FRS and GMRS Handheld Radios from MidlandUSA - T290, T70, T20

Поділитися
Вставка
  • Опубліковано 29 лют 2020
  • Did I miss anything? I realize there are other radio options, but these three covered the main spectrum of GMRS, fully featured FRS, and minimalistic FRS.
    Here are the links for current pricing on these radios:
    amzn.to/2TxFngk - Midland - X-TALKER T20 4 pack
    amzn.to/3cm5EHc - Midland - X-TALKER T290 2 pack
    amzn.to/2vlb4Sf - Midland - X-TALKER T71 2 pack
    Please SUBSCRIBE on UA-cam if you want to see more of my videos!
  • Авто та транспорт

КОМЕНТАРІ • 55

• @jeffsheets9389
    @jeffsheets9389 4 роки тому

Those are looking pretty good !

• @clydeosterhout1221
    @clydeosterhout1221 3 роки тому +2

You should have included MURS radios. License free, external antennas allowed, and VHF instead of UHF (vhf works better outdoors with few obstructions. UHF goes “thru” things better) for better range.

• @Code3forever
    @Code3forever 2 роки тому +1

I purchased my 1st Midland radio around 1970. Before that, I used Radio Shack tranceivers, mainly the TRC 24. That was an excellent radio. I wanted to get into Side Band and bought the Midland 13-880B Side Band CB Base Station with an AstroPlane Antenna. Both were superb radios. As far as GMRS radios are concerned, the Midland GXT 1000 VP4 is the best in my opinion for distance and quality. Those are 5 watt radios but 36 miles is a stretch. The XTRA-TALKER is a great radio quality wise but it puts out a max of two watts so there is no 38 miles range unless you are on a mountain top and that is so unlikely. The X-TALKER is convenient with USB charging and having a more powerful rechargeable battery. The SUB charges MAX at 5.1volts and the GXT1000 IS 6 VOLTS. Both are great radios. If you want performance and distance, choose the GXT model and if you want convenience, choose the X TALKER at 2 watts. Just my opinion as I own both and gave the X TALKER to my grandson.

• @donalderickson-si8ww
      @donalderickson-si8ww 2 місяці тому

o grass hopper you will learn G M R S will do 36 miles all day every day becouse you set your radio to a G M R S tower and there you go 36 miles BUT with a license for it
      your police and fire do the same with there radio's and before you say something this I know as I Owen and operate a G M R S station W R X N 824

• @bluetech7753
    @bluetech7753 3 роки тому

Hello there this is an awesome review I'm looking into getting some two-way radios I did have some Midland radios couple years ago I bought them at RadioShack. Yep that just goes to show how long it's been of course Radio Shack is no longer around. The ones that I did have were also FR-S and gmrs. However they did not have the weather band that's another feature that I'm looking for. I also like the smaller colored ones but I would assume the range is a lot shorter with those I did click your link and they are marketed more towards kids so I'm sure the quality on those is not as good. You mentioned the VOX feature. Here's a tip for anyone using this feature for automatic transmitting before you say anything try making a simple sound like haha I know this sounds silly but it's just so you could queue up the radio and then start talking this way none of your conversation is cut out. If you really feel silly just making random sounds just activate the radio you can start with a simple word that's not going to be relevant to the conversation. You can start by just saying the person's name chances are it won't be transmitted right away. Or you can say something like breaker breaker. Even if you're not on a CB radio all you really want to do is just trigger the radio.

• @eileenclarke6987
    @eileenclarke6987 4 роки тому

Great review, I only use Midland radios!

• @bluetech7753

Midland radios are very good quality I had Midland radios many years ago back in the late 90's to early 2000s I bought them at RadioShack. Sadly Radio Shack is not around anymore. But they lasted me a long time and offered good range and clarity they finally gave out and I just never bought any for a long time I'm in the market for a new radios now again. I'm also considering on getting my gmrs license so that I can be able to use both bands.

• @bluetech7753

I will use other brands of radios as well I've never owned Motorola walkie talkies but I've had a friend that had some and I've used them. However if I had to say which ones were better I would say the Midland. Of course there's also the Cobra brand which is also very highly rated but I feel that the Midland radios aren't just as good but not as expensive Cobra radios can really cost you their way up there and price.

• @TheChico868
    @TheChico868 4 роки тому

Forgot to mention thanks for the review. Have not seen much people go in dept with these models.

• @dimae6542
    @dimae6542 3 роки тому +1

i vote for the motion

• @phillymetalhead
    @phillymetalhead 3 роки тому

To a person who is total amature to hand held radio technology (outside of cb radios), what would be the best way to setup the T20s in a dense indoor environment with a high probability of other radios being in the area? Not looking for "privacy" so to speak, only looking to avoid as much cross-talk as possible. Ultimately would want those 4 radios to be exclusive to one another. Is that possible through a basic system such as these? Thanks!

• @donalderickson-si8ww
      @donalderickson-si8ww 3 місяці тому

set up your radio's with the same code everyone will be able to hear you but not talk.

• @duongly
    @duongly 3 роки тому

Great overview! The Midland T290 are rated 3 watts on GMRS. If I use the FRS channels, will it be less than 2 watts? The reason is that I live in Canada. Thanks!

• @donalderickson-si8ww

G M R S radios are rated at 5watts here in the usa with a license and frs is 2 watts and two
      miles or line of site and a license is needed here in the us

• @RKingis
      @RKingis Місяць тому

FRS is all 22 channels now in America, however the FCC did keep 9-14 at half a watt.

• @spirituallugo9486
    @spirituallugo9486 3 роки тому

Yes I have a question, do these have any other specific Future's besides the weather channels?

• @TheChico868
    @TheChico868 4 роки тому +1

T290 is 2.8 watts output. Pretty decent. Wonder when they are going to make a proper 5watt version. I read the gxt1000 isn't even a 5watt radio.

• @donalderickson-si8ww

I bought 5 watt radios in 2024 and I bought a 45watt side kick base unit with license

• @jay-rus4437
    @jay-rus4437 4 роки тому

So since the fcc now says that frs/gmrs radios cannot be sold anymore, why arent we seeing frs radios with non-removable antennas and lower power, and also then seeing gmrs radios with removable antennas and higher power?
    Im new to all of this but cannot seem to find a gmrs radio with removable antennas and additional scanning (receiving only) capabilities for emergency and weather frequencies

• @clydeosterhout1221
      @clydeosterhout1221 3 роки тому

The whole FRS/GMRS thing is confusing. While the FCC did ban FRS/GMRS combo radios, they actually merely redefined them. Current FRS and GMRS radios share all of the same basic frequencies (except for channels 23-30. Those are GMRS frequencies for repeaters). Thus GMRS radios and FRS radios can communicate legally and seamlessly with each other. The FRS radios can now communicate on all of the channels without a GMRS license (something most people were doing anyway). The new ability of FRS radios to broadcast on most of the channels at 2 watts makes them far more viable as a means of communication, as the old 1/2 watt restriction really limited their utility.

• @jay-rus4437
      @jay-rus4437 3 роки тому +1

Clyde Osterhout ....I ended up just getting my Tech license, and ultimately upgraded to General and then Extra. Decided that the additional power options was worth the effort in taking the exams

• @donalderickson-si8ww

sorry you are wrong f r s is 1 through 22 G M R S is channel 15 through 21
      thay are the repeter channels on my radio

• @donalderickson-si8ww

the antenna's are fixed thay DO NOT come off for eather under F c c rules f r s is 2 watts
      G M R S is 5 watts hand held and my base comes in a 45 watts with license call sign
      35.00 dollars donation to the F C C

• @mrriley8251
    @mrriley8251 3 роки тому

What is the true range of the T20? On the box it says 16 miles but i find that hard to believe at this price point!

• @DanDrolett
      @DanDrolett 3 роки тому +1

From what I understand 16 miles would be the maximum tested range under ideal conditions. Ideal would be flat, even terrain with no obstructions (trees, hills, buildings, etc), taking into account optimal atmospheric conditions (clear skies, minimal cloud cover and little to no wind). Range is considerably less in areas with foliage, structures or uneven terrain. Midland states on their website that average range for a 500-milliwatt FRS transciever under typical (non-optimal) conditions is half a mile or less.

• @donalderickson-si8ww

F R S radio's are rated at 2 miles line of site in 2024 g m r s is 5 watt hand held and
      I run a 45 watt base with license revived last year for 10 years and a 35.00 donasion
      to the F C C.

• @craverman55
    @craverman55 4 роки тому

What distance do the FMS type radios have ?

• @DanDrolett
      @DanDrolett 3 роки тому

A 500-milliwatt (.5-watt) FRS transceiver will get about a half to one mile under normal conditions. A 2-watt transceiver may increase the range somewhat, but don't expect a big difference. Terrain, elevation and antenna quality do more for range than output wattage.

• @donalderickson-si8ww

that is F R S 2 miles or line of site be course my hand held's are

• @usmcbr13
    @usmcbr13 3 роки тому

I just bought a pair, looking at the manual of the T70, channel 30 is GRMS ch21 @ 462.7 MHz. Per 47 C.F.R, Part 95 Subpart E, 462 ~ 467 MHz require a license. I checked all preset ch 23 ~ 36, they all run over 462 MHz. Don't take my word for it, This is how I understand it. Please let me know if I am wrong.

• @donalderickson-si8ww

G M R S USA is 8 repeter channels and 22 on the F R S side

• @donalderickson-si8ww

you fockes share some channels with us.

• @donalderickson-si8ww

o grass hopper you will learn ON G M R S we run channels 15th through 22 and require a license channels 23 through 36 do not appear on my radio I run 3 =5 watt hand held's with a 45 watt base with a 20 range know you know the real story as I am W R X N 824 call sign

• @RKingis
      @RKingis Місяць тому

In 2017, the FRS was changed to 22 channels, with upto 2watts on 1-7+15-22.

• @paherbst524
    @paherbst524 4 роки тому

whats the difference between the t290's and the gtx1000's?

• @TheChico868
      @TheChico868 4 роки тому

They both put out 2.8 watts. The t290 is newer and more compact. They would perform the same.

• @donalderickson-si8ww

who came up with 2. 8 on my radio i t is 2 watts out put

• @raymondverheeck320
    @raymondverheeck320 3 роки тому

Or the t290 radios able to be programmed to use a repeater?

• @donalderickson-si8ww

what is at 290 if you have a FRS gmrs radio yes you need to put in the IP code
      look up gmrs repeter's near you and look up the three digit code like this one 143.14
      that is the tone for the repeter.

• @donalderickson-si8ww

I F there F R S G M R S the answer is yes t 2090 through me.

• @RKingis
      @RKingis Місяць тому

No! The new GXT3000 will do repeaters.

• @onthecheap6292
    @onthecheap6292 4 роки тому

i had gmrs radios we all went to the trail I could not talk to any body or hear anybody I guess if everybody had gmrs radio it would work, I could talk to my self though because I had two

• @o3djeeps
      @o3djeeps  4 роки тому +2

Ha.. yeah, step one is to make sure the people you are hanging with have the same type of comms.... :-)

• @donalderickson-si8ww

set all your radios ton the same channels then thay will work.

• @donalderickson-si8ww

you need set your radio to work on a tower as is out of the box G M R S will not work.

• @realbob6669
    @realbob6669 4 роки тому

Are you aware of any of them can also have CB channels?

• @donalderickson-si8ww
      @donalderickson-si8ww 3 місяці тому +1

the answer NO you need to buy a 59.95 dollar c b family service is u h f you can only talk to other
      F R S radio's

• @melzeydan6501
    @melzeydan6501 3 роки тому

It’s by you on channel 30 or 21 it will make noise on 1

• @donalderickson-si8ww

by the way your last two requier a license for g m r s family service is no license

• @MuleShark
    @MuleShark 3 роки тому +2

Uh ummm aahhh
    Ummmm. Uhhhhhj aahhhhhh
    Eeee-uuhhhhh ummmmm.
    Shit man!

• @aquimandoyoypunto21
    @aquimandoyoypunto21 4 роки тому

Esas radios no valen una punta mierda

• @1Dogsoldier4life
    @1Dogsoldier4life 3 роки тому

Had to stop watching, you said "uhm" approximately 62 times in 5 mins.....distracting!

• @donalderickson-si8ww

in all of these channels I have watched the narrator never gets it right becouse he did not sit down and read the book cover to cover by the way I looked over each radio on here
      and decided to not buy any of them becouse there is no tec to call SO I went with rugged radio
      thay have everything you need and I have a base station that would go in a four wheller
      I went for that it' a 45 watt car unit on a base with power supply G M R S and my H T's
      are 5 and 2watts with no extra buttons and thay all work well