Valuable Precision T7920 NVMe Flex Bay Info (Also helpful for T5820 & T7820)

Поділитися
Вставка
  • Опубліковано 10 чер 2020
  • In this video we'll share some valuable info about the Precision T7920 NVMe Flex Bay Adapter. Initially we couldn't recognize our add-on NVMe M.2 SSD with the adapter. We dug deeper in to the issue, and found out why it wasn't working.
    Precision T7920 Hardware Upgrade Guide:
    www.greenpcgamers.com/technol...
    Check out our favorite tech products:
    www.amazon.com/shop/greenpcga...
  • Наука та технологія

КОМЕНТАРІ • 42

• @acheronianrose
    @acheronianrose Рік тому

Thanks, this video helped us confirm we could take these apart without messing anything up for putting it back together!

• @mcadutub
    @mcadutub 2 місяці тому

Thanks for this valuable video!
    Does one also need Intel VROC key to make this work or to enable SAS / Raid functionality?

• @user-nl1ed3uc6z
    @user-nl1ed3uc6z 10 місяців тому

So I have an NVME backplane and adapters, but I've moved my NVME's to an PCIE adapter. Can you run SAS or SATA drives on those slots?

• @BruceSchwalm
    @BruceSchwalm 2 роки тому

Thanks, very useful video! I have a 5820 and am trying to replace the NVME/SAS backplane with a regular SATA backplane. Can you tell me the part number of the standard SATA backplane?
    BTW, even though there is a 3.5" drive cage above the NVME cage, it will not accommodate a SATA drive. It appears that both backplane connectors are NVME/SAS.

• @GreenPCGamerscom
      @GreenPCGamerscom  2 роки тому +1

This is the standard cage/cables harness: TNNVP-M5CHV

• @jcamaisa
    @jcamaisa Рік тому

Nice video! Question I have a 5820. Whenever I put a regular 3.5" HDD in any of the 4 slots, it's spinning but my system is not recognizing any drive in any of the slots. Do I need an extra component to activate? I've been searching online for months and finally came across you guys and you guys are the closest help to possibly resolving this for me. Not really looking for using the slots for a NVMe drive, I just want the extra storage room with my regular drives. Thanks in advance!

• @GreenPCGamerscom
      @GreenPCGamerscom  Рік тому

Were all 4 of your slots originally configured for NVMe? You can check by looking at the backplanes and cabling to the system board.

• @riyanalmaiman
      @riyanalmaiman 9 місяців тому

@@GreenPCGamerscom How do I check this?

• @tinhorsehi
      @tinhorsehi 5 місяців тому

Check the BIOS settings for the onboard SAS controller. You'll have no SATA from any of the onboard ports with it disabled.@@riyanalmaiman

• @theone-lm3mx
    @theone-lm3mx 3 роки тому

Hi, great video. Any idea how can i get my 5820 detect my harddrive? Im going to install new os in the HD. Dont wanna messup company issue NVMe.
    Just wondering if i can place HDD to nvme slot? Will it detetrct hdd?
    Thanks!

• @GreenPCGamerscom
      @GreenPCGamerscom  3 роки тому

We've tried installing regular ssd's/mechanical drives in the NVMe slots in the past and they haven't been recognized by the systems. However, we still need to do more testing with this issue because it seems silly that it doesn't work with both NVMe SSDs and regular drives.

• @bhabanisanakrdas007
    @bhabanisanakrdas007 9 місяців тому

Does Dell T7920 Supports Default RAID facility to NVME drives...? If yes someone assist me...

• @rafaelbuse
    @rafaelbuse 2 роки тому

What's the max speed i can get over the dell flexbay nvme adapter? For example, i can use these new gen 4 ssds nvme and get over 5000 mb/s on this way of connection? Thank's

• @GreenPCGamerscom
      @GreenPCGamerscom  2 роки тому

Independently they will cap out at around 3gb read/write speeds. This is assuming you are using nvme ssds capable of running at those speeds. If you put them in a raid configuration, 5gb + is achievable.

• @chirpingbluebird
    @chirpingbluebird 3 роки тому

hows gaming on this? any video?

• @rhielx
    @rhielx 3 роки тому

Hi..I just bought Dell Flexbay tray M.2 and also a samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2, when I was going to install Windows 10, it didn't work. is there a way to do the installation.

• @GreenPCGamerscom

Yes, get one of these: www.amazon.com/dp/B00YT6YV3I/?ref=exp_greenpcgamers.com_dp_vv_d

• @EpicBr0
    @EpicBr0 11 місяців тому

Is the entire backplane different for all 4 drives? Im looking for a machine with 4 sas and no nvme and it seems like one backplane is 4xsas/sata and one is 2xsas/sata + 2 nvme.

• @GreenPCGamerscom
      @GreenPCGamerscom  11 місяців тому

You could swap out the nvme backplane for another sas backplane.

• @GreenPCGamerscom

@@EpicBr0 correct, there are 2 different versions.

• @KlipschHead281
    @KlipschHead281 2 роки тому

The 5820 has a permanent side panel with rivets, no clue how to remove without drilling them. Thanks a bunch Dell.

• @GreenPCGamerscom
      @GreenPCGamerscom  2 роки тому +2

You can replace the T5820/T7820 nvme backplanes by removing the standard removable side panel.
      www.serverworlds.com/dell-nkn20-precision-t5820-t7820-nvme-ssd-cage/

• @mitchl.9207
    @mitchl.9207 3 роки тому +2

ohhhhh!!......so that's what all that crap means on the Dell website!...thanks a ton, Bro!

• @keiden2269
    @keiden2269 3 роки тому

So does this mean that I can’t install an M.2 on my 5820 that didn’t originally come with an M.2.

• @GreenPCGamerscom

Correct, your T5820 will most likely require the upgrade backplane to work with NVMe M.2 SSDs. An alternative solution would be to use PCIe NVMe Adapter. Check out our T5820 Gaming Computer video for more details.

• @keiden2269
      @keiden2269 3 роки тому

@@GreenPCGamerscom So If I just buy the upgrade backplane and install it, I can use an M.2, or is there anything else I need?

• @huaosopheap3474
    @huaosopheap3474 2 роки тому

Hi does quadro A4000 support with dell t7910 or not bro

• @GreenPCGamerscom

We've never tried an A4000 in a T7910 Workstation. However, we are very confident that it would be supported. Let us know if you try it.

• @ben9835
    @ben9835 3 роки тому

Is it possible to use hdd with the m.2 drive

• @GreenPCGamerscom
      @GreenPCGamerscom  3 роки тому +1

Regular HDD/SSDs will not work with PCIe M.2 Backplane. Great question!

• @bking911
      @bking911 3 роки тому

@@GreenPCGamerscom So once you change out to the Back plane both hot swap bays will need to have m.2 drives correct? Having pulled out the previous SAS /SATA cable system that was in there I have noticed that the two bays (4 hot Swap) have combined cables and connectors. Do you have the part numbers from your Second T7920 system for the regular bay that will support standard HD and SSD's. Thanks!

• @fahmishideq2701
    @fahmishideq2701 Місяць тому

Can i install win10/11 in adapter nvme? And work normal?

• @Mburke9111
    @Mburke9111 2 роки тому

Hello, What's needed to use the NVME/SAS backplane with NVME drives and a MegaRaid 9440-8i? I want to run two NVME drives in a RAID 1 but I don't want to buy the Intel VROC dongle. I have tried to make this work but have run into an issue in which the MegaRaid will not see the NVME drives. If I switch to SATA drives the MegaRAID sees the drives. Thanks!

• @timurvaliullin271
      @timurvaliullin271 2 роки тому

No way to do "hardware" raid on nvme without vroc, because nvme interface directly go to CPU pci-e bus lanes. But you can always make software raid with windows and linux standard utilities.

• @hothiscold00008
    @hothiscold00008 11 місяців тому

Anybody ever get these flexbay drives to accept an image from PXE?

• @GreenPCGamerscom

We've never tried it. Let us know if you have any luck with it.

• @dshudson
    @dshudson 2 роки тому

I wish you went into the os install. I can find my m.2 drive now and install the os but it doesn't load windows

• @GreenPCGamerscom

If you are using Win 10 it should pop up as a storage device like any other storage device.

• @mauricehenry9131
    @mauricehenry9131 Рік тому

you canibalized the T7920 :(