A ton of portrait tips (with the Fujifilm X-T5)

Поділитися
Вставка
  • Опубліковано 20 чер 2024
  • After my X-T5 review and the launch of the project for Fujifilm Global, I received a lot of questions about the portraits I shot. So I went through the behind-the-scenes footage and compiled a list of portrait tips.
    The first section is about what I call "Freeflow Portraits", choosing to work with only basic equipment to be in the moment, connect with the subject and be creative.
    In the second section, I show you how I work with ambient light, both natural and artificial. I also share my favourite natural light technique, talk about "bad" light and show you how I used a small Godox M1 RGB LED panel on a night shoot.
    The final section is more about the creative process that works for me on these Freeflow shoots.
    0:00 intro
    1:32 the power of simplicity
    4:22 light
    9:47 the creative process
    12:06 conclusion
    If you haven't seen my Fujifilm X-T5 review: • I shot with the X-T5 f...
    My X-T5 project for Fujifilm: • X-T5: Bert Stephani/ F...
    Visit my website for much more: www.bertstephani.com/
    Follow me in Instagram: / bertstephani
  • Навчання та стиль

КОМЕНТАРІ • 166

• @subliminaldoubt2092
    @subliminaldoubt2092 Рік тому +16

Hey man, I’m a working photographer and I’ve seen lots of videos about photography. This is by-far one of the absolute best videos I’ve seen in a while. Your experience and creativity really show in how you explain your approach to photography. I really appreciate this content. Ive subscribed.

• @lionheart4424
    @lionheart4424 2 місяці тому

I love natural light portraits, this video is awesome. Thank you!

• @WayneMurphyjmkphotography
    @WayneMurphyjmkphotography Рік тому +5

Finally an X photographer I feel I connect with! Love the work and videos. Keep them coming!

• @bertstephani
      @bertstephani  Рік тому

Thanks Wayne, new videos are in production

• @olivervilla6367
    @olivervilla6367 Рік тому +1

absolutelt inspiring. thank you 🎉

• @andybrining3090
    @andybrining3090 Рік тому +1

Another great video Bert - thanks for taking the time out of your busy life to post! Some really useful tips there

• @bertstephani
      @bertstephani  Рік тому

Thanks Andy, glad you got something out of it.

• @SamTaylors
    @SamTaylors Рік тому +1

Great video and great ideas. Most of all beautiful portraits. Thank you for sharing Bert - your content is always thoughtful and thought provoking.

• @bertstephani
      @bertstephani  Рік тому +1

Thank you Sam, that means a lot to me

• @fvsch
    @fvsch Рік тому +1

Loved this video. Great mix of technical and creative advice, with great video and photo illustration. Kudos!

• @bertstephani
      @bertstephani  Рік тому

thank you, making that mix is always my goal so I'm happy I achieved that.

• @bnwchris
    @bnwchris Рік тому +1

Thank you for this video and sharing your knowledge. Its really interesting and inspiring for me 🙂

• @bertstephani

Thank you Christian, If I can inspire just one person with a video I consider it a succes.

• @expatant
    @expatant Рік тому +1

Excellent presentation and some great points of view. One can always learn and improve ones photography even after shooting for years and you have put some thoughts in my head for upcoming shoots, thank you.

• @bertstephani
      @bertstephani  Рік тому

Glad I was able to provide some inspiration

• @tonyadamis4171
    @tonyadamis4171 Рік тому +7

Fabulous video! I came away with a few simple, very useful principles, plus a lot to think about regarding control, flexibility, and simplicity.

• @bertstephani
      @bertstephani  Рік тому

Thanks Tony. I'm glad it made you think about some ideas.

• @neoritz
    @neoritz Рік тому +1

This was a great video, quite informative and instructional. Thanks!

• @JakeKumar
    @JakeKumar Рік тому +1

Such a helpful and inspiring video❤Thank You❗️❤️

• @EllyJellyfish
    @EllyJellyfish 5 місяців тому

Thank your for this!

• @BrandonDavis985
    @BrandonDavis985 Рік тому +1

I loved this video! Your method of story telling is very enjoyable and the tips were things I've not heard before. I can't wait to see what comes next.

• @bertstephani
      @bertstephani  Рік тому

Thank you Brandon, new video coming soon

• @EnsoIlluminations
    @EnsoIlluminations Рік тому +1

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and your encouragement. Your presentation is very natural and your content helpful. I hope you will continue to make videos (on a more regular schedule).

• @bertstephani

Thank you for your kind words. The ambition is there to post more regularly but good content takes time to make. I'd rather make one video a month that I'm proud of than a boring video every week (there's already enough of those). But I'm definitely committed to make more educational videos.

• @studiojege287
    @studiojege287 Рік тому +1

Great video Bert! Tons of tips & trick from the master 🙏

• @bertstephani

I've just been doing this stuff for a loooooong time ;-)

• @JasonLawrenceNoel
    @JasonLawrenceNoel Рік тому +1

Free flow shooting is my favorite:) thank you for this video💪 very helpful! Perfect!

• @EatInTaiwan
    @EatInTaiwan 10 місяців тому +1

Thank you, this was very nice listen at. I will try to follow your suggestions, and see what I can get myself 👍🏻

• @rh5400
    @rh5400 Рік тому +1

The best photography video I have seen in awhile ,thanks sir

• @sigurdrille9693
    @sigurdrille9693 7 місяців тому +1

Thank you, very inspiring!

• @kbqvist
    @kbqvist Рік тому +2

What a great video, even including a philosophy of photograpy, in just 12 min! Do not worry about the length of you videos as long as they have content to match. Thanks!

• @bertstephani

Thank you Karsten, good to know that I'm on the right track here.

• @farosonico
    @farosonico 11 місяців тому +1

Very well explained and useful, thanks!

• @georges64
    @georges64 Рік тому

Fun and inspiring, Thank-you!

• @anthonymara4533
    @anthonymara4533 Рік тому +1

Great information, good video time, not at all too long. Nice point by point description of ideas, and conveying of techniques. Honestly, I felt the video itself was executed in a comfortable way, anyone form a beginner to an advanced or pro shooter could learn something from this.

• @bertstephani
      @bertstephani  Рік тому

Thank you Anthony, that's exactly what I wanted to achieve

• @benard702
    @benard702 Рік тому +1

Excellent presentation! You packed just the right amount of information in a single video and clearly illustrated your points. The content is 1st tier quality with emphasis on the creativity and less on gear. I have been mostly doing free flow without the articulation that you’ve presented here. I’m looking forward to your channel’s growth and wish the best!

• @bertstephani

Thx Ben, I hope to bring you some more good content soon.

• @lukjanssens6918
    @lukjanssens6918 Рік тому +1

Well done. Good format, great content and tips. Keep going.

• @stefankuhn6887
    @stefankuhn6887 Рік тому +5

thanks for sharing your experience with us, Bert. 15 minutes is a perfect length even if the video is full information. The expression “free float shooting” was new for me but it’s a nice technique I will keep in mind for sure. Like the “under cover technique” - I already heard and saw that eg a tunnel is a perfect for portraiture. And the low light photos in combination with the led light were really inspire. Looking forward to your next video!

• @bertstephani
      @bertstephani  Рік тому

Thank you Stefan, I'm already working on some ideas for the next video.

• @Saswat-TV
    @Saswat-TV Рік тому +2

Imagine what Joe the camera club president would have advised and then do the opposite! That’s the pearl of wisdom! Thank you for such a beautiful episode!

• @rdices
    @rdices 6 місяців тому +1

Great video…thanks for sharing

• @Racsophoto
    @Racsophoto Рік тому +1

This is, for sure, the most encouraging speech and knowledge share I’ve seen on this market. Professional, confident about the knowledge but always humble. One of the best videos I’ve seen. Congratulations 👏🏻

• @Deminimis2
    @Deminimis2 Рік тому +1

Thank you Bert for a really good video. I have been subscribing for a while but this video made me hit the bell. I can really use this technique.

• @iaincphotography6051
    @iaincphotography6051 6 місяців тому

Loved that my type of gig. I liked the bit about the camera club president too as the great Harry Callahan said "Being a member of a camera club taught me the type of photographer I never wanted to be".

• @fidiak
    @fidiak 5 місяців тому

Nice, thank you

• @blueanthias
    @blueanthias Рік тому +1

Thanks Bert,
    I enjoy your no frills down to earth approach.

• @bertstephani
      @bertstephani  Рік тому

Thank you!

• @blueanthias
      @blueanthias Рік тому

@@bertstephani You are very encouraging. As a new person to Fufifilm I’m a bit gun shy.
      I did buy that Godox M1.
      Thanks again, Karl

• @robbquinnimaging4321
    @robbquinnimaging4321 Рік тому +1

Bert, this was an excellent video and perfect in length. Just got yourself another subscriber!

• @bertstephani
      @bertstephani  Рік тому

Thanks Robb, hope to bring you more good content.

• @FrankLewis-nl
    @FrankLewis-nl Рік тому +1

Loved it!

• @limakilo1331
    @limakilo1331 Рік тому +1

Great content, thank you for the post.

• @susanacrosby1138
    @susanacrosby1138 Рік тому +2

Thank you!

• @denniss277
    @denniss277 Рік тому +1

Afdakskes FTW, great vid man! Thinking about getting the 56mm WR fir portraits soon

• @backwoodstrails
    @backwoodstrails Рік тому +1

Very nice photography and great tutorial. Loved the Domke bag, had the same exact bag over 40 years ago when working as a news photographer...it was the gold standard at that time!

• @bertstephani
      @bertstephani  Рік тому

thanks, to me Domke is still the gold standard ;-)

• @wanderlust139
    @wanderlust139 Рік тому +1

Loved your video!

• @JeffreyHauser
    @JeffreyHauser Рік тому +1

Thank you for a very nicely done video Bert. I agree with the 16mm, 33mm & 56mm lenses as being wonderful choices for portraiture. They are all phenomenal pieces of kit. I enjoyed your tips & your “thinking process” that you employed in your shooting scenarios. Best wishes for you & your channel.😊👍🙏

• @bertstephani
      @bertstephani  Рік тому

Thank you Jeffrey. I'm replacing the 16mm with the 18mm at the moment, but I agree.

• @karlklauda7739
    @karlklauda7739 Рік тому +2

Hi this is an excellent video. The length is just right. I can't agree more. I did some free flow shoots with my wife as model. This approach is working excellent. The X-T5 is just the right camera for this type of shooting. I'm waiting for better weather and that the X-Mas chaos is over. That some nice spots are free of the X-Mas markets and the people are out of the way.

• @bertstephani
      @bertstephani  Рік тому

Thank you for the feedback Karl, would love to see your free flow results.

• @MrPixelgrower
    @MrPixelgrower Рік тому

15 min. is just the right length. I have been a Landscape photographer for 25-30 years (since the film days). I think I have a new genre to tackle. Thank you for the ideas... Lots of great info in your video!😀

• @bertstephani
      @bertstephani  Рік тому

Thanks a lot for the feedback Gil. Good luck with portraiture, it's an endless source of joy and frustration ;-)

• @chrisburnard5157
    @chrisburnard5157 Рік тому +1

New to your channel and subscribed. Thank you so much, brilliant inspiration and learning.

• @tonyhayes9827
    @tonyhayes9827 Рік тому +1

Great video The photo @ 6:21 is amazing. Great mood. Simple gear (Godox light / daylight) can kick start creativity very nicely. This video breath of fresh air Thanks Bert

• @tonyfoulkes9289
    @tonyfoulkes9289 Рік тому +1

Brilliant, learnt alot.

• @TryingtoLearntheuke
    @TryingtoLearntheuke Рік тому +1

Really enjoyed the video. So much so that I subscribed to the channel. Looking forward to more content.

• @dereksmith41
    @dereksmith41 Рік тому +1

I had a “free flow” shoot in Beverley, Yorkshire UK, using my X-T3, and the XF16-80mm lens, at f/4, I took some great photos, it was last summer in bright sunlight, and I used the shade of trees and buildings to work the lighting. Excellent video really enjoyed your talk, and seeing the sample images.

• @bertstephani
      @bertstephani  Рік тому

Thx Derek, that 16-80 is a very versatile lens if you have enought light.

• @rosu1981
    @rosu1981 Рік тому

I love yu re video, Bert.. a lot of informations. Thx

• @chrismann7629
    @chrismann7629 Рік тому +1

Just came across your video and I really like your simple approach. Not a bunch of technical jargon that over complicates things. Good job! I've subscribed also.

• @bertstephani

Thanks Chris, it isn't rocket science so why pretend it is ;-)

• @taranoodtayo
    @taranoodtayo Рік тому +1

You're great, man. Subscribed. Inspired to get an X-T5/ or maybe an X-h2 because of your passion with Fuji. Very excited to 'shoot now' and learn later

• @ewikla1
    @ewikla1 11 місяців тому +1

Inspiring❤

• @silvasurfa9800
    @silvasurfa9800 Рік тому +1

Great advice Bert!... I love the way you work and though I still drive a ton of lighting around in my four wheel drive I have found the best images I have done are always when I just shoot with one camera and fast lens ... either my XT4 & 56,1.2 or my X100v ... you talk great wisdom! Lets see more video's! :)

• @bertstephani
      @bertstephani  Рік тому

Thanks!
      Beter to have a bunch of gear in the car and not needing it than the other way around. I also often have more gear and backups nearby, certainly on paid shoots.
      More videos coming up but it takes a lot of time to make a video and I usually end up doing it in-between other things.

• @cespenar666
    @cespenar666 Рік тому +1

This is the only way I shoot. Great video!

• @Rholmes2010
    @Rholmes2010 Рік тому +1

I did a free flow maternity session in New Orleans French Quarters a while back and it was probably one of my best photoshoot sessions.

• @ijovy3
    @ijovy3 Рік тому +1

Thanks for this video Bert! The 33 is also my "desert island" lens. i think its Fuji's best lens yet.

• @Vetsthrottletherapy
    @Vetsthrottletherapy 8 місяців тому +1

I really enjoyed this and your expertise and views. I am returning to photography after years and left mark IV canon for this X-T5 to give it a go. Thanks 🙏 again

• @bertstephani
      @bertstephani  7 місяців тому +1

Thank you and welcome back to photography ;-)

• @Vetsthrottletherapy
      @Vetsthrottletherapy 7 місяців тому

Thanks 😊 it’s good to be behind the lens again

• @zhecloud1
    @zhecloud1 Рік тому +1

UA-cam recommended me this video and im glad i click on it. I learn a lot with you in only 10 min. The technique u show us is impressive. Definitely i'm gonna try out!

• @bertstephani

Thank you Pablo and good luck with your own experiments!

• @l.nauwelaerts195
    @l.nauwelaerts195 Рік тому +1

Beste Bert, fijne behind the scenes video met goede tips. Bedankt, en Brusselse groet!

• @haroon420
    @haroon420 Рік тому

I’ve recently got into photography and whilst there are many very good UA-camrs who have helped me learn, your photography method is also what I aspire too. I want photography to be unplanned. And I’m even happy if I get no good pictures on a day out.
    Thanks.

• @iSchneggs
    @iSchneggs Рік тому +1

Wise and useful advice!! Thank you! It seems there's a techie battle for incremental pixel-level advancements, however, high quality photographs require more insight, experience, and experimentation than spec improvements could ever yield.

• @bertstephani
      @bertstephani  Рік тому

We all love new gear but I'm completely with you on this. The biggest improvements are made in the 10 inches behind the camera.

• @shy-guy5544
    @shy-guy5544 8 місяців тому +1

Very nice, informative video. With back lighting, do you use spot metering and fill-in flash? Thanks

• @bertstephani
      @bertstephani  7 місяців тому

In portrait shoots I don't really meter. I shoot manual and judge the exposure on the screen. No fill flash

• @7antonio9
    @7antonio9 Рік тому +1

Hi Belgium here! Great vid.

• @GeoffGrant2010
    @GeoffGrant2010 Рік тому +2

Bert- thank you very much! Great comments about kit, technique, and portrait shooting, although maybe not so much on what Fuji or the XT5 allows you to do, except the minimal kit. I don’t have the 33mm, but I do have the 23mm, and I’m going to do more with that at first to try more “environmental” portraits. I’m going to attempt more sense of place in a project that I’m starting. I’ll share more as it moves along. Thanks and have nice holidays! Geoff

• @bertstephani
      @bertstephani  Рік тому +2

Thank you Geoff. I've said pretty much everything I had to say about the X-T5 in the review and I think it's more important to talk about photography itself :-) The 23mm will be just great for the more environmental portraits. Looking forward to see your results. Enjoy your holidays too!

• @GeoffGrant2010
      @GeoffGrant2010 Рік тому

@@bertstephani and it was a great review too! Are you having any problem with eye autofocus?
      Thanks!

• @bertstephani
      @bertstephani  Рік тому

@@GeoffGrant2010 Eye AF is amazing on the new generation. I use it all the time now.

• @notyourkeyscrypto
    @notyourkeyscrypto 6 місяців тому +2

You have a real gift for expressing your ideas in a way that will help open the eyes of thousands of people who will watch this video. I have been photographing for two decades and have not seen any video that comes close to how well you have explained this process , how to keep things simple and adapt to any situation that is presented to you on the shooting day and not try to sell me anything. Very well done. Subscribed, and will share with others. Thanks

• @bertstephani
      @bertstephani  6 місяців тому

Thank you, that means a lot to me.

• @freddywop1738
    @freddywop1738 Рік тому +1

Lol I didn’t realize the photography I do is usually free flow but I do let the sun limit me so I’m happy I stumbled upon your video and learned a lot and inspired to carry on! I’m gonna upgrade from my canon rebel t6 to the Fuji xt5 and I’m debating on just getting the camera body and get a 23 mm wr or get the kit lens or the 33 mm u suggested and btw I mostly do portrait photography

• @bertstephani
      @bertstephani  Рік тому

It's just a name ;-)
      I would personally get the camera with the kit lens. It's actually a really good lens and at a good price if you buy the kit. Play around with it for a while and then see at what focal length you shoot mostly and buy a good prime at that focal length. The 23 is too wide for portraits. It works fine with kids and young pretty people but I prefer the 33 for portraiture.

• @freddywop1738
      @freddywop1738 Рік тому

@@bertstephani thanks so much for ur insight! I ordered the xt5 silver and 35 mm 1.4 r and it’s coming today I’m so excited!

• @brsaravia
    @brsaravia Рік тому +1

Hi Bert, great video. Excellent tips. I would like it to be more longer. I did learn again with you. Where can i find information about your workshops. Best regards

• @bertstephani

Thank you Ricardo. Go to www.bertstephani.com/newsletter to stay up to date.

• @brsaravia
      @brsaravia Рік тому

@@bertstephani Hi Bert, will you teach us about your xt5 settings for portrait photography? Thank you !! Best Regards

• @mewtwo34
    @mewtwo34 Рік тому +1

This was a good video, it game a lot of new perspective with lighting. How are you enjoying the XT5?

• @bertstephani
      @bertstephani  Рік тому

Thank you! As for the X-T5, it's a great camera but to my surprise I tend to gravitate just a bit more to the X-H2.

• @Realdjheisenberg
    @Realdjheisenberg Рік тому +1

Great video Bert. Only thing I’d do differently is to overlay the camera info on each shot (lens, focal length, aperture, iso and shutter speed). Other than that, great job!
    Where are you from? I was born in Waremme (BE). Now live in Chicago (USA) :)

• @bertstephani
      @bertstephani  Рік тому

Good point DJ. BTW I'm located near Leuven/Louvain

• @mickd1368
    @mickd1368 Рік тому +1

what t said, great vid good job

• @toykellie3
    @toykellie3 Рік тому +1

• @Avto28
    @Avto28 Рік тому +1

Some very nice tips indeed and the video length seems to be just fine considering the delivery, maybe some b-roll can be edited in a bit more coherently (that is to say maintaining more continuity and clearer cuts) at times but other than that lovely!

• @bertstephani
      @bertstephani  Рік тому

Thank you, I realy appreciate the suggestions as well

• @draculadicruz
    @draculadicruz Рік тому +1

Can you please do a review on the XF16-80mm f4 lens? which is coming as a kit lens with XT-5. Is that lens good? Planning to switch to Fuji.

• @bertstephani

It's definitely a nice lens. I have both the 16-55 and 16-80. The 16-55 has a bit more punch in the image and is F2.8 but it's also big and heavy. The 16-80 needs a touch more contrast in post but it's more versatile, smaller and lighter, and it has image stabilisation. You can't go wrong with the 16-80 in kit with the X-T5. Maybe add your favorite prime later and you're all set.

• @draculadicruz
      @draculadicruz Рік тому

@@bertstephani Thank you.

• @nickdual
    @nickdual Рік тому +1

Your model is beautiful

• @bertstephani
      @bertstephani  Рік тому +2

Everyone I shoot is beautiful, it's just my job to make them aware of it.

• @Deminimis2
      @Deminimis2 Рік тому

Perfect answer.

• @bushbeatnik4480
    @bushbeatnik4480 Рік тому +1

not too much info. Why? you set our expectations at the beginning, 3 sections, what and why. Interesting that you say there are two sides to a coin. I would argue, by explaining your process in free form portraits with limited gear, you have found what most do not see- that there are actually three sides to a coin. Love your content and just found it. New sub and working my way through the catalogue. heads or tails is easy and chance. the edge is intentional. cheers.

• @bertstephani

Thank you, that third side has got me thinking, thanks

• @hpaula1946
    @hpaula1946 Рік тому +1

Just discovered your channel.
    I've been primarily a Fuji person since my Nikon D-750 days, own an X-T3 and an X-T4, but have been tempted lately to get a Canon R6-2 for its low light capability, which has been a little less than satisfying with my X-T4, as well as focus accuracy, which again is not a strong point with my X-T4. I shoot a lot of low light indoors with the grandkids, and prefer not to use flash, so focus accuracy and low light capabilities are important.
    From all of the UA-cam videos that I have watched, it seems that the X-H2 and X-T5 have not improved at all on their low light, high ISO capabilities, and the autofocus is still significantly inferior to Canon and Sony. I'm pretty bummed out, as I was really looking forward to upgrading my X-T4. Thanks in advance for any insight into my dilemma.

• @bertstephani
      @bertstephani  Рік тому

I can't comment onthe R6, I haven't used it. AF has been improved considerably on the H2 and T5 - and even more on the H2s. Personally for me, they all work fine in low light indoor situation but your mileage may vary. Even with the previous generation, I never really had a problem in those situations.

• @kieronperalta6198
    @kieronperalta6198 Рік тому +2

Great informative video Bert. You're a great teacher! I'll now be keeping the awning technique in mind, great tip.
    I'm fairly confident in my ability to compose photos but the model posing and interaction is somewhat daunting especially as my only experience is with toddlers who don't comply with their daddy's instructions 😅
    Saw the snippets of you interacting with the models and you're a natural. Feel free to teach us the ways if you're up for it sometime!

• @bertstephani

Thanks Kieron, if you can deal with toddlers, you can deal with everyone.
      Honestly, it's just a skill. The good news is that anyone can learn it. The bad news is that it takes lots of time and practice.
      I'll put it on the list of ideas for new videos.

• @KudoYoung
    @KudoYoung Рік тому

Do any photographers ever take portraits of men or boys? I've never seen one. /s

• @bertstephani
      @bertstephani  Рік тому

Then you must have really paid a lot of attention to this video.

• @badhabit714
    @badhabit714 4 місяці тому

😂Foirst😂

• @brentmiller3250
    @brentmiller3250 Рік тому +1

Great video ... headed to your website to seem more of your work. I just found you using the search criteria "Fujifilm X-T5."

• @bertstephani
      @bertstephani  Рік тому

Thanks Brent, reminds me that an update to my website is long overdue ;-)