig
    instagram: / adventurerig

КОМЕНТАРІ • 75

• @johnn4367
    @johnn4367 5 років тому +17

Thanks for the video. There is one suggestion I would make. The springs and wire mesh is usually much more worn and stretched. What I did with my 07 2500 was to remove the 4 springs and wire, turned over the wire and reversed the order of the springs putting the less used to the outside and the worn to the inside making it as stiff as new. Expecting to get another 100k + miles out of this seat and new cushion, John

• @AdventureRig
      @AdventureRig  5 років тому

Thanks for watching John and that's a great idea!

• @shawnburns462
    @shawnburns462 2 роки тому +2

Thanks so much for this video. My husband and I successfully replaced the worn, uncomfortable cushions in his 2005 Ram 3500 diesel without removing the seats!!

• @my95buick
    @my95buick 5 років тому +2

Nicely done. As an installer I'd say using your step rails 100% eliminates foam breakdown. Sliding off and on is worse than the little sharp edge on the frame. I liked the video still

• @teamzuki
    @teamzuki 6 років тому

Thanks so much! Watched once and it was a piece of cake! Took more time to vacuum up the old rotten foam than anything.

• @AdventureRig
      @AdventureRig  6 років тому

Thanks for watching Nathan and glad it went smooth!

• @jakehershey5223
    @jakehershey5223 6 місяців тому

Great video! Just replaced mine, thanks for the info!

• @nailbndr9869
    @nailbndr9869 Рік тому

Thanks, you made an intimidating job look easy!

• @socalkikrox1jen
    @socalkikrox1jen 6 років тому +2

Thank You For making this video, I am about to replace my seat foam as well and your video sure helped me out a lot.

• @AdventureRig
      @AdventureRig  6 років тому +1

Thanks for watching and I'm glad you found it helpful.

• @socalkikrox1jen
      @socalkikrox1jen 6 років тому

Adventure Rig Did every step you did, being a female , I have long nails and that was my only slight setback.

• @AdventureRig
      @AdventureRig  6 років тому +1

Ut oh! I will say my girlfriend had an easier time with the clips than I did.

• @DarthHintz
    @DarthHintz 5 років тому +4

thank you. very helpful video. going to same me some money for sure

• @AdventureRig

David Hintz you’re welcome David thank you for watching.

• @robdemers9303
    @robdemers9303 5 років тому

great vid thanx definately want to subscribe

• @romanoverlengia5421
    @romanoverlengia5421 2 роки тому

Great video, my exact problem, I'm going to order the driver's foam and do it myself, and try moving the springs as someone else mentioned.

• @se6203
    @se6203 8 місяців тому

Thanks, good video. I’ll be amazed if I can come anywhere close to doing it so easily.

• @AdventureRig
      @AdventureRig  7 місяців тому

Once you can find that tough bottom piece, you'll be good to go.

• @chrisderrico2371
    @chrisderrico2371 3 місяці тому

Great video, do you know if its about the same process on a 2020 1500? Ive lookedd everywhere and cant fimd anything. Thanks.

• @AdventureRig
      @AdventureRig  3 місяці тому

Thanks! I’m not entirely sure. It should be similar concept if not the same. You’ll have to feel around for the clips.

• @robertjpercival6386
    @robertjpercival6386 4 роки тому +1

This is great! My 2005 seat needs this bad! How come no one is talking about replacing the the seat back cushion? Mine is worn more than the bottom seat cushion is! (You can see the metal frame starting to wear through the material!)

• @AdventureRig
      @AdventureRig  4 роки тому

Robert J Percival Oh wow I haven’t seen any seat backs worn out.

• @JamesBond-oe5px
    @JamesBond-oe5px 6 років тому

Thanks

• @AdventureRig

Sorry for the late reply and we appreciate you watching.

• @mariocuevas5041
    @mariocuevas5041 2 роки тому

How did you get the inside tabs to connect to the frame? All the power motors are in the way and I cannot raise the seat either.

• @AdventureRig
      @AdventureRig  2 роки тому

I didn't have any clearance issues.

• @randybartley4813
    @randybartley4813 7 років тому +3

Where did you find the cushion for $9 I've been on ebay & can't find a cushion for less than $150

• @AdventureRig
      @AdventureRig  7 років тому +1

I believe I paid around $100 for it on eBay.

• @bbear88
      @bbear88 6 років тому +3

I think he said about $90 but i agree does sound like $9.. wish it was that cheap lol

• @socalkikrox1jen
      @socalkikrox1jen 6 років тому

Randy Bartley I just bought a 2005 Ram 1500 driver seat replacement foam for $125 from "The Seat Shop.com"

• @cheyenne95ily
    @cheyenne95ily 3 роки тому

Does it make any difference if the seat is a heated seat? Or not really since you are not touching wires

• @AdventureRig
      @AdventureRig  3 роки тому

cheyenne95ily I imagine the only difference is that you have an element for the heating portion under the seat cover.

• @kodystrialanderror742
    @kodystrialanderror742 5 років тому

Thanks, very helpful! Need to replace mine not only because of the wear but the stank butt 16 cans of shark poo that has built up over 12 years!

• @AdventureRig

Kody Greer Haha glad this will help!!

• @joeland4297
    @joeland4297 3 роки тому +1

Where can i purchas the seat covrer

• @tilmangreenjr5765
    @tilmangreenjr5765 6 років тому

Where did you purchase the sticky felt. I can see the rail on my 2006. I need a whole new cover.

• @AdventureRig
      @AdventureRig  6 років тому

I picked that up from a craft store like a Hobby Lobby. But I would think you can find it at any fabric store.

• @dane5896
    @dane5896 7 років тому

2006 Sport 1500, I had to replace mine also. It is a factory defect, should have been recalled. Made a complaint with Dodge, they refused to fix it.

• @AdventureRig
      @AdventureRig  7 років тому

Yeah seems like a common problem.

• @brianguilfoil2836
    @brianguilfoil2836 3 роки тому

What. If i have heated& cooling seat

• @AdventureRig

It's the same process. There is probably a heating element sitting on top of the seat foam in your case.

• @dalephillips8250
    @dalephillips8250 5 років тому

If you just had a video for the seat when it falls straight back as if
    you reclined it. Sounds like the teeth in my whole back rest are shot.
    Don't know how hard it would be to replace that.

• @AdventureRig

Thanks for watching Dale. I don't know how difficult that would be to replace.

• @KRich408
    @KRich408 Рік тому

You had it easy, a lot of the rams have heated and cooled seats. A lot more work to replace. And hog rings not Velcro.

• @mikeburton1703
    @mikeburton1703 4 роки тому

you made it look to easy putting the back part of the foam in ....i am in the process and it is harder than what one thinks... good job though

• @AdventureRig

Good luck Mike! Thanks for watching.

• @BKMDano17
    @BKMDano17 2 роки тому

I bought the Laramie edition which was supposed to be leather seats and they're the worst seats in the world. The whole seat designs pretty crappy I'm surprised they last as long as they do

• @AdventureRig
      @AdventureRig  2 роки тому

Yeah they could have put more thought into it.

• @vargas_5568
    @vargas_5568 2 місяці тому

Bro these seat foams are like $60 now as of 2024 on eBay SHEEESHHHHH

• @tacticalultimatum
    @tacticalultimatum 4 роки тому

I consider myself pretty handy, I’ve done head gaskets, patched chassis, replaced camshafts, fabricated roll bars etc. That was the worst job I have ever done. It made me want to die.

• @AdventureRig

Haha thanks for watching Tactical. I'm sorry it was such a pain.

• @tacticalultimatum
      @tacticalultimatum 4 роки тому

Adventure Rig No need to apologise 😂
      Very helpful video though!!!

• @JimTMcDaniels1
    @JimTMcDaniels1 4 роки тому

Thanks for the video! Wow fast cover removal!
    Let me share what has worked very well for me for FREE MATERIAL!, much of which I've learned from my brother who is a professional upholster, with making a new bench or van bench seat or boosting old car seat foam:
    For car seats that need boosting, most often they just need more foam added to be like new again, I find used carpet pad foam often in a neighbor's trash or dumpster behind a carpet store. Remove the car seat fabric clips and carefully peel the front and sides of the fabric to gain access under the seat foam core, which often requires the seat be unbolted from the floor.
    Place a sheet of it or two under the seat foam core, right on top of the spring wire deck(carpet pad foam is tougher than the core so this also stops the spring wire deck from cutting into the seat foam core bottom).
    Your second sheet can be cut smaller just covering the area the butt sits on.
    Also inspect the top of the foam core and add carpet pad foam or regular foam where might be needed like by the door, worn from getting in and out over the years.
    Spray adhesive can be used to bond the foam to the foam but is not necessary except for any top foam added.
    Your seats will be firm and new like for many years now, it's like free magic!
    The seat back usually doesn't need a any foam because it's the seat that gets the body weight on it from gravity. If you seat back should need a boost, you can add polyfill batting on top of the foam for free-see below.
    These methods can also be used on sofa seat cushions.
    I'll share below where to find FREE used good foam below!
    To make a bench- where to get free foam: there is so much FREE foam and FREE polyfill - in many soft pillow backs and polyfill batting often wrapped around foam cushions for the taken in people's discarded sofa's and chairs found outside dumpsters at apartment complexes and the back of thrift stores.
    Even though it's used, it has been well protected covered inside the upholstery.
    Of course in the event it's a cat lady's furniture and the cats happened to piss all over it, you'll smell it and know to move on lol
    Most apartments don't allow pets or make it expensive to have a pet so a lot of furniture is pet free.
    Use a box cutter to open the old furniture to get at the free foam or poly as you need or use the zipper you'll find on some pieces.
    Some foam in old sofas contain like a 1" thick panel of foam on top of other foam that is perfect thickness to add to your sofa foam to give it the new boost again.
    Foam can be cut to size using a hack saw loose blade only in your hand holding the end making a sawing motion.
    New foam looses some of it's firmness over a break in period, say after 5 years depending on how much it's sat on.
    But then the broken in foam lasts a very very long time at that softer level firmness before it really starts to break down.
    You might be able to buy complete new expensive foam cushion cores but they will sag after the break in period as well.
    This is why so often we love a new firm piece of furniture but then it gets soft and saggy on us.
    Now the sofa companies could to put super firm more expensive foam in their sofa's when new that might be a perfect firmness for us when broken after the 5 years break in period, but then we wouldn't buy the sofa if it's not nice to sit on from the beginning in the show room, so there's the dilemma when you fabric is still in great shape after 5 years but the foam is now sagging.
    The free fix:
    So just add more foam if you can firms it up to make it like new again, unzip and compress the foam as you slowly peel off your fabric from the cushion core. Then either add more foam to the top or bottom or hack blade saw through the center horizontal line of the foam core all the way from the back to almost through the front but not through, so you leave a good hinge of foam in the front.
    Then place about a 1" thick of used foam in the sandwich and holding it closed peel the fabric back over the foam cushion.
    You can also add more polyfill pad to the cushion core on it's outside to add more softness and support but adding more foam is the big boost.
    Spray adhesive is optional to bond the foam to the foam.
    People often think that when the seat sags that the springs under the cushions, have weakened but no, it's the foam, the springs are metal and strong, the foam is just foam.
    For making complete new cushion tops for say a bench, besides free foam, you might even find a lightly used fabric in some part of a discarded sofa to use IN FACT the back side of sofa's is often a large sheet of fabric that has been hidden against the wall never sat on all it's life and so still brand new!
    Discarded trash at a dumpster is free for the taking and your reducing what goes to our planet's landfill.
    This is win win, real free hard core recycling, helping to save our environment as well!
    Take care!

• @AdventureRig
      @AdventureRig  4 роки тому +1

This is all really good advice! Thank you so much for sharing with us and the viewers of this video.

• @JimTMcDaniels1
      @JimTMcDaniels1 3 роки тому

It doesn’t take much foam added to the old foam to boost it up to new firmness.
      I use the thin carpet pad foam, just a few sheets, like one in the center and a big sheet over the whole. When you sit in it and the seat feels as firm as the back support it’s perfect

• @monkehbitch
    @monkehbitch 3 роки тому

$9? Theyve put them prices up now!

• @AdventureRig

Thanks for watching.

• @monkehbitch
      @monkehbitch 3 роки тому +1

@@AdventureRig its a help, paying nearly $120 for a cushion to be shipped to the UK! Keep up the good work!

• @monkehbitch
      @monkehbitch 3 роки тому

@@AdventureRig I ended up getting it from rockauto. Slight Difference, These are made from polyurethane. By christ, its more comforable!

• @AdventureRig

@@monkehbitch Awesome! I love RockAuto.

• @dalephillips8250

If you just had a video for the seat when it falls straight back as if
    you reclined it. Sounds like the teeth in my whole back rest are shot.
    Don't know how hard it would be to replace that.

• @AdventureRig

Dale Phillips I have not heard of that one but it sounds like a bad time.

• @dalephillips8250

@@AdventureRig Yep I called Dodge dealership today and they said it was a "recliner gear assembly" which cost $180 dollars and I would have pay first then they will order it. Makes me wonder what a whole replacement seat would be instead.

• @AdventureRig
      @AdventureRig  5 років тому +1

Dale Phillips Gosh that’s an expensive part.