GAUGE THE ISSUE: What Is The Big Deal With The T3?

Поділитися
Вставка
  • Опубліковано 13 бер 2024
  • Swanage Railway Save Your Railway Appeal:
    swanagerailwaytrust.enthuse.c...
    Support 'Steam Locos In Profile' and 'Gauge The Issue' on Patreon HERE: www.patreon.com/steamlocosinp...
    John Coghlan's Quo website - www.johncoghlan.com
    Amazon - www.amazon.co.uk/Lockdown-John...
    iTunes - / lockdown-single
    Spotify - open.spotify.com/album/3ELhLj...
    Google Play - play.google.com/.../John_Cogh....
    UA-cam - • Lockdown
    Order your copy of 'Steam Locos In Profile" on DVD & Digital Download HERE: www.e-gmedia.co.uk/shop
    Click here to Like 'Steam Locos In Profile' on Facebook: / slipsegmedia
    This is a video critique. All images and footage are referenced under Section 107 "fair use" guidelines.
    All material is referenced under the US Copyright Act within Section 107's "fair use" guidelines. Most images are licensed under Creative Commons 2.0 and 3.0, OR are in the Public Domain. All Third Party content is referenced under the US Copyright Act within Section 107's "fair use" guidelines.
  • Фільми й анімація

КОМЕНТАРІ • 139

• @overpoweredsteamproduction513
    @overpoweredsteamproduction513 3 місяці тому +81

Honestly, just a beautiful breath of fresh air in an era where most rail fans are automatically attracted to the big famous stuff.

• @Jimboliah3985
      @Jimboliah3985 3 місяці тому +4

Or stuff painted in boring old BR black or green.

• @SalmanMentos
      @SalmanMentos 3 місяці тому +1

Yeah like scotsman, big boy, allegheny, sp 4449, nw 611, or literally most american 4-8-4 Northern

• @trainchugger53
    @trainchugger53 3 місяці тому +70

"The impossible has a price tag, but can still be done."
    Your deepest quote yet, Chris, and I'm happy to join you in making that impossible happen.

• @EllieMaes-Grandad
      @EllieMaes-Grandad 3 місяці тому +2

Anything can be done, given determination, but perhaps the price tag is that something else as valuable (or maybe more so) cannot be done and thus risks being lost?

• @valritz1489
    @valritz1489 3 місяці тому +62

The debate about "original" vs. "replica" brings to mind a Douglas Adams quote about a trip to Japan that, admittedly, has probably been brought up a million times before.
    He visited the Golden Pavilion in Kyoto, and remarked at how well it had held up since being built in the 14th century. He was informed that it had been burned down to the ground twice, rebuilt each time.
    "So it isn't the original building?" he asked.
    "But yes, of course it is," his guide insisted, rather surprised at his question.
    "But it's burnt down?"
    "Yes."
    "Twice."
    "Many times."
    "And rebuilt."
    "Of course. It is an important and historic building."
    "With completely new materials."
    "But of course. It was burnt down."
    "So how can it be the same building?"
    "It is always the same building."
    The ship isn't the wood, it's the intent of the builders.

• @michael32A
      @michael32A 3 місяці тому +1

🤔 I'll have to think about it.

• @grahamj9101
      @grahamj9101 3 місяці тому +3

Remember the old story about the old blacksmith and his hammer? He got it as an apprentice. It had two new heads and three new handles, but it was still his old hammer.

• @JohnGeorgeBauerBuis
      @JohnGeorgeBauerBuis 3 місяці тому +2

@@grahamj9101indeed, I’ve heard it told with a hatchet belonging to George Washington. There is also the ship of Theseus, of course.

• @creamwobbly
      @creamwobbly 3 місяці тому +4

To bring a note of existentialism into it, consider how your own body replenishes cells.

• @AtreiusLux
    @AtreiusLux 3 місяці тому +13

Having fallen down the rabbit hole of LSWR and LNWR locos I fully appreciate what's been achieved in getting this elegant engine running, hopefully I'll be able to make the trip to see her in steam.

• @TobysTrains
    @TobysTrains 3 місяці тому +21

On the 28th October 2016 I saw the T3 shunted in and out of King’s Cross in the Railway Children Stage Show. On the 28th October 2023 is Cabbed it at Norden station and it became my favourite steam engine! Victorian locos are alway more of a big deal.

• @chriskrebill1842
    @chriskrebill1842 3 місяці тому +15

People who want to critique museums without having to actually donate or put their own every in are so annoying. Go volunteer, get involved if you can. Museums across the world need more volunteers who actually want to be there.

• @charlesburgoyne-probyn6044
      @charlesburgoyne-probyn6044 3 місяці тому

Mention money and critiques vanish just like saying after you to those armchairs cheering the war in Ukraine

• @andrewyoung749
      @andrewyoung749 3 місяці тому +1

'People who want to critique museums without having to actually donate or put their own every in '
      erm, this may be a stretch but if you take of your sanctimonious 'i volunteer so i'm special' hat for a second and have a quick think about whom may be paying for something called the 'National Railway Museum' and how that may relate to, or even invert your 'without having to actually donate' wording. Clue is in the first word...

• @nicholastrainssd75m45
    @nicholastrainssd75m45 3 місяці тому +11

I love seeing trains run but there’s something special that Railway museums provide that tourist railroads I have been to just can’t do.
    And that’s the ability to really take in the huge size and amazing craftsmanship that went into building these locomotives.
    At museum’s you can walk along close to the engines and take photos from all sorts of angles but when it’s running you can’t get close and in my case some times I don’t get to get much footage because it’s not safe to take a selfie with a moving locomotive 😂

• @clockwork3494
    @clockwork3494 3 місяці тому +6

I'd like to add on to your point about salt water at 4:45
    I feel as though some forget that there's a difference between letting something sit and rust on the coast vs running it and constantly cleaning and taking care of it.
    Of course something will gradually rust away if left long enough by the sea, but it's not an overnight process nor is it something likely to happen with these engines since they're constantly being cleaned and maintained to avoid that.
    Another note at 5:45 about the hate towards museums too, I think the issue is people believe that everything should be running rather than "sitting and collecting dust" in a museum, which just.. isn't feesable.
    As much as I'd love to see museums have rotating schedules on what is running and what is in the museum for the day/week/month, that's a huge undertaking that would likely send them bankrupt as they wouldn't be bringing back nearly enough money to cover the expenses of restoration and operation for not only hundreds of engines and coaches, but also the thousands of workers, drivers, firemen and museum curators alongside permits etc.
    I understand the sentiment because I'm sure we'd all love to see the Mallard and Scotsman pull a double header, or the Stirling return to steam for rail tours, but it can't happen all at once as it's not something feesable for them to do.

• @metalheadrailfan
    @metalheadrailfan 3 місяці тому +12

"The impossible has a price tag, but can still be done."
    Me looking at Frisco 1522 in St. Louis...

• @JamesErath
    @JamesErath 3 місяці тому +7

The issue of museum exhibit versus full restoration has been one gripping the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania in recent times. Much of their larger steam locomotives have sat outside for decades, and the museum finally started a cosmetic restoration process for them as they plan to build a new wing to keep them indoors.
    Problem is, they're across the street from Strasburg Railroad, a well-known preservation line with fantastic restoration capabilities. Coupled with comments from the museum's restoration person that many of the locomotives are mechanically sound, fans have been pushing harder for the museum to run a locomotive. However, to meet safety regulations would mean fabricating a brand new firebox, and the museum believes that it would harm the historical authenticity to do that. Furthermore, many on the museum board feel like restoring a locomotive for service would compete with the line across the street.
    In my opinion, very few locomotives are entirely original at this point, and I think the best way to experience a locomotive is to see it running as it was intended to do, but that doesn't mean everything should be restored. The topics of what to restore, when, and by who, will always be complex, but its always a breath of fresh air when something unique gets to run again.

• @benjisterchi5195
      @benjisterchi5195 3 місяці тому

Great comment! Coming from someone who grew up with my Great Uncle’s Southern 4501 @ the
      TVRM in Chattanooga Tennessee.
      Was surprised at how many locomotives were just sitting outside in the elements rotting away, along with the Big Boy next to the parking lot.
      Great comment!

• @caelumvaldovinos5318
      @caelumvaldovinos5318 3 місяці тому +1

Personally, it would be fun to have the V&T "Tahoe" be restored. Yes, she'd need a complete rebuild and a new boiler. But, she's only 1 of 3 preserved standard gauge 1870's Baldwin 2-6-0's left anywhere and she would be a fantastic "fun" engine to see out and about.

• @EllieMaes-Grandad
      @EllieMaes-Grandad 3 місяці тому

* sitting outside in the elements rotting away * There's a video on Y-T about the Tanfield Railway which was visited on a 'dead' day in poor weather. It's a great operation but it has much rolling stock that will disintegrate before ever it can be restored. It's a tough world, getting tougher, into which costly reality intrudes . . . @@benjisterchi5195

• @Chepstowion_Adventura
    @Chepstowion_Adventura 3 місяці тому +7

Well I’m looking forward to meeting this locomotive in the Victorian weekend at the sea age railway.

• @jackchatfield5464
    @jackchatfield5464 3 місяці тому +3

EFE, Bachmann, Rapido or Hornby, really needs to consider doing a 00 scale model of the Adams T3

• @spring626
    @spring626 3 місяці тому +4

I'm very excited to see the BlueBells new replica LBSCR H2 Atlantic to be in steam. Would that have a Steam Profile when its running?

• @caledonianrailway1233
    @caledonianrailway1233 3 місяці тому +16

The big deal is it’s beauty (the Caledonian single is still better looking though)

• @toyotaprius79
      @toyotaprius79 3 місяці тому +1

I raise you a Bulleid Q1 class lol

• @terrier_productions
      @terrier_productions 3 місяці тому +1

I raise you a Stanier Princess Royal!
      But tbh, I do have to agree that pre-grouping designs are better

• @robertwilloughby8050
      @robertwilloughby8050 3 місяці тому

NER Class V? It is beautiful in it own way...

• @1471SirFrederickBanbury
      @1471SirFrederickBanbury 3 місяці тому

It goes well with a late type Stirling single as a duet too!

• @ThePillenwerfer
      @ThePillenwerfer 3 місяці тому +1

I've long thought there'd be a good case for getting a Single going as so few of us have ever seen one running.

• @trunky87
    @trunky87 3 місяці тому +2

I salute all the effort bringing the T3 back into service, too much money has been spent on such locos like Flying Scotsman, because it’s Flying Scotsman. People seem to forget - a locomotive in service on a preserved railway is a huge asset and just because it doesn’t meet the majority’s views it’s deemed a “bad idea”. Spend what was pumped into Scotsman over a few locomotives that can work on preserved lines all over the UK you’d have more steam in preservation. Too much focus has been put on certain locos and that’s put bad press on others. People forget the hard work that goes into just everyday maintenance and running of steam locos, it’s expensive enough - then there is overspending on something specific that does the same job. I’d rather have the T3 over Flying Scotsman on a preserved railway. It’s something different and fair play to Swanage Railway for making the return of a very elegant locomotive a reality.

• @EllieMaes-Grandad

* a few locomotives that can work on preserved lines all over the UK * I must agree with you. After 'Tornado' comes the P2, to join the ranks of 'big stuff' on the network. I recall that the Trust had plans for a smaller loco to follow the P2 (a K4?) which might have been a better buy, being branch-line useful, as will be the G5 being built down the line at Shildon.

• @ludwigtails
    @ludwigtails 3 місяці тому +4

This is more of a response to the what’s gonna happen to this channel in 2024 video.
    I honestly really like gauge the issue as it help expands my knowledge on British railway and some of us history and neat bits of details I never knew. I am not local from the UK however I am very much interested in the history of the British railways. So I do hope that gauge the issue would still be made in the future. Keep up the good work.

• @trainskitsetc
    @trainskitsetc 3 місяці тому +1

Missed a golden opportunity to open the show with a Seinfeld parody of chris on stage saying "whats the deal with the T3...." *bassline*

• @bendavis1575
    @bendavis1575 3 місяці тому +2

For over 20 years been doing trains I've seen so many trains in BR just board. This is so special. Normally I would not do a 3-hour journey drive. But seen this two times (The first time in October and in the winter warm up and going again to see it at Victoria Week. Just been filmed it is amazing to watch never get bored of a train like this.) Love more Victoria train Run Aging.

• @chriswade7470
    @chriswade7470 3 місяці тому +4

Hopefully MRM will let the GC at Loughborough have Butler Henderson.

• @AntoekneeDetaecho
    @AntoekneeDetaecho 3 місяці тому +1

Only my own opinion, but I feel the world is a better place for having this stunning loco back in steam and as mentioned has taught us far more than sitting still ever could, it’s like the difference between seeing Mesozoic skeletons against the opportunity to Diplodocus roaming free…
    The balance between originality and replication is difficult and there aren’t always easy answers, but sometimes, not always, the ‘spirit’ matters more than the flesh.
    My greatest regret is not seeing City of Truro in steam before it was retired, nothing would make me happier than to see her return one day…
    Where boilers are concerned, IF they have any historic value, I would consider there being an option to plinth and mount those parts in a museum whilst the frames are still serviceable. There’s a truth however that most locos are not carrying the boiler (or tenders etc) they were built with, just what they had at the end of their working lives, and for many those won’t be the parts they had during their most famous moments in history

• @Olleetheowl
    @Olleetheowl 3 місяці тому +3

Is there an argument, supported by a group, which states that a modern Diesel is not original and not fit for preservation, because the oil in the tanks is not the original oil that it was delivered with?
    Probably not.
    In normal everyday running there is maintenance. Which involves replacing, not only “consumables “ but also worn out “bits” (technical term). So while nothing is perfectly original it is still original.

• @EllieMaes-Grandad
      @EllieMaes-Grandad 3 місяці тому +1

Paddy's spade still digs excellent holes . . .

• @warrior3456_
    @warrior3456_ 3 місяці тому +2

being in museum is the best form of preservation if it was on a heritage railway anything could happen a driving mistake mechanical failure or worst case a boiler explosion

• @EllieMaes-Grandad

Even a "heavy shunt" causes expensive problems when operating . . .

• @warrior3456_
      @warrior3456_ 3 місяці тому +1

@@EllieMaes-Grandad not mention inexperienced drivers

• @joshslater2426
    @joshslater2426 3 місяці тому +6

As you said in your SLIP, Robbie Williams was born and died in the time it took for the T3 to return to steam. No one has seen it in action for 70 years, and it’ll introduce a new generation to Edwardian locomotives.

• @richardharrold9736
      @richardharrold9736 3 місяці тому +2

Robbie Williams, as in the Stoke-on-Trent pop singer? He's not dead. Or some other Robbie Williams I haven't heard of?

• @IoriYagami288
      @IoriYagami288 3 місяці тому +4

Don't you mean Robin Williams?

• @BeastofCaerBannog
      @BeastofCaerBannog 3 місяці тому +1

​@IoriYagami288 the good R. Williams

• @ChristheXelent
      @ChristheXelent  3 місяці тому +2

He does mean 'Robin', as I said, yes. But I get what he meant

• @joshslater2426
      @joshslater2426 3 місяці тому +1

I’m sorry, I did mean Robin. I get the two confused a lot since their names are so similar.

• @retrocd7991
    @retrocd7991 3 місяці тому +3

You should do the situation surrounding Kettering furnaces no.3 and the wibble storm it caused

• @BHuang92
    @BHuang92 2 місяці тому

The debate is what every museums anywhere struggle since the conception of the Ship of Thesus. Ultimately, it all comes down to perception.

• @joshuaW5621
    @joshuaW5621 3 місяці тому +2

Your videos are helping me through my nana’s coma.

• @ethmister
    @ethmister 3 місяці тому +2

I bet every older steam train had most of the parts replaced in the steam era, so saying they are not origional after an overhaul. People they likly not original by the end of steam.

• @joelightrailway2362
    @joelightrailway2362 3 місяці тому +3

Personally I’m glad that the T3 is in steam as it is nice to see the only Adams preserved tender in action.
    I do have a mixed of opinions as well like & dislike about museums like the one at York as it is nice to see engines on display as you can stand by any engines as well the engines are being undercover and no parts have been wear and tear. However seeing them in steam is something to experience to see a classes like the T3 in action. And if was me, I like to see two LNER tank engines like the J52 & J69 in steam & action on railways like the Epping Ongar and North Norfolk Railways.

• @kenharris5390
    @kenharris5390 3 місяці тому

The needle in a Haystack is a good analogy, but I thought an ancient and wise sage had a better one.
    “The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.”
    ― Confucius
    Great to watch another one of your thoughts on matters of steam locomotives.
    Thank you.

• @DangerAngelous
    @DangerAngelous 3 місяці тому

In Victoria, Australia I would love it if the Railway Museum in Newport gave out some older, more obscure steam engines to have rebuilt and restored to run. In operating preservation t's all K classes, R classes and J classes, with a handful of individual older tender engines too, but there's no broad gauge VR tank engines in steam at all. Sure there's Puffing Billy but that feels very limited. On the Mornington Railway where I volunteer, a tank engine would be perfect for us!

• @andrewfanner2245
    @andrewfanner2245 3 місяці тому +1

See also how the Tank Museum manage, very carefully, running time for Tiger 131 But I'd love to see the Q1 in steam again.

• @coffeeee90
    @coffeeee90 3 місяці тому

Great GTI Chris, great points well made 👍
    Hope things are starting to improve for you given events that have happened to you

• @STFN1976
    @STFN1976 3 місяці тому +1

If you want to know what a tiny 4-4-0 can do all you really have to do is look across the North Sea to your danish colleagues.
    The K class introduced 1894 has been a long favourite with preserved railways so much so that for a while 3 of the remaining engines would be in service at the same time. Their smaller size makes them more manageble for the private associations with limited means and manpower.
    In their time the K class numbered 100 engines built to an all danish design by chief engineer Otto Busse who is said have found his inspiration on a study trip to the United States. 50 engines were later rebuilt with slightly larger boilers and piston-valve cylinders and all became superheated with time.
    The K-class engine (unrebuilt) kept by Danish railway museum is also #563 - talk about coincidence!
    There is quite a few good videos of these engines being driven with gusto and panache here on YT.

• @STFN1976
      @STFN1976 3 місяці тому

A Christmas special being run on some of Copenhagens busiest surburban lines:
      ua-cam.com/video/0ykL2pR-Fo4/v-deo.html

• @captaincool3329
    @captaincool3329 3 місяці тому

Something I been thinking about too. Just this week, my local Richmond Vale Railway Museum was closed by safety order due to safety standards not being met for its demonstration line. Many smaller organisations can barely afford to keep up with maintenance and insurance costs anyway, so why not just become a decicated museum, with rollingstock preserved with accessible buildings for future generations to visit and interpret, especially if the demonstration line is nothing special anyway. Coal is another issue, but not yet here in Australia- here in the Hunter, 2 of the 4 lines on the 4-track Hunter Line are purely for coal trains, and every 20-30 mins, 3 diesels with 90-100 loaded bogie coal hoppers go to the Port of Newcastle, and a similar number return empty. Of course, you'd miss out on kids and families who want "a ride behind Thomas or a friend", but considering what's happened to the Thomas brand, that won't work forever anyway.

• @countluke2334
    @countluke2334 3 місяці тому +1

For me, a running steam locomotive is always to be preferred over one on static display. Even if that means changing parts, so it is not 100% historically accurate anymore. I'm fine with replicas, too.

• @richardharrold9736
    @richardharrold9736 3 місяці тому

It's worth saying that 563's paint was absolutely knackered. It needed a full cosmetic restoration at the very least... and the bottom end was in very good nick.

• @mikepowell2776
    @mikepowell2776 3 місяці тому

Responding as someone who has visited and later worked in museums and for the ‘heritage sector’ for several decades, I thought this a fascinating argument. The obvious aspect of museums is that they are static and therefore, even if admission is free, the vast majority of potential visitors will incur cost to simply get there. I appreciate that many artefacts have been preserved due to the efforts of real experts (especially those often rudely referred to as‘amateurs’ or ‘rivet counters’) to whom we should be grateful. I wonder, though, what percentage of visitors to heritage railways have anything beyond the most basic concept of what is hauling their train.
    Some (very few so far) museums have relaxed their roles as centres of excellence in order to arrange displays they feel will attract more visitors. This retrograde step will not benefit them in the longer term. The good ones, and the heritage groups maintain standards of research, technology and craftsmanship often lost elsewhere. I confess to recognising a steam locomotive but that’s about it, my main transport interests lying in urban transport and historic ships, amongst which the attrition rate is, unfortunately, quite high.

• @SteamLance
    @SteamLance 3 місяці тому +1

Only thing I really hope with the T3, is that the TSC model gets a redo for the sounds, mainly the whistles. Its so nice to hear them finally

@1471SirFrederickBanbury 3 місяці тому +1

It’s really just lovely to see such an elegant loco move under its own steam. On Mallard running, if the T1 trust by some miracle can beat her record, some A4 will have to rise up to the challenge. Sir Nigel Gresley or Mallard would be my first picks, with bittern in a close second.

• @BeastofCaerBannog
      @BeastofCaerBannog 3 місяці тому +1

There is absolutely no way on earth any owner of an A4 is going to allow their precious machine to be flogged to death for the sake of a 90 year old speed record.

@1471SirFrederickBanbury 3 місяці тому

@@BeastofCaerBannog unfortunately, it’s too true. Would be a shame to give the record up to the t1, a loco that has less potential for speed.

• @stephendavies6949
    @stephendavies6949 3 місяці тому

A very thoughtful video, presenting both sides of the debate. However, like you, I am firmly in the "well done to one and all" that have made this restoration happen.
    It's easy to criticise the efforts of others, but in the main the criticism comes from people who have never put time, effort or money into such a venture.
    I also agree with your broader points regarding museums and preservation.
    Please keep up the great work. GTI helps us all "keep it real".

• @mels1811
    @mels1811 3 місяці тому +1

Brilliant video Chris

• @xylicable
    @xylicable 3 місяці тому

Great vid and summary. Only thing I might add regards conservation in a museum is a capturing of the work done by the artisans that worked on them. Regards T3 that was done by folks at the works and unlike renewing a part, that work by those people in that facility can never be replaced. It is a trade off, now the t3 is restored it can make new memories for people who see it run / work on it. There are other examples whereby bc of where and who last worked on an engine should mean it is too valuable to run again. Lode Star, Caerphilly castle and City of Birmingham spring to mind.

• @andrewhotston983
    @andrewhotston983 3 місяці тому +2

The T3 is a relic of a more elegant age, and who in their right minds doesn't like to see some elegance in this utilitarian age?

• @EllieMaes-Grandad

An elegant age indeed, but the conditions in which people then lived and worked made such elegance affordable, for some people anyway.

• @andrewhotston983
      @andrewhotston983 3 місяці тому +1

@@EllieMaes-Grandad True, but now we've given up trying to create pleasant artefacts and spaces - modern railways are ugly.

• @EllieMaes-Grandad

I agree. Money won't be spent on beauty, but is there much to spend anyway? It's all directed at excessive personal consumption? @@andrewhotston983

• @DanielNotFreddy
    @DanielNotFreddy 3 місяці тому

Brilliant video. After watching this, I now want to see wantage no. 5 "Shannon" restored and running.

• @EllieMaes-Grandad

Got a spare house or two you can sell and donate the proceeds?

• @JojoCat2008
    @JojoCat2008 3 місяці тому

It was seen in the movie 'Steamboy'.

• @darkfrag83
    @darkfrag83 3 місяці тому

Nicely said sir. Cracking points, well made.

• @Hicksonssteamadventures
    @Hicksonssteamadventures 3 місяці тому

Great video chris learnt a lot can’t believe there was even a slight hope for a c1 coming back to life but t3 is definitely a sight to see shows there’s always hope

• @CPTRailfan
    @CPTRailfan 3 місяці тому +1

Blue Peter is back in steam !

• @SaltyVan
    @SaltyVan 3 місяці тому +1

she’s just a beautiful loco overall. design, sound, livery, and so on

• @bruceknights8330
    @bruceknights8330 3 місяці тому

I've always wanted to see the LTSR loco Thundersley restored. It's powerful, historic and ideally suited to a preserved line operation. Likewise sister loco 2500. 😊

• @theoccupier1652
    @theoccupier1652 3 місяці тому +2

The T3 looks fantastic

• @SDE1994
    @SDE1994 3 місяці тому +1

These past 10 years or so have been great for people like me who prefer pregrouping, more heritage railways are looking collecting and restoring preprouping stock to diversify themselves from each other, because having BR standards with Mk1s on every railway is boring

• @EllieMaes-Grandad

Boring perhaps (I like them) but functional. Keeping wheels turning and money coming in (for more than just the operating costs) has to be the name of the game, surely?

• @dukeofaaghisle7324
    @dukeofaaghisle7324 3 місяці тому

I saw no.563 on its first test run at Corfe. It was a beautiful sight. For me, it was for more interesting than the Flying Scotsman, which just seems over-hyped.

• @rachelcarre9468
    @rachelcarre9468 3 місяці тому

Superb analysis!

• @roberttatlow5535
    @roberttatlow5535 3 місяці тому

Since the newer build P2 managed to cast the monoblock cylinders perhaps NRM should consider getting one cast for the V2, Green Arrow.

• @EllieMaes-Grandad

Not cheap to do - what else might they not do as a result of the spend?

• @BeastofCaerBannog
    @BeastofCaerBannog 3 місяці тому +2

People (hard-core enthusiasts or otherwise) have been 'BR blacked' to death for years. Look at the real crowd pullers lately (coal tank, T3, L&Y 0-6-0 trio, FR.20) and you'll see they are the things with a bit of uniqueness about them. As much as I like a 9F, they're an overdone waste at this point. The T3 has the double advantage of being unusual and just big enough to handle a moderate load on a preserved railway.

• @TailsFan369no2
    @TailsFan369no2 3 місяці тому

Appreciate what you have is my 50/50 philosophy
    Still waiting for your musical views and PTC steam tests though

• @chrisvaughan159
    @chrisvaughan159 3 місяці тому +1

Still looking forward to the 00 model of it..........That's sure to follow?

• @EllieMaes-Grandad

A G5 model is now on sale, years before the repro loco will ever run.

• @tjmfarming9584
    @tjmfarming9584 3 місяці тому

Seeing 563 run on film has made me considerably fond of the engine. Unfortunately seeing as I’m in Australia - on the opposite end of the globe to the swanage, I doubt I’d be able to go see the T3 in person.
    However, the restoration of the T3, and Western Australia’s G class 233 Lechenaunt Lady to steam back in 2022 gives me hope that there’s a fairly good chance we will see more steam locomotives restored to operational condition. The big one for me, is obviously Mallard for its centenary, but also some of WA’s own engines that haven’t run for years. Particularly Dd 592, R 174 which I’d consider to be the 3ft 6in counterpart to the T3, and maybe (I’m 99% sure that it may never happen) just maybe restore the last Midland Railway of Western Australia steam loco B6. A massive stretch considering that the politicians down here are 10 times more idiotic than the ones in the UK now, as they’re hell bent on confining anything that belts out smoke to the museums or history books. But hey, if they do restore more of the WAGR steam engines in Bassendean railway museum it might give you the chance to take SLIPS down under Chris? Just a thought.

• @davidbarrell1307
    @davidbarrell1307 3 місяці тому +1

Adams elegance in action, better than the immoral amount spent on the A3

• @Popaldinho10
    @Popaldinho10 3 місяці тому

Not gonna lie the guy did a fantastic job with the t3. It's interesting that even tho it's a very old engine it's was like a bran new one as no knew much about how much it could do at the start. Either way it's a stunning engine and I can't wait to see more older locos returned to steam and the p2

• @Nastyswimmer
    @Nastyswimmer 3 місяці тому

Personally I'd love to see a Duchess given a crack at the speed record under the same favourable conditions that Mallard had.

• @acescionti711
    @acescionti711 Місяць тому

Mallard need to run for the centenary. It’s a gigantic milestone and major historic achievement Think of the money the museum could earn from ticket sales on her excursions as well. ESPECIALLY if the national network decides in a stand out move to let her run at speeds above 80 miles an hours. To possible maximum of 100 or 105. Let her really stretch her legs and perform on speed like her golden days pulling the coronation 100 years ago. A return to life for just a few years as she’s paraded across the country along main line routes and occasional visits to some of the most famous and beautiful haritage railways in the Union Every performance parameter meticulously measured as she runs. With the upmost best quality sound and video possible for the time recording every moment
    Hell. Maybe even have a few replica coronation express coaches fitted to run a special photography train where it’s made to look as though she’s hauling the original set but with modern photo quality.
    There’s so much you could do with her to do the engine justice for her 100th Anniversary. They just have to

• @alanrobertson9790
    @alanrobertson9790 3 місяці тому +1

On balance your videos are worth having and I'm glad you do them although I think they would be better still without the quirky presentation and the faces. Even Michael Aspel thought his personality was too important for the news. That's the trouble when people dwell on Maslow's hierarchy of needs rather than the task at hand.

• @Lighting_Desk
    @Lighting_Desk 3 місяці тому

For me The NRM is so much more than scotsman. Its model railways, groundbreaking desighn, icons ofbthe rails and some of the oldest trains like Rocket untilnshe was moved for the refurb. Its the last of a great era, rows upon rows of artifacts, education and engagement and an excellent excuse to get the train from Newcastle upon Tyne to go bask in trains. All of that with train rides in both mkniture and standard gauge on a free entry is why I love this museum so much, and I couldnt be happier to see the site get the TLC it deserves. And controversially I love me a pacer. I love nothing more than driving a pacer in the pouring rain on train sim.

• @EllieMaes-Grandad

I was with you there, right up to the 'Pacer' part . . .

• @stekra3159
    @stekra3159 3 місяці тому

It good that the NWR also perseves the UKs mistepos so we can lern never to bild paicers again.

• @JohnSmith-bx8zb
    @JohnSmith-bx8zb 3 місяці тому

It is now quite obvious that a massive shortcoming of NRM is that there is no decent length of railway from the NRM that allows controlled running of engines and rolling stock allowing visitors a ‘complete experience’.
    I am surprised with your Pacer comments as if it wasn’t for the Pacer’s many routes would have been lost.

• @EllieMaes-Grandad
      @EllieMaes-Grandad 3 місяці тому +1

Maybe so, but then more 153s could have been the better option. Were the 'Pacers' about railways, or subsiding bus makers?

• @JohnSmith-bx8zb
      @JohnSmith-bx8zb 3 місяці тому +2

@@EllieMaes-Grandad The Pacer was a shot term option to provide rolling stock when the Tory government of the day would not fund the nationalised railway fully

• @EllieMaes-Grandad

That was how it was presented, but was that all there was to it? @@JohnSmith-bx8zb

• @TheAmateurBasher1984
    @TheAmateurBasher1984 3 місяці тому

3:35 - You're gonna need a bigger hammer... 😁😅

• @adriancross5867
    @adriancross5867 3 місяці тому +1

Yes but why does the NRM have a Chinese locomotive and Japanese train I dont get that one surely the NRM should be about British railways?
    12:22

• @EllieMaes-Grandad

Exactly - why was there ever a Swedish loco at Ongar?

• @wideyxyz2271
    @wideyxyz2271 3 місяці тому

• @sSteppingStones
    @sSteppingStones 2 дні тому

Its a cool loco

• @alistairkewish651
    @alistairkewish651 3 місяці тому

Is it an outright transfer of ownership or a permanent loan? There again, what the difference?

• @ChristheXelent
      @ChristheXelent  3 місяці тому +1

Outright transfer. A long-term loan implies steaming fees are being paid to the owners for use of the engine. But the engine has been gifted to the Swanage Railway Trust

• @EllieMaes-Grandad

With contract clauses to prevent sale or scrapping? @@ChristheXelent

• @sophiaevans9908
    @sophiaevans9908 3 місяці тому

I'd rather see the T3 than Flying Scotsman, but that's my personal preference

• @stewartellinson8846
    @stewartellinson8846 3 місяці тому

This should never have happened. It was part of the national collection and should have remained so. The idea of transferring a public asset to a private organisation is simply wrong. It was wrong then, it's wrong now and a return to steam doesn't change that.

• @stekra3159
    @stekra3159 3 місяці тому

Wish the NWR coud have the money to bild full working replicas of all ther engiens to woud make for an more awsoeme place. To be abel to presve the orgianals and entertein the public.

• @AlasdairLowe
    @AlasdairLowe 3 місяці тому

She's a wonderfully pretty thing, a wonderfully worthy addition to the running fleet in the country. Utterly charming and god save us from BR liveries!

• @physiocrat7143
    @physiocrat7143 3 місяці тому +1

The Adams locomotives were technically very innovative, especially as regards the critical exhaust and blastpipe. A bit of research could turn up useful information.

• @malcolmgibson6288
    @malcolmgibson6288 3 місяці тому +4

I will take the T3 over that A3 junk anytime.

• @toyotaprius79
      @toyotaprius79 3 місяці тому +3

Yes...
      Audi is junk😂

• @JRS06
      @JRS06 3 місяці тому +2

As much as I love pre-grouping locomotives, I like Flying Scotsman too. It's popular for a reason, and I can see why.

• @bendavis1575
      @bendavis1575 3 місяці тому

Argee Malcolm Gibson t3 is better a3 away days of the week. For over 20 years been doing trains I've seen so many trains in BR just board. This is so special. Normally I would not do a 3-hour journey drive. But seen this two times (The first time in October and in the winter warm up and going again to see it at Victoria Week. Just been filmed it is amazing to watch never get bored of a train like this.) Love more Victoria Run Aging.

• @TheTrainMaster15
      @TheTrainMaster15 3 місяці тому

You hate FS because it’s popular to hate it without real reason. We are lucky we have it let alone any other loco and having such a massive hate boner for it just shows how much of a sheltered baby you are. FS hasn’t killed your family, called you ugly or stolen your lunch money. It’s a machine, and one that’s done more for preservation than you ever will

• @LNER985
      @LNER985 3 місяці тому +1

Flying Scotsman isn't junk.

• @activecamoflage6649
    @activecamoflage6649 3 місяці тому

Hay Chris I know I'm a little late on this and you may have probably already decided it but if you are willing would you be able to keep gauge the issue going? I know it's a little selfish of me to ask , but gauge the issue has really been my primary way of keeping somewhat in touch with what's going on in the British preservation would, call me lazy (if you may) but it can be difficult keeping track of things from the other side of the planet.
    Thank you for your time and the effort you've put into both this Chanel and railway preservation as a whole

• @terryaltherr2481
    @terryaltherr2481 3 місяці тому

3:34 We gotta honor the Trabant of the rails somehow

• @JRS06
    @JRS06 3 місяці тому +1

Hopefully the NRM doesn't give away any more locos from their collection. The T3, 28XX and Knotty Tank were more than enough. I think at this stage most of the collection should be kept static and safe to preserve them for future generations. Regardless of whether the loco is a big name in the heritage community, it's best to keep them under the care of the NRM. The T3 returning to steam is great, but I think it would be wisest to not steam any other locos that would cost even more to overhaul and would be wisest kept safe.
    The only thing I could potentially see them giving away is NER E5 No. 1463, simply because it's just a slightly improved 901 class, but even then that's unlikely.

• @tombarton4410
      @tombarton4410 3 місяці тому +2

The thing is thanks to the NRM giving them away it’s given them a chance to be restored, the NRM looks at what attracts the most people hence Scottsman but in order to do that it requires a lot of money so it’s a catch 22. Sure they might want to do up and run something smaller that is not a overrated financial black hole coff coff Scotsman like Butler Henderson or Green Arrow but they need to generate funds and the best way to do that is with there most valuable asset that everyone even non rail fans know.
      In regards to the Knotty tank from what I understand Foxfield will get it running eventually they did overhaul that saddle tank that was sent from the NRM and have recently completed Harden.

• @BeastofCaerBannog
      @BeastofCaerBannog 3 місяці тому +2

If the NRM giving away Green Arrow, Butler Henderson and the SECR D-Class meant them getting the T3 treatment, I'd be OK with that.

• @spankflaps1365
    @spankflaps1365 3 місяці тому +2

I saw Mallard running in 1988. Don’t see the point in steaming it again when there’s Gresley and Bittern.
    Save it for the future.
    I would rather they repatriate Eisenhower or Canada, and steam that.

• @JojoCat2008
    @JojoCat2008 3 місяці тому

It was seen in the movie 'Steamboy'.