Repairing Stuck Brake Calipers: Honda VT1100

Поділитися
Вставка
  • Опубліковано 8 лип 2024
  • Motorcycle brakes are the life line to your safety on the road. In this video we dive into how to proper clean out and lube up an entire brake caliper. Step by step.
    We run into a couple of very common issues with this bike.
    It sat for an extended time, brake fluid was bad, brake caliper was not releasing and we saw how some seals began to leak.
    My goal in this video is to provide you with 100% accurate service tips and tricks when it come to your bikes brakes. Hope this helps!
    ENJOY!
    Parts numbers used for this model: 1993 VT1100c
    (Check out your local friendly Honda shop or www.hondapartsnation.com)
    Brake Pads : 43105-MB4-017
    Caliper Piston seals : 06451-166-405
    Pin Boot: 45133-166-016
    Pin sleeve: 45111-MA3-006
    Banjo Bolt Crush Washer: 90545-300-000
    Tool used:
    Reverse Duckbill Pliers-
    amzn.to/2pg6i1s
    Water resistant grease-
    amzn.to/2xigjQ4
    Pick Set-
    amzn.to/2QCdtxu
    Brake contact cleaner-
    amzn.to/2xfLrQo
    ►► Grab my FREE troubleshooting cheat sheet to help out with common issues on your motorcycle → www.themotorcyclemd.com/
    LIKE SHARE AND SUBSCRIBE!
    Need help with your bike?
    Check out the INNER CIRCLE and join the community
    www.themotorcyclemd.com/mcmd-...
    Grab your free troubleshooting cheatsheet here:
    www.themotorcyclemd.com/
    Need Carburetor teardown and cleaning videos?
    www.themotorcyclemd.com/premi...
    Support Motorcycle MD and pick up the NEWEST Shirt design. Artwork and printing all locally done!
    motorcyclemd.com/shop/
    Try out some of my favorite GRIPCLEAN products at www.gripclean.com/
    @Grip Clean Heavy Duty Hand Cleaner
    USE CODE “ MOTOMD “ AT CHECKOUT FOR 10% OFF ENTIRE ORDER!
  • Авто та транспорт

КОМЕНТАРІ • 181

• @zrkn1
    @zrkn1 5 років тому +36

Free schooling for the financially challenged old man and I really appreciate and LOVE IT. Thank You

• @bentechautomation1176
    @bentechautomation1176 3 роки тому +7

"Motorcycle brakes are the life line to your safety on the road". Its your quote Mr.MD, to the conscious of your quote your explanation was splendid. I am from India, your way of approach towards cleaning and servicing was truly professional. Thankyou.

• @timfisher3272
    @timfisher3272 4 роки тому +4

Finally a guy with the quick get your bike off the road fix on your front brakes locked up tigh!! Great job!!

• @TheSleeperism
    @TheSleeperism 5 років тому +5

Thanks for the info man! I've been fighting my 83' kz1100 calipers for a good while... - I cleaned up my entire calipers three times and it was still sticking. Until I watched your video I didn't realize that the calipers were supposed to move freely on those pens, LOL - now everything's in good working condition! You made a lifetime subscriber out of me thanks again man!

• @andrewgross7563
    @andrewgross7563 2 роки тому

The old hydraulic systems on my bike have been giving me fits constantly, and every time I get to your videos it really gets the attention to detail that I need to actually fix the problems. I want to make a hobby of restoring these 10k mile gems.

• @JoshuuaLee
    @JoshuuaLee Рік тому +8

This is one of the best mc maintenance videos I have ever seen. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and professional demonstrations !

• @falklandsgeorge
    @falklandsgeorge 5 років тому +1

now that's what I call instruction, awesome technique man. Loved it. Africa twin classic, new Zealand bro...

• @digger8180
    @digger8180 5 років тому +4

Thank you for the break tare down advice, best on the net. Keep it real as you always have.
    Your a Gent.

• @NickYack
    @NickYack 2 роки тому +1

Great video, thanks for all the tips. Everything I need in one video!

• @bigtoe4411
    @bigtoe4411 4 роки тому +1

You are the man. Details that matter and tips from experience. Thanks definitely valuable info.

• @Ab74co
    @Ab74co 4 роки тому

Great video! I'm working on a 2005ttrlw and have never done this type of year down before. All you said worked like a charm! Good thing you mentioned the air trick after it's been removed or I would of never got it done! Keep up the great vids...

• @archygrey9093
    @archygrey9093 4 роки тому +6

Loosening everything before removing the calipers definitely an important tip, i ended up having to bolt the caliper back on just to do it

• @szymonchalupka
      @szymonchalupka 2 роки тому +1

I learned this exactly the same way :-D

• @Horrented
    @Horrented 5 років тому

you SIR have saved my alot time lol and effort on cleaning those dam pistons , bought a 99 Suzuki savage that was poorly maintained and found out the pistons where bone dry and stuck and this video helped out alot ! thanks man !

• @arunprassath5360
    @arunprassath5360 Місяць тому

Man with cool beard saved my life.. great!

• @orlandokaraoke3002
    @orlandokaraoke3002 3 роки тому

Thanks so much for this video. I've cleaned mine up a couple of times and gotten it to work better for the time being. One piston still sticks and doesn't move as well as the other. Been avoiding rebuilding it and spent hours trying to just buy a new one. Well 1985 came and went leaving us with no new replacements today. So after seeing the video I feel confident in buying a kit and rebuilding mine. Cheers.

• @SBKPete
    @SBKPete 5 років тому +3

Hi from the UK Cody, Thank you for uploading this and all the rest of your videos; they’re so helpful and have given me the confidence to take on tasks that I would have paid my local Honda dealer to do.
    Keep up the great work 👏🏻

• @thesingerscornerblog187
    @thesingerscornerblog187 3 роки тому

Excellent video! Great quality instruction! Thanks Cody!

• @scrutch48
    @scrutch48 4 роки тому +1

You're video was great and you sure know what you're doing. Thanks a million.

• @cameronholloway1530
    @cameronholloway1530 4 роки тому +4

That tip about compressing the brake caliper was exactly what i was looking for, its the little things that make your vids awesome.

• @RickyMorrison
    @RickyMorrison 4 місяці тому

another great video. keep them up! this was a great help for my 4 stuck pistons

• @JustPlainCommonSense
    @JustPlainCommonSense 4 роки тому

Great job Cody R. You really made it look simple.

• @KatInkura
    @KatInkura Рік тому

Just got an '03 R6, this'll help immensely! wonderfully informational, thank you

• @Sam_ChristSaves
    @Sam_ChristSaves 4 роки тому +1

cleaned brakes like you recommended and they're like new. You da man! Whooo whooo. .

• @walterwilliams6043
    @walterwilliams6043 5 років тому

Have an ole 1983 gl1100 Aspencade with the same issue I’ll soon be working on, great video, thanks!

• @MyRp123
    @MyRp123 4 роки тому

Great Video! Just what my old XR needed. Thank you.

• @michaelandmariedownes6070
    @michaelandmariedownes6070 7 місяців тому +1

Thank you, your info was most helpful with doing up the brakes on an old Yamaha TT350 - good job !!

• @kevinmccann3483
    @kevinmccann3483 2 роки тому

Thanks Cody . Found you in a search on for a caliper rebuild . Nervous about doing it but you make it look easy . Will be attempting soon

• @fredlewis4432
    @fredlewis4432 5 років тому

Your the Best An Absolute Excellent video on brake Calipers Keep up the good work Thanks for teaching me something new.

• @RaulMotoADV
    @RaulMotoADV 2 роки тому

Man, this is the best brake maintenance video on yt. Thanks and regards from Chile 🤟🏽

• @JshMusician
    @JshMusician 4 роки тому +1

You saved my life, man. Thanks

• @altomar718
    @altomar718 3 роки тому

Great video - Thanks for taking the time to make it

• @Gr33nSh4rk
    @Gr33nSh4rk 3 роки тому

Just like mine, same model. Going to change brake pads today.
    Good tips, Appreciate it

• @lequang2296
    @lequang2296 3 роки тому +1

All I can say You are Pro. great clip for sharing
    Excellent instructions
    Like it !

• @floydwilcox2640
    @floydwilcox2640 2 роки тому

Very thorough job, well done 👍

• @marcellvisball
    @marcellvisball 4 роки тому

Excellent! Just what I was looking for. THx

• @wombatmoto1938
    @wombatmoto1938 5 років тому +1

Saving my next oil jug to cut open. Glad yr back, intro looks great

• @MrMtz817
    @MrMtz817 2 роки тому

I’m confident I can do this to my motor scoot after watching this video! Thanks homie, from Dallas/ft. Worth texas

• @rabbbie99
    @rabbbie99 4 роки тому +1

Great video. I haven’t seen a bleed nipple with an o ring on any of my bikes or cars before! That would certainly help when using a vacuum bleeder kit to avoid pulling air past the threads.

• @corriedotdev
    @corriedotdev Рік тому

dude this video is sick, youre talking your engineer brain and im so here for it. Was charged like £120 for seized calipers the other day and was curious.

• @PMLRoseval
    @PMLRoseval 3 роки тому

Cody...most useful information. Love the video. Thnx.

• @dinakarsoul
    @dinakarsoul 2 роки тому

Great video with lots of tips👌

• @rickjenkins7204
    @rickjenkins7204 Рік тому

Great video dude…I know exactly what I need to do now!
    Thanks man!

• @russdarrow9470
    @russdarrow9470 2 роки тому

I'm glad I found your site , I have brake trouble on my 83 Yamaha xvz1200 no one wants to look at it , now i can do it ..

• @rubennalbandian2803
    @rubennalbandian2803 3 роки тому +2

Thank you for informal video, I learned a lot.
    I had a car that brake pads was getting worn on one side and I did not know why, Now I do

• @raptorgamer8878
    @raptorgamer8878 5 років тому +1

Love watching your videos

• @raptorgamer8878
      @raptorgamer8878 5 років тому

MY first bike i picked it up this year was 85 honda saber v65. I rebuilt the carbs that was fun lol only did it AFTER watching literally all of your youtube videos. Tips helped out a lot in the process of that. Many other neglected item's. On the bike i have too replace and or rebuild. All in all very soild bike. Only rust is in the battery box.

• @MadOldBiker
    @MadOldBiker 2 роки тому

excellent video mate - thanks

• @neilpinkett
    @neilpinkett 4 роки тому

cheers sir, i was looking re the bottom spring plate.. you answerd it perfect.

• @johnreeves6854
    @johnreeves6854 2 роки тому

Thanks again man love learning something new espec when comes to my bike I need to totally change my fluid dont have to its just been 6 years prob since done it I'll ve watching that video my bike has linked brake system but should be to much diff really thanks great video and info

• @bullchef8739
    @bullchef8739 5 років тому

Thanks helps me allot on what to do with my rear brake caliper

• @TheCaffeineRacer
    @TheCaffeineRacer 5 років тому

As always super useful your like the yoda of bikes dude :)

• @2wheelphotog119
    @2wheelphotog119 4 роки тому +1

Now I am ready to rebuild my grinding caliper!

• @ciarancleare6139
    @ciarancleare6139 Рік тому

That's a great tutorial - thank you.

• @tiktoktiktok9308
    @tiktoktiktok9308 2 роки тому

Good work !!!

•  11 місяців тому

Perfect, partner..!!
    Kind Regards from Brazil.

• @mikekurtz627
    @mikekurtz627 4 роки тому +1

Very very helpful thank you!!!

• @robertwoods2505
    @robertwoods2505 3 роки тому

Great vid, thank you for sharing bro!

• @bjrnarwiig6639
    @bjrnarwiig6639 3 роки тому

Awesome. Thank you very much for great informations. Very helpful.

• @GavsGutters
    @GavsGutters 4 роки тому

Very informative video thanks it helped alot...subbed

• @ljbonner
    @ljbonner 4 роки тому

Great tutorial. Thanks.

• @shovelhead4558
    @shovelhead4558 3 роки тому

Thanks you covered it well into the garage i go.

• @KrockTheIndigo
    @KrockTheIndigo 3 роки тому

Was told to grease "everything" by another channel, glad I caught this'

• @johnreeves6854
    @johnreeves6854 2 роки тому

So glad found this I just did my front on my bike and as I road it felt like its dragging tonight raised front and redid thinking I might of messed up but put back and its better but still not right im goin to rebuild I think if this does not work thanks for video

• @bbasham3160
    @bbasham3160 4 роки тому

Awesome Information...Thanks!!!

• @juanpablogarcesramirez130
    @juanpablogarcesramirez130 4 роки тому +1

Great vid brotha 👌🏾

• @jimflammer9370
    @jimflammer9370 4 роки тому

Great videos, thanks

• @veselinkashilski7890
    @veselinkashilski7890 3 роки тому

Great video! Thanks!

• @roberttomek6416
    @roberttomek6416 4 роки тому

well illustrated an informative
    tonss of lesson learned

• @theenduropest
    @theenduropest 2 роки тому

Great info 🤙

• @banzobeans
    @banzobeans 5 місяців тому +1

27:18 "not a lot to it" "super simple" 🤣😂🤣😆

• @Palmit_
    @Palmit_ Рік тому

nice full vid. I subscribed

• @jacob-no4tf
    @jacob-no4tf Рік тому

nice job. very very usefull.

• @chapterk-2586
    @chapterk-2586 5 років тому +1

great job

• @fallenj8945
    @fallenj8945 3 роки тому

I live in Portsmouth , great VID

• @koedypaslay2208
    @koedypaslay2208 5 років тому

Great job

• @digger8180
    @digger8180 5 років тому

Exellent vid👍

• @digger8180
    @digger8180 5 років тому

Again great instructed how to. I known most won't have but putting the calipair in an ultrasonic bath, would that be safer for the seal lands ?

• @langstoy
    @langstoy 5 років тому +1

Thank-You Sir!

• @jackrider798
    @jackrider798 4 роки тому

awesome! thanks man

• @monkeyzeetube
    @monkeyzeetube 4 роки тому

awesome ! Thanks bro..

• @8788luigi
    @8788luigi 5 років тому +2

the piston seal used here in a honda twin piston caliper is the same as the honda city car caliper.

• @MizMods
    @MizMods 5 років тому

I recently had to rebuild a 81 kz750 caliper and it looked like someone had took a flathead screwdriver and started hit it with a hammer to free up the piston -.- ruined the piston.
    Currently still in the process of restoring the bike :)
    It's got the full touring setup from vetter fairings.

• @Stone-sx2cz
    @Stone-sx2cz 2 роки тому

Very beautiful

• @MrJimmysko
    @MrJimmysko 2 роки тому

Hey,very useful video as I'm probably facing the same problem with twin piston floating calipers and I'm pretty sure it's the sliding pin that's stuck on the left caliper.Do you think that could cause pulsing on the lever as I'm applying the brakes?Because my rotors are pretty much new still,as I've replaced them just this December.Any advice would be much appreciated.Thanks!

• @blownbudgethondas1086
    @blownbudgethondas1086 5 років тому +3

Ive put a front brake lever on my dirtbike and it draged a tiny bit so i thought it would self clear on the pads by boy was i wrong, i didnt consider that brake fluid expands with heat so as the brake was draging it was actually applying more pressure cause even more heat and i went over the bars in about 4-5 mins of riding

• @patwrenching9674
    @patwrenching9674 Рік тому

great video. Where do you get the brake hose clamp?

• @juliansmith8839
    @juliansmith8839 4 роки тому +1

So good Thankyou very very muc

• @geoffhughes2804
    @geoffhughes2804 Рік тому

Thank you very much pal

• @mitchw3768
    @mitchw3768 4 роки тому

Can you provide a link for that mac hose clamp please. Your video is very helpful thank you so much

• @LukeRadick
    @LukeRadick 3 роки тому +1

Where is the clamp you used on the brake line from?
    It's not in the description

• @randall3785
    @randall3785 4 роки тому

You have new subscriber, good job. Would you use a Dremmel to clean out the caliper housing? I think I’ve seen synthetic bristle wheels? I have some brass wire wheels? Would that damage the surface? Thanks

• @BraeCruz
    @BraeCruz 4 роки тому

Hey, thanks for this vid. It was really helpful. I am having one issue though... so Idk whats wrong exactly, but those rubber seals WILL NOT go back in. I took them out, washed the calipers, and tried putting them back in and it just will not happen. Do I need to get new seals, or is there some sort of method you have to use or something? I gave it to other people too to try and nobody could do it. Please heellpppp

• @johncarlson8029
    @johncarlson8029 4 роки тому

Also to remove brake caliper pistons that are really bad I have used a grease gun on the the bleeder valve?? Works for me!

• @jaimelarouche242
    @jaimelarouche242 5 років тому

well done

• @dangrigorie9782
    @dangrigorie9782 4 роки тому

Hello, i have a honda shadow srx 50cc. it is normal that after a certain distance, the brake disc and the stirrup are hot, under normal conditions of use of the brake. the wheel has relative mobility when spinning and when a spin is heard there is a slight noise, a hum. ? thank you !

• @benthillerup
    @benthillerup 5 років тому

Instead of using hoseclamp, you can press the brakelever half way in and secure it with with a strip or tape.
    If problem with bleeding, you can bleed it from the caliper with a larger syringe filled with brakefluid. Just make sure no air come in the system at the end. Air will travel up..... Make sure to emty the brakemaster canister first with the syringe.

• @famillebussieres-mainville4831
    @famillebussieres-mainville4831 4 роки тому +3

I need to get a pair of those reverse pliers My pistons are completely stuck!

• @wheelie63
    @wheelie63 Рік тому

good lesson. thx, wb

• @steelhanded11
    @steelhanded11 5 років тому

Where can we find the brake line clamp that you used?

• @sarag1158
    @sarag1158 3 роки тому +1

I got stuck when my bike was hot and my brakes seized backing out of a parking spot. Hitting the caliper works!
    Great video. Now I'm working on rebuilding a salvaged second set of calipers.
    This covers everything. I'm going to definitely need a hair dryer to get the slide pins loose.

• @peteacevedo3822
    @peteacevedo3822 5 років тому +3

With cleaning the area of the rubber seal inside the piston I used a dremel with a rubber wheel and it cleaned the shut outta it!

• @TheMotorcycleMD
      @TheMotorcycleMD  5 років тому +1

Heck yea man! Great choice of tool!

• @Anonnymouse53
      @Anonnymouse53 5 років тому

I love my dremel. I've been restoring a gsxr and everything needs cleaning. I've chewed through so many copper wire bits but they've been a god send.

• @ralphwhittaker3766
      @ralphwhittaker3766 2 роки тому

My atv 250r honda has a stuck sleeve w the two rubber boots like your vid.. Its stuck stuck...any suggestions to free it up i cant just tap it its froze..