$399 Budget Direct Drive Smart Trainer Review - Magene T100

Поділитися
Вставка
  • Опубліковано 24 сер 2024

КОМЕНТАРІ • 161

• @CharlesOuimet
    @CharlesOuimet  3 роки тому +2

If the discount is NOT working, you need to create/register an account and login BEFORE checking out. It should work after to get you $40 OFF :)

• @lijamesli4233
    @lijamesli4233 3 роки тому +4

Fantastic review! Bro, it's the most impressive video on entry level bike trainers on UA-cam. As a amateur, over 700 watts is such a high standard to achieve, T100 seems the great choice for me! And it's compact and silent, I like it very much!

• @luca7588
    @luca7588 2 роки тому +1

Bought the T100 after your reciew, love it, thanks Charles!

• @stephen4347
    @stephen4347 3 роки тому +2

This is a good trainer for someone with a heart rate monitor/power meter. I just bought a wheel on trainer no zwift just riding to a structured workout plan. I upgraded do to noise and I went with a smart option so I can try zwift.

• @user-vw7fz3eq1b
    @user-vw7fz3eq1b 3 роки тому +1

I'm using it, really satisfied with it.

• @tvKACAQ
    @tvKACAQ 3 роки тому +1

Great detail review 👍🏻

• @EddieRyce
    @EddieRyce 3 роки тому

A wireless unit about bloody time in this day and age. Very cool

• @RicardoChial
    @RicardoChial 3 роки тому +1

nice video, in resume, this semi-smart trainer is like a big power meter, but only can do 700w jajaja, thanks for the video. have a nice day, hi from Panama.

• @d.o9115
    @d.o9115 3 роки тому +1

Great 👍🏾 review bro.

• @nickbayer7847
    @nickbayer7847 7 місяців тому

Appreciate the video 👍👍

• @rachiewildflower
    @rachiewildflower 3 роки тому +1

Thank you for the video, its good to see a real review of something like this
    I am currently searching for a new trainer since my cheap magnetic one broke and then I purchased a newer one only to realise that it did not fit my wheels since I am 5ft lady! Can't get any bigger wheels or I'll never be able to get on, so was looking at direct drive since it doesn't matter about wheel size/frame (I hope).
    I liked seeing your girlfriend appear and give her opinion too, was helpful, thank you (: might be my next purchase!
    Is there anything else to know? Another review mentioned cassete doesn't come with it? (I don't know what kind I would have to buy and whether it matters)

• @CharlesOuimet
      @CharlesOuimet  3 роки тому

My pleasure! Glad you liked the review. You are right is doesn't come with a casette, you could go with the trainer to your local bike shop and they could sell you one and mount it!

• @theif2592
    @theif2592 3 роки тому +1

Charles! Would be awesome if you make a review of the t300 model!
    Thnx!

• @CharlesOuimet
      @CharlesOuimet  3 роки тому +1

Yeah later down the road I will! So far it's great, but I think it's too expensive outside of China

• @djspyk9111
    @djspyk9111 3 роки тому

I agree with you that direct drive trainers are the best but it's all a matter of how much you can afford to spend on a trainer. It's also true that wheel-on trainers are very loud or noisy and sometimes unstable (depending on the model and brand) - I own and use a Wahoo Kickr Snap, but I will always take such a trainer over this Magene T100 especially because of parameters like max. power, cadence, resistance and road feel.

• @CharlesOuimet

Still the kickr snap is an extra 100$ and pretty much out of stock everywhere ahah! I'd 100% go for the direct drive here. I hated my wheel-on taxc vortex

• @zoltawiewiorka9555
    @zoltawiewiorka9555 Рік тому +1

Literally best buy. Since 2 years in use. What is the language of the review? HUNGARIAN?

• @ChinaCycling
    @ChinaCycling 3 роки тому +13

I heard Charles and Joe were going to race up Alp D'Zwift on their Magene trainers, is it true? 🤣🤣🤣

• @aim-at-me
      @aim-at-me 3 роки тому

Aren't you Joe?

• @CharlesOuimet

Ahahah that would be hilarious to see how I can DESTROY you 🤣😜 JK

• @ChinaCycling
      @ChinaCycling 3 роки тому +1

@@aim-at-me ;) I've achieved pompus UA-cam status and started referring to myself in the third person.

• @ChinaCycling
      @ChinaCycling 3 роки тому +1

@@CharlesOuimet In my BEST form (2019) I could probably hold your wheel....just. But now, hahaha. 2 mins and I'm out the back door. Still, it's not about the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. 😉 Bring it.

• @CharlesOuimet

@@ChinaCycling Wow wise words from a wise man right here

• @MellowYellowCJ7
    @MellowYellowCJ7 3 роки тому +1

This might be a good race day warm up device. Battery powered! So, if I'm doing a workout like TrainerRoad or similar, would I just need to change gears and match the cadence to get the desired output power? Thanks for the review. I just found your channel. :)

• @CharlesOuimet

Yes I'll for sure use that to races for warmup instead of rollers, just with there were an handle.
      Yup the resistance is constant, so you just need to change your gears to output the power require. As shown in the video, the cadence sensor is just approximate. Glad you found it!!

• @DeepEndDiving
    @DeepEndDiving 3 роки тому

Good review

• @mikaeldambremont4204
    @mikaeldambremont4204 Рік тому

L'accent québécois haha chu cramper!! Bonne vidéo review complet et intéressant!!

• @Aprendeinglescantando2425
    @Aprendeinglescantando2425 3 роки тому +2

Nice review , one concern , the adapters for 148 mm boost thru axle adapters comes right out of the box ? Or is necessary to buy it separately? Thks you

• @CharlesOuimet

Hummm good question! Maybe send them a question email. It was in my shipment because I requested it, but don't know if it comes by default

• @DanielHegartyVids
      @DanielHegartyVids 2 роки тому

did you find out?

• @MrTicomachado
    @MrTicomachado 9 місяців тому

Can i use this device without playing any "game"? Just training!

• @richardking6985
    @richardking6985 3 роки тому

The Gravat 2 or the T300 from magene can be found for around 600USD.

• @Grunge_Cycling
      @Grunge_Cycling 3 роки тому

I bought my Gravat 2 for $300 plus shipping lol. Try harder.

• @CharlesOuimet

How and where? It's more available outside of Asia at that price..

• @raphaeltiziani7476
    @raphaeltiziani7476 3 роки тому +1

6:03 why should cadence be a useless metric? My coach lets me do lots of strenght work on the bike also and it improved my power at low rpm when Im climbing steep mountain passes.

• @CharlesOuimet

Cadence work can be usefull, but having the exact metric I don't think so. You either grind, normal, or spin. No need of having the exact number because we all have different twitch muscles. Some people can't spin more than 110 while I can do 180. If a structure workeout say to do 120, it would not be representative for each person muscle ability.
      Thus, you either grind, normal or spin, that's my though on it.

• @quintennn
    @quintennn 3 роки тому

I don't mind the Max power, at least not right know. I would buy it if it could do automatic resistance

• @Jk-ie3rd
    @Jk-ie3rd 3 роки тому +1

Great honest review! Im currently just inches away from checking out on this trainer. However do you have issues related to flywheel overheating? Or disconnected power meter during a ride?
    Since this will make up my mind and i appreciate your share toughts

• @CharlesOuimet

Hey Jason! Didn't had any power drop or overheating from my testing. My GF has been on it for the last weeks with no issue!

• @adyakristanto
    @adyakristanto 3 роки тому +1

hello charles, i've watched your video 3 times .. is this trainer suitable for endurance training? thank you

• @CharlesOuimet

Absolutely! I'd say it's best for endurance and not sprints

• @adyakristanto
      @adyakristanto 3 роки тому

@@CharlesOuimet yaa..if you are faced with a condition, night work for 1 season (such as winter), and if you cycle during the day or evening there is too much traffic. I think it's a pretty good investment

• @leonard.isaiah
    @leonard.isaiah 3 роки тому +1

Nice, I just need a cheap option like this that won't wake up the whole neighborhood.

• @teamasprec9167
    @teamasprec9167 Рік тому

Can i fit 12speeed shimano cogs?

• @ramouflard
    @ramouflard 3 роки тому +1

one order with your code mate ;) . Keep it up

• @CharlesOuimet

Cool man! I'm sure you'll enjoy it

• @ramouflard
      @ramouflard 3 роки тому +1

@@CharlesOuimet Hope so. Not too sure about riding indoors but with a pretty high probability of new lockdowns in France in 2021, I'd be happy to have one :) . Also cool for short and efficient sessions during lunch breaks ;) . We'll see !

• @bet609
    @bet609 3 роки тому

bolts installed upside down. rear leg/foot seems to be installed otherway around

• @CharlesOuimet

Figured out the bolts were upside down, but doen't change anything in the end... rear leg doesn't have a direction... or maybe? lol it still works

• @bet609
      @bet609 3 роки тому

@@CharlesOuimet bike is off center so need longer legs on drive side just like the front leg/foot

• @CharlesOuimet

@@bet609 thanks! I'll check it out

• @CavenInToTheWorld
    @CavenInToTheWorld 3 роки тому

Hi. I want to buy this. Im not gona use zwift. But i want to use this for having a sweat when weather is not permitted to cycle. So can you still recommend this for just having a workout when times I can't cycle outside?

• @maheshjagwani6003
    @maheshjagwani6003 Рік тому

Hi ! Any long term reviews on this? Whats the longevity like? Any issues?

• @DavidR8
    @DavidR8 3 роки тому

Thanks for the review. Was the $399 price in CDN dollars?

• @arifrahmanhakim6636
    @arifrahmanhakim6636 2 роки тому

Said T100 doesn't have speed sensor, is it?
    But i see in your zwitft, your speed is indicated.
    Can it connect with garmin edge130 instead computer?

• @CharlesOuimet
      @CharlesOuimet  2 роки тому +1

It sends power data to zwift and then zwift calculate speed

• @Laogai001
    @Laogai001 2 роки тому

Can you stick a wahoo speed sensor on the flywheel? This is for me.

• @garrettcal1812
    @garrettcal1812 2 роки тому

Hi. Great video. I just purchased the Magene t100. I'm riding a 8 speed Specialized cassette. I installed an 11 speed cassette on the trainer. it keeps skipping and my connection to the app is sketchy. Any thoughts. Thank you

• @CharlesOuimet
      @CharlesOuimet  2 роки тому

well is your bike 8 or 11 speed? This is not cross compatible!

• @fabricioorrego5783
    @fabricioorrego5783 3 роки тому

Is the price in US or CAD? Merci Charles pour le review!

• @nicgagnon121
    @nicgagnon121 2 роки тому

Bonjour Charles, j'ai un Kinetic rock & roll et je veux le changer pour un a entrainement direct car celui que j'ai presentement est encombrant et je n'aime pas le fait du rouleau sur le pneu. Me suggeres-tu le T100 ? Merci encore :)

• @CharlesOuimet

Salut! Moyens pour le T100 à cause de son max power de 700w. Si jamais tu veux courser sur zwift, c'est impossible de faire le finish :(
      Mais sinon c'est super pour le budget. Ma copine utilise tout le temps

• @TristanTaillon
    @TristanTaillon 3 роки тому +1

Gab get a compliment:
    Gab-...LEAVE A THUMBS UP! Peace!

• @garrettcal1812

Hey Charles. How's the trainer holding up these days. I may purchase one soon

• @CharlesOuimet
      @CharlesOuimet  2 роки тому +1

Fine! My girlfriend used it all the time. Works great!

• @davidhicks7160
    @davidhicks7160 3 роки тому

Did you have any issues with your derailleur running into the trainer case? My long cage 105 RD hits the case where the v-belt lives and won't let me go into the largest rear cog

• @CharlesOuimet

Thats weird! No I havent got that issue

• @davidhicks7160
      @davidhicks7160 3 роки тому

@@CharlesOuimet Thanks for the reply; I agree it's strange!

• @diegoeleazar9154
    @diegoeleazar9154 Рік тому

Hi, im plannig on buying one. Did you have any issues with th t100?

• @garrettcal1812

Hi Charles. Hope all is well with you and your girl. I got the trainer but having connections issues. Any thoughts???

• @CharlesOuimet

Weird? We never had any issue with her trainer

• @garrettcal1812

@@CharlesOuimet Hi again. Update. Downloaded Zwift, no connection problems. Onelap not so good. Thanks

• @glassr11
    @glassr11 3 роки тому

Hi Charles. I currently use tacx vortex wheel on for 40 minutes a day for exercise. I slightly increase slope to make it feel like uphill for a better sweat. I don't use zwift. I was looking at tacx flux to get a better ride. Should i consider this instead. Thanks! Will my tacx app still tell me speed and distance with this?

• @CharlesOuimet

Hey! This is better than vortex, but at that point, youre maybe better go straight to the Flux, I love my flux!
      I'd recommend this trainer for anyone who is looking at a first trainer

• @glassr11
      @glassr11 3 роки тому

@@CharlesOuimet Thank you for the quick reply. There are so many details to consider. I do like having the option for the trainer to automatically adjust, so probably makes more sense to go for the flux. Aside from higher watts, any other details to consider in this decision? Thanks again for your help!

• @glassr11
      @glassr11 3 роки тому

@@CharlesOuimet Ever see any deals on the flux s? All I've seen is $749.

• @CharlesOuimet

@@glassr11 not really!

• @CharlesOuimet

@@glassr11 I dont think so! I've said it all into this vid!

• @KazuyaST
    @KazuyaST 2 роки тому

Bro can i use this trainer and use my crank based power meter with swift?

• @CharlesOuimet

Absolutely! But you'll still be limited to 700-800-ish watts sprints due to the lack of resistance

• @esalanainoca3010
    @esalanainoca3010 2 роки тому

Is it good for Ironman Training?

• @CharlesOuimet

if you don't sprint. It's good enough!

• @miguelesteban8775
    @miguelesteban8775 3 роки тому

Which PM did you use in the race? Built in t100 Pm or external Pm?

• @CharlesOuimet

built in PM, reads a bit high!

• @miguelesteban8775
      @miguelesteban8775 3 роки тому

@@CharlesOuimet thank you for the answer. Also i would ike to get your opinion on hyper x and lun wheels? Which is better overall with best value as being a priority?

• @CharlesOuimet

@@miguelesteban8775 LUN if it's your first carbon wheels, hyper if you are looking for the best performance! The carbon spokes are amazing. Watch my videos on them

• @EddieRyce
    @EddieRyce 3 роки тому +1

and then i watch on and hear it is semi smart. man they take with one hand and give away with the other

• @CharlesOuimet

Yeah that's the issue of being wireless ahah

• @leflate
      @leflate 3 роки тому +1

It’s actually not smart at all. No adjustable resistance. And there’s no power meter per se, it’s just a speed sensor with a resistance curve applied to it, and that’s why it’s not super precise.

• @EddieRyce
      @EddieRyce 3 роки тому

@@leflate semi smart is like when you got a TV and found out it was HD steady and not actually an HD TV #gutted lol

• @leflate
      @leflate 3 роки тому

@@EddieRyce i know, what’s weird is all other reviews actually describe this as non-smart

• @user-ss8vu7mh9e
    @user-ss8vu7mh9e 3 місяці тому

So you need to change the title to include 'semi'

• @roadiemuhsil9821
    @roadiemuhsil9821 2 роки тому

Bro how can you say cadence is useless metric cadence soo important for cheap trainig thats how they train they in kerala even cad sensor value soo expensive we use gears and we can calculate powrd

• @CharlesOuimet

Having an exact cadence metric is not the most important one, not the cadence itself. You spin, you grind, or you go 90rpm

• @roadiemuhsil9821
      @roadiemuhsil9821 2 роки тому

@@CharlesOuimet 100+ is my comfort cadence 😎crisfroome

• @jjedwardpopuli3513
    @jjedwardpopuli3513 2 роки тому

is this compatible to a thru axle ?

• @guiannemojica9030
    @guiannemojica9030 Рік тому +1

did I hear girlfriends??😂

• @leflate
    @leflate 3 роки тому

So no ERG mode? Not very smart.
    Cadence is an important metric for Sufferfest training.

• @CharlesOuimet

Thus the semi-smart term. At less than $400 for a direct drive, I'm all ok to ditch the ERG more that I've never use anyway...

• @leflate
      @leflate 3 роки тому

@@CharlesOuimet ERG and cadence are super important to structured training apps like Trainerroad and Sufferfest, and even Zwift training plans. This thing doesn’t even have a power meter it only calculates power through a speed sensor with a resistance curve which is why its accuracy sucks. I hate to say it, but did you watch Gplama’s review before? He tore it apart.

• @scotth3354
    @scotth3354 3 роки тому

Trainers don’t have power output, they have resistance.

• @nickvandam1214
    @nickvandam1214 2 роки тому

I don't see the point of this trainer. I'd always go for a pedal power meter and dumb trainer with a higher max power for less cost. Sure it has the drawbacks of a wheel on trainer (noise, and needing a separate tire), but you get a power meter that can go with you anywhere.

• @CharlesOuimet

No perfect products exist! This one is great for some cyclists, not others

• @riffmeisterkl
    @riffmeisterkl 3 роки тому

It looks like a kickr core..

• @StarCraftHeros
    @StarCraftHeros 3 роки тому +3

Is this dude kidding about cadence being useless?

• @emilebrunelle7010
      @emilebrunelle7010 3 роки тому +1

If you heard right, he said it because the cadence it showed wasn't right, so it was pretty useless to check it

• @StarCraftHeros
      @StarCraftHeros 3 роки тому +1

@@emilebrunelle7010 I was listening incorrect due to being in a sleepy haze. my apologies

• @emilebrunelle7010
      @emilebrunelle7010 3 роки тому

No worries ahah

• @CharlesOuimet

I do think cadence is an useless metric as long as the average is anywhere between 80-100, ideally 90 as lot's of research shows.
      But some people might be more grinder, some more spinner depending if they have slow or fast twitch muscles. We're all different on that point, so following workout all the time with a specific cadence all the time, I personally find it useless.

• @16gero95
    @16gero95 3 роки тому

If the accuracy is anything like their t300 it's not worth it tbh

• @CharlesOuimet

I did not do power accuracy testing in this video, because it's not important for those who will buy this trainer, they are beginners and probably don,t have the notion of power accuracy. It's rated at +-3% and I've seen it's somewhat around that. Even if it was +-10%, it's totally fine for beginners. For the T300, GP Lama found it was somewhat under-reporting all the time, but China Cycling video show some accurate data. I'll have to test that one ;)

• @lereveure
      @lereveure 3 роки тому +1

@@CharlesOuimet It's true that testing a company's claim about the 3% accuracy for smart trainer should be pretty important. For example, I would love to buy that type of trainer for my GF, and maybe for a backup smart trainer if mine were to break. Especially now, if you have a pair of favero assioma, doing the comparison would take like 10m.

• @gplama
      @gplama 3 роки тому +2

@@lereveure I agree David. If a company makes an accuracy claim, it has to be tested and verified to be true and correct. Anything less here in Australia results in massive fines by our consumer protection body. RE: The T300. My test protocol covered from 0W to ~1200W with steady state efforts from 200W, 250W, and 300W for extended periods. I'm more than happy to see people repeat my testing. Only then can my data be compared to other tests.

• @16gero95
      @16gero95 3 роки тому

@@CharlesOuimet it's not only about accuracy because in the end of the day all power meters will read the power a little bit different. It's more about the trainer being consistent that if it shows you 200w one day and 200w the next they are the same power and not 20 watts apart.

• @Grunge_Cycling
    @Grunge_Cycling 3 роки тому

I can’t believe how much more money you guys are charged for Magene products overseas. Maybe you guys are just used to overpaying lol.

• @CharlesOuimet

Ahah yeah they are super inexpensive in china... Not sure why this big markup.

• @williamdegrasse3140
    @williamdegrasse3140 2 роки тому +1

Je suis sûr tu es québécois aahahah

• @hk9443
    @hk9443 2 роки тому

this isnt a smart trainer is it?

• @jjmoto65
    @jjmoto65 3 роки тому

Maybe you should go back to wheel on trainers just for how noisy they are. I wonder what your neighbors think when they hear you going for a win. Well you do have a cute girlfriend so I guess they think other things are going on Lol.😉

• @CharlesOuimet

AHAHAHAHA wow. Good one.

• @jjmoto65
      @jjmoto65 3 роки тому

@@CharlesOuimet Haha nice to see you have a sense of humor. In all seriousness I really enjoyed your review and felt it was well done and honest. Keep the great content coming.

• @samom8062
    @samom8062 3 роки тому +2

"They have no control over what I'm saying" - of course they have, since this IS sponsored content 😉

• @CharlesOuimet

This is not sponsored content, Magene partnered up for a video by providing the product for an indepth review, and I've tested indepth and shown all the plus and negatives to help you guys with the decision to go with this budget or not.

• @samom8062
      @samom8062 3 роки тому

@@CharlesOuimet my bad...so in terms of a partnership agreement, you'd still have to hold your end 😉

• @CharlesOuimet

@@samom8062 not at all. I could have shit on the product if it was. I'm not obligated to represent in any positive manners, I'm being true as always 😁

• @samom8062
      @samom8062 3 роки тому

@@CharlesOuimet I appreciate your honesty and content, I just dislike the disclaimers 😉

• @CharlesOuimet

@@samom8062 then how you like have preferred? I'm all ears 😁

• @davidalejandropaniagua586
    @davidalejandropaniagua586 3 роки тому

Crap don't buy

• @CharlesOuimet

i think it's great for a budget trainer! Also easy and light to bring to races for a proper warm up

• @romainm7147
    @romainm7147 3 роки тому

Patetic comment about girlfriend...

• @CharlesOuimet

What's wrong lol? This is the perfect trainer for her