Done with M4/3? ... What Happened to the OM-5? & why the X-T5?

Поділитися
Вставка
  • Опубліковано 27 сер 2024
  • Cameras:
    - Leica M10: (no affiliate link due to end of production)
    - Canon AE-1: amzn.to/3gko7dU
    - Olympus Stylus: (no affiliate link)
    Lenses:
    - Leica 50mm Summicron V5: amzn.to/3U0LFTa
    - Leica 28mm Summicron V1 ASPH: amzn.to/3GB1VqG
    - 7artisans 35mm f/2 vers. II:
    - Fuji 27mm f/2.8 WR: amzn.to/3EiKvMO
    - Canon FD 50mm f/1.8
    - Canon FD 50mm f/1.4
    - Canon FD 28mm f/2.8

КОМЕНТАРІ • 89

• @WilliamRees
    @WilliamRees Рік тому +16

I’ve been serious about photography ever since I purchased a Nikon D70. I went from Nikon DSLR’s to M43 to Fuji with a smattering of other cameras in between. I did churn through cameras and lenses and documented my family as well as our travels. Now, my kids are much older but when I look back at my vast library of images, I realize that the camera never really mattered all that much. I have captured great memories with what would be considered a “crap camera” by today’s standards and I regret wasting time and money chasing the elusive perfect setup.

• @ericrjennings
      @ericrjennings  Рік тому +1

I just put together my 2022 photo memories book where I used a ton of different cameras… they all look fine

• @coryirvin6651
      @coryirvin6651 Рік тому

This is great perspective, as someone just starting on the family documenting journey, it's just about finding something good enough and making it work. It's a hard mindset to keep when the GAS hits.

• @Hemlck
    @Hemlck Рік тому +11

I bought the XT-5 as my first Fuji camera …..and was disappointed that I didn’t find it any better to use than my Oly em 5 mark 3. I sent it back as it didn’t offer anything to me and was heavier etc…..gonna spend the £2k on a trip this summer instead👍

• @ericrjennings
      @ericrjennings  Рік тому

Where you headed? I’m headed to Nevis in April

• @m.stewart8094
    @m.stewart8094 Рік тому +14

meh I'm enjoying OM5 (and G9X). I've been bored with Fuji (have S10). Keeping the lenses for now (waiting for Xpro4) but I'm still loving the m43 size advantage especially with zooms.

• @CianMcsweeney
      @CianMcsweeney Рік тому +1

Yeah the S10 is a brain over heart camera imo, lacks the soul of other Fujifilm cameras

• @gordon3988
    @gordon3988 Рік тому +2

Makes sense to me; use the tools you need! I’m a big fan of the OM 5 for exactly for the benefits you outlined; small gear, weatherproof and great for landscapes, outdoor travel and an IBIS that works. Considering a Fuji for everything else and pleased to hear that you are finding the XT 5 a good fit!

• @WhoIsSerafin
    @WhoIsSerafin Рік тому +6

I just did the opposite of you, I tried out a friends xt5 and it just didn't do anything for me. I'm actually finding the om5 autofocus more reliable than the xt5 specially when people like my wife wear sunglasses all the time, xt5 hates sunglasses. My em5 mark 3 is going to be my permanent work vehicle camera. I don't know what is but I find the colors a little different in the xt5 than my x100v and I didn't like it. Regardless of your decision, I hope you are happy with your decision.

• @1883entertainment
    @1883entertainment 2 місяці тому +1

Recently switched to Fuji and am in the process of selling off my M43 gear for all the reasons you just described. Took all the words right out of my mouth. Some people say Fuji AF is the worst of them all, but that's definitely NOT my experience with the XH2s. By the way, I've been following your videos for the past few years. Found your channel while UA-cam surfing while in the hospital with the wife back in 2019!

• @weekendwanderer5514
    @weekendwanderer5514 Рік тому +3

I would love to see a G9 Mark ii with the 25mp sensor from the GH6 and phase detect!

• @hasenmyer
    @hasenmyer Рік тому +2

XT5 and FX30 (I know two different cameras) are within ounces of each other, so I'm going to just have to wait...cant' wait to see what Fuji's smaller lineup looks like once upgrades are implemented.

• @stevenbamford5245
    @stevenbamford5245 Рік тому +2

Good choice, I've just bumped all my MFT gear OM-1, 1X, and 6 Pro lenses and gone with Fujifilm XH-2 and X-T5.
    I also use a Sony FF, but the new line up from Fuji are a step up from the MFT system, the OM-5 was a step backwards.

• @AlpacoFilms
    @AlpacoFilms Рік тому +4

Totally get it, bud. You're sentiments for the OM-5 is exactly what I was stating before. It's just not an interesting camera. I'm sure the next iteration is going to be great. The OM-1 is a magnificent camera but the tools and speed is not something that benefits me in my work so I've relegated to selling that camera and going back to the E-M1 Mark II which to me is still the best camera ever made. Solid choice with the X-T5, personally I'm sticking to the older Olympus MFT cameras. I'm personally not a fan of that faux classic camera styling but they are cool to look at and I'm happy Fuji got their sh*t together on the AF performance. I got to use the XH2 a couple weeks back and it is nearly as good as the OM-1. That says a LOT considering it's 40mp and a crop sensor that gives a LOT more leverage for sports and wildlife shooters IMO compared to the OM-1. I'm I think the X-T5 has every photo feature from the XH2 so I'm think you're getting some of those advantages if not all of them. Sure OM still has some useful advantages here and there, but the older cameras give me exactly what I need and I don't need anything more.

• @qphase49
    @qphase49 8 місяців тому +1

Whatever tools work best for You Eric. I currently shoot OM/Olympus/Nikon. At 75 I've used many different systems over the years and have enjoyed most of them. If it helps Your workflow and raises the quality of Your output as a pro, go for it. At a hobby level - well -. In our house there is only one rule for hobbies; if it ain't fun, get a different hobby. All the best!

• @nirajgandhi5921
    @nirajgandhi5921 Рік тому +1

Love your journey. I finally ended mine (I think) after years. Fuji x-t5 with 18mm and 33mm f/1.4 for family documenting and Nikon z9 with pro lenses for pro work. Hopefully the x-t5 works out for you, it’s amazing for what I need

• @ikneadphotography
    @ikneadphotography Рік тому +3

I'm enjoying my Nikon Z5 and Viltrox 24mm lens for wrestling photography.
    I used Fuji for a bit but the grain really threw me off.
    As much as I love using my Fujifilm stuff, The Nikon delivers cleaner files and gets the job done.

• @shimmeringreflection
      @shimmeringreflection 2 місяці тому

Yeah, I didn't like the grain on the x-t20 so I'm going for an OM-5

• @JezdziecBezNicka
    @JezdziecBezNicka Рік тому +3

OM-5 seems like a misstep. OM-1 is so much better in every respect. And yes, it's to be expected, but the difference is a little too big than it should be.
    Since I'm an OM-1 owner, I'm definitely sticking with it. It's a swiss army knife.

• @KyleGustafson1986
    @KyleGustafson1986 Рік тому +1

Your journey is a wild ride

• @justinwadejones
    @justinwadejones Рік тому

My daughter is in all star cheer. That’s what started this whole camera journey back in 2018. I just wanted to take nice photos at cheer comps! Now look at me, GAS all the time!

• @ericrjennings
      @ericrjennings  Рік тому

I’m with you. My kids and LinkedIn videos (yes, LinkedIn video) started mine.

• @emudojo
    @emudojo Рік тому +4

I guess, it's fine?, I don't think swiching cameras this often will make you a better photographer/videographer, yes you can do it as it's within your budged by the looks, but practice more, learn a system well then decide if it's worth the change.

• @ericrjennings
      @ericrjennings  Рік тому

Yeah agree. I don’t charge to be a better photographer.

• @WhiskyRidge
    @WhiskyRidge Рік тому +2

The only time I reconsider leaving MFT is the size/reach per dollar and the occasional, Gee, I miss the Pen F.
    Other than that, unless something astounding happens, it's Fujifilm for fun and Nikon full frame for work/low light.

• @allenschneider1847
    @allenschneider1847 9 місяців тому +1

The XPro 4 is also one I'll consider if the change the LCD screen. That "drop down" deal doesn't interest me.

• @mainmain5303
    @mainmain5303 Рік тому +2

Omg you change cameras faster than the weather. I am confused and conflicted

• @quint57
    @quint57 Рік тому

We seem to have very similar experiences. I went from a complete Olympus kit to the Sony A7C and a Fuji X100F, then eventually replacing that with an A7IV and Xpro-3. As well as adding in a Leica Q2 Monochrom and M10.

• @richardfink7666
    @richardfink7666 Рік тому +4

The camera doesn`t make you a better photographer. I`ve been watching your videos for 9 months and I feel you have a new camera in every video....why? Also, I would be sorry for the lost money.

• @ericrjennings
      @ericrjennings  Рік тому +5

I am not pursuing new cameras to make me a better photographer. Just finding the one for me

• @JoeLopez
    @JoeLopez Рік тому +1

You will love that TT350F flash. I pop that on my X100V and bounce it indoors over my right shoulder. TTL is perfect every time :)
    I have the GODOX X1T-F TTL Strobe Trigger available to borrow for your event if you want to go off camera flash.

• @gerardjanolden
    @gerardjanolden Рік тому

Nice Eric, really good show.Thank you. I had Olympus since nearly 2 years(M1MKII+M5MKII)Sold the M1, too perfect, no fun shooting. Than T5 came, I rushed to the shop, sold Olympus and got me a T5, oh brother 40MP!!!!(am a former Fuji fan)Great files!! Beautiful camera! Top. Since April I shoot M5MKII and I got the OM5, never had more fun taking pictures.

• @TheBlkraven74
    @TheBlkraven74 Рік тому +1

I have the X-H2s and love that camera. I have an order in for the X-T5. Fuji did a great job with the latest cameras.

• @ericrjennings

I want the XH2s for video and the nicer evf / grip but that would require me to sell the Leica and/or forgo the Xpro

• @TheBlkraven74
      @TheBlkraven74 Рік тому

@@ericrjennings Yep, I get that. I've added wedding video to my offerings. I the X-H2s has been fantastic for that work. I will be selling my X-T3 and X-T4 for the X-T5.

• @michaelschablon6148
    @michaelschablon6148 Рік тому +1

Hey Eric. We have such similar issues and considerations when approaching camera gear and the photography we do. I just sold my Panasonic S5 as I felt I wasn't happy with the images I was getting SOOC when compared to my X-E4, and auto focus ...well you know. Found I was missing more shots of the kids messing around with the S5 compared to the X-E4. Having said that I have kept the Panasonic 24-105mm and 50mm just in case I go S5 ii. But for now, keeping the X-E4 and looking forward to seeing what come next from fuji - ie, let's see what the X-Pro4 brings. I did mention in a comment in one of your previous posts about the X-T5 and X-H2 and you did say you're not looking for a DSLR type body. By the way, I 've resurrected my E-M1 ii, sold the 12-40/2.8 and bought the 12-100/4 for my outdoor family adventures. All in one lens is great, weather sealed, not worried about bumping it on trees, rocks etc when bushwalking - call it my beater. But only in good light. And those Pro Olympus lenses are very good. Thanks Eric, always interested in your thoughts.

• @angeloplayforone
    @angeloplayforone 11 місяців тому

Great video comparing the OM-5 with Fuji X-T5. Micro Four Thirds has a problem is that you need fast and pro lenses and this combination makes it more expensive then other systems.

• @RyanH0809
    @RyanH0809 Рік тому +1

I'm really torn on the X-T5. I feel the exact same way about the X-T3 vs X-T4... I bought the 4 because of the battery and IBIS. But I would have preferred another 26mp over 40... I don't want the added strain on the camera, cards, hard drives and cloud storage. But I love all the benefits that came with the new sensor and processor. I understand why they did away with the battery grip. It sucks, but I get it. But the battery life on the X-T5 is also right at the point of being good enough to not worry about it under most scenarios. I bought the battery grip for my X-T2 back in the day for timelapses, but the battery life on that camera was awful.

• @robmcd
      @robmcd Рік тому

I dont know much about the Fuji but my Canon R5 files in CRAW are fine. Bit slow to edit.

• @j16m02
    @j16m02 Рік тому +1

No real interest in Fuji, (I'm a birder) but the images at the end are absolutely priceless!!

• @artjohnson01
    @artjohnson01 Рік тому

Totally understand your position. I’ve enjoyed your posts. As a M43 only user, it’s the focus of my interest. So best wishes to you and adios amigo..

• @ericrjennings
      @ericrjennings  Рік тому

Stick around for future discussion. Thanks for watching

• @alistairlambert3275
    @alistairlambert3275 Рік тому

Hi Eric, you've had a similar journey to me. Just sold my OM1 mk2 as I found it too finickity to shoot video and didn't enjoy picking it up. Miss the affordable glass through. I went back to an XT4 for still and got a Lumix S5 for video. I've come to the conclusion that I no camera excels at both video and photography. I still think the S5 has no soul. Every day I would pick up the Fuji and use it, there is something about the design and ergonomics which makes it feel so special.

• @CAPTOURS
    @CAPTOURS Рік тому

You have the right combo for you. The sports pics suit your style too. Well done for trying, but you found your home with Fuji.

• @MikePGuitars
    @MikePGuitars Рік тому

The shots look good and the eye AF is solid as a rock in this video. I think they did a good job balancing features vs not increasing the price. The only thing I’m bummed about is the lack of a battery grip. Recently got one for my T4 and I freaking love it. And yeah SOOC is the way for casual stuff for sure. Re: flash, our house is pretty dark inside so I lean heavily on the TT350 for Christmas, birthday parties, etc. It’s never disappointed, especially after I got some rechargeable AA’s. The cheapo Godox wireless trigger is good to have on hand too and it’s only like forty bucks.

• @ericrjennings
      @ericrjennings  Рік тому

Yeah the AF is rock solid. I wish I could add a grip as well but not a total deal breaker for me.

• @paulthomas8986
    @paulthomas8986 Рік тому +2

Totally get your approach to camera choice. If the camera does not inspire you and speak to you then there really is no point in having it. Fuji is one of the only cameras I have not grown bored of. And the new sensors and processors are a nice step forward. I feel there is definitely more room to grow with the Fuji system then with M4/3rd. I have always been a fan of the Olympus lenses but many times looking at my M4/3rd photos they are hard to distinguish between cell phone photos. That TT350 flash is a prefect fit for the Fuji cameras too. I have been loving mine. Picked up some Amazon rechargeable batteries and they work fantastic with it. Surprising how long they last in the flash for just using 2 batteries.

• @wikicamara
    @wikicamara 6 місяців тому

Having a EM5 mk II with bunch of primes and teles. Wanting to upgrade but mk III and OM5 seem like already outdated when launched… Thinking switching to Fuji but the investment will just be too much 🥲
    AF in Mk II is quite hit and miss and I hate getting back to the files and see my kid is out of focus…

• @kfbob364
    @kfbob364 Рік тому

I had Fujifilm x-t3 liked it a lot. However, I needed a more robust camera for wildlife outdoor adventure hence the e-m1 III and the e-m1x. Couldn't be happier. The focus on the x-t5 seem to be struggling a bit in this video.

• @allenschneider1847
    @allenschneider1847 9 місяців тому

I'm considering the XS20, I don't need 40mp but I like the weather sealing. The OM-1 seems pretty expensive; at that price point I could do XH2. Which would you prefer between the OM-5 or the XS-20?

• @Jeff_St_John
    @Jeff_St_John Рік тому

I have bounced back and forth between Oly and Fuji a number of times since the original E-M1 and X-T1 - there are things that are great about both and I always think about the other one that I don't have. The Pen-F is one that I still really have a soft spot for... I honestly do not know why Oly/OM seems so hesitant to create a new version as there seems to be demand. I am currently on the X-T5 as well. Just saying all this to say that hey, there are others of us out there in the same boat. Good luck man!

• @PaulMrPKcom
    @PaulMrPKcom 5 місяців тому

Did you use om-1? Was it still not good enough compared to Fuji?

• @GeekyNerdyTechy
    @GeekyNerdyTechy Рік тому

The S5II is awesome, give it a shot 😀

• @coryirvin6651
    @coryirvin6651 Рік тому +1

XT5 is a solid contender for me if i went for the newer generation. Curious to see what happens with releases this year. The rumor for the next fuji conference is the x-s20 unfortunately. Really want to see what an xpro4 or an xe5 would be, or hell, even the next round for the x100

• @sdhute
      @sdhute Рік тому +1

Me too curious about the x100v I don’t think just a MP boost will be enough for me to upgrade.

• @coryirvin6651
      @coryirvin6651 Рік тому

@@sdhute same, i think if they end up going with variations in focal lengths would be the only draw. I would imagine they'd put the improved AF in there maybe? I don't think we'll get an x100v upgrade for awhile. It'll probably go into the "luxury" category like what they're talking about with the XPro line from here on out

• @ghostgums
    @ghostgums Рік тому +2

I think x-t5 is perfect for you. APSC seems to be best of both worlds.

• @koba2802
    @koba2802 Рік тому

Kind of bummed you sold the Olympus. I'm thinking about it and it would have been great seeing you use it more. But totally understand the change to Fuji.

• @xtolr
    @xtolr Рік тому +2

Get yourself a voiglander vm-x closeup II, so m lens will shine. Leica Fuji good match

• @normee7249
    @normee7249 Рік тому

Interesting videos and viewpoints...not unlike some of my own thoughts. While entrenched in m43 bodies and lenses, like my Em5.3 w/great 12-45 and amazing 56mm. Your print-size video of m43 reminded me how much I can blow up the 56/1.4 lens. I still consider Fuji and Nikon though...the Z5 with 40mm (your excellent review) for FF, cost and tilt screen. Likewise the change in X-T5 with tilt screen etc...especially paired with new 23/1.4...hmmm

• @ericrjennings

Haha. This is my brain 🧠 all the time

• @JohnsClicks
    @JohnsClicks Рік тому +2

Oh Eric... I know you'll be back to M43. You have too many M43 viewers. I'm surprised about what you said concerning the high ISO color shift. I've always thought Olympus did a fantastic job with that, much better than Sony, Panasonic, and Canon. Not sure about Fuji.

• @ericrjennings
      @ericrjennings  Рік тому +2

Olympus does a good job all things considered but the image just loses detail and color accuracy above 3200

• @JohnsClicks
      @JohnsClicks Рік тому +1

@@ericrjennings I believe you said "color shifts" at high ISO. Detail, yes. I've had the GH6 for the past few months and I've so impressed by the 100mp modes. It feels like a cheat code with its motion compensation. Just go look at the DPreview test photos... I've been blown away for landscape and slow portraiture.

• @ericrjennings

I’ve always wanted a GH6

• @RyougiVector
      @RyougiVector Рік тому

Yeah obvious color shifts and splotches start for me at 12800 ISO

• @ericrjennings

12,800? Lol. 😂

• @sdhute
    @sdhute Рік тому

I’m making a change too 🤫. Heading back to 2005 with a 10.2mp CCD camera. BTW That portra 400 fuj receipe is pretty interesting.

• @Sorennn94
    @Sorennn94 Рік тому

What about the gh6 that has the most beautiful colors ever made !
    Also the new upcoming m4/3 panasonic cameras will have the new phase detection we've seen on the s5 ii

• @ericrjennings

I now own a GH6

• @Sorennn94
      @Sorennn94 Рік тому

@@ericrjennings looking forward to hear your thoughts about it in one of the next videos !

• @glennsak
    @glennsak Рік тому

The saga continues...

• @nellatrab
    @nellatrab 5 місяців тому

ua-cam.com/video/Ni4jUUguteU/v-deo.html

• @skipper4114
    @skipper4114 Рік тому +1

Hey Eric are you on instagram? Cheers from the North

• @ericrjennings
      @ericrjennings  Рік тому

Yes sir. I think my handle is ericrjennings