Fruke's JOY BUZZER™ Multimeter! | SHOCKINGLY BAD T6

Поділитися
Вставка
  • Опубліковано 22 жов 2024

КОМЕНТАРІ • 2 тис.

• @bennyfactr6122
    @bennyfactr6122 6 років тому +570

I remember when your apprentice was the only voltage sensor you needed. "Hey Skippy, touch that"

• @disarm2k10
      @disarm2k10 6 років тому +2

whoflung dung haha :p

• @pauldaloia
      @pauldaloia 6 років тому +12

Daniel Rouw I've caused a brown IN with just my fingers before... Nearly killed by a home gamer's piss poor job of a ground line.

• @BatchCam
      @BatchCam 6 років тому +19

My father did that to me once, I wired his plumbing to a 25 kva electric fence unit for that...

• @TrojanHorse1959
      @TrojanHorse1959 6 років тому +26

If the apprentice isn't handy a cat will work for that purpose too. I discovered that at a young age when one of those aggravating cats that like to rub all over you when you are doing something, just happened to get too close one day when I was trying to figure out if the lawn mower spark plug was getting any spark...did you know that a properly motivated cat can jump 10 feet straight up in the air?

• @Reman1975
      @Reman1975 6 років тому +25

My dad used to do the safety testing himself. I remember when I was a young lad, him once removing a spur on the lighting circuit in our old house (180 years old at the time). That place had cabling in it from pretty much every era, Some was even lead covered twin core !!!!!
      Anyway, He flicked the main breaker in the fuse box, disconnected the spur at the junction box, Then turned all the power back on so to minimise disruption for my mum. He then took a pair of wire cutters to the power cable to help pull it through a beam, and found that it wasn't a spur, It was some kind of strange (And totally out of spec) bridge between the lighting circuit and a ring main !!! That places wiring was feckin lethal !
      We ended up taking him to the hospital for a check up, Mainly because he was 10 foot up a ladder when he zapped himself, And rolling on the floor swearing a couple seconds later.
      I kept hold of the cutters with two perfect little crescents blown out of both blades. I had them for about a year before giving them back to him........ Mounted on a wooden plinth, With a little brass plate I had made saying "Never take f*ck all for granted !". He thought it was funny, But I don't think mum ever approved. LOL !

• @Ivo--
    @Ivo-- 6 років тому +180

This is the birth of a beautiful feud between Fluke and AvE. Brings a tear to my eye.

• @JohnDoe-zl6qw
    @JohnDoe-zl6qw 6 років тому +204

If you misbehave in your comments against AvE,
    Expect a rebuke of your corporate-speak puke,
    For your debt he will reveal you marketing shitheal,
    So swallow your pride as your financials he derides,
    Though you've been spurned a lesson you've learned:
    You don't mess with the man from Canukistan.
    Now run along, pup, and just accept you Fluked up.

• @Milkex
      @Milkex 6 років тому +7

gorgeous and well put.

• @bigclivedotcom
    @bigclivedotcom 6 років тому +567

NO! Everyone stop emailing me, I don't want to get involved! Oh, OK then..... The approach to sensing the presence of voltage with a field is always a bit touchy because it's very easy to bring your body up to the same potential just by touching the outer sheath of the same core if you're isolated from ground. It makes it a bit hit and miss with all non contact testers for that reason.
    If the Fluke posse have done their job right then that metal stud will have a chain of resistors in series that limit any current flow. You'll still measure near mains voltage because your other meter has an input impedance of about 10Megohm. If you were to test the current flow it should be a few hundred microamps max.
    Yes, the features are a bit gimmicky, but that's how they charge more for the luxury models. I'm afraid you might need to eat humble pie here and buy Fluke a cake.

• @taifuhime
      @taifuhime 6 років тому +4

Big man

• @Moonblade042194
      @Moonblade042194 6 років тому +7

bigclivedotcom yeah that's what I was figuring voltage is there but it will drop to nothing once current flow.s

• @arduinoversusevil2025
      @arduinoversusevil2025  6 років тому +274

Cake?! Gah! My Kryptonite. I think the grounding pad is goofy as hell. Input impedance is high IF THE METER IS UNDAMAGED. "Mmmm, 600V panel that I may ground through my body. Let me put my thumb on that; sure it's 600V but it's miniscule current." Rationally, I concede your point. Intuitively, fuck that noise. That voltage sense is so janky it's useless at best.

• @jeffsymons7084
      @jeffsymons7084 6 років тому +49

Exactly. Lightning has no problem arcing over a mile through the sky, why would anyone think it can't jump a fraction of an inch across a surge protector or switch.

• @wobblysauce
      @wobblysauce 6 років тому +1

+

• @andrewscott820
    @andrewscott820 6 років тому +316

This one can sense hertz too, just plug it into the wall and touch the back and you can see how bad it hertz

• @jandastroy
      @jandastroy 6 років тому +13

Manual hertz sensor, sounds handy. You just need to count the voltage spikes in your hand with the stopwatch going

• @MINIDISK111111
      @MINIDISK111111 6 років тому +3

butthurtz

• @nrowlett
      @nrowlett 6 років тому +3

Like the bumper sticker says, "Electricians do it till it Hz".

• @skonky
      @skonky 6 років тому +1

still underrated comment

• @anttimaki8188
      @anttimaki8188 5 років тому +2

You get a hour adrenaline boost, 60hz. You gotta touch it again to start your lil heart again, 50.

• @robertpaulson2043
    @robertpaulson2043 6 років тому +223

Blinks once for "maybe live" blinks 2-5 times for "probably live".

• @Foodhat
      @Foodhat 6 років тому +8

Robert Paulson HIS NAME IS ROBERT PAULSON!

• @JohnLeePettimoreIII
      @JohnLeePettimoreIII 6 років тому +7

Robert Paulson
      And blinks any number of other times (or not at all) for "Not a fucking clue".

• @ieight8234
      @ieight8234 6 років тому +13

When it's live, you blink once.

• @MindUnwindSleep
      @MindUnwindSleep 6 років тому

I have a friend called Robert Pawlson, he went with a group of mates to see fight club, you can guess the rest...

• @Darkassassin09
      @Darkassassin09 6 років тому +11

Lol, if you cant stop blinking at 60hz, you probably found the hot

• @smallmoneysalvia
    @smallmoneysalvia 6 років тому +103

Spitting fucking fire. Now THAT was a ringing endorsement if I ever heard one. Good to know the cutoff date for buying good fluke gear: 2016.
    How the mighty have fallen.

• @ufohunter3688
      @ufohunter3688 6 років тому +2

I say it again. "Given enough time, even the best will turn into shit".

• @LaterMeansBrick
      @LaterMeansBrick 6 років тому +2

Empires will fall but steam will rise! I noticed that most stuff i have to install as an angry pixie wrangler and toilet diver, I can only confirm that with time the prices stay the same but the quality gets worse by the month.

• @chrisedwards3866
    @chrisedwards3866 6 років тому +168

There's a major indicator of marketing wank that you missed: stock photos all over the website. Three generic multiracial people in a happy meeting? That's a stock photo. Generic construction manager looking intelligent? Stock photo. Row of workers at generic electronics stations? That'll be a stock photo too. If Fluke was doing their own photography, wouldn't they put some of their products or at least their logo in the background? Stock photos are so common that there's now a bandwagon effect, and some companies do their own photography in the stock photo style, because they don't realize what they're doing.
    Spend a few minutes at iStock, Getty Images, or ShutterStock (each has a different target client) and you'll be able to recognize stock photos instantly.
    Also, dividends are the worst things for customers and employees. A good CEO, when asked why his company refused to pay dividends, replied "why would I give money to those strangers?" Shareholders are in for the ride, they have no loyalty and will jump ship.

• @carlsjr7975
      @carlsjr7975 6 років тому +12

Millennial engineering

• @pyrioncelendil
      @pyrioncelendil 6 років тому +8

And even if you don't recognize a stock photo, there's always Google search-by-image.

• @Meekerextreme
      @Meekerextreme 6 років тому +8

Not the same company when John Fluke owned it, same can be said about Sam Walton and Wal-Marts etc etc. All good things seem to end.

• @sonictech1000
      @sonictech1000 6 років тому +10

Chris Edwards Agreed on the stock photos. I always cringe when a customer shows me their fancy new web "custom" site that they paid way too much for and the first thing I notice is that It's a stock template with stock photos
      I disagree with you on dividends. The shareholders are the owners of the company and the purpose of a for profit corporation is to earn profits and distribute them to the owners via dividends.

• @vRackham
      @vRackham 6 років тому +2

A CEO doesn't make dividend decisions. The shareholders do in the annual general meeting

• @EEVblog
    @EEVblog 6 років тому +609

There is no way (except through incredibly bad engineering) that grounding point could become energised with anything but very small capacitive charge coupling. i.e. not enough current available to do any damage. There will (should) be very large value multiple (high voltage) resistors in series with that grounding pad to limit any current.
    In fact this would be a stringent requirement in order to get UL CAT certification.
    But worthy of more investigation to ensure this is the case.
    So I'd be stunned if Fluke have goofed this from a safety perspective, but that doesn't mean it's not a dicky product from an operational viewpoint.

• @EEVblog
      @EEVblog 6 років тому +253

Fluke Aus HQ is just around the corner from my lab, and they offered me one back in Nov. Maybe I should take them up on that...

• @martyjehovah
      @martyjehovah 6 років тому +46

I think the shoddiness of the product and the companies dishonest response spooked him into being hypercritical which led to a miss with that particular haymaker, but the rest of em still landed so ultimately he's right about the tool, just wrong about one isolated detail.

• @interstellarsurfer
      @interstellarsurfer 6 років тому +22

I, and many others, would love to hear what you have to say about this. :-)

• @HerbaceousM8
      @HerbaceousM8 6 років тому +1

so if something goes wrong it it going to not ground at all or is it going to be a rude awakening?

• @jimb032
      @jimb032 6 років тому +17

Un7ucky it depends...if the resistor network goes open circuit...it will stop working. If it goes short circuit ( like if it gets some water!) You are in for the ride of your life. The people saying it's safe can have it...I wouldn't use it for current testing.

• @StreuB1
    @StreuB1 6 років тому +41

I will add this one comment. I am a design engineer for a leader in my industry and we are owned by a major "conglomeration" but one that is very centered on technology. We are relatively isolated from the bean counters leading us down the path to marketing wankery and producing complete bullshit. Though, the hunt for numbers lead to a reduction in quality due to supply chain leading the bull and it bit us in the ass. I was just given my next capital design project for 2018 last Thursday and the focus (refocus) was on safety, quality and complete customer satisfaction while focusing on a thread of modularity that will then benefit the company month by month. Thing is, we product capital equipment, not consumer products. What you illustrated is exactly what happens when you produce consumer products or commodities. The engineers run nothing.....they are at the complete mercy of the marketing dept who are at the complete mercy of the bean counters. I will never work in those industries for just that reason. I will never sacrifice my ethics or morals as an engineer to stock the coffers of the elite. EVERRRRRR

• @ACA332
    @ACA332 6 років тому +281

The absolute madman, calling out Fluke. You're about to get "dissappeared" by their corporate hired goons.

• @arduinoversusevil2025
      @arduinoversusevil2025  6 років тому +175

Avenge my death!!!

• @AflacMan13
      @AflacMan13 6 років тому +15

ACA332 Fruke is dead. These suckers are working with Bank of America... BofA is responsible for 1/3 of the world's debt. BofA bought their debt. They will never recover. Fartive will continue instructing their newest slave Fruke to keep cutting corners and putting out crap products... and they will kill it. Fruke is dead.

• @jasonwcoleman250
      @jasonwcoleman250 6 років тому +12

AvE, With beer in hand, Thy will be done!!!

• @ACA332
      @ACA332 6 років тому +9

Daniel Nunya Bidnezz Step 1: buy up all the debt of struggling American companies. Step 2: drive up the pressure to make sales. Step 3: "American companies simply cannot produce quality goods, american nationalism has failed!"

• @skunkjobb
      @skunkjobb 6 років тому +6

Watch out for the yellow Fluke helicopter.

• @jimkuhn7076
    @jimkuhn7076 6 років тому +208

Dave Jones on EEVBlog reviewed an Extech (I think) pocket meter that had a poor design. It kind of blew up in his hand, if I remember. The company took a look, saw he was right, thanked him, and changed the design. Dave looked at the new one, and verified their fix worked. If they can do it, why not Fluke?

• @anotherrandomtexan25
      @anotherrandomtexan25 6 років тому +14

jim kuhn because its a fluke! ... I'll go now

• @disarm2k10
      @disarm2k10 6 років тому +9

Fluke can't be wrong.. that's how it work.. ave is the one who is in fault :p

• @AflacMan13
      @AflacMan13 6 років тому +11

jim kuhn Because Fruke is now a company bought out by a corporation that is owned by a foreign entity, from a country that hates the US and anyone allied with the US. Fartive had so much debt, and still has so much debt, that they are purposefully taking out other companies and using their debt as a market battering ram to destroy the economy of the world in one massive market crash. They and several other large corporations have taken out loans from the top 50 banks and will soon flat refuse to pay them back. They think this will crash the stock market again. They figure that if they can crash it again, they can buy out millions of other companies for only pennies and then they will control more of the market. Every time the market crashes, including "The Great Depression" it has been done on purpose so that these barstards can own and control a larger portion of the market. They bought out fruke to make them a slave to their whims. They will continue to make fruke cut corners until there is nothing left of the brand except cheap crappy chinesium pukebag garbage.
      You honestly think you have a choice when you buy anything today? You do not... we are all brainwashed little shills for massive corporations trying to control us. And the biggest corporations in the world... the ones that own the most and the ones still use sweatshop slave labor... are operated primarily out of nations where the government is devout muslim. Let that sink in for a second. The muslim religion despises anyone that is not muslim, and those nations that are devout muslim own over half of the world's financial system... banks, businesses, and natural resources... over HALF. Anyone else see a pattern here?

• @redlock4004
      @redlock4004 6 років тому +5

jim kuhn Because Fluke don't care. When you don't care, you do nothing.

• @OOZ662
      @OOZ662 6 років тому +13

Because that company is still looking to maintain or grow its image. AvE spent the end of this one pointing out the likelihood that the owners of the Fluke brand are currently converting image to cash. Retooling and redesigning is an investment, while saying "nah, is gud comrade, Canadian bumblefuk no know, buy more" is the cash grab.

• @funkyzero
    @funkyzero 6 років тому +188

you are suffering from mini saw withdraw... the anger will subside once you get a new copy

• @funkyzero
      @funkyzero 6 років тому +1

yea it turned out pretty good. the guy is an artist man

• @TheHarleyross
    @TheHarleyross 6 років тому +101

We got two of these at my work...can confirm that the thing simply don't work. ....on the plus side found out I wasn't the only one at work who watches AvE. Shop banter got more interesting

• @LazerLord10
    @LazerLord10 6 років тому +36

I'm starting to wonder how it got the CAT rating with an exposed pad like that. Aren't there regulations for not exposing the possibly live electronics?

• @micronaught
    @micronaught 6 років тому +111

You are mistaken , the finger print voltage sensing option is a marvel in modern electronic/organic synergy.

• @jonathanhendry9759
    @jonathanhendry9759 6 років тому +141

I think this debt-loading crap has killed more US industry than Chinese competition.
    RIP Tektronix.

• @DougDingus
      @DougDingus 6 років тому +7

watch.opb.org/video/oregon-experience-the-spirit-of-tek/

• @SimoWill75
      @SimoWill75 6 років тому

Doug, awesome video. Thanks!

• @alexphotoman
      @alexphotoman 6 років тому

Thanks Doug! Awesome just awesome!

• @Xenocide78
      @Xenocide78 6 років тому +7

It's what just killed Toys R Us last month. Good old Romney's firm filled them up with debt paid out all the bonuses and laid them to rest. Killing businesses one at a time until there is nothing left but swollen coffers of the .1%.

• @scrout
      @scrout 6 років тому

Knew plenty of super nerds at Tek, really, really smart folks, back in the day. Pixie wizards.

• @johnpetrov6602
    @johnpetrov6602 6 років тому +35

AvE. Expert in financials, psychology, and percussive drilling.

• @ttiization
    @ttiization 6 років тому +19

Apart the fact of the yellow checker is worth it or not. It is really nice that the big brands are watching this 200 pound gorilla. Feels nice to be part of it. Congrats for the visibility you aquired AvE

• @reathyork
    @reathyork 5 років тому +6

"Have you ever picked up a Fluke that doesnt f*ckin work?"
    As an elechicken by trade, this resonates with me. Every Fluke Ive ever owned I consider to be a life-saver. Particularly upsetting that the brand I trust would potentially risk my life and call it user error. There seems to be an upward trend in craptastic tools. This is a very real reminder that double checking everything is worth the trouble. Even if the journeyman said its dead, check it again. And use your own damn meter.

• @michelfeinstein
    @michelfeinstein 6 років тому +54

Apple bought Fluke... "you are using it wrong" is the new company Motto

• @martinum4
      @martinum4 6 років тому

MFeinstein *holding
      After a while they'll admit their wrongdoing and offer some rubber casing

• @youtubasoarus
      @youtubasoarus 6 років тому +1

Lighting yourself up is a "feature" I guess. :/

• @wargamingrefugee9065
    @wargamingrefugee9065 6 років тому +442

Jeez! Talk about red herring videos, this one takes the cake. All this proves is that Fluke is a good Christian company that want to teach electricians the power of earnest prayer.

• @thedevilinthecircuit1414
      @thedevilinthecircuit1414 6 років тому +43

Getting zapped by AC voltage is called "shaking hands with Jesus" for a reason.

• @mr.a5147
      @mr.a5147 6 років тому +4

Made my morning.

• @Cosmos142857
      @Cosmos142857 6 років тому +5

OMG I spewed my coffee LOL

• @GallowayChicago
      @GallowayChicago 6 років тому +2

Just like the Church (You take your pick). "Pray! or see Jesus/Buda/Alha/God Quicker." No margin for errors.

• @Bluntobject
      @Bluntobject 6 років тому +1

Amen brother...

• @Conservator.
    @Conservator. 6 років тому +260

So, just to be clear, do or don’t you recommend the T6?

• @arduinoversusevil2025
      @arduinoversusevil2025  6 років тому +179

Whole heartedly recommend! I have a brand new, lightly used one. I'll sell it to you cheap.

• @Conservator.
      @Conservator. 6 років тому +32

AvE 😂 wow, that was quick. I’d almost suspect you’d wanna get rid of the thing.

• @smash_that_like
      @smash_that_like 6 років тому +11

Awesome, I love me a little electrical shock play if you know what I mean.

• @ufkls
      @ufkls 6 років тому +35

AvE, give the jeseless thing to electroboom.

• @briancorbino2043
      @briancorbino2043 6 років тому +20

Capitalism isn't a government, and corporatism isn't capitalism.

• @tatecheddar
    @tatecheddar 6 років тому +23

I have played every Mortal Kombat since it's beginning and this was, by far, the most brutal fatality that I have ever witnessed.

• @arlindkrasniqi3315
    @arlindkrasniqi3315 6 років тому +4

my dad is an electrical engineer who designs blueprints and technical designs for hydropower plants in europe. with that being sad, you remind me of him so much. you are extremely knowledgeable and i watch your vidgeos religiously. i wish i was financially able to support you on patreon (with my 3/4 better half going to college and trying to pay for that) but i promise i will try because you are just an infinite well of knowledge.

• @jkreed1960
    @jkreed1960 6 років тому +145

Wife worked/retired for Fruke, making parts on the shop floor. After listening to the stories of how the company was changing and what went on; temp employees, nonexistent quality control, crap internals; I vowed not to buy the brand (and they have/had a great employee discount).

• @broken1965
      @broken1965 6 років тому +7

James Reed same same for my corporate pos company 1 of top hydraulics manufacturer. it's all about the shareholder an customers fuc the flat dicks in shop

• @j-vtol8547
      @j-vtol8547 6 років тому +8

Yep. I used to work for a company also owned by the big 'D'. Many of the original employees started leaving after about 5 years into the acquisition. They were trying to push mass production of niche, high end electronic equipment. Local machining and electronic board vendors were shut out for cheaper outsourced parts.

• @Lennart_Jensen
    @Lennart_Jensen 6 років тому +58

You need to use your 3 arm to hold the f..ing cable!!!!!!!!
    Regards the angry electrician from Norwagia.

• @JoshRips
    @JoshRips 6 років тому +81

Now that ain't workin' that's the way you do it. Lemme tell ya, them guys ain't dumb

• @arduinoversusevil2025
      @arduinoversusevil2025  6 років тому +19

Maybe get a pustule on your little finger.

• @Mathuews1
      @Mathuews1 6 років тому +11

Maybe get a pustule on your thumb!

• @DubiousEngineering
      @DubiousEngineering 6 років тому +11

Microwave ovens...

• @totherarf
      @totherarf 6 років тому +11

or Colour TV's?

• @markv9185
      @markv9185 6 років тому +12

I WANT MY I WANT MY I WANT MY AVE!!!!!!! LOL!!!!

• @jeffmassey4860
    @jeffmassey4860 6 років тому +13

Glad to see a followup with amazon reviews.
    Working with 440VAC occasionally,I WANT ABSOLUTE ASSURANCE that what I'm working on is either Hot or Cold.
    Ya don't gets a second chance...

• @tackleberry5402
    @tackleberry5402 6 років тому +12

Paused at 1:06 and popped some popcorn. Especially since, as a network engineer, I rely on Fluke gear regularly. It’s expensive, and I trusted their gear at that price point. My work backpack has several hundred doll hairs worth of testing equipment. Maybe I should stick to Ali express. At least you get what you pay for.

• @jcnash02
      @jcnash02 5 років тому

Get a Pockethernet. I do the same thing, and I’ve largely switched to just the Pockethernet instead of a bunch of Fluke.

• @ZebSmithulon
    @ZebSmithulon 6 років тому +33

Seems to me that those "flaws" are by design. You can light up your fillings in the dark if you forget a flashlight.

• @ucitymetalhead
      @ucitymetalhead 6 років тому +1

Zeb Smith how do you think uncle fester lit up a light bulb in his mouth fluke of course.

• @AmateurRedneckWorkshop
    @AmateurRedneckWorkshop 6 років тому +70

I was always told I did not understand the device when I refused to depend on the "chicken stick". But I was never in for any great shock. I just do not like that current through the body feeling.

• @MaturePatriot
      @MaturePatriot 6 років тому +1

Amateur Redneck Workshop - You got that right!!

• @MrSleepProductionsInc
      @MrSleepProductionsInc 6 років тому +4

I hate those volt sticks! And even worst when guys try to use them to troubleshoot a non working outlet when it’s a loose neutral and they can’t figure out what’s wrong!!

• @LaterMeansBrick
    @LaterMeansBrick 6 років тому +15

Did Fluke just went the way of "You're holding it wrong" path one cell phone manufacturer did with their smartphones *cough*iphone 4*cough* that lost all service signal after grabbing it in the wrong place, and blamed their users... for what was bad antenna design.

• @JimmysTractor
    @JimmysTractor 6 років тому +296

Breaking News(AP): Canadian UA-camr single handedly has caused Danaher Corp(DHR) stock price to fall 37% in after hours trading. DHR, a tech company has seen nothing but exponential growth for the last 30 years, but that all changed after a crude but respected tool reviewer on UA-cam gave an honest review in what many of his viewers would have thought was one of his favorite brands. Fluke or "Fruke" as the well know, but unknown reviewer refers to the subsidiary of DHR had just introduced a new hand held $400 electrical meter. After releasing his review to the public, he got a good deal of feedback from his loyal followers which prompted him to make another video that showed "Joe the Electrician" just how worthless the $400 meter was along with first hand account of how DHR in just under 20 years has taken the Fluke name to a level between the popular Harbor Freight "brands" Ames and Cen-Tech. AvE could not be reached for comment because no one knows who he is.

• @carolynmmitchell2240
      @carolynmmitchell2240 6 років тому +3

Jimmy's Tractor sounds like you copy and pasted that from a stock news page

• @DougHanchard
      @DougHanchard 6 років тому +5

Jimmy's Tractor You are aware as of the 1st quarter in 2016, Danaher no longer owns Fluke, which is now part of the Fortive Corporation when Danaher spun out several subsidiaries including Tecktronix.

• @JimmysTractor
      @JimmysTractor 6 років тому +14

Doug Hanchard just havin some fun and being dramatic.

• @JimmysTractor
      @JimmysTractor 6 років тому +6

carolyn mmitchell Thanks- to think I failed freshman eng 1 2X and gave up on eng 2 after 3X. Oh well, math is all that matters anyway (to me) lol

• @JimmysTractor

Doug Hanchard lol just checked and they've dropped 7 pts since this came out.

• @norcal715
    @norcal715 6 років тому +17

Just info here I did some testing on my T6 and found the input impedance is 10 megohm. To verify this I measured the current draw at 120vac and indeed the total current was only .12ma. That's right just over one tenth of 1 milliamp. What's more the joy buzzer pad is capacitive coupled to the black lead when its inserted by a 220pf capacitor. Doing the math on capacitive reactance that's only approximately 12million ohms resistance so added the the internal 10 million ohms would result in a total current through your finger of .0545ma. Just good for thought. Also to use the field sense the live wire must be in the deepest part of the "U" aligned right dead center with the nib on the case. Keep up the great teardowns. Keep your D#@k in a vice!

• @aussiebloke609
    @aussiebloke609 6 років тому +13

So you have to have the wire right down the middle - where it then blocks your view of the screen. Maybe they didn't want to hurt the designer's self-esteem or some crap by telling him/her is was gabage. Gotta love 'em - 'cause you're not allowed to hit them with a shovel.

• @thedevilinthecircuit1414
    @thedevilinthecircuit1414 6 років тому +26

Holy shee-it. I have an OLD Fluke meter and it is the cat's ass. But the current stuff? It has always been top of the line for meters. Until now. Can you say "Gibson Guitars?" Sure you can.

• @proyectosledar
    @proyectosledar 6 років тому +106

Send it to Dave Jones (EEVBlog)

• @karlexceed
      @karlexceed 6 років тому +1

Please tell me that this man owns a locker... I think it may be sacrilege if he doesn't.

• @jablonicusdemarco6213
      @jablonicusdemarco6213 6 років тому +1

karlexceed Same thing went through my head too man.

• @Biekertman
      @Biekertman 6 років тому

Cornland Wasteland dewclaw will probably break it in no time like he did the Borsch mini chainsaw.

• @charleswatts1864
    @charleswatts1864 6 років тому +47

Sadly now days, most companies are ran by sales men, insurance companies, and lawyers.

• @JimmysTractor
    @JimmysTractor 6 років тому +242

Maybe it was just a fluke?

• @Kalanchoe1
      @Kalanchoe1 6 років тому +6

fluke like coincidence or fluke as in parasitic flatworms?

• @JimmysTractor

Kalanchoe1 in this case, maybe a little of both.

• @rbmk__1000
      @rbmk__1000 6 років тому

Kalanchoe1 no, whale tale

• @stoutlager6325
      @stoutlager6325 6 років тому +1

rimshot. audience groan.

• @synnyzter
      @synnyzter 6 років тому

I see what you did there

• @OldSkoolF
    @OldSkoolF 6 років тому +47

Hey.... I use my T5 just like that... With the probe jammed in the meter... kinda sucks cause Probe is 2 part so when I try to pull it out the tip pops off... It works out though, I use the tip to force the rest of the probe out of the groove. That "contact" pad reminds me of 70's era soda machines. ( they'd shock the snot out of you if you were wet)... LOL

• @WBush-uc9pe
      @WBush-uc9pe 6 років тому +11

"when I try to pull it out the tip pops off... It works out though, I use the tip to force the rest of the probe out of the groove"
      May I quote you at my next urologist appointment?
      I haven't laughed so hard in a year; Thank you, OldSkool!

• @OldSkoolF
      @OldSkoolF 6 років тому +3

Of Course!

• @zacharylagler242
      @zacharylagler242 6 років тому +6

Lol, I haven't laughed so hard in months...

• @daviddelacruz611
      @daviddelacruz611 6 років тому +2

Add tape to the inside of the probe it will not pop

• @MrTheHillfolk
      @MrTheHillfolk 6 років тому

David De la Cruz
      Yea but when you’re done , peeling tape off a condom, it’s painful.
      ya may as well be waxing man parts.

• @coasmechteranic
    @coasmechteranic 6 років тому +30

Mental note, never troll AvE.

• @Kevin_Reems
      @Kevin_Reems 6 років тому +3

No kidding! Fluke is going to feel that burn all the way to the bankruptcy!

• @johnpossum556
      @johnpossum556 6 років тому +1

ha! These days even negative attention is often positive. I wouldn't buy that abortion but I still use my Fluke 75 from my college days.

• @TheVexCortex
    @TheVexCortex 6 років тому +47

Aaaaaaannnnddd.... Fluke just lost all my respect.

• @wyokaiju992
      @wyokaiju992 6 років тому +2

Add UL to that list as well. They are owned by futuremark now. The same blokes that got caught fudging benchmarks...

• @QinX81
      @QinX81 6 років тому +1

It's the other way round, UL has bought Futuremark.

• @wyokaiju992
      @wyokaiju992 6 років тому +2

@QinX oh thank fuck, its not as bad as i thought.... Still leaves the past fuckup of UL listed Zinsco and stab-lok breakers, but that's not as bad.

• @sillygoose210_6
    @sillygoose210_6 6 років тому +56

Works better if you “leave it” underground right where you’re blasting.

• @MrTigerpirro
    @MrTigerpirro 6 років тому +28

-Why DID your company go under?
    -Well, we commented snarkily on the wrong Canucks UA-cam channel.
    -What the frak are you talking about?
    -Yeah, well... The same guy brought down Juicero... And those guys could both overbuild and oversell, so what chance did we really stand?
    AvE, if you keep going like this you are going to need that ammo. If nothing else than to euthanize the corporate kill team that got lost in the mountains and are dying of frostbite trying to find you.
    Have a good one.

• @skipfred
      @skipfred 4 роки тому

Juicero brought down Juicero. AvE had nothing to do with it

• @MrTigerpirro
      @MrTigerpirro 4 роки тому

@@skipfred
      I kinda thought it was obvious that was a joke.
      But you are technically right, the best kind of right.

• @jamesoliver6625
    @jamesoliver6625 6 років тому +11

You should review the $40 USD Harbor Freight version. HF is saying theirs beats Fluke in the ad. Might be true. Pickles and grins.

• @experimente9912
    @experimente9912 6 років тому +14

I do not believe that you will get shocked if you touch the earth connection of the current clamp while you are probing the mains. If the meter is set in the voltage range, the meter has a very high impedance of around 10 mega ohms. You will only get about 0,012mA of current sent through your body in this case. You won´t even feel it. The multimeter still picks it up because it also has a high input impedance. You can verify my theory by measuring the voltage with a low impedance meter or you could measure the voltage drop over a resistor. If you load it down the output will instantly drop because there is no power behind it.
    But if you set the meter in the current range, it will be dangerous because than the voltage goes over a low resistance shunt in the meter, which can easily conduct enough current to kill you. But i think that the clampmeter automatically disconnects the ground connection to touch if you set it in the current mode. Maybe you should try to confirm that.

• @thegodof8ball
      @thegodof8ball 6 років тому +7

Well you first ... I’ll watch

• @TakenTooSeriously
    @TakenTooSeriously 6 років тому +13

Fluke has fallen as the standard! Harbor Freight Cen-Tech for the win!

• @originalbluebuddha
    @originalbluebuddha 6 років тому +22

You still haven't removed the protective film from the display, which has disrupted the unit's natural harmonics with the ether and the stardust from which we are all made. Don't think of it as a multimeter, think of it as your personal magic wand which loves you and wants you to be happy.
    ~Fluke Director of Growth Hacking, Imagineering & Social Media Facilitation

• @Cheddah45
    @Cheddah45 6 років тому +6

I'm with you, my friend. I was a Fluke nazi for 20 years and own at least a dozen of them. But the last few years they have become garbage and as my older ones wear out I replace them with a different brand.

• @justanothercanuckian
    @justanothercanuckian 6 років тому +52

If it works, it's a Fluke!

• @NoisyPlaces
      @NoisyPlaces 6 років тому +3

I see what you did there 😂

• @SkewToob
    @SkewToob 6 років тому +110

Talk about picking a fight with the wrong dude. I'd imagine at least 50% of your viewers are Fluke customers.

• @okienative4785
      @okienative4785 6 років тому +17

wbbh other way around.

• @charlesgresham4114
      @charlesgresham4114 6 років тому +48

wbbh I'm pretty sure he is referring to Fluke fucking up by pissing off AvE because his reach is pretty vast and most of us are Fluke customers, and would be less likely to buy them considering how shitty this product is and how poorly they handled his review.

• @okienative4785
      @okienative4785 6 років тому +7

Charles Gresham I said that same thing in slightly more succinct less understandable prose 😂😂

• @charlesgresham4114
      @charlesgresham4114 6 років тому +10

okienative you just gotta add some fucks and shits to your posts brother 😂😂

• @WeighedWilson
      @WeighedWilson 6 років тому +23

*WERE* Fluke costumers

• @str33tb1k3r
    @str33tb1k3r 6 років тому +23

AvE, you didn't take off the film off of the screen... That's why it no worky worky! 🤣

• @buckstarchaser2376
    @buckstarchaser2376 6 років тому +6

In the previous video, you stated that the body ground pad was connected to the test probe when it was inserted into its storage spot. If it is only connected when stored, then it shouldn't present a shock hazard / become a Joy Buzzer™. Other than that, thanks for flagging me away from this bad product.
    I also did a quick analysis of FTV on my trading platform, and the financials do look a bit squirrely. Their earnings are rapidly increasing without a concurrent rise in revenues, meaning that they are probably saving way too much on their manufacturing as of late.

• @SnarkyPosters
    @SnarkyPosters 6 років тому +9

So what you're saying is that Steve Jobs's corpse has been hired by Fruke and is now tell you that "you're holding it wrong."

• @ofdiscordia
    @ofdiscordia 6 років тому +5

Their claim 'You're just using it wrong' reminds me of Steve Jobs saying 'You're just holding your phone wrong!' when it had shit reception. The difference being their crappy design could turn somebody into a crispy critter. They should take your input like men and fix the damn thing.

• @chickenlips8696
    @chickenlips8696 6 років тому +31

Nothing like a company using their customers as a grounding rod it kind of puts a damper on those secondary sales. Kind of like Toys R Us funding Planned Parenthood.

• @ucitymetalhead
      @ucitymetalhead 6 років тому +5

chickenlips kinda gives a whole new meaning to that "i don't want to grow up" line doesn't it?

• @chickenlips8696
      @chickenlips8696 6 років тому +2

ucity metalhead oh wow! Never thought about it but ya....

• @iagmusicandflying
      @iagmusicandflying 6 років тому +1

Okay, Im 100% pro-choice and that still made me laugh. Good one, sir chickenlips.

• @Guust_Flater
    @Guust_Flater 6 років тому +58

I am interested in a screenshot of that Fluke comment, any patreon got that!? 👍😁

• @thetinkerer5763
      @thetinkerer5763 6 років тому

Guust I too would like to see that!!!

• @thetinkerer5763
      @thetinkerer5763 6 років тому +8

Monte Stu he did, but maybe someone grabbed a screen shot right before it got taken off

• @UndividedGuild
      @UndividedGuild 6 років тому +1

could be chached in data history

• @exiplast7349
    @exiplast7349 6 років тому +1

As an elechicken I own and use meters and "no touch testers" regularly. I have been screwed by no touch testers and confused by meter readings at times causing me to take a second look before proceding. In my experience if i cant trust my meter at all times it is not worth having. "No touch testers" SHOULD NEVER BE TRUSTED only used as a warning that the circut may be a live or another wire in the area is. When in doubt check twice or more. USING YOU BODY TO COMPLETE THE TEST CIRCUT IS AN EXTREMLY BAD AND DANGEROUS IDEA. This is one meter you will never find in my tool kit. Im with AvE on this one

• @keithknotts227
    @keithknotts227 6 років тому +6

@Fluke Just because Uncle Bumblefuck is reviewing a Electronic measuring item, doesn't mean that you should underestimate Uncle Bumblefucks' intelligence. @AvE has insane smarts, and he/we aren't easily swayed by marketing wank when science that counters your marketing information. Busted!

• @twocvbloke
    @twocvbloke 6 років тому +16

They say "Only a poor workman blames his tools", but if they build a crappy tool, then how can you not blame the tool? :P

• @jaywest4102
    @jaywest4102 6 років тому +9

A progressive inclusive design team. Maybe one of their subsidiaries designed the pedestrian bridge in Florida.

• @merlinmagnus873
    @merlinmagnus873 6 років тому +10

I think that voltage sense pad against your hand would work great. Your buddies can tell how much voltage was on the circuit you touched by how much your corpse jerks and twitches. I'll buy ten (for all my worst enemies).

• @xiro6
      @xiro6 6 років тому +1

but they have to provide a twitches-voltage conversion table.

• @jondeauxman
    @jondeauxman 6 років тому +14

As a plaintiff's lawyer, this gives me a chubby. Will the next of kin of the first guy this kills contact me?

• @duncankruz7267
      @duncankruz7267 5 років тому +2

Ambulance chasing in the comments section
      Now ive seen EVERYTHING

• @Paper4150
    @Paper4150 6 років тому +1

As a recent EE graduate I completely agree. The terminology used in the industry to push products is often misleading, and isn't always completely relevant to the designed product. Marketing and sales managers rule the day when it comes to R&D.. This is often the reason why early model GM electronics where often sub-par because a lack of quality assurance in their PCB manufacturing processes. It really is a shame...

• @Fridgemusa
    @Fridgemusa 6 років тому +8

Good spottin that flaw, you undoubtedly have saved someone's life!!! P.S. In my neck of the woods we have 240 angry alternative pixies to deal with :(

• @josephvanas6352
    @josephvanas6352 6 років тому +4

ah an instant pot, got the off brand one that is comparable to it. Cooks fantastic chicken and potatoes. Essentially same as a slow cooker but the food is ready in 20-30 mins vs an hour. Cooks really good rice as well.

• @wingman2k
    @wingman2k 6 років тому +5

Oh Jerbus I HATE sales people and sales departments. "Yes, the product can do that" departments.

• @kaneo666
    @kaneo666 6 років тому

I was an electrician in Germany for 4 years, and they use the little flathead screwdrivers with the neon lamp connected to a resistor and a metal contact at the end to quickly check if a terminal block is hot or not (they don’t use wire nuts). You put the screwdriver tip on the terminal screw, put your thumb on the contact at the other end, and it uses your body to light up the neon lamp if it’s hot... Anyway, one day I was in a dorm room tracing a circuit behind their fridge, so I was kinda in an awkward position on a ladder halfway on the fridge... found out that holding the condenser (and in turn, grounding yourself) will shock you when you find a live circuit with that type of tester.
    I have a good feeling that Fluke will do exactly the same thing when using it in the configuration shown.
    I’m waiting for the safety recall...

• @Johnny-jr2lq
    @Johnny-jr2lq Рік тому +1

OMG 😳 I’m EXTREMELY HAPPY I watched this video from AvE. I was seriously considering picking one of these up. I’m not a professional by any means but I need a Multi meter for testing my vehicles and stuff around the house. I figured if I’m going to get one to get one with a good name. Thanks so dam much for doing this video AvE

• @rfcarlson1
    @rfcarlson1 6 років тому +9

I can't imagine using myself as a ground to test anything electrical at line voltage. No way I'd trust my ass to a Chinese capacitor. Thanks for the review.

• @alanmumford8806
    @alanmumford8806 6 років тому +7

I worked for many years as a test equipment repair and calibration engineer. The brands we really trusted for our day-to-day work were Fluke, Hewlett Packard and Tektronix. Of course there were others in specialist fields, such as Rohde and (und?) Schwarz, Marconi, Schlumberger etc. but those first three were the mainstay brands. It is so disappointing to see what you have just shown us.

• @MrKelaher
      @MrKelaher 6 років тому +1

I once get nearly fired for buying Schlumberger rather than HP, even though it was better in every way - easier to use and way cheaper for the application. HP reps used to have a ton of market power :)

• @finnna8352
    @finnna8352 6 років тому +11

Where I work (Electrian 36 years) we have to wear PPE this means rubber gloves with a leather outer glove
    cant be taking the gloves off to touch that disk. They (Fluke) didn't consider the PPE that the folk in the trenches have to wear. Nothing else impressed me about the meter either, I'll stick with the T5.

• @nictennick1650
      @nictennick1650 6 років тому +1

Where in the world do you have to wear rubber gloves?

• @1hunglow582
      @1hunglow582 5 років тому

Hospital and industrial where they dont wanna be sued

• @crbulldog5638
      @crbulldog5638 4 роки тому +1

@@nictennick1650 utilities. Messing around in switchgear can be a puckering event.

• @elena6516
      @elena6516 4 роки тому

@@nictennick1650 MCCs bruh

• @kennyball3956
    @kennyball3956 4 роки тому +2

1 man worth his salt is louder than a room full of mice....good work AvE

• @stevenbiars6212
    @stevenbiars6212 6 років тому +4

Debt to Equity: Fluke 107.02 Industry 4.93 Sector 16.46. Yep, they're cashing out.

• @zaneslocombe8008
    @zaneslocombe8008 6 років тому +26

How can we expect anything less when locked the rats in the grain store for punishment?

• @MrSnoots
    @MrSnoots 6 років тому +14

This is the curse of making quality products. Consumers buy your product for life. Then, management insists that you "innovate" to drive sales and your engineers just scratch their heads because they're excellent at ONE thing and they need to think up something different in a very straightforward industry.
    Hopefully they learn not to veer too far from their expertise. Or, spin up a new company to avoid tarnishing the Fluke brand.

• @Trumplican
    @Trumplican 6 років тому

been a powersports mechanic for many years i only use fluke. WELL NOT ANYMORE....thank you AvE for getting this info to us.

• @Megamerarer
    @Megamerarer 6 років тому +2

These are the videos I love most from AvE. Going in depth to the point of figuring out why Fluke is putting out these less than stellar multi-meters. Marketing wank and dollars be flowing yo.

• @slowburntm3584
    @slowburntm3584 6 років тому +5

AvE seems to have the gold standard for content that stands on its own, without revealing his face, ever, and didn't even flinch during the apocalypse and stood his ground by not conforming to sponsors/UA-cam over-reaching rules. UA-cam was born from ordinary boys and girls who had little to zero chance to get work doing anything on TV/Cable. On top of that, it gave a platform for being your own boss with minimal rules to worry about. AvE even puts out some of the hardest content because of how technical he is which opens him up to the trolls just waiting for him to make an honest mistake. Even Pewdiepie has drastically changed over the years, and sure, maybe he is trying out new things for everyone and their mother does Gaming Videos.
    While AvE has put out several videos telling us that enjoy him to DISABLE ads with adblocking software, how many big UA-camrs you hear saying that on the regular? Plus, the creators that drastically change formats are all but admitting that they count on the mindless pre-teens watching them for over the top public behavior, horrible treatment of their inner circle while making vids.
    AvE is one of the most honest channels out there I have found and really is a breath of fresh air from the "Tool Review" channels that actually have little to do with reviewing the product and more to do with being a commercial.
    Just wanted to say thanks AvE for being one of the brighter spots in the community along with your occasional recommendation to other, NO BS channels about people sharing their lifelong experience for practically FREE!
    P.S.> BTW, when he went on that camping/or hunting trip in the Canadian wilds you all but recorded using LSD and enjoying mothernature which is by far the best way to that substance. That made you "god-like" as far as I am concerned, keep it up!
    Much Love from Jason of Flint, MI (sister city to Hamilton, ONtario)

• @magnusdagbro8226
    @magnusdagbro8226 6 років тому +29

To play devil's advocate a bit, those 106 volts may be high impedance so that it drops down if you touched it. Try connecting a 10k resistor to ground and have a look-see if the voltage drops to safer levels.

• @arduinoversusevil2025
      @arduinoversusevil2025  6 років тому +31

Floating at 600V rated or even 1kV for the other model? No thanks.

• @RenaxTM91
      @RenaxTM91 6 років тому +29

I was thinking the same, but its still crap. Its big selling point is non contact voltage check, and it works kinda half the time if you do everything correct. A meter that works half the time might as well not work, because when it works you don't know if it works or not
      If you measured 0V with this would you touch the bare wire afterwards?

• @MattsAwesomeStuff
      @MattsAwesomeStuff 6 років тому +24

Renax the Man - Do the fuckin' math man. A meter that 50% of the time correctly identifies whether there's 600v on a wire or not, thereby makes you TWICE as safe. It's so easy to be a critic. This is a great product. It will result in exactly half the number of people who use it, dying the first time. What, did you want them all dead you sick fuck? If you're so concerned about it, just give it to children to test instead. There are far fewer of society's resources spent on children than the investment that's accumulated by the time they're adults. If you stick to those 6 and under, that's another 300% improvement over 18 year olds.

• @zaprodk
      @zaprodk 6 років тому +4

NOPE, i would never trust that POS

• @AtlasReburdened
      @AtlasReburdened 6 років тому +12

Magnus, no, just no. Human touch = galvanic isolation. No galvanic isolation = no human touch. Very simple set of equations if you have a few decades of experience with not dying.

• @mrtjbiga1784
    @mrtjbiga1784 6 років тому +7

I like the pissed off, AvE makes for good content and continuity.

• @jeffarp7409
    @jeffarp7409 Рік тому

I'm just an ordinary guy who learnded how to use a cheapo meter, I had to fry a couple to finger it out. After that I spent the $$$ on a pretty good meter and I have had it for probably 15 or 20 years now it is a innova brand meter, I don't know if innova is affiliated with fluke or not but I can tell you this if I fry it tomorrow I will not be buying a fluke brand.
    So thanks AVE for giving us the skinny and keep up the great videos, because I really appreciate and enjoy your channel.

• @barthchris1
    @barthchris1 6 років тому

Greenlee came out with something similar back in the late 90's, at least it was in their catalog. It had a separate non-contact voltage mode and yes, non-contact current mode. I don't recall it having any test leads for continuity, resistance, capacitance, etc. It didn't have a digital readout, it gave an estimate with a leds. More LEDs, more voltage or more current depending on the mode selected. I wanted to buy it but never found it at any supply house.
    I did have several 90's vintage Greenlee voltage/continuity testers, they were kinda quirky to use at first, could be used with only one probe to detect voltage on a hot wire. It had an unique buzzer that increased with voltage, distinct low tone for 120V, distinct high tone for 277V. Contunity worked great as well, very quick, no delay like some multimeters. Being a commercial/industrial service electrician it was a great tool for troubleshooting branch circuits, for about eight years it never left my pocket. Southwire has some similar in its 41170S volt con, might give it a try. Been using a wiggy and or a fluke 87 for the last decade, tired of replacing the wiggys leads.

• @ShainAndrews
    @ShainAndrews 6 років тому +5

It's getting ridiculous. There are so many manufactures reputations built on sound products with high quality being silently gutted.

• @michaelblacktree
    @michaelblacktree 6 років тому +4

I think the word you're looking for at 2:00 is "endorsement".
    Edit to add: just noticed the logo on the conspicuously placed cardboard box. I like your sense of humor, _Monsieur Bumblefornique._ 😆

• @MiniPeugot
    @MiniPeugot 6 років тому +5

I always bond myself to the circuit when I'm feeling frisky.

• @garypalonis5809
    @garypalonis5809 6 років тому +1

All I can say is, much respect for you doing this video. It’s difficult in this day and age not to become completely jaded and numbed to what’s happening to the human race. The all-mighty doll-hair rules all... and the “just good enough rule” applies to everything now.

• @WireWeHere
    @WireWeHere 4 роки тому

Had a 1990 $900 Hioki clamp on gift from the penny pinchers. It was special with bottom leads that had to be moved between checking ohms and voltage.
    "A wicked loud crack that sounded closer to a rifle than any other electrician. Scared the shit from the room. The largest scraps were two wires about 8 inches long." So said the filing room log book. I got jumpy watching the Fluke sticking in the wall upside down. Pavlovic trouble shooting.

• @gromett
    @gromett 6 років тому +21

Epic Rant... Informative as ever.

• @DanielTekmyster
    @DanielTekmyster 6 років тому +23

Don't mess with Ave, or he'll expose you for what your worth!

• @martinda7446
    @martinda7446 6 років тому +32

Someone just bombed Pearl Harbor and woke up a sleeping giant.

• @martinda7446
      @martinda7446 6 років тому +5

PS Translation. some minor Fluke employee strafed AVE.

• @JimmysTractor
      @JimmysTractor 6 років тому +1

Martin D A poor guys looking for work now :-(

• @ZiggyTheHamster
    @ZiggyTheHamster 6 років тому

There was a huge missed opportunity to demonstrate your Uni-T meter doing current sense without the "got to get it in the slot with 1mm precision" nonsense. If a cheap meter like the Uni-T can do it with reasonable accuracy without being fiddly, the Fluke has to do it, period.
    Now an anecdote. I used to work on a university network and we had two Fluke meters. One was ancient (late 90s at best) and one was brand new (2006 at the time). We used the meters to tone down cables, test connectivity, make the switch port blink, determine cable length, check attenuation due to length for marginal runs, and you could even ping servers with it and measure packet loss. HUGELY useful tool. The new one frequently broke from all the RJ-45 plugs being shoved into it, sometimes not terminated because someone wasn't paying attention. The old one had a replaceable RJ-45 jack, the new one had to be sent in for repair. But even when it was physically working, the new one didn't work as well as the old one. It would almost never successfully DHCP an address on the first try, the cable length checker often didn't work, and it wasn't able to work past 80 feet or so most of the time. Yeah, I know, 100 feet should be the absolute maximum run, but sometimes someone wants a computer 150 feet from a switch, and just one, and doesn't want to pay for a new network drop and is fine with poor performance. The old meter was capable of going down the overlength line and testing the line's end-to-end performance; the new meter would just display a question mark like the cable was unplugged. Bear in mind - this thing was sent back to Fluke every 6 months for repair and recertification due to being abused. If the quality degraded that much back then, I can't imagine how terrible these things must be to use today.

• @nlo114
    @nlo114 6 років тому

Reminds me of the old 'Neon screwdriver'. A 'festoon' neon toob with a carbon resistor inside a clear plastic screwdriver handle. Touch the brass end-cap with one finger, stuff the blade in the 240VAC socket, neon lights up. Forget to put other hand in pocket, touch earthed metal, and just see how far you jump. Everyone's grandpa has one in the kitchen drawer.

• @SuperAWaC
    @SuperAWaC 6 років тому +6

i get it, i get it. being a dad 2x now has really brought out the fatherly disappointment in your real first child, fluke.

• @captianmorgan7627
    @captianmorgan7627 6 років тому +48

"great at figuring out "the angle," " but apparently not great at proof reading. I like that they decided to include the comma in the quotation marks....

• @Biekertman
      @Biekertman 6 років тому +5

The proper angle of the dangle to properly insert their pecker in your pooper.

• @l0b01
      @l0b01 6 років тому +5

Can't tell whether you're being sarcastic, but several style guides (for example that of The Guardian) say to put full stops and commas inside the quotation marks. Dunno if this might be a UK vs US issue though.

• @bugglemagnum6213
      @bugglemagnum6213 6 років тому +1

Captian Morgan thats gramatically correct if you’re continuing a sentence after a quote (thats also where you should put a period when a sentence ends with quotation)

• @stephanmantler
      @stephanmantler 6 років тому +5

Chicago Manual of Style (CMOS 6.9): “Periods and commas precede closing quotation marks, whether double or single.”

• @macdonalds1972
      @macdonalds1972 6 років тому +5

Proofreading is one word and you spelt "Captain" wrong.

• @schootzner
    @schootzner 6 років тому +7

This is great! I was about to try getting a hold of them to see about calibrating my decade old multimeter. I might have to invest in another company.

• @ethanpoole3443
      @ethanpoole3443 6 років тому +3

Matt Schuetzner Generally a good meter will quite reliably hold its calibration for decades so long as it has not been abused. So unless you need the certificate you can simply find a friend with a meter of similar or greater accuracy to confirm that yours is still in agreement and within the original factory tolerances. A calibration check is ordinarily only a test that the unit remains within those original tolerances, no actual recalibration or alteration will be performed unless the meter is actually well outside tolerance.

• @schootzner
      @schootzner 6 років тому

Ethan Poole I don't need the certificate. I was checking some used batteries and it was telling me the D cells had 2.1 volts dc. I thought that was odd so I switched over to ac stuck into a wall socket which read 170v. Tried my coworkers meter in the same outlet and his read 120v. Hence my thoughts on calibration. Maybe I'll try to research how to do it myself.

• @bartholomule
      @bartholomule 6 років тому

Did you try replacing your battery?

• @ethanpoole3443
      @ethanpoole3443 6 років тому +1

Matt Schuetzner Yeah, if you are getting a reading of 2.1V off an ordinary alkaline cell then your meter is reading nearly 40% high, a reading that, not unexpectedly, carries over to your AC measurement as well (120VACrms x 1.4 = 168VACrms). You really should not read more than around ~1.6V even with a brand new alkaline. If by chance the meter has TrueRMS then there could be an integration fault (if it also uses that circuit in DC mode) as, curiously, 1.41 (41%) also happens to be the square root of two (the multiplier to convert RMS AC volts to peak AC volts), but that 40% error could also just be pure coincidence or the result of contamination on the PCB creating unwanted leakage paths throwing off readings -- it is just curious that 40% (1.4x) is your error since it is so close to the square root of 2 (1.41), or 41%.
      If what you have is a very old multimeter then there were typically several potentiometers inside to calibrate DC Volts, Ohms range, the AC multiplier (to compensate for RMS voltage assuming a sine wave unless the meter supports TrueRMS), etc. most every range in many multimeters will typically use the DC calibration as a primary reference -- internally AC, DC, Ohms, and Current all get converted into a DC voltage so you often want to begin by recalibrating the DC range (usually using a lower end range, if not the lowest) before you move on to the other measurement modes. Newer multimeters tend to store the calibrations in their internal memory and can be difficult to alter unless you can find a service manual that includes the proper sequence/codes needed to access the calibration menu, in which case you may have to pay someone to service it. Just be aware that recalibration can be a costly procedure, so if you don't need the certificate then by all means find a friend with a more accurate meter and collaborate to recalibrate your meter yourself (or buy a new meter if you get in over your head as that may still be cheaper than professional recalibration).
      Good luck!

• @jkbrown5496
    @jkbrown5496 6 років тому

So some young engineer at Fluke discovered those screwdrivers with the neon light in that you stuck in a socket then completed the circuit by touching the other end. You can tart it up, but same danger once you strip it down.
    John Ward had a video on them about 4 years ago. I have one, but the purveyor wisely replaced the metal cap with a plastic plug. Works well as a small screwdriver, never tried to see if it would put spark in my life.

• @stevebollinger3463
    @stevebollinger3463 6 років тому

If you want to check for danger you need to check the voltage with a meter with a lo-Z mode. The V mode impedance is enormous and so you can see high readings even on completely unconnected wires. It’s a lot easier to believe angry Canuck made a mistake on this front than Fluke.

• @RCCrawlerWorkbench
    @RCCrawlerWorkbench 6 років тому +8

I just love using sketchy meters. Makes the job so much easier.