Making a Cabinet for the Tormek T8

Поділитися
Вставка
  • Опубліковано 4 кві 2019
  • A while ago we bought a Tormek T8 sharpening machine. To use it optimally it needs to be at a quite low height. Tormek sells a stand like this, but it's very expensive. So in this video, I'm building my own one out of wood. It will then also have a bunch of drawers for the sharpening jigs and accessories.
    Link to the leveling feet: • BEST DIY Leveling Feet
    Support me here: www.patreon.com/mariushornber...
    or support me through my Amazon wishlist: amzn.to/2QoQbhw
    Follow me on Instagram: / marius.hornberger
    Enjoy the video!
  • Навчання та стиль

КОМЕНТАРІ • 138

• @joecahill8165
    @joecahill8165 5 років тому +22

Thank you for making a build video. You tubers seem to have forgotten how to build stuff, just a lot of “shop talk”.

• @cokefridger
    @cokefridger 5 років тому +52

"If you dont't want to make it perfect, at least make it adjustable" - We need a t-shirt with this ^^

• @leon_mnl
      @leon_mnl 5 років тому +7

cokefridger it is a frase from jeremy schmit

• @washoecreative595
      @washoecreative595 5 років тому +6

Jeremy Schmidt has become a UA-cam legend.

• @EvelOttos
      @EvelOttos 5 років тому

Absolutely. I'm adopting this as a new mantra.

• @dasstackenblochen9250
      @dasstackenblochen9250 5 років тому +1

@@leon_mnl I heard a similar phrase years before Jeremy Schmidt had a UA-cam channel. (Edit: Which is nothing to detract from his well-earned reputation)

• @leon_mnl
      @leon_mnl 5 років тому

Das Stackenblochen okee i didn’t know that,i’m not english

• @MariusHornberger
    @MariusHornberger  5 років тому +68

What do you think about the logo I put in the corner of the video thumbnail? MHW stands for two things: "My Homemade World" and "Marius Hornberger Workshop"

• @patkub2
      @patkub2 5 років тому +8

It looks little bit like "Marius approved", but i like it

• @thetik100
      @thetik100 5 років тому +1

Looks good

• @kiliwinkler2982
      @kiliwinkler2982 5 років тому +3

Does it stand for Marius Hornberger Woodworking?

• @sylvainbosse1344
      @sylvainbosse1344 5 років тому +2

Marius, all your work is about great craftsmanship, perfect execution and precision. Honestly, I don't feel like this logo conveys these values at the moment.

• @Yonatan24
      @Yonatan24 5 років тому +2

The text is way too small so it can't be read, but if it could, it doesn't mean anything almost everyone, honestly.
      If you want to add text, write something _enticing,_ if not, enlarge the object in the thumbnail to make it more visible.

• @sg-ug6sl
    @sg-ug6sl 5 років тому +34

Now that is some rock solid joinery. So much better to see than all the pocket screws everyone seems to be using nowadays.

• @anthonydtobias
      @anthonydtobias 5 років тому +2

So so so satisfying to see someone say that! Agreed!

• @Felix-wi7nb
      @Felix-wi7nb 5 років тому +2

What's the problem with pocket holes🤔

• @Justchuck69
      @Justchuck69 5 років тому

@@Felix-wi7nb This machine weights a lot and maybe pocket holes would not hold up over time as these mortise and tendons would !

• @Felix-wi7nb
      @Felix-wi7nb 5 років тому +3

@@Justchuck69 my problem is I that I only ever hear people talking about pocket holes being weak, but I've never seen them fail

• @Jer_Schmidt
    @Jer_Schmidt 5 років тому +10

Great project, it looks perfect! (...as a result of being adjustable, partly)

• @swingbelly
    @swingbelly Рік тому

You should make these stands for sale on an order basis. Not many of us have a well equipped workshop such as yours. Yes, the Tormek TS-740 Sharpening Stations are FAR TOO EXPENSIVE. One could easily buy another T-8 or even all of the jigs and additions for that price. Thanks for the video. Will give many of us something to search for aftermarket. 🍁🍺

• @burgle66
    @burgle66 5 років тому +2

You truly are an engineer and craftsman, Marius. Your videos are really well done too. Thanks for sharing another project!

• @MoPoppins
    @MoPoppins 5 років тому +1

Thanks for your generosity to Marius, Amazon wish list fulfiller! You’re da best. 🏆🤙🤗

• @raphaeldasilvanogueiradeaz7193
    @raphaeldasilvanogueiradeaz7193 5 років тому

Parabéns, muito bom acabamento.

• @mrtnsnp
    @mrtnsnp 5 років тому

Ah, the joy of sharp tools. Nice addition to the workshop.

• @acanadianwoodworker
    @acanadianwoodworker 5 років тому +2

Nice Jer Schmidt shoutout - "If you can't make it perfect, at least make it adjustable" - I think about that everyday when I'm doing my non-perfect work :)

• @tylerpestell
    @tylerpestell 5 років тому

I really like your designs, I think they would age really well. They are very solid and all the nicks and dings would just add to it after decades of use. They would have a lot of character but still solid as a rock.

• @youpattube1
    @youpattube1 4 роки тому

Yes. You are exactly right. When the table saw is running you must make no fast movements.
    If something is falling, let it fall. You keep your fingers that way.

• @albreit69
    @albreit69 4 роки тому

Beautiful and very useful cabinet

• @eherlitz
    @eherlitz 5 років тому

Beautiful build Marius!

• @KingMinhvuong
    @KingMinhvuong 5 років тому

Nice work. Nice cabinet!

• @JPToto
    @JPToto 5 років тому

Outstanding work as usual!

• @PatrickCosentino
    @PatrickCosentino 5 років тому +5

Great Video! I have no idea why you don't have more subscribers. Keep it up!

• @garagemonkeysan
    @garagemonkeysan 5 років тому

Great project and process. Such precision! Love your videos. Thanks for sharing! : )

• @Monfred2008
    @Monfred2008 5 років тому

Da hat deine Tormek ja ein edles und solides Schränkchen bekommen ! Prima gemacht !

• @emuller5591
    @emuller5591 5 років тому +1

You should definitely glue the knob from the chisel-holder which slides onto the rail ( 9:25 ) or reinforce the connection. The knob has sort of a torx-pattern on the other side which grips tighty on a torx-formed metal piece on the screw which tightens to hold the chisel. On our training-course we had the same machine and we couldn't tighten the knobs as they wouldn't grab onto the shaft of the screw cause the previous students used them quite "heavily" and tightened them very hard so the plastic knob and the torx-pattern were pretty much rekt.

• @Toxicity1987
    @Toxicity1987 5 років тому

For the workshop action cameras are a good idea.

• @jgalvezluna
    @jgalvezluna 5 років тому

Magnific! Very nice!

• @clydedecker765
    @clydedecker765 5 років тому

Check. You continue to improve the quality of your work. Nice job and good video. "At least make it adjustable"!!! Good idea.

• @aserta
    @aserta 5 років тому

Old school Rotring Tikky II pen. :) They don't make them like they used to. Btw, if you have an old shell, but the core is broken, you can swap in the new cores in the old shells, they fit really well (the cap needs a little adjustment).

• @romulusclay6697
    @romulusclay6697 5 років тому

Bravo!

• @capitainehaddock9388
    @capitainehaddock9388 5 років тому

It seem to me that you watched Jeremy’s videos or at least the ones where he said ‘’ If you can’t make it perfect, make it ajustable’’ .
    This video is top as always. 👍👍👍

• @Jer_Schmidt
      @Jer_Schmidt 5 років тому

Marius' "If you don't want to..." was a nice upgrade from my "If you can't..." ;-)

• @jramercreates6583
    @jramercreates6583 5 років тому

“If you don’t want to make it perfect, at least make it adjustable.” Words to live by lolz

• @brainfornothing
    @brainfornothing 5 років тому

Vey good ! Obviously, we can't see in this video the real light you have for the Tormek, but I think you must add a closer direct light about 30 cm just over the workplace, maybe you don't need it, but the difference when you use that is huge, or maybe is only me, because my vision is not the best. Thanks for sharing !

• @ulugbekhatamov2605
    @ulugbekhatamov2605 5 років тому

Отлично 🕵️🙏👍👍👍

• @norm1124
    @norm1124 5 років тому +2

Super schön, gratuliere
    Mich hätte noch der vorgelagerte Planungsprozess interessiert 😊

• @jeremyspecce
    @jeremyspecce 5 років тому

I want one of those shirts!

• @harrymiley3707
    @harrymiley3707 5 років тому +3

Super videos, super project! I'd love to pay for a set of Matthias-Wandel-style project plans, or heck, even just the sketchup files.

• @GuardTower
    @GuardTower 5 років тому +1

I laughd at the Jeremy Schmidt reference~ Good one :)

• @brandon2076
    @brandon2076 5 років тому

This video has a different energy than usual.....i liked it!
    Smart move allowing your camera to fall, it was not worth risking a tablesaw accident. Many people just by reflex would have tried to save the camera. We need you to have all your fingers for video editing!

• @alanmullock381
    @alanmullock381 5 років тому

Top work Marius! Didn't know your camera lens cover was "adjustable "!!!!!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

• @detudoinvensoesgabriel9516
    @detudoinvensoesgabriel9516 5 років тому

Muito legal

• @woodworkingskillwithsagar8802
    @woodworkingskillwithsagar8802 5 років тому

Smart tools

• @FishyBoi1337
    @FishyBoi1337 5 років тому +1

“If you can’t make it perfect, at least make it adjustable” ;)

• @MDFRESCUER
    @MDFRESCUER 5 років тому

Good video.

• @maxximumb
    @maxximumb 5 років тому

nice.

• @The1Rausch
    @The1Rausch 5 років тому +1

multiplex for the sides and the back ?
    Marius "OverTheTop" Hornberger
    awesome, i wish woodworking like this would still be a common (affordable) thing...

• @godmode3359
    @godmode3359 5 років тому

I feel like that joinery would have been much easier on the pantorouter. Awesome video! I love the work you do. Thank you for doing them. But more pantorouter hahahaha

• @MariusHornberger
      @MariusHornberger  5 років тому +1

I don't think so. Setup time with the hand held jig is second to none. But the video next week will have some Pantorouter action ;)

• @ahmedshakir6967
    @ahmedshakir6967 5 років тому

Jeremmmehhh schmithhhhiiieeee

• @gingerlovin4u
    @gingerlovin4u 5 років тому

Oh god, I squirmed in my seat worrying thinking you were going to lunge for the camera.
    Other than that it looks real nice, cant wait to see the complete look of it!

• @MariusHornberger
      @MariusHornberger  5 років тому

You should have seen my face when it happened ;)

• @M3Z4C
    @M3Z4C 5 років тому +18

Ah yes, I see you are a fan of Jeremy Schmidt as well :)

• @MariusHornberger
      @MariusHornberger  5 років тому +4

hehe, you noticed that, right ;)

• @brainfornothing
      @brainfornothing 5 років тому

"If you can't do it perfect...". If I remember correctly, Marius, Jeremy and other ( or maybe two others? ) guys did a video meeting, years ago. I think another guy was Toolify or something like that ( yes, I can search him, but I'm feeling too lazy right now, "siesta time" here after lunch, Hehehe ! ) Cheers !

• @xl000
    @xl000 4 роки тому

I like how there clearly scars at that exact spot at 9:45 from previous.. "tests"..

• @MRrwmac
    @MRrwmac 5 років тому

Marius, Another of you nice build videos! Glad you got a Tormek!
    May I ask your age? Is the wood you used grown and harvested in Germany or imported?

• @ScottWalshWoodworking
    @ScottWalshWoodworking 5 років тому

Awesome project! What was the rational for using the router and table saw to cut the mortise and tenons rather than your pantorouter? I'm on the fence about getting one.

• @MariusHornberger

I've never tried this exact way of making the joinery. And it was quicker to set it up

• @ScottWalshWoodworking
      @ScottWalshWoodworking 5 років тому

@@MariusHornberger Thanks, I'm also looking into a small bench top mortiser instead

• @TroodoN0
    @TroodoN0 5 років тому

That moment when you realize Marius will have better furniture than ordered from the shop

• @CurvedSlightly
    @CurvedSlightly 5 років тому

You love wood, dude.

• @acanadianwoodworker
    @acanadianwoodworker 5 років тому

The chisel sharpness showed for the shaving was only through the Tormek alone? (Or was there off camera honing)

• @MariusHornberger

No that was directly after what you could see on the Tormek

• @chdmorrison
    @chdmorrison 5 років тому

I think no check mark and bigger letters. Really like the saw blade. Not a fan of the white background thumbnails though. Keep making awesome videos been watching for a couple years now and get excited everytime I get a notification for them.

• @leo_98_tho27
    @leo_98_tho27 5 років тому

Was für einen Fräser hast du für die Freihand-Fräsung verwendet?
    Suche selbst noch welche und würde noch nicht richtig fündig

• @johndudash2579
    @johndudash2579 3 роки тому

Great job! Approximately how high is your table? Thanks

• @Bigbigjimbo
    @Bigbigjimbo 3 роки тому

Marius,
    Can you share where you bought the lazy Susan, and also the drawer or insert size for the foam tool holder.
    Fantastic build once again.

• @leon_mnl
    @leon_mnl 5 років тому +13

“if you don’t wan’t to make it perfect...” somebody has been watching another youtube greatness ...jeremy schmith hehehe
    great video marius,nice project and good craftsmanship and great editing (as usual) BUT...there is no cursing like “shit or crap in the outtakeswhen something goes wrong....

• @cyan933
      @cyan933 5 років тому

pretty sure that saying has been around since people started making machinery

• @leon_mnl
      @leon_mnl 5 років тому

C but every diyer here on youtube knows it from jeremy

• @vallejokid1968
    @vallejokid1968 5 років тому

Nice job. Now I miss Jeremy Schmidt.

• @KevBossche
    @KevBossche 5 років тому +2

Why square the mortises instead of rounding over the tenons?

• @Dufffaaa93
    @Dufffaaa93 3 роки тому

Hi Marius. Quick question: Why haven't you use pantorouter to make mortises and tenons?

• @bunnywarren
    @bunnywarren 5 років тому

10:17 I found that surprisingly amusing.

• @mhe0815
    @mhe0815 5 років тому

I do wonder, why do you square out the mortises if you have a pantorouter that could do rounded joints? What is the advantage to it?

• @sebastiankurz2155
    @sebastiankurz2155 5 років тому

Wieder tolles Video, ich runde immer die Zapfen ab und erspare mir so das Ausstechen der Ecken der Zapfenlöcher und bin bisher sehr zufrieden damit. Hast du Gründe dafür oder dagegen bzw. wieso rundest du nicht die Zapfen ab? PS.: Deine Videos sind einfach immer wieder einzigartig. Vielleicht verträgt dein wunderbarer Tisch noch 6 Stühle dann würde ich mich über ein Video freuen.;) Ich baue gerade den Stuhl aus Holzwerken und hab so meine Herausforderungen damit. Cool dass wieder viele Videos kommen von dir.

• @MariusHornberger

Ich weiß nicht was schneller gehen würde. Muss man beides Mal von Hand machen

• @MakarovFox
    @MakarovFox 5 років тому

beard and long hair looks nice

• @markusarendt2045
    @markusarendt2045 5 років тому

Hey Marius was hältst du von deinem Exenterschleifer ich konnte letztens bei einem Praktikum den Festool Rotex ausprobieren und wollte von meinem kleinen ryobi ein update und der Bosch ist grade runtergesetzt, weißt du wie der sich im handling verglichen mit dem Rotex schlägt ?

• @calexandruful
    @calexandruful 3 роки тому

hi marius, do you, by any chance, have the plans for this build? i have a t8 and would like a similar stand. Thank you

• @marsupilamihuba489
    @marsupilamihuba489 5 років тому

Great Marius-German precision and quality... why did not you use a pantorouter....greetings from Croatia

• @MariusHornberger

It was quicker the way I did it. Less setup time.

• @DMAnnotti
    @DMAnnotti 4 роки тому

Any plans for this. I was wanting to make something similar.

• @danielsteger5467
    @danielsteger5467 4 роки тому

9:47 outch

• @FearsomeWarrior
    @FearsomeWarrior 5 років тому +1

At 8:23 we get a look at your pushsticks. I know you used Mathias Wandel’s pattern for a long time and these look slightly modified in outline. I am more curious about how you thickened the handles. Simply glued scales on the sides, round-over router bit and some aggressive sanding? Would love a pattern or any information. I’ve been working out push blocks for jointing lately which is just a handle like a plane tote on a 2x4 block.

• @MariusHornberger

Yes, that's exactly how I made them. They're different sizes because I screwed up the printout for one pair.

• @FearsomeWarrior
      @FearsomeWarrior 5 років тому

Marius Hornberger You could do a video on them... well maybe other pushsticks and blocks and anything. Because we use them up making changes to them is an excuse to screw around in the workshop.

• @valiany
    @valiany 4 роки тому

Marius why don't you make an arm holder for your camera it's so much better than tripod.

• @jeremymanton6001
    @jeremymanton6001 3 роки тому

Marius, at our Woodcraft Guild we have two Tormek 2000s and are looking forward to a T-8. Our current table is far too high and I am keen to build 3 X workstations that fit the Tormek work station dimensions that will take the Tormek rubber mat. Is it at all possible you could share with us your cut list and drawings for your T-8 workstation build. Regards Jeremy

• @theRealRindberg
    @theRealRindberg 5 років тому

0:42 Do you say "solid beach hardwood"?

• @jpgarcia90
    @jpgarcia90 5 років тому

isn't it better to round the tenons than to square the mortises? seems like like less work and you also avoid sharp corners. (I am not a woodworker)

• @ArmedWithABanjo
    @ArmedWithABanjo 5 років тому +1

Hi Marius, do you have plans available for this project as I would like to build one. Thanks.

• @ArmedWithABanjo
      @ArmedWithABanjo 5 років тому +2

At the very least do you have the basic dimensions of the legs & frame pieces?

• @tim86
    @tim86 5 років тому

"My Dad and I" Does your Dad shares your Hobby with you? Would be awesome!

• @ozrenbalic6051
    @ozrenbalic6051 5 років тому +1

Isn't gluing plywood sides to the solid wood frame potentially problematic (wood movement)?

• @doubledarefan
      @doubledarefan 5 років тому

Unlikely. The frame pieces are only glued on one side, so they are free to expand/contract.
      A solid wood panel, however, should never be glued into a frame, save for 2 spots at the ends.

• @OldManTony
    @OldManTony 5 років тому

I don’t think I could even afford the timber for the cabinet, never mind the sharpening system 😂😂😂😂

• @reddcube
    @reddcube 5 років тому

What is the benefit of squaring mortise vs rounding tenon?

• @washoecreative595
      @washoecreative595 5 років тому

Whichever you are most comfortable with. It's done both ways.

• @operationmickeymouseharold6780
    @operationmickeymouseharold6780 5 років тому

Corian , granite , concrete with epoxy , stainless steel tops ! You pick wood wow what you thinking ??

• @xl000
    @xl000 4 роки тому

At last, someone using Torx screws... 8:10

• @smaug1234
    @smaug1234 5 років тому

watch your fingers with those :) very good investment

• @Sascha_1977
    @Sascha_1977 5 років тому

9:40 sieht aus wie bei DiResta 😜

• @nickjm37fordel1
    @nickjm37fordel1 5 років тому

My son-in-law got one of those, but he spent a fortune on it. If their stand is more than the tool, that seems more
    doable. He spent way over $500.00. I want to say well over a $1000.00 US. What model is yours ?

• @Nedeles
    @Nedeles 5 років тому

3:53 Why you cant just flip the tool?

• @MariusHornberger

I could, but then the switch, shop vac hose and handles are at awkward positions.

• @Nedeles
      @Nedeles 5 років тому

@@MariusHornberger ohh, i get it

• @sdfsdf2205
    @sdfsdf2205 5 років тому +2

LOL... That stand was sold specifically for newbies.

• @singe81
    @singe81 5 років тому

The brackets look a bit like Jon Peters brackets...

• @patkub2
    @patkub2 5 років тому +3

Please upgrade your t-shirt collection xD

• @FearsomeWarrior
      @FearsomeWarrior 5 років тому +1

I think these are his shop work shirts and not a reaction of his total wardrobe haha

• @ahmedshakir6967
      @ahmedshakir6967 5 років тому

He was wearing that same T-Shirt on his first ever video, 4 years ago
      (/0_0)/

• @CurvedSlightly
    @CurvedSlightly 5 років тому +1

7:33 "Now, I add 42 seconds of wasted footage to take the video over 10 minutes..."

• @XJWill1
    @XJWill1 5 років тому +1

That table top was plywood, right? Why did you need to use those button fasteners for a plywood top?

• @theRealRindberg
    @theRealRindberg 5 років тому

Always in your outtakes you "blip"... is that to censure you self or to indicate "here comes a new f up? :D

• @terryhilder3315
    @terryhilder3315 5 років тому +1

10:00 Go home camera, you're drunk!

• @GNU_Linux_for_good
    @GNU_Linux_for_good Рік тому

00:30 _which is why we give_ *TORMEK* _the finger_ ..