Givi rack fabrication for Triumph T120

Поділитися
Вставка
  • Опубліковано 27 сер 2024
  • I ordered this Givi rear rack and the front shock mounts didn't fit. So I made lemonade from lemons and did some fab work to make it fit. I think it came out really nice and it looks factory new. Its a little bit of a long video but it shows how to take your time and think things through to overcome obstacles when things don't go as planned.

КОМЕНТАРІ • 22

• @bobhenshaw918
    @bobhenshaw918 11 місяців тому +3

Hi Greg, just fitted one (GIVI SR6410) to my Bonnie, ..... it was an easy 10 minute job. At 7.20 mins on your video, it shows the problem.... the rear mudguard is in the way. There are 4 Torx screws holding the guard in place, two at the back each side of the seat lock mechanism, and two at the forward end of the mudguard each side of the rear light/indicator cable connector. The seat lock cable has to be unclipped from its "S" shaped holder on the left hand side of the mudguard, then when the four Torx screws are removed, the mudguard lays gently down on the tire, allowing ample room to line up the rack. Loosely fit the four rear bolts which hold the rack in place each side of the seat lock, then screw in the two hex screws into the threaded holes in the back of the upper shock mount. Tighten everything and refit the seat. I hope this helps others. BOB.

• @woodtickgreg6926
      @woodtickgreg6926  11 місяців тому

Glad everything went well for you, it is a solid rack and I do like it. Even if I dropped the fender on mine the brackets where way far off. I don't know what the problem was with mine but I'm happy with the outcome. Glad yours bolted right on.

• @richardkim3138
      @richardkim3138 10 місяців тому +1

Hi Bob, what year and model is your Bonnie? I get almost an inch of space between the mounts on the front that attach to the shock.

• @woodtickgreg6926
      @woodtickgreg6926  10 місяців тому

@richardkim3138 sounds like a similar issue as mine. Some guys they bolt right on for and some don't.

• @bobhenshaw918
      @bobhenshaw918 9 місяців тому

@@richardkim3138 2023

• @woodtickgreg6926
    @woodtickgreg6926  Рік тому +2

One of the viewers said he ordered the rack for his 2023 t120 and it bolted right on. I have no idea why mine was so far off but it was. Anyway I'm really happy with Givi products.

• @ethereal_synapse
      @ethereal_synapse 11 місяців тому +1

I also had to take the brackets to an anvil to pound them out so they would fit correctly. The shock mounting brackets were too narrow and the top bracket was crooked so I used washers to level the rack with the bike. As frustrating as it was, after the fabrication it is a great strong rack.

• @AndreaPinto
    @AndreaPinto Місяць тому +1

🙌🙌🙌

• @markthompson9684
    @markthompson9684 9 місяців тому +2

No need to remove the shocks. You need to remove the rear mudguard/fender to access the mounting bolts on the ‘inside’ of the shocks.
    I’m not the ‘sharpest tool in the box’, but I figured this out in 30 seconds!!

• @woodtickgreg6926
      @woodtickgreg6926  9 місяців тому

Yeah I figured that out as I went along, lol. And yeah everybody has told me about dropping the rear fender and I figured that out too. But the brackets where still very far from the frame on the inside. A few other guys have told me they had the same problem. Most of them bolt right on but mine didnt.

• @johnanderson9735
    @johnanderson9735 7 місяців тому

Nice mod. I mounted mine in the stock position, and since it was off just a little on one side I put a few good scratches on my rear fender. I ended up dropping the rear fender out of the way and just used the bolt to pull the ‘off side into the frame. If I had a welder, your method would have worked well.

• @woodtickgreg6926
      @woodtickgreg6926  7 місяців тому +1

Some guys have had no problems with the instal. They just dropped the rear fender and it bolted right on. Mine was way off and the bolts would not have pulled it in. Oh well, I made it fit. I'm happy with the outcome.

• @markwood9755
    @markwood9755 Рік тому +1

Shame to refabricate, I am pretty sure you need to drop the rear mudguard/fender this would have revealed purpose mounting threaded holes on the inside of the frame, mount bolts from inside out and then refit mudguard, that’s how I recall doing it.

• @woodtickgreg6926
      @woodtickgreg6926  Рік тому

I thought about that but the brackets where still 2 inches away from the mounting points on each side. The brackets actually came to the inside of the fender, not to the outside. This would have been a lot to bend and it wouldn't have sat flat against the Frame. Like I said in the video, this rack must have been for a different model, the bonneville T120 being wider in the rear.

• @markwood9755
      @markwood9755 Рік тому +1

@@woodtickgreg6926 Fair call, anyway excellent problem solving skills and the satisfaction of a job well done, looks great as a finished installation 😀

• @gcburns4
    @gcburns4 Рік тому

Yes, this was correct rack. I'm here because of how annoying it is. It will go on and fit behind shocks with some force and wiggle. Problem is there is 0 room to get the bolt in behind it without taking the whole bike apart. I put mine only using the 4 seat bolts and it is very secure but I wouldn't want to do any touring with lots of weight in a top box.. mine is technically not fully mounted, but works good with no movement even applying lots of force. Putting on a rear rack probably shouldn't require a professional set up and taking guards, tire and shocks off to see what you're looking at, but pretty much required for this specific product. Anyway I bought my bike used and he threw this in free (still in box, no doubt dealer warned him about the install process).. so not too mad.

• @woodtickgreg6926

I'm not 100% sure but I think there may have been a model change to the t120 in 2021. The rack wasn't even close on my 2023, the front mounts for mine where inside of the fender and over an inch almost two inches away from the frame on both sides. And as you said even if it did line up with the frame the fender would have been in the way and I would not have been able to get the bolts in. I'm glad I was able to make it work but I also understand most people may not have a welder or the abilities to do metal work and re-engineer the rack to fit. Mine is very solid now and it looks factory installed. I did a short trip with a loaded top box with no issues.

• @dwheeler016
    @dwheeler016 Рік тому +2

Ah Another Ebay purchase gone wrong

• @woodtickgreg6926

Wasn't really their fault or the sellers, it was listed correctly. Actually I think it was my fault as the instructions say 2016, and that's it. I assumed it was 2016 and up, my bad. It's OK, it worked out good with a little fab work. So it wasn't buyer beware, it was buyer didn't pay attention. 🤔

• @alexanderirwin7271
    @alexanderirwin7271 9 місяців тому

Why didn't you simply remove the 4 screws supporting the rear mud guard can be moved out of the way then simply fit the rack refit mud guard job done in less than 30 minutes tops

• @woodtickgreg6926
      @woodtickgreg6926  9 місяців тому

Because even if I did that it was way off, not even close to the frame by at least an 1.5" on each side. It would have took some serious bending to get it to the point that I could have bolted it on. Not all the racks are Iike this, but I have talked to a couple people that had the same problem.

• @Chrisnylan
      @Chrisnylan 7 днів тому

So glad I read this.. Thanks