A look at the ThinkPad T480

Поділитися
Вставка
  • Опубліковано 20 чер 2020
  • Hello everyone! Here is my long-awaited video about the ThinkPad T480, a laptop that to many represents the end of an era for ThinkPads. In this video I'll be giving some of my thoughts about it, discussing some of the biggest pros and cons of the machine, and seeing how it stacks up against one of my favorite classic ThinkPads. Hope you guys enjoy, and thanks for watching!
  • Наука та технологія

КОМЕНТАРІ • 1,6 тис.

• @mmv1503
    @mmv1503 3 роки тому +1299

I love how "last thinkpad" ranges from T43 to t480

• @mashy712
      @mashy712 3 роки тому +122

The “Last” thinkpad is the last model under “IBM”

• @Raphaelwelingston
      @Raphaelwelingston 3 роки тому +27

@@mashy712 So T60 then xD ? Even if it has been made by lenovo x) ?

• @robertvuitton
      @robertvuitton 3 роки тому +78

@@Raphaelwelingston But I think Lenovo were the ones making the laptops for IBM even before IBM decided to sell their computers/laptops to them, kind of like how FOXCONN makes the PlayStation for Sony.

• @Raphaelwelingston
      @Raphaelwelingston 3 роки тому +7

@@robertvuitton Good question ! I don't know the answer frankly ! So if you have any clue, it might be interresting !

• @herrfaust2020
      @herrfaust2020 3 роки тому +18

@@robertvuitton The last model made by IBM was the 600X. They used to have a plant in Mexico and Ireland(?). All T/A/X/i series were outsourced. I believe the i Series, and maybe the 390, were the first models outsourced. I think the 570 was still IBM-made, but not positive about that. I don't know who actually made the T/A/X/i models, though.

• @NiGhtPiSH
    @NiGhtPiSH 3 роки тому +967

The problem is that most electronics these days are made less and less serviceable and upgradable and in case of failure they just end up in landfills, since repairing them is nearly impossible. It's a great way to create e-waste, but this mentality has spread in most manufactured goods - from small appliances to cars.
    But the T480 will be on my radar if my X230 ever gives up.

• @hugomd2718
      @hugomd2718 3 роки тому +77

ur x230 will never give up...these laptops are immortal my friend...they dont build these anymore unfortunetly

• @danielhandika8767
      @danielhandika8767 3 роки тому +19

That's how they make money

• @drkastenbrot
      @drkastenbrot 3 роки тому +1

my P1 is a new laptop with beautiful serviceability for its size

• @cla1814
      @cla1814 3 роки тому +24

X1 Extreme, P1 Gen 2, P53/P73 all have none soldered Ram.
      P15/P17 are coming with removable Video card. I guess serviceability is now comes at premium price...

• @User9681e
      @User9681e 3 роки тому +20

Yeah there should be some worldwide regulation to prevent such damage to our environment or wallet

• @jocazjoejo
    @jocazjoejo 10 місяців тому +174

Certified Lenovo Tech here, the one that rarely made it to my bench for repairs was the t420. It was a solid performer with sometimes a thermal paste issue, but not much more than that.

• @thiruvetti
      @thiruvetti 7 місяців тому +1

Hey good to hear that.. I am looking for uses Thinkpads.. pls suggest a good model that is still competent, not too expensive (may be around 300$), but still can be configured and specs bumped up in future?? I liked the T430 but I was told I need to think a bit newer model since it will be upgradable.

• @agy234
      @agy234 5 місяців тому +2

I loved my t420 and x220
      Sandy bridge still ran pretty hot but it was still better than the t410s

• @thiruvetti
      @thiruvetti 5 місяців тому +1

@@sudo3870 Ya true that. upgrading old laptops are always a risk. but in general TPs tend to run for many years without any issues unlike any of the new gen laptops which are fragile and slow down in just 2 years

• @Simsonlover222
      @Simsonlover222 5 місяців тому +1

that was my second thinkpad :D it was A HUGE UPGRADE to the first T410 that i had... it felt so snappy with an ssd... it felt like a normal pc while webbrowsing and stuff...
      now rocking a t460p... the most nice thing is the upgrade in GPU performance, wich makes it more usuabla for my needs (light video editing, even some more demanding software and effects works no problem
      t420 was so lovely though... loft how sturdy it felt... still more than usable in 2023 for basic stuff

• @Simsonlover222
      @Simsonlover222 5 місяців тому

@@thiruvetti if you love what you do it doesnt matter... and if something breaks, get a second laptop for spare parts? i dont know... so many parts out there

• @sophiaonyoutube
    @sophiaonyoutube Рік тому +188

I just bought a T480 in 2022 with the i5-8350u, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD. Honestly, I couldn't complain about anything. Laptop has been good, hasn't experienced any lags with it. And upgrading some parts of it feels satisfying. Anyone who ever uses a Thinkpad should learn how to service and upgrade it themselves, because it's super easy (and satisfying).
    It's like a mini desktop because of how upgradeable it is.
    Things on the T480 that you can upgrade on your own:
    - Screen (to WQHD, full HD 400 nits etc)
    - The stock trackpad to a glass trackpad
    - Keyboard to a backlit one if yours isn't
    - 72Wh battery which is hot swappable with the current 24 Wh
    - The plastic lid to magnesium lid
    - Buy up to 64GBs of RAM
    - Dual SSD using the LTE slot (useful when dual booting multiple OS)
    Those are the upgrades I know, but who knows if there are other ways to upgrade it.

• @Muhammad14W
      @Muhammad14W Рік тому +7

Very nice review. My T480 is on it's way to my home.

• @EVILAKUMA
      @EVILAKUMA Рік тому +2

Wow nice ....I have a T740s I7 256GB I got for pics browsing and some snes retro games. How long do these laptops last ?

• @mohamedaminerai7132
      @mohamedaminerai7132 Рік тому +2

would you recommend the t480 over the 480s?

• @scooupa
      @scooupa 7 місяців тому +1

Did you buy it from Amazon?? Pls reply

• @zhila5958
      @zhila5958 5 місяців тому

@@mohamedaminerai7132Did you pick one sir?

• @wombat1238marsupial
    @wombat1238marsupial 3 роки тому +428

There's an old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Listen Lenovo

• @niuchajianfa6222
      @niuchajianfa6222 3 роки тому +31

Nokia and Motorala listened and they are all DEAD. Companys sure dont seem to want to hire people like u who like to manage companys by "old says".

• @Kikker861
      @Kikker861 3 роки тому +68

@@niuchajianfa6222 Nokia and Motorola died not because of old sayings, but rather because they threw buckets of money into developing their own version and failing. It was entirely possible for Nokia to survive with their camera quality as a selling point, but Nokia went with Windows phone and died while Android existed long before the Windows phone initiative. What worked back then was Android and Nokia just didn't listen.

• @LouisSubearth
      @LouisSubearth 3 роки тому +18

@@niuchajianfa6222 Nokia and Motorola "died" because they dismissed the iPhone as a fad.

• @Locutus
      @Locutus 3 роки тому +3

@@Kikker861 While Windows Phone was newer than Android, it has its origins in Windows Mobile, which was a form of CE. Microsoft were involved in the portable computer market long before Google. Even Apple were a couple of years before Microsoft with the Newton.

• @nielsdebakker3283
      @nielsdebakker3283 3 роки тому +1

@@niuchajianfa6222 Guess who builds motorola phones nowadays. (lenovo)

• @w1ck3dz0d1ac
    @w1ck3dz0d1ac 3 роки тому +72

I loved the ThiccPad. It reminds me the happier golden age of the internet.

• @MattTheriot
    @MattTheriot 3 роки тому +332

I absolutely LOVE my T480 and have upgraded it significantly. Two upgrades addressing points you raised are A. getting a glass trackpad from an X1 Extreme, and B. Getting a dual heat-pipe cooler, allowing the CPU to stay cooler and achieve higher frequencies for longer.
    I do agree that having charging ports not soldered to the board is a good idea, but to me that is the ONLY downside to the T480. With the updated thunderbolt firmware apparently fixing the bug, it is unfortunate that happened and Lenovo should repair any units, but it is no longer an issue.
    Full list of my mods and upgrades:
    Glass Trackpad from X1 Extreme
    LowPower FHD Display from T490 (Part number N140HCG-GQ2 Rev.B1)
    72wh external battery
    2x8gb DDR4
    1tb 2.5inch Sata SSD
    Intel AX200 Wifi 6
    Patch WWAN antennas installed
    HP branded Cat 9 LTE Modem installed (Same part as Lenovo part, but $30 instead of $150)
    Dual heat-pipe cooler (for DGPU models)
    Modded BIOS to remove WWAN Whitelist

• @andrealin6159
      @andrealin6159 3 роки тому +30

I suggest to buy a type c magnetic adapter, so U wont risk to break USB c ports

• @jaysonibanez1088
      @jaysonibanez1088 2 роки тому +5

Thats nice. Im planning on getting one myself. and thankfully most of the problems are already resolved

• @Simon-xi8tb
      @Simon-xi8tb Рік тому +18

Hey! That is great. Do you have any blogpost on those upgrades for DIYers ?

• @j0w03l
      @j0w03l Рік тому +10

I realise this is a very old comment, but do you happen to know where you found this BIOS? Wouldn't mind modding mine..

• @BotchedGod
      @BotchedGod Рік тому

You're a G for this upgrade list i know what im getting next, my X1 carbon just doesnt have the ports to do the work i wanna do

• @koolioperson5534
    @koolioperson5534 3 роки тому +169

Censored to prevent a comment war over how much thermal paste I should use, hahahaha, I remember when LGR did the same thing hahahah

• @xilw3r
    @xilw3r 3 роки тому +125

I got a P1 gen1 through my uni. Best machine I could have asked for. ram not soldered, 2 nvme slots, full size sd, 80wh battery, everything is rather easy to replace. and its so light and thin its amazing.

• @jordanredd2519
      @jordanredd2519 3 роки тому +1

I have x1 extreme gen 2. I’m highly considering buying the P1 this Black Friday though.

• @matthewextra9168
      @matthewextra9168 9 місяців тому

I found a great deal on one, had some issues with fast bootup which caused instability. But now I love it, the 100% srgb screen is amazing as well as the performance

• @michaellk2254
    @michaellk2254 3 роки тому +54

Hey Seb, I just wanted to let you know that I modded my t440 with a t450 trackpad and my t430 with an I7-3632qm, dual heatpipe fan, Artic Mx4 paste, 500gb ssd and 2x8gb DDR3L ram for a total (including the machine) of roughly 300$ CAD. I bought an Asus with the 3632qm for 100$, sold some of the parts, which greatly brought my cost down.

• @sophiaonyoutube
    @sophiaonyoutube Рік тому +7

Thank you for the 22-minute review. Enjoyed every minute of it. Looking forward to your future video about T480.

• @mikethorpe746
    @mikethorpe746 3 роки тому +8

Thanks for your videos Sebi. You inspired me to buy and upgrade the T430 after a while looking around for a good machine and not being able to find one. I've not looked back since!

• @IronicTonic8
    @IronicTonic8 2 роки тому +9

I've been using ThinkPad's for work since 2010 and my personal favorite model is the T480. I liked it so much I bought one for personal use and got a great deal on it. I'm not knocking the older models because I've had a great experience with them too. I was particularly fond of my T430 before it was upgraded by my IT department.

• @papercut1987
    @papercut1987 3 роки тому +22

Bought my W520 in 2012, still using it today (upgraded hdd in 2014, left speaker cable were having contact prob, but it was a easy fix). I think 20/30 era were really the greatest.

• @leandrolaporta2196
    @leandrolaporta2196 3 роки тому +81

"censored to prevent how much thermal paste apply" hahaahahahahahaahab that was hilarious, very appreciated

• @Kikker861
      @Kikker861 3 роки тому +3

Modern problems require modern solutions.

• @SATaiHangTung
    @SATaiHangTung Рік тому +1

Excellent retrospective video. I love my T480 as well and your video covers all the things I can think of concerning T480.

• @RobsRedHotSpot
    @RobsRedHotSpot 3 роки тому +19

I bought a refurbished t460 about a year ago and your videos have me wishing I went for either a t480 or an older model + upgrades! That said, I'm happy with the computer I bought and the retailer upgraded the specs during the refurbishing to 16 GB ram and a 500 GB SSD.

• @SebisRandomTech
      @SebisRandomTech  3 роки тому +3

As long as you're happy with the T460, that's what matters! It's still a very good machine.

• @NickHopkinsMedia
      @NickHopkinsMedia 7 місяців тому

i got a 460 also cause i didnt know much when i bought it. works well enough for under 200 dollars

• @JoseAngelFlores
    @JoseAngelFlores 3 роки тому +4

I`ve got a used T440 and I simply love it! It´s got an i5, it came with 4 GB, only one slot. I replaced it with an 8 GB and runs fast. It has two batteries, and two other slots for storage, one for a small 15 GB SSD for cache, but since I replaced the drive for an SSD, I use it for storage. I also discovered another slot, underneath the internal battery, for an MSata drive, I got one in Amazon, 128 GB, so now it has three drives. It is also touch, with fingerprint reader. I really love this machine.

• @dergrunepunkt
    @dergrunepunkt 3 роки тому +9

I have a X1 Cabon and I just noticed the camera shutter cover!, thanks for that mate.

• @metal571
    @metal571 3 роки тому +32

Extremely well made and informative video. From a fellow diehard ThinkPad fan, thank you

• @Trevski2001
    @Trevski2001 Рік тому +9

Thanks for this very informative video. I've been using a T420 for a few years and it has served me well. I've heard some horror stories about newer models so have not felt the urge to upgrade. The only slight niggle is that the webcam stopped working about two years ago after a windows update, I've tried several 'fixes' since then, none of which work. This seems to be a common problem. One thing I like about the older machines is that they have a cd/dvd drive. I will likely upgrade to the T480 when the time comes.

• @tomschmidt381
      @tomschmidt381 Рік тому +1

I'm using a T420 as a poor man's server on our home LAN. I replaced the main HDD with an SSD and stuck a multi TB drive in the CD slot. In addition to the T420 both my wife and I have T520 laptop. Not cool and sexy like modern ultra thin laptops but we like them.

• @Lavimoe
    @Lavimoe 3 роки тому +5

17:05 OMG I'm so glad to see someone else also has a broken fan shield! I was so sad when I saw mine was broken XD

• @DiegoTorresNavarro
    @DiegoTorresNavarro 3 роки тому +8

At my work I've owned, T420, T440, T470, and T490s (now) . My favorite T420 the real tough laptop. I work at a mining cooper, 4500 masl, 20C below zero in winter.

• @chrono3690
    @chrono3690 Рік тому +13

Always wanted one, now I am receiving a T450 as a hand-me-down for free, super looking forward to it. Seems like it's a decent step in-between T430 and T480. The replaceable power connector is a huge deal for me especially that I can simply get a USB-C adapter that should work with any 65-100w charging brick anyway.

• @Svaren
    @Svaren 3 роки тому +36

I got a T480s just a couple months ago. I’m really loving it! Currently running Linux mint and running my web design business on it. I’ll have 50+ tabs open on firefox and it just keeps truckin.
    I even edited a few (simple) videos on it and it handled better then my old dell.
    16gb of ram and 156gb SSD currently.

• @cpan2552
      @cpan2552 3 роки тому

With mt current laptop Dell Lattitude E5330. I have such a hard time with Photoshop being so slow. As well as Logitech webcam sync. Forget about the software that helps edit the video for upload to youyube. Is T480 up to the task/speed( if I add in extra memory)?

• @Svaren
      @Svaren 3 роки тому

@@cpan2552 I can't really say because I'm using Linux which runs leaner than Windows would. Which you would need if you want to continue using Photoshop. I actually recently switched over to a Mac Mini with the new M1 and man it's freaking game changing fast.

• @cpan2552
      @cpan2552 3 роки тому

@@Svaren I got me an MSI gaming laptop. It is fast. No problem we're with photoshop or editting. What a difference $1400 makes!

• @saraofnorthwales
      @saraofnorthwales Рік тому

@@cpan2552 My goodness, I'm editing full HD on a T400 with 30 mins of video rendering in just over 2 hours. On Linux Kdenlive in 4GB RAM. And its snappy, too. Mind you, T9900 processor of course, yet anything above 2.4Ghz is ok.

• @computerherz1
      @computerherz1 Рік тому

@@saraofnorthwales what is your secret i want to do video editing full HD and iam afraid that the t430 wouldnt be enough powerfull

• @v1deo.hunter.d317
    @v1deo.hunter.d317 3 роки тому +15

I've been using an i7 X230 for all my remote work throughout quarantine and it's great

• @chregig7967
    @chregig7967 3 роки тому +1

Got the same model myself and absolutely loving it

• @JorgeLozaMadAboutTechnology
    @JorgeLozaMadAboutTechnology 3 роки тому +1

I have this laptop, before I had t420 and I fell in love with both!

• @kiuderx
    @kiuderx 3 роки тому +10

Great review (as always, and I especially enjoy seeing ThinkPads with the Pittsburgh area scenery) with comparisons of past and recent thinkpads. I can only hope that there will be a return to more modular, upgradeable designs. Surprising that the T14 only goes up to 16 GB of soldered RAM (unless I’m missing something). I had a charging connector on a T450s that snapped off and it was such a breeze to replace. Oh well!!!! One can only hope that the Lenovo design team will go to bat for us one day and urge management to not make decisions based solely on cost -- there are enough ultrabooks out there).
    Look forward to seeing your T430 upgrade videos.

• @andrewnguyen4826
      @andrewnguyen4826 3 роки тому +1

t14 has soldered ram + 1 slot up to 32gb stick i think

• @bencze465
      @bencze465 2 роки тому

This comment has aged well, with the frame.work laptop being around. My only problem is I could only ever like the classic Thinkpad keyboard, and can somehow tolerate the new type, and I hate anything else and can't type properly on them. Still browsing around to decide whether to get a t480, a new e14 gen3 amd, or just try and sneak a frame.work out of the US somehow. Modifying an older model seems a hobby in itself, not sure I want to do that, but I would love if we could really upgrade ourselves anything...
      EVERY notebook in the world should get Thinkpad keyboard (or better), I would be so much happier and choice would be easier...

• @jm036
      @jm036 Рік тому

@@bencze465 framework is a meme, hp elitebooks never ditched socketed memory

• @bencemervay
    @bencemervay 3 роки тому +7

Finally! I have been waiting for this :)

• @RandomGuy-ux9zc
    @RandomGuy-ux9zc 3 роки тому +2

I just got me a second handed T470 touch screen variant. This one is, as I'm seeing in your video, almost the same computer as the one you're reviewing (same keyboard, same fingerprint sensor, it does come with thunderbolt and has the caps and Fn indicators). Differences are then the processor (huge one here) and some ports and aesthetics. I guess it was a nice purchase then.

• @TheEricsheng
    @TheEricsheng 3 роки тому

Although there is many people complaint the design of current Thinkpad model. But every time I have a chance to touch these Thinkpad, I still fall in love with them.

• @kansnex
    @kansnex 6 місяців тому +3

I initially didn't fully understand why many people praised the Thinkpad so much, but after watching your videos on them, I finally decided to take the plunge.
    Last month, after some research and money savings, I decided to purchase a T480 to replace my 2011 Toshiba Satellite with a broken keyboard connector(repaired with a note card piece by yours truly). After some searching I landed on one with an i5-8250U, 1080p IPS display model with no SSD or RAM for about $150. Put 16GB of ram in, a 256GB SSD, updated the firmware to fix the weird thunderbolt bug, and I love it. Getting it open was scary, but after opening it swapping parts was incredibly easy. It's quiet, fast, surprisingly thin, rugged, has great IO, good battery life even if the external battery is dead, and while I didn't really like the keyboard initially, it's really grown on me. Thank you Sebi, and the Thinkpad & Linux community for showing me the light :)

• @SebisRandomTech
      @SebisRandomTech  6 місяців тому +2

Welcome to the club! Glad you're happy with your purchase!

• @Sparky_Chipmunk
    @Sparky_Chipmunk 3 роки тому +7

I still have a T430, as well as a T500, both still working very well. The newer things tend to break easier.

• @TheRealTrimBrady
    @TheRealTrimBrady 3 роки тому +2

Just received my x240. Good device. I love it!

• @wiegraf9009
    @wiegraf9009 2 роки тому +1

I used to have one of these for work. Great keyboard and very dependable!

• @gauravrangnani4703
    @gauravrangnani4703 3 роки тому +4

Wow such a detailed video about a single laptop!! 👍👍👏👏

• @DFiNEdotnet
    @DFiNEdotnet 3 роки тому +87

Its really sad, that the charging port is not a separate part. It hurts the survivability of the laptop so much! Ive changed charge ports on so many thinkpads, giving them the chance to live even longer.

• @klwthe3rd
      @klwthe3rd 3 роки тому +24

Doesn't surprise me cause Lenovo wants the unit to fail. Then they will get the repair money to fix it. There is no more user serviceable products anywhere anymore. It sucks.

• @iamdmc
      @iamdmc 3 роки тому +13

I agree it was the worst design decision of this range. It could and should have been on a daughter board which would have made it much more repairable

• @MineMiguel40
      @MineMiguel40 3 роки тому +6

it's pretty weird, too. I was always under the impression that Thinkpads were built to last like 10 years easily.

• @Sadenki
      @Sadenki 3 роки тому +11

Its 2020 bro, micro soldering is a thing now, fairly cheap

• @flaviusstilicho5311
      @flaviusstilicho5311 3 роки тому +15

Anyone knows why Lenovo now has soldered RAM in almost all their models ???
      What is the objective ??? Is to prevent repair in case of failure or is to impede upgrades???
      Those laptops with soldered RAM do they have the DIMM slots also or they don't???
      Any input appreciated

• @seanlong9049
    @seanlong9049 Місяць тому +1

The dual heatpipe heatsink intended for versions with the external GPU nearly doubles the cooling capacity for models without the GPU. It is a simple bolt-in replacement, just add a little foam to the gpu heat plate so it doesn't short out anything.

• @hahaiseewhatyouredoing9086
    @hahaiseewhatyouredoing9086 3 роки тому +321

"For the first time we have laptop, tablets and smartphone all uses the same charger."
    **shows an iPhone**

• @SebisRandomTech
      @SebisRandomTech  3 роки тому +55

😎😎😎

• @acos21
      @acos21 3 роки тому +11

@pat UISB-C only is a trend Macbook pushed and set the standard for. They just make too much money on cables to kill it for iphone and ipad.

• @adueppen
      @adueppen 3 роки тому +12

@pat "waiting to see what's trending" my phone from 5 years ago had type-c, it's not exactly a new thing and it's certainly tried and true

@hahaiseewhatyouredoing9086 3 роки тому +1

@@acos21 But that also Thunderbolt, which is make it more useful and versatile (also allows for some "expansion" too e.g. eGPU, external PCIe slot, etc). Not to mention USB-C is more durable than microUSB.

@hahaiseewhatyouredoing9086 3 роки тому +1

@pat That simply exagerrating. The unibody aluminium + black keycaps design of Macbook Pro is only aged 11 years now and their last minor redesign is back in 2016.

• @tthermic
    @tthermic 3 роки тому +25

as someone who mainly uses a t480 for my personal work i'd say it's a decent laptop for the price. Here are a few of my thoughts:
    - The build quality is very sturdy and the laptop is very rigid. Good keyboard and trackpad.
    - The display is very ugly in my opinion, despite being 1080p it is very whitewashed with poor contrast. It is really the biggest weakness of the laptop in my opinion, makes everything unpleasing to look at. Every other laptop i've used in the last 7 years has had a more pleasing display with better colors, even if it had lower resolution.
    - Stock performance is ok. I am a linux user and after using the laptop with ubuntu i would often cap out the RAM doing web development work. (running mongodb, nodejs backend server and react server as well as a few chrome tabs would put me at 8 gigs). Using the laptop with ubuntu for about half a year it became very slow, but after making a fresh install with a new linux distro it became relatively fast again. Overall it's passable.
    - It would be nice if lenovo supported drivers or at least open sourced their windows ones for the fingerprint sensor, because on linux it is basically a place holder. But thats a lot to ask for.
    Overall its a decent little machine, very reliable and discrete.

• @edwardkirby2204
    @edwardkirby2204 3 роки тому +8

If you upgrade the heatsink on your t480 with the dual heat pipe unit you'll have a better time with thermals (and light loads won't even have the fan kick in). You do need to protect the pins for the GPU as it's meant to cool it down.

• @benfreeman9717
    @benfreeman9717 Рік тому

I've used a T480 as my daily driver for over two years and I'm still pleased with it.

• @antoinechabas9380
    @antoinechabas9380 3 роки тому +1

I got a new T480 in Jan, superb all around daily use workhorse, you can Netflix end of a long day, and with the bridge battery system I'm getting 18 to 22 hours on a single charge with a hot swappable backup 24Whr battery to boot!

• @J-Stoic
    @J-Stoic 3 роки тому +9

I'm still using my X220 for a laptop dedicated to my hobby research/education (Fish keeping)

• @RERM001
    @RERM001 Рік тому +4

I really like the nod to the fact that a lot of us Thinkpad users find the Trackpoint more appealing than the touchpad. Personally, the first Trackpoint I used was the one found on the 2011 HP Elitebook, which was a decent laptop, but definitively not on the same mark as Thinkpads are, that thing had rather awful feeling left and right click buttons, while my T460 feels like a dream compared to that.

• @imuser007
    @imuser007 3 роки тому +2

Great review bro about ThinkPad each segments I love your channel ❤️

• @angli232
    @angli232 3 роки тому +2

Very detail cover on the difference between all Lenovo models, best bang for your buck on the work laptop category! Ps probably cause by the new screen upgrade you did!

• @herrfaust2020
    @herrfaust2020 3 роки тому +8

I had considered this model, since the T470 and T480 replaced the T440s/T450s. I like having the option for an m.2 SSD + 2.5" HDD. Also nice is that the touch function is now "baked" into the panel, so there's no glass overlay to affect the image. But what killed it for me is the terrible IPS panel, with ~60% sRGB gamut. The T440/T450 series had a ~95% gamut AUO panel. The 2016 X1 models even used a newer revision of the same AUO panel. Shame that Lenovo cheaped out for the T470/T480. I wonder if it was intentional, to create (more of) a gap between the T480s and the X1 Carbon, since the Txxxs models have gotten slimmer.
    However, I picked up an X1 Yoga with QHD screen, which isn't as bad as I thought at 100% scaling, so maybe I will consider a T480 QHD in the future. BTW, I lucked out in getting one with an OLED screen, and whatever drawbacks you've heard about OLED, you don't care when you're actually looking at the awesome quality.
    PS. I never cared for the older non-S variants. You might as well go back and get the last real ThinkPad, the 600X, designed and made by IBM. Everything after was made in China.

• @maniacaudiophile
    @maniacaudiophile 3 роки тому +4

I bought my T480 with MX150 about 6 month ago and I did notice it is somewhat challenging to cool this laptop. I used an utility to run the fan at max all the time, as the fan is quieter than my ambient noise level even at full speed.
    I also used much better thermal grease from Cooler Master, which did help a few degrees. What I finally did was to cut open the grills of the case around the fan blades to let the fan suck in more air. I did purchase a complete new bottom case (they call it D shell, same name convention as A, B, C pillars in cars), so in case I need to return it back to original condition, I can do that too.
    So far it's been working great for me, I can't really go back to the older ThinkPads for daily use anymore, due to the significantly better graphics performance of MX150. Which completely steamrolled W541's Quadro graphics card.

• @williamsquibb5249
      @williamsquibb5249 10 місяців тому

My fan runs full tilt just on charge and running something like chrome.

• @maniacaudiophile
      @maniacaudiophile 10 місяців тому

@@williamsquibb5249 replace thermal paste with high grade ones, and carefully clean out all dust and dirt from the fan and heatsink when you have it out. It will make a huge difference.

• @SamuelHollandsh
    @SamuelHollandsh 3 роки тому +1

Nice job covering everything, and thanks for sharing🙂👍

• @waldamy
    @waldamy 3 роки тому +93

"For the first time we have laptops, tablets and smartphones, that are all using the same charging connector"
    *puts a tablet with micro-usb and an iPhone as an example*
    Literally three different charging ports. Somehow I find it rather funny.

• @SebisRandomTech
      @SebisRandomTech  3 роки тому +40

I think you’re the first one who understood the joke 😎

• @jamesm5192
      @jamesm5192 3 роки тому

@@SebisRandomTech What about the T495? Not that much different, right? Plus it doesn't come with WinTel shit.

• @SebisRandomTech
      @SebisRandomTech  3 роки тому +8

All of the same stupid design choices of the T490. Having AMD processors is its only advantage.
      Plus there is the A485 which is a T480 with AMD chips.

• @postnick
    @postnick 3 роки тому +3

I've had a T430 - T440 - T480 and the T440 is fine as long as you never ever used the trackpad or internal screen. The T480 is pretty great as well. The T430 was used so long ago but after I got work to give me an SSD and 16 gigs of ram it was much better. I got lucky all of mine have had pretty good i7 chips with dual batteries.

• @TheCodeTinkerer
    @TheCodeTinkerer Рік тому +4

Great and thorough video explanation the evolution of the T series in the 2010's.
    I'm about to get a refurbed T480 for about 260 bucks. My last ThinkPad was a T61.

• @SebisRandomTech
      @SebisRandomTech  Рік тому +1

I hope you enjoy it!

• @narcissistinjurygiver2932
      @narcissistinjurygiver2932 7 місяців тому

@@SebisRandomTech i am confused. there are 2 hard drives? So If i want to install the 2.5 sata ssd with windows 10 pro would I also have to change that m2 hard drive?

• @SebisRandomTech
      @SebisRandomTech  7 місяців тому

@@narcissistinjurygiver2932 There is a 2.5" drive bay on the T480 that, depending on the configuration when it was built. comes with a 2.5" SATA hard drive or a bracket and a 2282 NVMe SSD. Either or.

• @syedia
    @syedia 3 роки тому +3

17:16 as someone who lives in the UK where it's always winter that can be useful 😊

• @airborneranger-ret
    @airborneranger-ret 3 роки тому +2

Very nicely done. I like the "classic" keyboard of the 520/420 and earlier :)

• @oOignignoktOo1
    @oOignignoktOo1 9 місяців тому +7

I just picked up 2x thinkpad t480's for $237.50 ea. After repasting the cpu with Arctic MX-6 and cleaning out the fans the machines are working wonderfully for the use cases I have them for. Only thing I wish I could've done was done a dual heat pipe cooler mod but the stock cooler works good enough.

• @escapetherace1943
      @escapetherace1943 2 місяці тому

you paid over 300 dollars more than you should've, easily. Lol.

• @oOignignoktOo1
      @oOignignoktOo1 2 місяці тому

@@escapetherace1943 I probably could've got them cheaper sure but you have to find the right people looking to liquidate their equipment.
      In the end though it wasn't me that paid for em but it was a relative that did and they were happy with the machine, haven't heard any complaints from them with the laptop since they got it.

• @thegamerboy1000
    @thegamerboy1000 3 роки тому +4

Watched this on my T460 and I love this thing especially after I installed a 1080p panel, installed a ssd and linux. All thanks to you Sebi

• @JohnWilson-hb5qc
    @JohnWilson-hb5qc 3 роки тому +5

Excellent video as always.

• @MohamedAli965
    @MohamedAli965 3 роки тому +4

I love my T430s, one of the best purchases I've ever made. Never let me down when I need it. I use it as a portable uni/work computer and its excellent for my use which has a lot of engineering software and simulation programs.. Just wish the battery wasnt awful

• @SebisRandomTech
      @SebisRandomTech  3 роки тому +3

That’s my biggest gripe with the T430s. Even with an UltraBay battery (those are slowly but surely becoming impossible to find) the battery life is still sub-par at best. My T430 (not -s) with a 9-cell battery lasts far longer.

• @duartefh88
    @duartefh88 3 роки тому +7

glad I'm still rolling with my fully modded T430 :)

• @Bercik87
    @Bercik87 3 роки тому +10

7:50 THAT is how keyboard should look like: multimedia keys for volume, mute, microphone, rows above Fs.... oh man

• @fabricatedego
    @fabricatedego 3 роки тому +2

I would love to get a T480 to tinker on and enjoyed the video. Although old and outdated I am enjoying my refurbished Edge E545 I bought from a recycling plant. It books up pretty quick and is very functional even though it's from 2013/2014. As much as I would love to get a newer laptop, I am not a fan of the soldiered on parts as I like to upgrade and swap things out.

• @MnemonicCarrier
    @MnemonicCarrier 3 роки тому +1

Please do a review of the TRS-80 Model II (or even the Model IV).
    BTW - Thanks so much for creating so many awesome ThinkPad videos!!!

• @luyangche8278
    @luyangche8278 3 роки тому +5

Watching this on a Thinkpad A485, which is basically a T480 with an AMD chip instead. I managed to get it for almost half the price of the T480 during its launch because Lenovo was running some AMD discount on their website, which is really fortunate for me. I just wished that the cooling was better on this computer, but it has been awesome to use otherwise.

• @ytguy2010
    @ytguy2010 3 роки тому +60

Bravo. That was a nice review. You even bring up the problems like the Thunderbolt.
    I still prefer the T430/T530.
    The T480 is expensive in Canada even used.

• @32BitLink
      @32BitLink 3 роки тому +7

Expect to price to drop once the 3 year lease goes up for businesses

• @elbe-ds7iu
      @elbe-ds7iu 3 роки тому +3

For me, the W-series is the way to go. Because I don't care if it is a bit THICC and an old (not expensive) W-series Thinkpad performs equal or better than many newer Models.

• @MrEugenio1994
      @MrEugenio1994 3 роки тому

@@32BitLink when will it be?

• @nadams127
      @nadams127 3 роки тому

Expensive here too going for 650+ No thanks lol =) I'll just get the W531 and be happy =0

• @plus4566
      @plus4566 3 роки тому

@@MrEugenio1994 for 2 year leases, cheaper offers by refurbishers started showing up by the beginning of this year.

• @unwarranted657
    @unwarranted657 6 місяців тому

I have a T430 in really good condition. Bought it more than five years ago to use while studying. The only thing that needed a replacement was the original six cell battery that I switched out for a nine cell grippable one. Aside from being a heavier piece of kit, I'll still swear by it. Great laptop for everyday use as far as what I need out of it.

• @TheMasonkerr
    @TheMasonkerr 3 роки тому +24

id be happier with a thicker laptop as long as the keyboard/repairability/ports are good

• @eduardoavila646
    @eduardoavila646 3 роки тому +76

Other downside of soldered ram is if it gets bad. Ram chips can die, and if its soldered, goodbye motherboard....

• @beandrive
      @beandrive 3 роки тому +13

You can always send it the Rossman Group in NYC for repair.

• @weltschmerz88
      @weltschmerz88 3 роки тому +3

@@beandrive they only do mac repairs

• @orjanjhmagnusson
      @orjanjhmagnusson 3 роки тому +2

weltschmerz Since when, are you sure about that ?

• @maxmasterton4138
      @maxmasterton4138 3 роки тому

weltschmerz no they don’t

• @herrfaust2020
      @herrfaust2020 3 роки тому +13

Even if Rossman only works on Macs, they're not the only company in the world to do board-level repairs.

• @necktwister666
    @necktwister666 3 роки тому +7

same issues with my 9th gen i5 asus undervolt it with the intel xtu and it gets better but its still some temperature software issue

• @MarkJay
    @MarkJay 3 роки тому +2

Nice video. I've also noticed thermal issues with my T480. The cpu clock speed will drop as low as 0.4ghz and basically crawls until I restart.

• @rafal1764
    @rafal1764 Рік тому

Good to see you in 7th minute!!! Writting this in 2023-02-23 ;-) V. good seriers about ThinkPad... series ! 🙂

• @ricardomaggiore5518
    @ricardomaggiore5518 3 роки тому +3

T430 is the perfect machine. I am Using it since 2016, bought it used, it's the best notebook ever. Easy to repair, lots or parts available online.

• @comicsans1689
      @comicsans1689 3 роки тому

It's perfect as long as you swap the keyboard with a T420 keyboard.

• @Sasha-ff5ce
    @Sasha-ff5ce 3 роки тому +4

God thank you, the first source to confirm for me that the T480 processor is soldered in and non-upgradable. I think I still may go for a T480 given the RAM and storage room, though I wish it had a CD drive. Still may choose it over a T440p for the battery life. Also for the purposes of clarity and anyone who may want to reply, besides getting an upgradable, older thinkpad, I might just shill out and get a new X390 for the simplicity.

• @Kenaz82
    @Kenaz82 3 роки тому +1

Great video! I think I'm sold on buying a T480 for my next machine.

• @GMKiko
    @GMKiko 2 роки тому +1

had a t70 for work - so reliable and got shit done...
    Then i came across a t480 for a 7th gen for 100 bucks, jumped on it. Fell back in love with the T series. Handed that one to my GF for school work and got a quad core i7 version for 150 that needed major refurbishing. Working on it now, but plan to keep this one for a while.

• @lorcro2000
    @lorcro2000 3 роки тому +8

I got a T490 at work (the company standardized on Lenovo). It's a great laptop, but I do lament the lack of battery swappability and such.

• @boxwoodgreen
    @boxwoodgreen 3 роки тому +8

I bought a T430 about 5 years ago from a very competent Microsoft Certified Refurbisher. It's still my favorite device. I added a second 8Gb memory stick myself, which required the removal of the keyboard. Thinkpads in this class are winners, and if you find one in good condition, I'd highly recommend one.

• @comicsans1689

Did you do a keyboard swap on it? Because that's the only way I would use a T430 over something like my T420.

• @boxwoodgreen
      @boxwoodgreen 3 роки тому

@@comicsans1689 I had no experience with any of the other models in that line, Hence no reason to think of that. For the price ... easily a third of the price of a new laptop of that capability I'm still very happy with it. What's the keyboard difference ? That would be good to know, as I'm going to have to replace the hinges soon.

• @comicsans1689
      @comicsans1689 3 роки тому +1

@@boxwoodgreen The T430 was when Lenovo decided to move from the classic keyboard to the chiclet keyboards. I personally hate chiclet keyboards, so I never moved beyond my T420 and X220t. I recommend trying out the classic keyboard from one of the older Thinkpads just to get a feel for the difference. If you still prefer the chiclet keyboard on the T430, then it's perfectly fine. It's just that me and many other Thinkpad enthusiasts much prefer the classic 7 row keyboard because of how more tactile they feel.

• @boxwoodgreen
      @boxwoodgreen 3 роки тому +1

@@comicsans1689 Thanks ! I appreciate you passing on your knowledge of the range.

• @comicsans1689

@@boxwoodgreen You're welcome. The T430 is still a fine Thinkpad outside of the keyboard because it's essentially the T420 with 3rd gen Intel processor and the chiclet keyboard.

• @flyingcod14
    @flyingcod14 3 роки тому +1

T420s lasted me 4 years before battery started to not hold charge. T450s lasted 4.5 years, added 6 cell battery. Now just starting on the T480s. All great laptops. You could say I am a fan.

• @frankdaeran352
    @frankdaeran352 11 місяців тому

Very comprehensive, thanks 👍

• @EB-xg1jf
    @EB-xg1jf 3 роки тому +9

I would say go for a T450s. It's a great balance between older ThinkPads and the more recent ones, especially if you can't upgrade the T430 yourself as others recommend (T450s can be upgraded to meet your needs as well). I got mine last year for a good price (260$ - i7, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd, full hd IPS display) and don't see the need to open the machine to change anything. I also still use the batteries that came with the laptop and they work great (at least 6hrs with WiFi and Bluetooth ON).

• @AbuzarGhaffaree
      @AbuzarGhaffaree Рік тому

Still using ❓

• @tomis181
      @tomis181 Рік тому +1

@@AbuzarGhaffaree I've got a t450s with a dual core i5. Even with a new 72wh I recently bought it dies fairly quick just doing simple browsing. Whenever windows updates or I open a few too many tabs/applications it chokes up and the fans ramp up to a noticeably distracting level. Dual boot with debian and tend to get less fan noise, not much greater battery life. I would get at minimum a quad core thinkpad (t480 or later) if you are looking for a laptop still. Even with the downsides of the newer models its not worth having it stall out imo.

• @deepblue007
    @deepblue007 3 роки тому +4

Almost 3 years with my T480 and still going strong. Think it can go for another 3 years.

• @PearComputingDevices
    @PearComputingDevices 3 роки тому +1

Once again you've done a pretty good video on this. For years I've said unless your in to upgrading an older Thinkpad, stay away from them. Not because of course I don't like Thinkpads, but because I know not everyone can or will want to upgrade older hardware. That's not me of course. I sport an XPS 13 De as my daily driver, and have a Latitude 5491 with a 6 core intel CPU and Nvidia mx 130 graphics.. Neither are bad laptops, but compared to my e6540 with an i7 quad core and radeon graphics, the only thing lacking is portability. I would still rather type on my e6440, or have my T420 back long before doing anything tedious on my 5491 and that has a great keyboard too, but it's nothing next to my older stuff. But if I was thinking about buying a modern Thinkpad, certainly the T480 would be on my list. I am only bothered by the same Thunderbolt issues that seem to plague my 5491. Even with a beefed up cooler my 5491 still is a portable heater in every sense once plugged in to my TB16 dock. But I am glad that it's not like that on my lap!

• @camerone397
    @camerone397 2 роки тому +1

Great video, and I just wanna mention that you saved my ass at 17:34. I was so close to picking up a T490 and just assumed that an SSD in the WWAN slot would work and thanks to the note, I actually bothered to check online and lo and behold, it doesn't work. So thanks a lot lol.

• @SebisRandomTech
      @SebisRandomTech  2 роки тому +1

I'm glad you dodged a bullet there! I have no idea why Lenovo chose to remove WWAN SSD compatibility from the T490. Just seems like a completely artificial restriction to have.

• @MateuszPetkiewicz
    @MateuszPetkiewicz 3 роки тому +10

I wanted to buy ThinkPad P73, but I quickly switched to Zbook 17 G6. I was surprised how modular Zbook is and no screws to open it and swap some devices. It also uses daughter-board for graphic card so I'll be able to upgrade later. From what I heard next P-line devices will go back to modular philosophy, but some people don't have time to wait ;) Cheers.

• @My_Old_YT_Account
      @My_Old_YT_Account Рік тому

Fun fact, the AMD card from that Zbook is one of the few that makes old iMacs able to run modern versions of MacOS without many drawbacks

• @NhanGordon
    @NhanGordon 3 роки тому +3

Still have my T420 i5 4gb ddr3 working as a typing laptop, working along with my Precision 7510 Xeon 32gb ddr4. I will consider Precision 7540 and Lenovo P53 when I need a 64gb laptop.

• @Milko.Enchev
    @Milko.Enchev 3 місяці тому

Hi Sebi. I like your channel, lots of cool videos. I always loved the more robust and powerful business class laptops. I had like 20 Dell Latitudes, and 10 Elitebooks. When it comes to ThinkPad, i belive there is a fine line between the pre 2010 laptops (lets call them Vintage), the ones up to T440 (I will call them Classic) and the ones after that (The new ones). I have one of each period. My X200 Tablet is running Win 10 on a SSD, it works awesome, but the BGA CPU is a big bottleneck, otherwise the system is running smooth. It always draws attention when i take it to the university and use it, next to the new Macs. I have a T430, its used in a car shop for diagnostic, it faces some extreme conditions, and it is flawless. And my "new one" is ThinkPad X13 Gen2 with Ryzen 7 Pro 5850U, i was sceptical at first, but let me tell you, this machine is a beast. Small and super powerfull, the design is nice and the materials are nice to the touch, especially the touchpad. My point is, i like all of them, but in a complete different way. If i compare them, there is always something that one is missing and the other one has. That's my opinion. Thanks for the nice video. Cheers and sorry for my English.

• @zeonos
    @zeonos Місяць тому

We are using a lot of T480 from Circular Computing. they come looking as new and we only have minimal issues with them, mostly related to batteries which are easily replaced.

• @Mikurusenpai
    @Mikurusenpai 3 роки тому +4

Omfg everytime i see this laptop, i feel like i should work and finish the fs. My current laptop. Very intuitive to use for spreadsheets

• @ensom
    @ensom 3 роки тому +5

excellent review. the charging port should definitely be a separate, user replaceable part, and this almost caused me not to order my T480. However, a deal came up for mine, FHD IPS display, with 512 NVME for $600, new from lenovo site. So I went for it, and I don't regret it. Very nice machine imo, nice and snappy, performs much better than my T420 dual core. My "solution" to the USB-C charging port, is using a magnetic adapter, which should prevent any sort of mechanical stress or wear from damaging or wearing out the port. I applied the patched firmware / driver for the thunderbolt chipset as soon as I got mine, so I'm hoping it won't be an issue in the future. Time will tell! I do tend to think, that the T480 may indeed by the last true thinkpad, despite it's charging port. I was able to upgrade my RAM to 32 GB, there are multiple NVME options, and I still have replaceable external / internal battery options, so the T480 should have a long lifetime!

• @SebisRandomTech
      @SebisRandomTech  3 роки тому

I hope it works out for you! I'm curious to see how mine holds up.

• @warblo
    @warblo 3 роки тому +1

I bought this Model, And love it!

• @J26000
    @J26000 3 роки тому +1

I recently discovered a cheap laptop on eBay in the UK and this caused me to get one because of the honest reviews.

• @ultrametric9317
    @ultrametric9317 3 роки тому +7

My W520 is still rocking strong after 8 years. It has three disks and can run Windows and two VM operating systems natively (e.g. Windows XP and Linux) all at the same time. IMO it's the best Thinkpad ever made.

• @N2RI1
      @N2RI1 Рік тому

what dock does it use? can it dock on a 2503 adv doc?

• @stuartgreen5631
      @stuartgreen5631 Рік тому

My W500 just keeled over. My T60p is still working fine. I still like those keyboards best. Bought a T430s i7 16G. Different keyboard but still excellent.

• @j.p.9522
    @j.p.9522 3 роки тому +10

A kingly review for the king of Thinkpads!

• @BBaloa
    @BBaloa 3 місяці тому

Nice video man, i like im not the only one who loves to upgrade old equipment.

• @DespaceMan
    @DespaceMan Рік тому

The old HP Elite Books the metal cased ones last a very long time as well, strong unit. Only thing that went on mine was the battery, still boots up fine with WinNT no issues.

• @jackf1684
    @jackf1684 3 роки тому +3

I've been having a really big dilemma for some time. I've been using an X230 for a year and sunk so much money into it (Bought w/ an i5, backlit kb, the worst IPS revision panel but still IPS, and 8 GB of RAM) for 144 bucks and now the total is around 300 with all the upgrades, and around 250 without parts I can reuse. It has too many issues to consider fixing but I love the design and keyboard, honestly out of all the laptops I've used and abused this model I would gladly buy again if it had quad-core processors and a easier to find IPS panel.
    I've been looking for a T430 to upgrade and mod because I've seen some pretty nice ones, I don't know what to look for and what's the performance actually like? Can you play some games like Minecraft and or Roller Coaster Tycoon with reasonable expectations and low-ish settings? Also when would that T430 upgrades video be coming out?

• @PratikShahEditor
    @PratikShahEditor Рік тому +1

What an amazing indepth take

• @EB-wl3iy
    @EB-wl3iy 3 роки тому +2

I just paired my modded x240 that i use on the go with a big p50 I use for heavy duty stuff. I love this setup so far. I might get a t480 to replace the x240 when the prices drop. I think the X and P series are a great couple since one offers the best mobility and the other one offers the best performances. The old T series is a good all-rounder but it is also some sort of middle ground that I cannot find much use for. Does anyone share these feelings?