Repairing very worn cast iron tractor axle. Valtra T203

Поділитися
Вставка
  • Опубліковано 11 лис 2023
  • In this video I repair a worn out axle centre pivot.
    The first job is to identify what the axle is made of, this is done by breaking a piece off and inspecting the crystal structure, a grind test to see the colour of the sparks and also by filing a little bit off and checking the filings. The decision was of cast iron.
    The weld area was ground down ready to be welded. Super cast ultima rods were chosen as a filler material. The whole area was preheated and then the worn area was built back up again, the burner was left inside the casting as a post heat to cool the axle down slowly.
    The axle was then moved over onto the milling machine where the boring head was used to turn the pivot down to 110mm. The top surface was also faced off.
    A steel shelve was made in the lathe to be fitted over the pivot to bring the final size back up to the standard 120mm. The shelve was expended with heat and then shrunk on with 0.25mm interference fit. A small chamfer was put onto the new shelve to finish the job off.
    Hope you enjoyed the video.
    Thanks for watching.
  • Наука та технологія

КОМЕНТАРІ • 481

• @larryskeeper1197
    @larryskeeper1197 6 місяців тому +90

Must've been a big snake wrapped around that farmer's grease gun!!

• @phil6465
      @phil6465 6 місяців тому +5

Your assuming he had one!

• @johnwarwick4105
      @johnwarwick4105 6 місяців тому +1

Guessing its a livestock tractor 😂. Strange that the other side was ok, wouldn’t be the first person to not realise that there was a bearing on the rear pivot as well as the front.

• @megape95
      @megape95 6 місяців тому +3

The rear pivot is usually lubricated by leaking engine oil so it doesnt wear as much 🤣

• @adamdiaz8442
      @adamdiaz8442 3 місяці тому

😂 highlight of my day these comments

• @lawrencemanning
    @lawrencemanning 6 місяців тому +15

The funny look after “farmers are usually good at greasing their machinery” is priceless.

• @josephcooksley3219
      @josephcooksley3219 2 місяці тому

Really 😂😂😂 what do think Agricultural Engineers Do Play Tiddle winks or some thing 😂😂😂

• @pierremarcoux886
    @pierremarcoux886 6 місяців тому +10

No music no blabla no bulshit just proffssional interesting content, and learning that you can't see everyday.
    Good work, i'm watching you from Québec Canada 😉

• @beyondmiddleagedman7240
    @beyondmiddleagedman7240 6 місяців тому +12

Only thing I would have done that you didn't would have been a machinist jack on the table at the knuckle end to support and reduce stress on the angle plate. Since nearly every thing I do is out of my comfort zone, I appreciate watching others go there too. It's how we learn to do the cool stuff. Now, if only the operator can find his grease gun.

• @billdoodson4232
    @billdoodson4232 6 місяців тому +51

Always amazes me how people can let stuff get so bad before they think it might be time to fix it.
    Said it before, but this channel has now become the UK equivalent of CEE. Excellent work again, lets hope they actually grease it this time.

• @jazko
      @jazko 6 місяців тому +6

shoutout to CEE. Unfortunately his last cast repair job didn't turn out well. But happens to the best of repairmen.

• @billdoodson4232
      @billdoodson4232 6 місяців тому +2

@@jazko Yes that was a bit of a shocker, hearing it pinging the way it did.

• @fredscheerle7592
      @fredscheerle7592 6 місяців тому +1

Was that a dig at Farmers maintenance, obviously had FEL on tractor to get that bad as well. What was the other side wheel like?

• @billdoodson4232
      @billdoodson4232 6 місяців тому

@@fredscheerle7592 Apologies, but FEL went straight over my head.

• @fredscheerle7592
      @fredscheerle7592 6 місяців тому +1

@@billdoodson4232 front end loader

• @ringstinga
    @ringstinga 6 місяців тому +35

Love your honesty when you are doing something that you have not done before ! Also I like the way you think on your feet and come up with solutions to problems ! Keep it up young man you are doing great work and it is refreshing to see !

• @zippo1009
    @zippo1009 6 місяців тому +3

This channel is THE definition of ingenuity at it´s very, very best!

• @simontravis7452
    @simontravis7452 6 місяців тому +44

Fabulous repair, so many elements to work on, and adaptions of the milling machine, super job Oliver.

• @haydenwilliams1750
    @haydenwilliams1750 6 місяців тому +3

I don't remember a farmer greasing anything before those 18v grease guns came along!

• @onlyme7939
    @onlyme7939 6 місяців тому +3

Sunday morning magic

• @marksecret9973
    @marksecret9973 6 місяців тому +8

A very minor point compared to the excellence of the repair but I hope it is helpful. The laser indictor on infrared thermometers makes it look/feel like you are getting the temperature at that exact point at any range. In reality the infrared cone widens quickly - if you would like to truly know the exact temperature of a particular spot you need to test from only a few inches away. (Many IR thermometers do have a graph indicating this on the side, others it is hidden in the instructions.)
    More content much appreciated by an engineer/machinist who occasionally does a bit of welding and often learns things from watching you. Thank you.

• @oldmuppet191
    @oldmuppet191 6 місяців тому +3

Snowball - Superb engineering on a Yorkshire budget. To do that with cast iron - well done.

• @mattsan70
    @mattsan70 6 місяців тому +4

When the farmer comes to pick it up - show him what that grease nipple is for - he will be truly amazed!

• @JohnCook-qz8tq
    @JohnCook-qz8tq Місяць тому

So interesting to watch Oliver, he's in-between a blacksmith and a fantastic engineer, can't fault him. The tractor must be off of a dairy farm, they don't know what a grease gun is, my cousin his a prime example.

• @michaellynskey7124
    @michaellynskey7124 6 місяців тому +9

Snowball engineering is always trying to improve his ability to take on certain jobs which normally wouldn’t entertain, Such the cast welding and the machining with mill to finish up with a nearly perfect finish, Extremely well done for taking on and showing these great engineering videos 🇮🇪

• @simonsackett
    @simonsackett 6 місяців тому +1

A Snowball Engineering video on a Sunday - lovely!

• @JRattheranch
    @JRattheranch 6 місяців тому +53

Those cast rods worked really well! Much better than those I used to use, usually unsuccessfully, 50 years ago! Nice job of machining too! That pillar extension worked a treat too! 👌

• @aserta
      @aserta 6 місяців тому +10

Tech has advanced quite a bit from back then. A week ago i fixed my brother's stainless steel water tank in the middle of the field with a stick welder. And they worked perfectly with a cheap little inverter i bought just for this job. :))

• @johnkoury1116
      @johnkoury1116 5 місяців тому

@@aserta That milling machine is awesome. What is it. I have a burke number 4 but I really need a Bridgeport. That thing can seriously handle larger equipment with ease.

• @mathewmolk2089
      @mathewmolk2089 Місяць тому

NiROd is STILL junk today. - Great for camouflage but no good for actual work. ----- 1- Gas weld with real cast iron 2-Tig braze with Si Bronze. 3- Braze 4- if you can't fix it with one of those, Screw it.

• @Rich-on6fe
    @Rich-on6fe 6 місяців тому +31

The temperature reading you get with your IR thermometer will vary enormously depending on whether you're pointing it at a fresh shiny surface or a dull dirty one. A clean shiny surface acts as a mirror (a hot mirror) that causes the thermometer to 'see' some other part of your workshop, which is colder than the workpiece itself. Playing around with a thermal imaging camera is a good way of getting a feel for this.

• @aserta
      @aserta 6 місяців тому +4

Yep. That's why i stick to temp sticks when it comes to measuring temps. They're accurate within their spec and can't be fooled by any imperfection.

• @paddynfs6452
      @paddynfs6452 6 місяців тому +2

@@asertatemple stick do a electronic version now instead of crayons, essentially you touch the surface and gives readout (think it’s up to 600 degrees C)
      However like you the crayons are pretty fool proof and easier to keep in your top pocket 👍

• @petegraham1458
      @petegraham1458 6 місяців тому +1

Another nice fix .

• @SLeslie
      @SLeslie 6 місяців тому

And the viewing angle of the infra thermometer should also be taken into account.

• @frank-t6857
      @frank-t6857 6 місяців тому +2

I first thought of him using temp stick. That is what I used back in the 90's when welding on petroleum platforms. I know it sounds old school but it's fail proof.

• @edmondmccudden27
    @edmondmccudden27 6 місяців тому +7

Love the way you overcome tooling problems by quickly designing and creating new tools.. a very versatile approach 👏

• @SirWhiteRabbit-gr5so
    @SirWhiteRabbit-gr5so 6 місяців тому +9

An excellent repair. That must have really been clattering before.

• @garymucher4082
    @garymucher4082 6 місяців тому +4

Very nice rebuild of that huge metal cast iron tractor axle part. It should work for years to come now! Thumbs Up!

• @paulhammond7489
    @paulhammond7489 6 місяців тому +25

Nicely done. I've never done it myself, but many of those doing welding to cast iron use a thermal blanket wrap the workpiece in order to extend the cooling period as long as possible to reduce post welding fractures. Was good to see the mill column extension put to use... Enjoying your videos :)

• @snowballengineering
      @snowballengineering  6 місяців тому +4

Unfortunately I don’t have a thermal blanket.

• @michaelminers2612
      @michaelminers2612 6 місяців тому +6

When I did my city and guild's we put the cast jobs in the coals in the forge and let them cool together!🤣

• @derekcomer4858
    @derekcomer4858 6 місяців тому +9

I enjoyed watching this very much. It looked like one of those jobs that could easily have ended badly. Fabulous result. Hope the customer was suitably impressed 👍

• @gbentley8176
    @gbentley8176 6 місяців тому +5

A very good save indeed. Cast material can be notoriously difficult if a job is rushed. Care and prep work is the key and it is very satisfying when you get the result you wanted. Thanks for posting an excellent video.

• @passenger6735
    @passenger6735 6 місяців тому +1

Thats a nice fit Ollie. Cast can be a bitch to weld. I did piss myself laughing at your anxiety when the heated part was cooling on to the boss and you were rushing for the hammer. That is a repair to be well chuffed with. Keep them coming.
    36k views and 31k subscribers. Come on you watchers, subscribing is free. Give the guy some support.

• @Osgard
    @Osgard 6 місяців тому +5

That is pita to grease. You have to get front axle up in the air and swing it when greasing. Or that is what valtra says. And points are under tractor of course.

• @Andrew_Fernie
      @Andrew_Fernie 6 місяців тому +2

Yeah it should have a remote grease piont. If it's too hard to get to it's not going to get done most of the time.

• @iaam117
    @iaam117 6 місяців тому +1

My pop, an english man, was what you would call, a natural engineer. You remind me of him in so many ways.. You have a gift. I am very impressed by your can do attitude.

• @Hey_Its_That_Guy
    @Hey_Its_That_Guy 6 місяців тому

Well done, Olly. Top work!

• @b.malnit8983
    @b.malnit8983 6 місяців тому

Great job Oliver!

• @paulcowler4136
    @paulcowler4136 6 місяців тому +7

A joy to watch as always Oli, your thought process is second to none. Nice to see the Walhaupter head at work. Keep the content coming. Paul

• @TonyFromSydney
    @TonyFromSydney 6 місяців тому +1

Another good job as usual. Always good to watch.

• @honeycuttracing
    @honeycuttracing 6 місяців тому

Excellent repair job!

• @christopherforster6555
    @christopherforster6555 6 місяців тому

What a fabulous job you did there thanks.

• @rogercligg4531
    @rogercligg4531 2 місяці тому +1

A glory to watch.well done

• @bostedtap8399
    @bostedtap8399 6 місяців тому

Great repair Oliver, nice winter job.
    Thanks for sharing.

• @carlf8291
    @carlf8291 6 місяців тому +2

Nice job here in the u.s. that would have been scrapped know one would've even tried to fix it excellent work.

• @mikeburton7077
    @mikeburton7077 6 місяців тому

Good job done ! Really enjoy your nice easy jobs !

• @RambozoClown
    @RambozoClown 6 місяців тому +4

Nice job. Always have a hammer handy when doing a shrink fit.

• @markroth9827
    @markroth9827 6 місяців тому

Interesting to watch your work. Thank you for sharing.

• @PAINFOOL13
    @PAINFOOL13 5 місяців тому

Nicely Done Oliver 👍🏻

• @Sh-thouseRat
    @Sh-thouseRat 6 місяців тому

Great job ! Thanks for the videos Snowball.

• @tomtd
    @tomtd 6 місяців тому +6

Enjoying watching the channel grow, and the videos too. Nothing too slick and some nice workarounds.

• @alangraham8926
    @alangraham8926 6 місяців тому +1

I really like your "warts an all" approach makes your vids "human" and very watchable!!!! Damn good job overall.

• @antoninobellittogrillo9196
    @antoninobellittogrillo9196 6 місяців тому

Nicely done Pal

• @andymoseley2230
    @andymoseley2230 5 місяців тому

You have done a cracking job there, well done bud

• @MadMods4u
    @MadMods4u 6 місяців тому

More great content there... Thank you for sharing your work.

• @jamesmcauslan1347
    @jamesmcauslan1347 6 місяців тому

Nicely done as usual 👍

• @hornetboy3694
    @hornetboy3694 5 місяців тому

Awesome video, great work. Thank you Oliver

• @baldyoldfart5828
    @baldyoldfart5828 6 місяців тому +1

you've done a brilliant job there and saved the farmer a fortune I dare say

• @csnelling4
    @csnelling4 6 місяців тому

Well done Oliver a good job👍👏👏👏👏☺️

• @constitutionalUSA
    @constitutionalUSA 6 місяців тому

I knew you'd get it done well.
    Besides your being very smart, you must have had a good teacher

• @frfrpr
    @frfrpr 6 місяців тому +1

I love the problem-solving. Great filming, slow motion was enjoyable. Thanks

• @jaymann
    @jaymann 6 місяців тому

Great job, as always, mate.

• @mongoose388
    @mongoose388 6 місяців тому +2

I'm impressed. Kurtis at Cutting Edge tried to do cast iron welding (albeit it was a differential case and thinner) and the cracks kept forming when it cooled down.

• @bostedtap8399
      @bostedtap8399 6 місяців тому +3

Fairly sure that casting was poorly cast, alot of internal stress.

• @mongoose388
      @mongoose388 6 місяців тому +1

​@@bostedtap8399I agree. Regardless cast iron is always tough weld.

• @mickg6480
    @mickg6480 5 місяців тому

Excellent thought process + great plan and execution = fantastic result!

• @astravanmk2
    @astravanmk2 6 місяців тому

Another excellent repair there.

• @CurtisGurley
    @CurtisGurley 6 місяців тому +2

Another real world repair that worked out great. Very few things are harder than cast steel that gets welded.

• @barrydesmond9288
    @barrydesmond9288 Місяць тому

Well done keep up the good work young man

• @raygreene73
    @raygreene73 6 місяців тому

Love how precise u work

• @gerryduffy6700
    @gerryduffy6700 6 місяців тому

Great job as always👍🇬🇧

• @iancraig1951
    @iancraig1951 6 місяців тому

That was a real good fix---customer will be happy

• @donalmcgovern7647
    @donalmcgovern7647 5 місяців тому

Fair play Ollie, savage repair job there. One of your toughest yet and ya never let it phase ya. Top job

• @russellwall1964
    @russellwall1964 6 місяців тому +9

Well done, mate! I never cease to be amazed at how your repairs turn out. You got skills and patience and that will take you a long ways!

• @kbye5323
    @kbye5323 6 місяців тому +1

Dang you did a great job! Especially for it being cast iron! Keep the videos coming!

• @dannycrooks8462
    @dannycrooks8462 6 місяців тому

Fantastic repair

• @IanHurford
    @IanHurford 6 місяців тому

Top job as always 👍

• @andreagennari2831
    @andreagennari2831 6 місяців тому

Ottima riparazione sempre bravo👍

• @MattysWorkshop
    @MattysWorkshop 6 місяців тому +3

Gday, certainly greased regularly, possibly every 2nd Christmas, great job, cheers

• @gordonagent7037
    @gordonagent7037 6 місяців тому

Great repair, well done

• @lleavell92630
    @lleavell92630 6 місяців тому

Thank you for videoing your work, very interesting.

• @jdmccorful
    @jdmccorful 6 місяців тому

Great explorations; appears excellent results! " Nothing venture, nothing gained" ! Thanks for the look. Enjoyed and learned some things.

• @davetaylor4741
    @davetaylor4741 6 місяців тому +1

Great job. Not an easy medium to work with cast iron. Reinforcing with the steel sleeve should give that axle a new lease of life. The only way people can keep running these machines is with the help of skilled engineers to repair and fabricate parts. The old Boys are all retiring or dying. Good to see someone younger taking up the mantle.

• @frankroden8233
    @frankroden8233 6 місяців тому

This job sure come's with its own set of challenges ..Nice work my friend !!!!

• @71Giggles
    @71Giggles 6 місяців тому

But what did you have for tea? Well done for sorting out the top face, I was shouting at the screen!!!

• @carloskawasaki656
    @carloskawasaki656 4 місяці тому

Thank you for sharing, another great project 👍👍👍👍

• @bluethru808
    @bluethru808 6 місяців тому

By far my best UA-cam subscription!! Really enjoy the variation in work and your pride in your work 👍 thanks

• @wallbawden5511
    @wallbawden5511 6 місяців тому +9

cast repair i stayed away from this as much as one could but back then we never had the choose of rods and wire like now but you mastered it put a lot of weld in there and the end result speaks volumes of your talent for sure now you just have to get the farmers educated as to a substance called grease and oils or maybe not as it sure is a steady source of work income for you love your bit of wit at beginning of video Cheers Mate

• @Professional-struggler
    @Professional-struggler 6 місяців тому

Like to see someone learning as there going and actually showing people, bloody good show that man 🧐👍

• @brettwatty101
    @brettwatty101 6 місяців тому

Definitely a machinist fit. Great job and great video. Thanks

• @kentuckytrapper780
    @kentuckytrapper780 6 місяців тому

Excellent job man, great video, keep'um coming..

• @jeremyhowes8059
    @jeremyhowes8059 6 місяців тому +6

Ingenuity at work. A job well thought out and completed. Very well done. 👍

• @kenwood8665
    @kenwood8665 5 місяців тому

Quality workmanship Excellent job.

• @Mr-Keating
    @Mr-Keating 6 місяців тому

Nice work mate 👍

• @jamesriordan3494
    @jamesriordan3494 6 місяців тому

Well done as always lad !

• @donfink7063
    @donfink7063 6 місяців тому

Nice job! Real silk purse from a sow's ear number; you have my respect.

• @waikanaebeach
    @waikanaebeach 6 місяців тому

Great repair, good work.

• @jasonneedham6734
    @jasonneedham6734 6 місяців тому +3

@ 5:27 Those sparks, definitely cast iron. 😊

• @paulhunt1836
    @paulhunt1836 4 місяці тому

You are so good at what you can turn around top man

• @be007
    @be007 6 місяців тому

good job !
    cheers ben.

• @michaelminers2612
    @michaelminers2612 6 місяців тому

Really fascinating 👏, brought that axle back from the dead 👍

• @daneboyd952
    @daneboyd952 5 місяців тому

Good job brother! Came out clean in the end and that's what matters

• @mightyfinejonboy
    @mightyfinejonboy 6 місяців тому

fantastic work! great video.

• @brandontscheschlog
    @brandontscheschlog 5 місяців тому

Nice work!

• @mattt7970
    @mattt7970 6 місяців тому +1

Another great video. Good to see people going outside their comfort zone and persevering until success

• @kennyjohnson5804
    @kennyjohnson5804 6 місяців тому

Hello Oliver from the USA. Just watched your video. Yep, cast iron can be rather tricky to repair. Good job!

• @mfc4591
    @mfc4591 6 місяців тому +1

As long as the operator greases the fitting, it will last a very long time. Well done. Nice repair

• @daveblack5109
    @daveblack5109 6 місяців тому

Great job and another bit of kit saved. Thanks for posting.

• @abuubaydullah1
    @abuubaydullah1 6 місяців тому

I enjoy watching your videos as it takes me back to when i was an apprentice back then we did not have CNC machines please keep the video coming .

• @steve_weinrich
    @steve_weinrich 6 місяців тому

Very nicely done!

• @jimprescott8423
    @jimprescott8423 6 місяців тому +3

Recycling at its best, well done mate, excellent job,