Transformers, explained: Understand the model behind GPT, BERT, and T5

Поділитися
Вставка
  • Опубліковано 1 тра 2024
  • Dale’s Blog → goo.gle/3xOeWoK
    Classify text with BERT → goo.gle/3AUB431
    Over the past five years, Transformers, a neural network architecture, have completely transformed state-of-the-art natural language processing. Want to translate text with machine learning? Curious how an ML model could write a poem or an op ed? Transformers can do it all. In this episode of Making with ML, Dale Markowitz explains what transformers are, how they work, and why they’re so impactful. Watch to learn how you can start using transformers in your app!
    Chapters:
    0:00 - Intro
    0:51 - What are transformers?
    3:18 - How do transformers work?
    7:41 - How are transformers used?
    8:35 - Getting started with transformers
    Watch more episodes of Making with Machine Learning → goo.gle/2YysJRY
    Subscribe to Google Cloud Tech → goo.gle/GoogleCloudTech
    #MakingwithMachineLearning #MakingwithML
    product: Cloud - General; fullname: Dale Markowitz; re_ty: Publish;
  • Наука та технологія

КОМЕНТАРІ • 350

• @Omikoshi78
    @Omikoshi78 Рік тому +62

Ability to break down complex topic is such an underrated super power. Amazing job.

• @robchr
    @robchr 2 роки тому +218

Transformers! More than meets the eye.

• @suomynona7261
      @suomynona7261 Рік тому +3

😂

• @Marcoose81
      @Marcoose81 Рік тому +8

Transformers! Robots in disguise!

• @DomIstKrieg
      @DomIstKrieg Рік тому +3

Autobots wage their battle to fight the evil forces of the Decepticons!!!!!

• @mieguishen
      @mieguishen Рік тому +1

Transformers! No money to buy…

• @05012215
      @05012215 11 місяців тому

Oczywiście

• @rohanchess8332
    @rohanchess8332 10 місяців тому +43

How did you condense so many pieces of information in such a short time? This video is on a next level, I loved it!

• @dpj670
    @dpj670 Рік тому +9

This is awesome. This has been one of the best overall breakdowns I've found. Thank you!!

• @trushatalati5596
    @trushatalati5596 Рік тому +7

This is a really awesome video! Thank you so much for simplyifying the concepts.

• @tongluo9860
    @tongluo9860 Рік тому +219

Great explanation of the key concept of position encoding and self attention. Amazing you get the gist covered in less than 10 minutes.

• @patpearce8221
      @patpearce8221 Рік тому +1

@Dino Sauro tell me more...

• @patpearce8221
      @patpearce8221 Рік тому

@Dino Sauro thanks for the heads up

• @an-dr6eu
      @an-dr6eu Рік тому +3

She has one of the wealthiest company on earth providing her resources. First hand access to engineers, researchers, top notch communicators and marketing employees.

• @michaellavelle7354
      @michaellavelle7354 11 місяців тому +2

@@an-dr6eu True, but this young lady talks a mile-a-minute from memory. She's knows it cold regardless of the resources at Google.

• @dylan_curious
    @dylan_curious Рік тому +16

This is such an informative video about transformers in machine learning! It's amazing how a type of neural network architecture can do so much, from translating text to generating computer code. I appreciate the clear explanations of the challenges with using recurrent neural networks for language analysis, and how transformers have overcome these limitations through innovations like positional encodings and self-attention. It's also fascinating to hear about BERT, a popular transformer-based model that has become a versatile tool for natural language processing in many different applications. The tips on where to find pertrained transformer models and the popular transformers Python library are super helpful for anyone looking to start using transformers in their own app. Thanks for sharing this video!

• @PaperTools
    @PaperTools Рік тому +27

Dale you are so good at explaining this tech, thank you!

• @rajqsl5525
    @rajqsl5525 4 місяці тому +2

You have the gift of making things simple to understand. Keep up the good work 🙏

• @luis96xd
    @luis96xd Рік тому +5

Amazing video! Nice explanation and examples 😄👍
    I would like to see more videos like this and practices ones

• @reddyvarinaresh7924
    @reddyvarinaresh7924 2 роки тому +5

I loved it and very simple ,clear explanation.

• @Jewish5783
    @Jewish5783 Рік тому +1

i really enjoyed the concepts you explained. simple to understand

• @shravanacharya4376
    @shravanacharya4376 2 роки тому +2

So easy and clear to understand. Thanks

• @erikengheim1106
    @erikengheim1106 2 місяці тому +1

Thanks you did a great job. I spent some time already looking at different videos to capture the high level idea of what transformers are about and yours is the clearest explanation. I actually do have an educational background in neutral networks but don't go around remembering every details or the state of the art today so somebody removing all the unessesary technical details like you did here is very useful.

• @noureldinosamas2978
    @noureldinosamas2978 Рік тому +166

Amazing video! 🎉 You explained that difficult concepts of Transformers so clearly and made it easy to understand. Thanks for all your hard work!🙌👍

• @pumbo_nv
      @pumbo_nv 9 місяців тому +4

Are you serious? The concepts were not really explained. Just a summary of what they do but not how they work behind the scenes.

• @axscs1178
      @axscs1178 3 місяці тому

No.

• @maayansharon280
    @maayansharon280 Рік тому +21

This is a GREAT explanation! please lower the background music next time it could really help. thanks again! awesome video

• @user-wr4yl7tx3w
    @user-wr4yl7tx3w Рік тому +4

Wow, this is so well explained.

• @bondsmagi
    @bondsmagi 2 роки тому +68

Love how you simplified it. Thank you

• @luxraider5384
      @luxraider5384 Рік тому

It s so simplified that you can t understand anything

• @TallesAiran
    @TallesAiran Рік тому +6

I love how to simplify something so complex, thank you so much Dale, the explanation was perfect

• @decepticon-barricade934
      @decepticon-barricade934 Рік тому

how did you do that

• @nahiyanalamgir7056
      @nahiyanalamgir7056 Рік тому

@@decepticon-barricade934 This one? Just type ":" (colon) followed by "thanksdoc" and end it with another colon. I can add other emojis like 🤟too!

@decepticon-barricade934 Рік тому

@@nahiyanalamgir7056 it needs desktop UA-cam i think

• @nahiyanalamgir7056
      @nahiyanalamgir7056 Рік тому

@@decepticon-barricade934 Apparently, it does. When will these apps be consistent across devices and platforms?

@decepticon-barricade934 Рік тому +1

@@nahiyanalamgir7056 thanks though

• @mfatal
    @mfatal Рік тому +4

Love the content and thanks for the great video! (one thing that might help is lower the background music a bit, I found myself stopping the video because I thought another app was playing music)

• @todayu
    @todayu Рік тому +1

This was a really, really awesome breakdown 👏🏾

• @CarlosRodriguez-mv8qi
    @CarlosRodriguez-mv8qi Рік тому +4

Charm, intelligence and clarity! Thanks!

• @touchwithbabu
    @touchwithbabu Рік тому

Fantastic!. Thanks for simplifying the concept

• @rembautimes8808
    @rembautimes8808 2 місяці тому

This is a very well produced video. Credits to the presenter and those involved in production with the graphics

• @SeanTechStories
    @SeanTechStories Рік тому +1

That's a really good high-level explanation!

• @junepark1003
    @junepark1003 4 місяці тому

This is one of the best vids I've watched on this topic!

• @harshadfx
    @harshadfx 8 місяців тому +1

I have more respect for Google after watching this Video. Not only did they provided their engineers with the funding to research, but they also let other companies like OpenAI to use said research. And they are opening up the knowledge for the general public with these video series.

• @bingochipspass08
    @bingochipspass08 2 роки тому

Very well explained.. This really is a high level view of what Transformers are, but it's probably enough to just get your toes wet in the field!

• @JohnCorrUK
    @JohnCorrUK Рік тому +1

Excellent presentation and explanation of concepts

• @Daniel-iy1ed
    @Daniel-iy1ed Рік тому

Thank you so much. I really needed this video, other videos were just confusing

• @shailendraburman
    @shailendraburman 2 роки тому +1

Simply loved it!

• @akashrawat217
    @akashrawat217 Рік тому

Such a simple yet revolutionary 💡idea

• @MaxKar97
    @MaxKar97 21 день тому

Nice amount of info parted in this video. Very clear info on what Transformers are and what made them so great.

• @josedamiansanchez9874
    @josedamiansanchez9874 Рік тому

Amazing explanation!

• @JayantKochhar
    @JayantKochhar Рік тому

Positional Encoding, Attention and Self Attention. That's it! Really well summarized.

• @walterppk1989
    @walterppk1989 2 роки тому +21

Hi Google! First of all, thank you for this wonderful video. I'm working on a multiclass (single label) supervised learning that uses Bert for transfer learning. I've got about 10 classes and a couple hundred thousand examples. Any tips on best practices (which Bert variants to use, what order of magnitude of dropout to use if any)? I know I could do hyperparameter search but that'd probably cost more time and money than I'm comfortable with (for a prototype), so I'm looking to make the most out of my local Nvidia 3080.

• @sorbethyena3828
    @sorbethyena3828 2 роки тому +2

Informative! Thank you

• @danielchen2616
    @danielchen2616 Рік тому

Thanks for your hard work.This video is very helpful!!!

• @DeanRGAnderson
    @DeanRGAnderson Рік тому +1

This is an excellent video introduction for transformers.

• @bobdillan5761
    @bobdillan5761 Рік тому +1

super well done. Thanks for this!

• @NicolasHart
    @NicolasHart 3 місяці тому

so super helpful for my thesis, thank u

• @hallucinogen22
    @hallucinogen22 3 місяці тому

thank you! I'm just starting to learn about gpt and this was quite helpful, though I will have to watch it again :)

• @barbara1943
    @barbara1943 4 місяці тому

Very interesting, informative, this added perspective to a hyped-up landscape. I'll admit, I'm new to this, but when I hear "pretrained transformer" I didn't even think about BERT. I appreciate getting the view from 10,000 feet.

• @jokeysmurf123
    @jokeysmurf123 Місяць тому

wow, what a great summary! thanks!!!

• @labsanta
    @labsanta Рік тому +48

Takeaways:
    A transformer is a type of neural network architecture that is used in natural language processing. Unlike recurrent neural networks (RNNs), which analyze language by processing words one at a time in sequential order, transformers use a combination of positional encodings, attention, and self-attention to efficiently process and analyze large sequences of text.
    Neural networks, Convolutional neural networks (for image analysis), Recurrent neural networks (RNNs), Positional encodings, Attention, Self-attention
    Neural networks: A type of model used for analyzing complicated data, such as images, videos, audio, and text.
    Convolutional neural networks: A type of neural network designed for image analysis.
    Recurrent neural networks (RNNs): A type of neural network used for text analysis that processes words one at a time in sequential order.
    Positional encodings: A method of storing information about word order in the data itself, rather than in the structure of the network.
    Attention: A mechanism used in neural networks to selectively focus on parts of the input.
    Self-attention: A type of attention mechanism that allows the network to focus on different parts of the input simultaneously.
    Neural networks are like a computerized version of a human brain, that uses algorithms to analyze complex data.
    Convolutional neural networks are used for tasks like identifying objects in photos, similar to how a human brain processes vision.
    Recurrent neural networks are used for text analysis, and are like a machine trying to understand the meaning of a sentence in the same order as a human would.
    Positional encodings are like adding a number to each word in a sentence to remember its order, like indexing a book.
    Attention is like a spotlight that focuses on specific parts of the input, like a person paying attention to certain details in a conversation.
    Self-attention is like being able to pay attention to multiple parts of the input at the same time, like listening to multiple conversations at once.

• @an-dr6eu
      @an-dr6eu Рік тому

Great, you learned how to copy paste

• @yumyum_99
      @yumyum_99 Рік тому +10

@@an-dr6eu first step on becoming a programmer

• @JohnCorrUK
      @JohnCorrUK Рік тому +3

​@@an-dr6eu your comment comes over somewhat 'catty' 😢

• @ganbade200
    @ganbade200 2 роки тому +6

You have no idea how much time I potentially have saved just by reading your blog and watching this video to get me up to speed quickly on this. "Liked" this video. Thanks

• @ZeeshanAli-ck3ue
    @ZeeshanAli-ck3ue Рік тому

very well explained.👍

• @ayo4757
    @ayo4757 Рік тому +1

Soo cool! Great work

• @zacharythomas5046
    @zacharythomas5046 Рік тому

Thanks! This is a great intro video!

• @EranM
    @EranM Рік тому +4

I knew little on transformers before this video. I know little on transformers after this video. But I guess in order to know some, we'll need a 2-3 hours video.

• @sun-ship
    @sun-ship Місяць тому

Easiest to understand explaination ive heard so far

• @shivangsharma599
    @shivangsharma599 Рік тому

Super Explanation!!

• @anshulchaurasia8762
    @anshulchaurasia8762 Рік тому

Simplest Explanation ever

• @VaibhavPatil-rx7pc
    @VaibhavPatil-rx7pc Рік тому

Excellent explanation i ever seen, recommending everyone's this link

• @hom01
    @hom01 Рік тому

this is brilliant

• @RobShuttleworth
    @RobShuttleworth 2 роки тому +9

The visuals are very helpful. Thanks.

• @probablygrady
    @probablygrady 11 місяців тому

phenomenal video

• @theguythatcoment
    @theguythatcoment Рік тому +2

do transformers learn the internal representation one language at a time or all of them at the same time? I remember that Chomsky said that there's no underlying structure to language and that for every rule you try to make you'll always find an edge case that contradicts the rule.

• @myt97
    @myt97 Рік тому

Great video. Thank you!

• @arpitrawat1203
    @arpitrawat1203 2 роки тому +6

Very well explained. Thank you.

• @xiongjiedai8405
    @xiongjiedai8405 Рік тому

Very good lecture, thanks!

• @Mariouigi
    @Mariouigi Рік тому

crazy how things have changed so much

• @WalterReade
    @WalterReade 2 роки тому +4

Nicely done. Very helpful. Thanks!

• @GubeTube19
    @GubeTube19 Рік тому

10/10. Very helpful

• @badrinair
    @badrinair Рік тому

Thank you for sharing

• @mohankiranp
    @mohankiranp 7 місяців тому

Very well explained. This video is must watch for anyone who wants to demystify the latest LLM technology. Wondering if this could be made into a more generic video with a quick high-level intro on neural networks for those who aren't in the field. I bet there are millions out there who want to get a basic understanding of how ChatGPT/Bard/Claude work without an in-depth technical deep dive.

• @amimegh
    @amimegh Рік тому

NICE SUPERB PRESENTATION

• @user-or7ji5hv8y
    @user-or7ji5hv8y 2 роки тому +2

Great video.

• @gammacubed
    @gammacubed 4 місяці тому

Amazing video, thank you so much!

• @maxkhan4485
    @maxkhan4485 Рік тому

Thanks! Great video.

• @rodeoswing
    @rodeoswing 6 місяців тому +1

Great video for people who are curious but don’t really want to (or can’t) understand how transformers actually work.

• @JG27Korny
    @JG27Korny 4 місяці тому

Very informative video. Thank you!

• @janeerin6918
    @janeerin6918 6 місяців тому +1

OMG the BEST transformers video EVER!

• @gerardovalencia805
    @gerardovalencia805 2 роки тому +2

Thank you

• @massimobuonaiuto8753
    @massimobuonaiuto8753 Рік тому

great video, thanks!

• @KulbirAhluwalia
    @KulbirAhluwalia Рік тому +3

From 5:28, shouldn't it be the following:
    "when the model outputs the word “économique,” it’s attending heavily to both the input words “European” and “Economic.” "?
    For européenne, I see that it is attending only to European. Please let me know if I am missing something here. Thanks for the great video.

• @Christakxst
    @Christakxst Рік тому

Thanks, that was very interesting

• @EduardoOviedoBlanco
    @EduardoOviedoBlanco Рік тому

Great content 👍

• @takeizy
    @takeizy Рік тому

Very impressive video. Thanks for the way you shared information via this video.
    Reference your video timeline 05:05, how you created such a video, please.

• @cassianocominetti7784
    @cassianocominetti7784 3 місяці тому

Amazing!

• @directorblue
    @directorblue Рік тому

Well done

• @MichaelToop
    @MichaelToop Рік тому

Great video. Thx.

• @hughesadam87
    @hughesadam87 Рік тому

Thank you!

• @aGj2fiebP3ekso7wQpnd1Lhd
    @aGj2fiebP3ekso7wQpnd1Lhd Рік тому

Fantastic video

• @wiclcoocoo
    @wiclcoocoo 29 днів тому

a very nice video. thanks

• @robertabitbol6454
    @robertabitbol6454 Рік тому +1

You have actually given the BEST explanation on Neural Machine Translation that I read so far but you are missing a few elements

• @robertabitbol6454
      @robertabitbol6454 Рік тому +1

But your explanations, your analyses and your delivery are excellent. You're definitely a great communicator and teacher.

• @robertabitbol6454
      @robertabitbol6454 Рік тому

Actually Google and others have an algo they're not interested in sharing and I pretty much know what it is. I am working with my programmer on the coding of my new app, the revolutionary Universal Sentence builder and the Universal Dictionary and I keep adding and changing stuff to simplify the concept and I push at a later date the programming of my Sentence Analyser app. It is like most of my apps a simple (and brilliant concept) coded with very few lines of code.

• @robertabitbol6454

You know Alfred Hitchcock was always adapting into the screen his scenario never changing anything not even a comma while Francis Ford Copolla (The Godfather) was doing the opposite: They say that his script was like a newspaper that had new contents every day. Well I am more like Copolla with my apps. I change stuff all the time and I usually make my programmers go crazy. It's a good sign. :-) Mind you I don't know if one can do like Hitchcock with an app. Come up with a definite version once and for all. This would be quite an achievement!

• @robertabitbol6454

In the case of my Universal Sentence builder, the main task was to process the data entered by the user and we've been at it since July 2022. :-) It's either I am dumb or it is a complex task. Actually it is the latter for I have started with French, this langage being the most complex in the world. The good news is I am sure I will be imitated but you can rest assured that my imitators will also have a jolly hard time with French :-)

• @RonaldMorrissetteJr
    @RonaldMorrissetteJr 11 місяців тому +1

When I saw this title, I was hoping to better understand the mathematical workings of transformers such as matrices and the like. Maybe you could do a follow-up video explaining mathematically how transformers work.
    thank you for your time

• @ansumansamal3767
    @ansumansamal3767 2 роки тому +208

Where is optimus prime?

• @TechNewsReviews
    @TechNewsReviews 7 місяців тому

woww, she's good at explaining things

• @samsont81
    @samsont81 Рік тому

You are amazing!

• @JosephHenzi
    @JosephHenzi Рік тому +2

I'll jump on where others are doing the same - would love advice for someone who understands half the concepts that are alluded to as complex naturally and the innovation feels obvious I'm unsure how to break into the space without some guidance or connection between having exactly that great natural grasp but wildly anxious that language and logic are strengths and math is a mental turn off. For someone needing that type of translation/guide where my approach is language usage & finer cues what is the key terms to get to that understanding? Hate being fascinated and all the tools to play in this space and being unable to start because how I approach topics so welcome any advice.

• @meepk633
      @meepk633 Рік тому

Just go to school.

• @AleksandarKamburov
    @AleksandarKamburov Рік тому

Positional encoding = time, attention = context, self attention = thumbprint (knowledge)... looks like a good start for AGI 😀

• @intekhabsayed4316
    @intekhabsayed4316 Місяць тому

Good(Pro) Explanation.

• @amortalbeing
    @amortalbeing 6 місяців тому

Thanks a lot.

• @tusharjamwal
    @tusharjamwal 10 місяців тому

How did you sync your talking cadence to the background music?

• @user-wr4yl7tx3w
    @user-wr4yl7tx3w Рік тому

be interested to see a video on transformers on time series data.

• @gmarziou
    @gmarziou Рік тому +5

Please remove background music, it's really disturbing when you only listen to this otherwise great video

• @ludologian
    @ludologian 11 місяців тому

When I was a kid, I knew the trouble of translation were due to literally translation words, without contextual/ sequential awareness. I knew it's important to distinguish between synonyms. I've imagined there's a button that generate the translation output then you can highlights the you words that doesn't make sense or want improvement on it . then regenerate text translation. this type of nlp probably exist before I program my first hello world (+15y ago)!

• @stephenrodwell
    @stephenrodwell Рік тому

Thanks!

• @sathyamanikantabk4483
    @sathyamanikantabk4483 Рік тому

great video