Це відео не доступне.
Перепрошуємо.

Saturn OVERDRIVE Install for a Jeep CJ5 w/ Spicer 18 and T90!!

Поділитися
Вставка
  • Опубліковано 4 кві 2020
  • I've been wanting to install an overdrive in my 1965 Jeep CJ5 for a long time now, and the day has finally come! I'll show you in this video how the install goes in a regular garage with regular hand tools! I have never done this before, so come along and join me on the installation of my Saturn OVERDRIVE made for the T90 3-speed transmission and Dana 18 transfer-case with a 29-tooth planetary! See links BELOW!
    Saturn Overdrive:
    walcks4wd.com/...
    Snap-ring tools:
    www.amazon.com...
    Digital depth gauge:
    www.amazon.com...
    Advanced Adapters In-Depth install video:
    • Saturn Overdrive Insta...
    metalshaper OVERDRIVE VIDEO:
    • Willys Overdrive Insta...
    NOTE!
    This is NOT a how to video, just simply a video capturing the process of my install for your viewing pleasure. I did my best to provide accurate information, but what works for me may not work for you! Do you're own research and happy wrenchin'!

КОМЕНТАРІ • 104

• @boeconover7263
    @boeconover7263 4 роки тому +4

It’s makes it so much better I have the warn overdrive on my m38a1 with the twin stick 4wheel

• @Prairie7777
    @Prairie7777 4 роки тому +3

I picked up a '47 CJ2A that has a T 19 four speed with a twin stick Dana 18 transfer case that has an overdrive already in it. Your video shows just what's happening inside the transfer case and it's very informative. WELL DONE! Thank you for posting this!

• @65SEEJAYFIVE
      @65SEEJAYFIVE  4 роки тому

Very nice! Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad to be able to help. Enjoy that CJ2A!

• @bodiaz9074
    @bodiaz9074 26 днів тому

Man, I am very jealous. First-able very nice and sweet jeep and now with that OD you can be the road runner… I had a 79 cj7 258 with 3 speed transmission, it was very nice but always wanted to have a 5 speed tranny to enjoy the highways. Did not know adding an OD was an option. Great video. Wanna see the video you driving it.

• @daveschlanger
    @daveschlanger 3 роки тому +2

I’m a little bit of a torque wrench nerd thanks to my 22 years in Nuclear Weapons Maintenance with the USAF. A torque spec of 110 to 120 ft-lbs or what have you needs to be split. So you would set your wrench to 115. This is to compensate for differences in wrenches, metals, temperature, stretching springs in the wrench, etc. Also, always store your T-wrench at zero

• @daveschlanger
      @daveschlanger 3 роки тому

Excellent torquing technique! One click and you didn’t palm the head

• @BBQDad463
    @BBQDad463 3 роки тому +1

Thanks for sharing this video. It brought back memories of Dad's old '49 Willys.
    Kinda makes me want to go buy an old Jeep and slap in that overdrive unit!
    You may have created a monster!
    Seriously, I am too old to crawl around under a Jeep.
    Thanks again, and keep 'em coming.
    😎

• @Oncewaslostbutnowimsaved
    @Oncewaslostbutnowimsaved 6 місяців тому

Finally an in vehicle install

• @Jangocat
    @Jangocat 2 роки тому +1

I had a 3 speed 75 CJ5 with the 304, learned to drive it in the woods when I was 12 and had it until my 20's. It had so much torque even with wide 31's you could take off in second from a standing stop with the stock gears. With four wheel drum manual brakes, manual steering, and the short wheel base it was scary as fuck to drive much over 40 MPH on the street. You definitely don't need an overdrive on a CJ5 unless it is really highly modified to make it more stable. Best vehicle ever off road, really scary at speed on the street. I remember doing 360's through intersections in the snow because of the way old manual drums pulled lol.

• @jeepanimal2943
    @jeepanimal2943 4 роки тому +1

We "Jeepologysts," feel your pain. Our significant others, feel your "nurse's" agony. We're here for you Brother. Jeeps and bleeding, sometimes go hand in hand. But, it's always worth it in the end. The first drive, that giddy feeling of exhilaration, that silent giggle, when the speedometer gets over 55. Good job, nice install, nice clean look on the interior mods. Love the leather boots too.

• @65SEEJAYFIVE
      @65SEEJAYFIVE  4 роки тому +1

She takes great care of me for sure, I'm lucky to have her! I hit 60 mph today and it DIDN'T sound like it wanted to explode!! Super stoked!

• @-oiiio-3993
      @-oiiio-3993 3 роки тому +1

@@65SEEJAYFIVE How's your steering / suspension?
      Does she dance a bit at sixty?

• @jermarr9975
    @jermarr9975 4 роки тому +4

Great job! I've been considering doing this on my '54 Willys Pickup. You've convinced me to do it! :-)

• @65SEEJAYFIVE

Go for it! You won't regret it.

• @-oiiio-3993

Do it!
      It's the single best upgrade for the ol' Willys.
      Be sure to match the gear tooth count on your t case output to the O.D..

• @StehHiesher
    @StehHiesher 4 роки тому +2

Sweet! I bet you’re glad it’s finally in there!!

• @65SEEJAYFIVE

I sure am! Thanks for your help, Seth!

• @StehHiesher
      @StehHiesher 4 роки тому

65SEEJAYFIVE it was all you Man! I just confirmed what you already had figured out!! 👏

• @mikehill1613
    @mikehill1613 3 роки тому

Great video. Very clear. I especially appreciated the pace-every minute instructional and essential. Thank you!

• @giridharg82
    @giridharg82 Рік тому

Amazing video. Job well done!

• @j45acp69
    @j45acp69 3 роки тому

Super cool video, thank you for sharing this with us!

• @justfixitnow77
    @justfixitnow77 4 роки тому +1

Finally found one!! It will be here next week!😁

• @ditzydoo4378
    @ditzydoo4378 4 роки тому +1

I like the walk through of the overdrive install, less the blood "ew". I learned a few more things and that's what's important.

• @65SEEJAYFIVE

Thanks for watching, hope it was helpful.

• @johndaskaloff6158
    @johndaskaloff6158 4 місяці тому

Nice job, thanks

• @ronthoman7138
    @ronthoman7138 3 роки тому

That really is a Beautiful CJ! Well Done! Excellent videos. :)

• @Jeep.Generation
    @Jeep.Generation 4 роки тому

Great video! I am going to be picking your brain when I start rebuilding my '66 CJ5. Cant wait for the next video.

• @65SEEJAYFIVE

Thank you so much! It'll be out soon, probably tomorrow!

• @bluesriot2
    @bluesriot2 Рік тому

congrats on the successful install , and thanks so much for sharing the job with us interested folks. great lighting and editing, and i heard you mention the go pro camera , very nice detail . lots of luck with the jeep, that od really puts the icing on a sweet machine. they really look like they are worth that $$$ outlay

• @markrandall1456
    @markrandall1456 4 роки тому

My wife gives me that same look when she is doctoring my fingers. There is something about Jeeps and fingers.
    Anyways-great job on installation and great video!
    Thanks for the fun. :-)

• @65SEEJAYFIVE

Thanks Mark! Yeah, my dreams of becoming a hand model are wayyyy behind me lol! My wife is the best...she puts up with my shenanigans and takes good care of me for sure!

• @leeharrison8790
    @leeharrison8790 4 роки тому +1

On those five bolts one has it's own sealing washers the other four need to have some kind of sealant on the threads or it can leak .. other than that great job ! I didn't remember you mentioning that on the bolts that goes into oil access that can seep oil causing a leak....be sure to seal the threads ... great job !

• @65SEEJAYFIVE

Thank you! Yes I should have mentioned, Advanced Adapters takes care of that and the bolt that goes through the case comes with sealant already on it. Thanks for watching!

• @everydayadv6922
    @everydayadv6922 4 роки тому

Great video! Kept waiting for the drive. Guess I’ll have to tune in next time!

• @rogermontee8264
    @rogermontee8264 3 роки тому

Great video

• @stephenwebber3076
    @stephenwebber3076 4 роки тому

Nicely done Sir... well except the cut. Greetings from eastern Ontario

• @65SEEJAYFIVE

Thanks 👍 What didn't you like about the cutout?

• @stephenwebber3076
      @stephenwebber3076 4 роки тому

65SEEJAYFIVE Cut on your finger... but that is inevitable on old CJ’s

• @65SEEJAYFIVE

Stephen Webber oh geez haha! I thought you meant the cut out for the shifter lol! Thanks for watching.

• @-oiiio-3993

@@65SEEJAYFIVE The finger grows back.

• @theadorefischer7912
    @theadorefischer7912 4 роки тому

Great video thanks for sharing.

• @gillafunk
    @gillafunk 4 роки тому

Soooooo awesome!
    Totally pumped for the drive video. Your video will decide if I get one or not, as there aren’t any good vids for OD on early CJ’s

• @65SEEJAYFIVE

Stay tuned! It should be the next video that I post, but I will let you in on this.....IT'S AWESOME!!!

• @gillafunk
      @gillafunk 4 роки тому

65SEEJAYFIVE
      I’m 2 hours from Jimmy Strauss, so tomorrow I take the F-134 down to him for a full rebuild, Pertronix ignition. I’m up in the mountains at 4K feet elevation so I’m really thinking OD would be very useful.
      🤘🏼
      Your content has really filled a gap in stock early CJ content on the Tube. I enjoy it as much as you like documenting the projects

• @-oiiio-3993
      @-oiiio-3993 3 роки тому

Do it.
      The Warn / Saturn OD is the single best upgrade for an old Willys 4X4.
      Be sure to match the spline count to your Spicer 18 T-Case output gear.

• @-oiiio-3993
      @-oiiio-3993 3 роки тому

@@gillafunk They are beyond useful.
      I used an old Ward OD (predecessor to Saturn OD) in my otherwise 'bone stock' CJ2A in the wonderful sandbox and rock pile known as Northern Arizona to great effect.
      I now use one on a hot rod 'flatfender' with pumped up 225 'Odd Fire' V6 and four speed for twelve gears forward, three reverse.
      The extra ranges fill in the gaps nicely and provide 'longer legs' for road trips.

• @TheOldaz1
    @TheOldaz1 3 роки тому

Great camera work, instructions clear and concise, but I wish you would adjust the linkage a little to stop the shifter hitting the dash.

• @65SEEJAYFIVE
      @65SEEJAYFIVE  3 роки тому

I did - I think I mentioned that in the video.

• @justfixitnow77
    @justfixitnow77 4 роки тому

Been thinking about doing this to my 61 because of my 5.38 gears and 45 mph top speed but was not sure if it was worth it. Your next video will be the deciding factor.

• @65SEEJAYFIVE

Stay tuned, coming shortly!

• @justfixitnow77
      @justfixitnow77 4 роки тому

65SEEJAYFIVE guess what I’m ordering this week
      😂

• @justfixitnow77

Guess what I am installing today!! Picked up a rebuilt OD from EBay for $900.

• @65SEEJAYFIVE

Sweet! Keep me posted on how it all goes.

• @justfixitnow77

65SEEJAYFIVE I finished the install after about 7 hours because I had to modify the Floor, toolbox, transmission cover and seat mounts but I am very happy the the added gear. Has no problem getting 60 now with enough road

• @yy5cav
    @yy5cav 3 роки тому +2

Hiciste un hermoso trabajo en tu Jeep, yo tengo un Willys M38A1 de 1961, me encantaría ponerle sobre marcha por que en rectas planas es muy lento, pienso que con una sobre marcha además de ganar 3 velocidades adicionales también ahorras combustible. ¿Cual es el precio en $? saludos desde Venezuela y muchas gracias por el vídeo.

• @yy5cav
      @yy5cav 3 роки тому

Muchas gracias...

• @javierzorzoli3646
      @javierzorzoli3646 2 роки тому

Buenas! Yo en mi Jeep Ika voy a colocar una 4,56, recuerdo que Jason tenía una relación de menos fuerza con el Motor Hurricane
      No creo que vayas a ganar velocidad, seguramente puedas ir a la misma velocidad con el motor más relajado, a menos vueltas ( el Saturn te baja cada cambio al 25, o sea que en 3ra que es directa quedaría a 0:75)

• @agustinlucio4237
    @agustinlucio4237 4 роки тому

Saludos desde 🇲🇽👍

• @noahs8495
    @noahs8495 4 роки тому

I have a ‘65 cj5 too and it’s got a 4 speed somehow 🤔 anyway great video!

• @65SEEJAYFIVE

That is possible, you have the F-head 4 cylinder?

• @noahs8495
      @noahs8495 4 роки тому

65SEEJAYFIVE Yep! Just like yours but it’s not tuxedo park.

• @-oiiio-3993
      @-oiiio-3993 3 роки тому

I use a Warn OD (Saturn's older brother) in my 'flatfender' with hopped up 225 Odd Fire V6 and four speed.
      Twelve gears forward, three reverse. A gear for most any off road situation, 'longer legs' on pavement.

• @darrelparlapiano2589
    @darrelparlapiano2589 2 роки тому

Could never get the transfer oil pan to seal, always dripped.

• @randy-mw5dq
    @randy-mw5dq Місяць тому

Do you need to shift the overdrive every gear or is it just a hi-low

• @randy-mw5dq
    @randy-mw5dq Місяць тому

Will that attach to the t150 transmission.

• @notsofast5495
    @notsofast5495 15 днів тому

where did you get the leather boots?

• @TexasADV
    @TexasADV 2 роки тому

another excellent vid! how well does that little radio work under the dash? (not the cb, the other one) can you hear everything (tunes/podcasts/etc) ok-ish while driving?

• @motorv8N
    @motorv8N 2 роки тому

Very nice job - nice camera work and good lighting. Subbed! Plus I really like the colour of your Jeep. I hope to be getting a CJ3a soon and would love to do this mod.
    Two questions - Do the instructions say anything about using transmission assembly lube on those gears during installation? And does that 80/90 gear oil have any additives? I’ve heard that modern oil can be bad in older cases but don’t know if that’s true.

• @65SEEJAYFIVE
      @65SEEJAYFIVE  2 роки тому +1

Thanks for watching! I haven’t watched the video in awhile and it’s been awhile since I did the install, but there was no mention of prelubing the gears. If I remember correctly, I did run the trans with the tcase in Neutral to get things moving/lubed under no load for a few mins. And to the modern oil, I’ve read til I was cross eyed about additives eating the brass syncros and such but I never once saw anyone with definitive evidence of a failure due to modern oil. So I don’t worry about it. That’s my two cents 👍🏻

• @motorv8N
      @motorv8N 2 роки тому

@@65SEEJAYFIVE - thanks for the info. By way of an update I did get that 49 CJ3a I’ve had my eye on so I’m more eager than ever to get an overdrive. You’re right about having to choose between screaming along in second or lugging in 3rd in some cases. Plus the drive from the cabin into town requires being able to do 80km/hr and that poor thing is pretty unhappy at that speed with current gears.
      Anyway another question - what did you use to get those pipe thread bolts out of the bottom of the transmission/transfer case and diffs?

• @missionukpsc6430
    @missionukpsc6430 3 роки тому

I have a mahindra cj3b upgraded to MDI 3200 engine, KMT90 (4+1) gb, 4wd.. looking for right overdrive to fit in

• @-oiiio-3993
      @-oiiio-3993 3 роки тому

These mount to the Dana / Spicer 18 transfer cases.
      Per this article, the Mahindra uses a t case with different spline count than had it's Willys / Kaiser / AMC counterparts.
      mahindraclassic.blogspot.com/2009/12/overdrive-for-mahindra-classic.html

• @mauriceforsgren4019
    @mauriceforsgren4019 4 роки тому

You make it look easy. I enjoyed it good video thank you . I have a 75 cj5 with the 3 speed transmission and the 6 cylinder. Would it be better to have the over drive installed or try and find a 4 speed transmission for it

• @-oiiio-3993
      @-oiiio-3993 3 роки тому +2

Your 3 speed already gives you six forward, two reverse with the underdrive (Lo range on T-case), with a Warn / Saturn OD you'd have nine forward, three reverse.
      Check the ratios available on the 3 speed, figure them with +25% for OD, compare to ranges of the 4 speed you're considering, decide which would be best suited for your use.
      I presently use a Warn OD behind a hopped up 225 Buick 'Odd Fire' V6 with 4 speed and Spicer 18 for the best of both worlds.
      Gear ratios in your 'pumpkins' can also be changed to suit and are part of the equation. Compare 4:88, 5:31, 3:73... .

• @ThatTanWillys
    @ThatTanWillys 4 роки тому

Show off! :)

• @gregcl6269
    @gregcl6269 2 роки тому

What tires are you running on that beauty?

• @65SEEJAYFIVE
      @65SEEJAYFIVE  2 роки тому

In this video, 30x9.50-15 BFG KM3 Mud Terrains

• @wkiurijj1
    @wkiurijj1 3 роки тому

29мин.13сек. ---------рама рваная! Ждёшь когда кто-то заварит раму??? :-)

• @CarlosGarcia-ox7dm
    @CarlosGarcia-ox7dm 3 роки тому

Have you painted the four wheel drive lever black yet?

• @helvispcleetus3906
    @helvispcleetus3906 3 роки тому

Where did you brought this

• @jimholmes2555
    @jimholmes2555 4 роки тому

Hmmm... A grand for an OD that will increase your speed 45%? In my '51 3A that's 4.5 mph faster! Not worth the thousand bucks!

• @65SEEJAYFIVE
      @65SEEJAYFIVE  4 роки тому +2

Not really looking for more speed, just more choices of gears when pulling different hills. Having a gear in between 2nd Direct and 3rd Direct makes it all worth it. 6 forward gears and 2 reverse 👍🏻

• @-oiiio-3993

I've never paid that much for one, but they are wonderful things.
      If you 'off road' at all, you'd be amazed at the improvement there is when you can 'split' every gear once more - underdrive ('LO' t case), standard, overdrive ranges available for each 'gear'.
      A three speed with Spicer 18 T case + overdrive = 9 forward speeds, 3 reverse.

• @-oiiio-3993

@@65SEEJAYFIVE Nine forward, three reverse.
      The T90 / Dana-Spicer 18 combination already provides six forward gears, two reverse, in 'stock' form (three standard, three 'low range' through t-case) without the added overdrive unit.
      With a Warn / Saturn overdrive added, the transmission = 3, 'low range' of t case (underdrive) adds a lower range to each, the OD adds a high range to each, 3+3+3=9. In other words, 1 Lo, 1 Standard, 1 OD, then 2 LO, 2 Std, 2 OD, and 3 LO, 3 Std, 3 OD in addition to three reverse (Lo, Std, OD).

• @edwardgrossniklaus251
    @edwardgrossniklaus251 5 місяців тому

your gears will get eaten up with that gear oil'us GL-1 mineral oil

• @onthefarmwithbigred6125
    @onthefarmwithbigred6125 4 роки тому

Great video