Building A Steam Locomotive: PRR T1 5550

Поділитися
Вставка
  • Опубліковано 14 жов 2024
  • HELP THE T1 TRUST: prrt1steamloco...
    Thousands of different types or classes of locomotives were built during the steam era on America's railroads. However, only some classes survived into preservation, with the vast majority being scrapped. The Pennsylvania Railroad T1 was one of the more interesting locomotive classes that was not saved. These were unique duplex locomotives, built for fast passenger service in the mid 1940s. In 2013, a group by the name of the T1 Trust was formed with the goal of brining the T1 back to life by building a brand new locomotive from the ground up, one piece at a time. I had the opportunity to talk with four of the members of the Trust about this exciting project, the history of the original T1 locomotives, as well as what the future will bring for this groundbreaking project.
    CoasterFan2105 is the home of all sorts of train and railroad related video content. Stop by every Friday at 9 AM Pacific time for an all new railroading adventure and be sure to check out all of my social media pages @coasterfan2105 for even more great railroad content. Thanks, and I'll see you down the line!

КОМЕНТАРІ • 720

• @CoasterFan2105
    @CoasterFan2105  2 роки тому +172

Hey everyone, thanks for watching this video about the T1 Trust! If you'd like to learn more about the Trust, or enter for a chance at a free Founders Club membership, check out the link below:
    prrt1steamlocomotivetrust.org/enter-to-win

• @jeremykuehn1027
      @jeremykuehn1027 2 роки тому

Nice

• @edenreyes4747
      @edenreyes4747 2 роки тому +2

Why not have a race of Millard vs T1

• @opjaiswaljaiswal4905
      @opjaiswaljaiswal4905 2 роки тому

Ki o iupuoi
      O

• @matthewpastrikos7383
      @matthewpastrikos7383 2 роки тому +3

It's kinda sad that the T1 trust didn't reach their goal to reach $150,000 by November 1, 2021. Doesn't anyone want this class to be brought back from extinction like at all?

• @RishantYT747fan
      @RishantYT747fan 2 роки тому +3

Hope it gets finished by next year I wanna ride it very hard !!!!

• @TrainGuru
    @TrainGuru 2 роки тому +277

With great power comes great responsibility. And I have to say Mike, it’s fantastic and so great that you’re using your influence on the railroading world and bringing awareness to these preservation groups. Railroad preservation is criminally underrated and it is so great that there are so many of these projects happening around the country to just keep these Iron horses going.

• @CoasterFan2105
      @CoasterFan2105  2 роки тому +17

Thanks so much! I'm happy to bring awareness to important preservation projects.

• @nolantherailfan5048
      @nolantherailfan5048 2 роки тому

@@CoasterFan2105 I saw an old tender from a T1 will it be used on 5550?

• @JerryWick
      @JerryWick 2 роки тому

@@nolantherailfan5048 close. It is from a Pennsy J1. Same Long Haul tender as used on the T1. Last of its type. Just need to add streamlining and it is an exact match

• @Chevyguy-1984
    @Chevyguy-1984 2 роки тому +101

I CANNOT wait to see this engine complete! I hope one day a group will come together to build a New York Central hudson too

• @robertschmidt7625
      @robertschmidt7625 2 роки тому +3

I was just thinking the same thing! I think it will happen!

• @JerryWick
      @JerryWick 2 роки тому +13

I agree with you 100%. If we can croubd fund a T1 duplex, a Hudson would be child's play

• @omega1575
      @omega1575 2 роки тому +6

Seeing a Hudson 4-6-4 would be amazing

• @Da1X_Builds
      @Da1X_Builds 2 роки тому +6

With Henry Dreyfus Streamlining!

• @Remibiggestfan
      @Remibiggestfan Рік тому +3

@@Da1X_BuildsAnd Pulling The 20th century limited tourist train with a preserved end car

• @scenariomckinney
    @scenariomckinney 6 місяців тому +6

That is an absolutely beautiful locomotive!! As a train enthusiast and model railroader,this is the first time that I've seen this locomotive. I model UP and Southern, but this is a masterpiece, and I'm glad they are bringing it back to life!!!

• @TranscontinentalRailfan
    @TranscontinentalRailfan 2 роки тому +145

Awesome video! Looking forward to seeing this PRR icon come to life. The new T1 will also look great with K4 1361. The trust has my support.

• @CoasterFan2105
      @CoasterFan2105  2 роки тому +14

Awesome! Thanks so much!

• @brianfalzon6739
      @brianfalzon6739 2 роки тому +2

@@CoasterFan2105 And don’t forget about LIRR 39 too!

• @scootergrant8683
      @scootergrant8683 2 роки тому +2

I hope enough support ensues that they can find a second loco to rebirth. The same group in the U.K is now on to their second with a third planned. The upcoming one is gonna be a beauty.

• @beccajohnson-choma1762
      @beccajohnson-choma1762 Рік тому

how about 2 K4 locomotives? One for the railroad, and one for DOWT.

• @melodymcintyre8896
      @melodymcintyre8896 11 місяців тому

Same here is going to be amazing i can't wait to see it

• @MainlineThruTheRockies
    @MainlineThruTheRockies 2 роки тому +83

This is one of the most unique and interesting lost steam locomotive types, and I’m very glad to see that this is a thing!

• @oriontheraptor8119
    @oriontheraptor8119 2 роки тому +40

Been a long time since I heard anything about 5550
    Good to know it’s still in production it’s also neat they are “modernizing” some parts of the design for modern convenience in maintaining it

• @tpmiranda
    @tpmiranda 2 роки тому +33

I can't believe not a single T1 was preserved!
    Even in my Design History lessons we specifically addressed the T1.
    It's a shame none has been with us since then. Hope the effort reaches a good port.
    Cheers!

• @saaaahduuuuude1228
      @saaaahduuuuude1228 2 роки тому +3

T1 is a gorgeous locomotive but as another student of Design, I find the Dreyfuss Hudson the T1 so often competed against to be far more striking. Well, this inspired me to work my ass off to start a Hudson trust, sadly those were all scraped as well.

• @d.e.b.b5788
      @d.e.b.b5788 2 роки тому +3

It was more important to the PRR brass, that THEY get their nice fat salaries, than to preserve one locomotive. I mean, $30K to scrap each of them? And they couldn't come up with a way to keep one?

• @Romans--bo7br
      @Romans--bo7br 2 роки тому +1

@@d.e.b.b5788.... Well Said!!.... and my thoughts Exactly, for decades.

• @HHopebringer
      @HHopebringer 2 роки тому +1

@@d.e.b.b5788 in the grand American tradition, that brass took their golden parachutes and failed upward. Then Penn Central came along. (Sighs)

• @deloreanman14
    @deloreanman14 2 роки тому +9

As somebody who's been with the Trust since almost the beginning (February, 2014), I want to thank you for shining a light on our cause. It has been astonishing to watch not only 5550 but the support and love for this once nearly forgotten engine grow. Sometimes I have to pinch myself and remind myself that yes, this real and I am a part of it. I don't believe the T1 was a defective design but rather, was the victim of circumstances beyond her control and that she will prove herself once she is given the chance. Thank you again for helping us give her that chance.

• @JackCarsonsRailroadVideos
    @JackCarsonsRailroadVideos 2 роки тому +79

I love it when big channels like Your's brings awareness to preservation groups. Keep up the good work

• @saslovskykoslov
    @saslovskykoslov 2 роки тому +11

seeing a T1 today, rebuilt from the ground up will be amazing to see completed in the future.

• @smitajky
    @smitajky 2 роки тому +7

Here is an example of "Make America Great". When America was innovative and powered by conscientious and skilled workers. I would love to live long enough to see this in operation.

• @CustomiZe_
    @CustomiZe_ 2 роки тому +59

Didn't realise the t1 trust was developed because of the a1 locomotive trust, as a brit that's very heart warming, plus they're on their second loco now P2 Prince of Wales which will be Britain's most powerful steam loco.

• @Leatherface123.
      @Leatherface123. 2 роки тому +7

Maybe when we finish the t1 we can bring back the Dreyfuss Hudson or the Milwaukee Road F7

• @philiphowell1505
      @philiphowell1505 2 роки тому

Are they going to ask the German company J.B Meiningham to build the boiler as they did with Tornado, plus a spare.

• @CustomiZe_
      @CustomiZe_ 2 роки тому +3

@@philiphowell1505 yup the boiler shop in Germany is the only boiler shop left in the world that makes new boilers as far as I know, new one being made for tornado and a new one for Prince of Wales should be coming to the UK during 2022 i believe 😀 👍they might be making spares but i presume they will get the first one to try and fit before they make any spares

• @CassandraPantaristi
      @CassandraPantaristi 2 роки тому

@@Leatherface123. I wanna see the PRR S1 steam locomotive to be brought back.

• @Leatherface123.
      @Leatherface123. 2 роки тому +2

@@CassandraPantaristi that would be really something but it had huge flaws, wheelslip worse than the T1, turning radius, length, it was a nightmare to work on, it was illegally built due to how dummy thicc it was
      The S1 has gotten to me, I’ve been overtaken by it

• @MrMarshmallow26
    @MrMarshmallow26 Рік тому +6

I can't believe I didn't know about this sooner. The T1 is such an amazing locomotive and I would love to see one of these on the tracks. I hope all goes well with this project!

• @coppercruz3605
    @coppercruz3605 2 роки тому +21

Amazing Video:) I didn't know the T1 Trust was building a Pennsylvania T1 steam locomotive, how exciting. Thanks for the video, Mike!!!

• @CoasterFan2105
      @CoasterFan2105  2 роки тому +2

You're very welcome! Thanks for watching!

• @SMTMainline
    @SMTMainline 2 роки тому +3

It's amazing to see something like this actually being built. I find many major railroad creation/restoration projects have a lot of talk but not much action usually due to funding. It would be wonderful to see something like this riding the rails again and it would hopefully encourage people to bring back more famous locomotives which have been lost in time.

• @haraldisdead
    @haraldisdead 2 роки тому +7

I just went and saw the progress today in Harrisburg. It's looking incredible.

• @officialpennsyjoe
    @officialpennsyjoe 2 роки тому +9

You did the right thing here CoasterFan2105. Pennsy fans like me hope that your collab with the T1 trust boosts the completion of this engine!
    Long live Pennsyland!

• @curtisdaniel9294
    @curtisdaniel9294 2 роки тому +7

This is Great! Bringing more Railroad History Back to Life! Thanks to you, Mike, and the T1Trust.

• @Robertmitchell2121
    @Robertmitchell2121 3 місяці тому +3

I cannot wait to see this running on short lines and mainlines!

• @couldyourepeatthat7182
    @couldyourepeatthat7182 2 роки тому +9

We’re gonna wait almost 20 years for this T1 to see life again

• @FQP-7024
    @FQP-7024 2 роки тому +3

This is absolutely legendary, no amount of praise is enough for the team behind this engine

• @jose109able
    @jose109able 2 роки тому +26

It would be awesome if they also build a replica of the iconic 20th Century Limited with the steam locomotive of the Hudson Dreyfus.

• @wordenentertainment1997
      @wordenentertainment1997 Рік тому +3

I wonder if the completion of 5550 will inspire other groups to come together and build a new NYC Hudson. That would be a very ideal locomotive for a new build for a few reasons. It is a proven and simple design overall for a steam excursion engine, its overall historic significance for American railroading, and like the tender for 5550, a former NYC Hudson tender still exists, now a generator car at Steamtown in Scranton, PA. That would be a money saving option for a new build Hudson.

• @stevehessle1959
    @stevehessle1959 2 роки тому +7

Good luck with this project. After the success of A1 Tornado in the UK, we have 70 dead classes under construction including the famous P2 and Clan class among many, many others. We saved over a thousand steam locomotives, bit they are slowly wearing out and every 10 year boiler certificate costsore and more and more.

• @coolleo149
    @coolleo149 2 роки тому +27

Oh my gosh imagine if it started running next year! Awesome video mike!

• @CoasterFan2105
      @CoasterFan2105  2 роки тому +5

Thanks so much!

• @NERRP2017
      @NERRP2017 2 роки тому +2

it’s not supposed to be finished until 2023 but they could be done with it by early 2022 but it’s gonna be a wait and see

• @thehigsy
      @thehigsy 2 роки тому +2

I think you misheard the completion date , its later this decade or early next decade, so its possible it won't be till 2030

• @d.e.b.b5788
      @d.e.b.b5788 2 роки тому

@@thehigsy As always, it depends on the money. Projects can be done fast, good, cheap. Pick any two!

• @jeffreyrule8143
    @jeffreyrule8143 2 роки тому +8

Thanks Mike for this wonderful video. I am un boxing and running my HO T1 Duplex today. I will be making a donation to the trust. Keep up the great work.

• @CoasterFan2105
      @CoasterFan2105  2 роки тому

Thanks so much, Jeffrey. Much appreciated.

• @nileadam7336
    @nileadam7336 2 роки тому +6

5550 is the William Afton of the Pennsylvania Railroad, it always come back.

• @Posttrip
    @Posttrip 10 місяців тому +1

It makes the mouth water! And, to think of the mechanical process in motion as this locomotive EXCEEDED 140mph!!! Can’t even imagine how steam could even move that rapidly from one side of the piston to the other to keep it all going.
    After this is completed, my appetite is wetted to see the ACE 3000 project revived!

• @ROCKETRICKYH
    @ROCKETRICKYH 2 роки тому +4

Godspeed to the T1 Trust. Absolutely marvellous.

• @larryhall882
    @larryhall882 2 роки тому +1

Incredibly huge 1st of its kind project.This has got to be a first .A huge thank you for all the tremendous effort to bring the T1 back to life for all to enjoy.

• @rayjordan5935
    @rayjordan5935 2 роки тому +3

I can’t wait to see this locomotive flying down the track!

• @louislamonte334
    @louislamonte334 2 роки тому +1

It will be incredibly fantastic when this locomotive is ready for the rails and I plan to witness it in person when it does! I'll bet this project will be completed before the estimated time! Bravo, gentlemen!!!

• @Strasburg_Railfaner611
    @Strasburg_Railfaner611 2 роки тому +6

Now 3 pennsylvania locomotives are gonna run 643 running currently 1361 currently on restoration and 5550 currently being built

• @LowgaenSchmidt
    @LowgaenSchmidt 2 роки тому +8

Now someone needs to start building a new NYC Hudson. It blows my mind that not a single one of those iconic 200+ Hudsons never made it to preservation

• @BigBerk765
      @BigBerk765 2 роки тому

Dude, I feel you! And the New York Central had a bunch of beautiful steam locomotives that were sadly and unnecessarily scrapped. Like the absolutely stunning 4-8-4 Niagara, 4-8-2 Mohawk, 2-8-2 Light Mikados and hundreds of gorgeous engines the NYC had. I’d love to see a new Niagara built! It’s regarded as one of the best, most powerful and most efficient 4-8-4 Nothern type steam engines ever made.

• @BenRichards227
      @BenRichards227 2 роки тому

@@BigBerk765 I don't disagree about the Niagara's aesthetic appeal, but UP 844 is still in service and is 95% the same as a Niagara from a technical standpoint. A few cosmetic tweaks would transform it into a satisfactory facsimile, if anyone was so inclined. So nothing really to be gained by building one. Now a Hudson project, THAT I could get behind...

• @BigBerk765
      @BigBerk765 2 роки тому

@@BenRichards227 A lot would be gained from building one. First off, bringing back a lost piece of railroad history. Second, showing off the best and superior 4-8-4 steam locomotive technology in working form. While the FEF might possibly share a lot of the Niagara’s attributes, they’re not exactly the same completely. The Niagara, though similar to the FEF, was still superior to the FEF and multiple other Northern steamers in terms of pulling power, top speed and fuel efficiency. It’s a gorgeous locomotive that shouldn’t have been scrapped and I, for one, would love to see one in person. To have probably the best 4-8-4 steam engine ever built come back would be a treat for any rail fan. Although, I get where you’re coming from. Seeing some locomotives that are most definitely extinct like the 4-6-4 Hudsons or the N&W Y6bs. Those would be great to see get rebuilt as well! One NYC Hudson steamer that’s probably my all time favorite from the railroad was the Dreyfuss Hudson! The passenger steam locomotive with the “Roman Helmet” look on the front. That was a work of art on rails!

• @grahamsawyer831
    @grahamsawyer831 2 роки тому +16

always thought it a shame that none of those amazing streamlined steam loco's are running today. that would really demonstrate how different and striking they were at the time

• @saaaahduuuuude1228
      @saaaahduuuuude1228 2 роки тому +2

That's why I've gone off the model railroading deep end. My streamlined New York Central Hudsons are the pride of my fleet

• @andrewmorrison85
    @andrewmorrison85 2 роки тому +2

How incredible. I’m in awe. If successful, this may pave the way for other projects such as this. How exciting!

• @laurieharper1526
    @laurieharper1526 2 роки тому +1

An exciting project. One of the most technically advanced steam locomotives built. A shame none of the originals were preserved. Good luck from the UK.

• @Realohiorailroadproductions
    @Realohiorailroadproductions 2 роки тому +8

Can’t Wait to see the replica up and running!

• @galahad6334
    @galahad6334 2 роки тому +2

The best of luck! They already build an express locomotive over here in the UK, so you should be able to do so aswell! delighted to see such an amazing project!

• @petergarcia6905
    @petergarcia6905 2 роки тому +7

I personally feel like the engine should be assembled in Juniata shops in altoona

• @chooch1764
      @chooch1764 Рік тому

We’ll know where the locomotive will be assembled when they are ready to bring the frame and boiler together.

• @wjsj69
    @wjsj69 2 роки тому +3

PRR being my favorite RR, this is fantastic! But the bigger crime is that the New York Central did not preserve even one Hudson. Probably the most iconic steamer ever.

• @travislostaglia8861
      @travislostaglia8861 2 роки тому

I think it depends on where you live I’m from a small city that built most of the prr stuff and when we think of steam locomotives nothing from New York central is even on a top ten list

• @wjsj69
      @wjsj69 2 роки тому

@@travislostaglia8861 Would that be Altoona? I grew up near Strasburg, Pa., where the PRR loco collection lives, and I used to have no interest in anything but Pennsy. As I grew older, I learned to appreciate any and all trains. Even European. It's interesting to see how other Roads evolved. My least favorite are USRA designs bc they were standardized for all roads. Kinda how most locos are today; booorrrring.. The difference in designs from one road to another are what made it so interesting.

• @travislostaglia8861
      @travislostaglia8861 2 роки тому +1

@@wjsj69 yes Altoona I actually got to ride on the k4 in 1987 it’s not that I’m putting the Ny central down or anything considering they both ended up the same company for a while I guess it’s just the history of the city and all the amazing locomotives built here I wish they would have saved some of the special ones like the s1 t1 and streamlined k4’s

• @wjsj69
      @wjsj69 2 роки тому +1

@@travislostaglia8861 Super jealous, I hope I live to see the K4 run again! And Altoona is on my bucket list too; I had family from there that worked on the Pennsy and moved to Phila. Great grandfather was a conductor, great uncle was a union rep, Mom worked at 30th st. station, Phila. right before Penn Central merger..

• @Barb5001
    @Barb5001 2 роки тому +3

I am old enough to remember when there were still a few steam locos still in operation. I grew up in a 3 RR town that included the ERIE and O&W RR.
    There is nothing as impressive as a steam loco in operation

• @michaelguy1125
    @michaelguy1125 2 роки тому +4

I wish we could something like this in Wisconsin and build a new Hiawatha steam locomotive.

• @SteamCoal
    @SteamCoal 2 роки тому +3

Грандиозный проект, Пенсильвания Дуплекс, была известна даже в СССР, как яркий пример дизайна.

• @АлександрКалинин-ц6г
    @АлександрКалинин-ц6г 3 місяці тому

Я узнал о T1, когда стал изучать Пенсильванскую железную дорогу. Со временем, приобрёл себе модель масштаба HO. Очень впечатляющий паровоз.
    Удачи вам, ребята. Пусть 5550 покажет себя во всей красе 👍

• @matthewpastrikos7383
    @matthewpastrikos7383 2 роки тому +1

I love to see the PRR 5550 in action, hopefully we'll get to see it visit Strasburg Railroad and meet up with N&W 611 to do a doubleheader one day.

• @railkingsphotography7184
    @railkingsphotography7184 2 роки тому +7

I can’t wait to see a T1 run so I donated $300 to help

• @09JDCTrainMan
    @09JDCTrainMan 2 роки тому +4

I honestly don't care whether 5550 beats Mallard's record or not. If it does, oh well, no sense in whining about it, what's done is done. If it doesn't, then Mallard simply keeps the crown for being officially the world's fastest steam locomotive. 5550 may not be 100% like the original T1s, but she'll will at least be more efficient than them. I'm just happy that the PRR T1 class is being resurrected and I'm looking forward to what she'll be capable of, even if she's an improvement over the original T1s.

• @chaseinit1
      @chaseinit1 2 роки тому

i bet the t1 wont almost destroy itself making that speed run like mallard did
      after the run she had to head to doncaster for repairs

• @kristoffermangila
      @kristoffermangila 6 місяців тому +1

If you believe the stories of those old time Pennsy men, the T1, if not slipping, can run up to 140 mph. They just don't say it out loud, because in those days, it could get you fired, because the old ICC has a speed limit imposition in those days.

• @jacobramsey7624
    @jacobramsey7624 2 роки тому +5

Great video!! I think these people can do it and I am looking forward to seeing it running down the track!! I was watching a video about the NYC Hudson and that none of them were saved. I think that locomotive would be worthy of being brought back from the dead!

• @rayvaul3539
    @rayvaul3539 2 роки тому +1

This video should get more views and this big project should also get as much support as possible.

• @Toaster844
    @Toaster844 2 роки тому +4

Honestly I like how they’re rebuilding the T1 but in my opinion it would’ve been nice to see the PRR J1 come back to life. But I see why the T1 has been chosen

• @WilliamCreator57
    @WilliamCreator57 2 роки тому +1

Great video! 👍🏾I’ve heard about this from a friend of mine a few years ago and I was amazed to see the new T1 is being rebuilt and became impressed by their efforts while working on it. I actually have been inspired by rebuilding a Southern Pacific GS-1 locomotive myself sense they’re not around to this day, I thought I would bring back a Southern Pacific GS-1 just they’re doing with the T1 locomotive.

• @ItKyleBol
    @ItKyleBol Рік тому +6

The Pennsylvania Railroad class T1 class steam locomotive was one of the most unique and controversial classes of locomotives ever constructed.

• @haroldalexis4200
    @haroldalexis4200 2 роки тому

This is great that this is being built / rebuilt. I support this engine 100% Since being a PENN CENTRAL fan after PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD of course I saw a lot of PENNSYLVANIA logos on a lot of there equipment. As a model railroader I approve of this T 1Trust project all the way live! 🚂🚂🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃😃

• @21_Country_Patriot
    @21_Country_Patriot 2 роки тому +3

That is VERY cool! 😎👍 It will, definitely, be very interesting to see, once it’s complete & operational.

• @TheVeryLastOne
    @TheVeryLastOne 2 місяці тому +1

I can't wait to ride this thing when it's finished

• @CassandraPantaristi
    @CassandraPantaristi 2 роки тому +5

I would love to see the Pennsylvania Railroad S1 brought back.

• @voidjavelin23
      @voidjavelin23 11 днів тому

i dont think its possible with its many technical flaws it has, so its better to make it a static

• @Abin_Bhowal
    @Abin_Bhowal 2 роки тому +3

Great Documentary brother. Keep it up.

• @raydunakin
    @raydunakin 2 роки тому +3

Wow, what a cool, amazing project!

• @mesenteria
    @mesenteria 2 роки тому +6

A gentle correction (horsepower claimed at the 2:55 minute mark): as with all modern boilers of the time, with all the efficiency appliances, the T1's boiler produced roughly the same horsepower as did the best Northern type 4-8-4, so that would be upwards of 6000 hp when the pistons were cycling between 4-5 times per second.

• @Romans--bo7br
      @Romans--bo7br 2 роки тому

mesenteria..... Please, tell me which Class 1's in the US, possessed "an upwards of 6000 hp" Northern... I would really like to know the answer to that. Thanks.

• @davefrompa5334
      @davefrompa5334 3 місяці тому

@@Romans--bo7br The Niagaras were at least close to that. That's why they were numbered in the 6,000's.

• @Romans--bo7br
      @Romans--bo7br 3 місяці тому +1

@@davefrompa5334... Dave, Thank you for your reply... I appreciate it. Yes, I had forgotten about the NYC's Niagra's.... Extremely Impressive batch in the "world of Northerns" for sure. I know there numerous drawbar power tests done on them over time with results from the high 5K's to just south of 7K.
      Great locomotives for sure.
      In many ways... wish we could go back to those times... when the USA.... WAS, a great country.

• @brianfalzon6739
    @brianfalzon6739 2 роки тому +2

The new T1 will look awesome for both LIRR 39 and PRR 1361!

• @ronanvave560
      @ronanvave560 2 роки тому +1

I'd like to see 1361 and 5550 doublehead.

• @brianfalzon6739
      @brianfalzon6739 2 роки тому

@@ronanvave560 Don't forget LIRR 39 too.

• @truckrobo147
    @truckrobo147 2 роки тому +3

I'm just gonna say that building engines like this can bring a golden opportunity to bring back other locomotives that the US lost over the years including the gorgeous streamliners...I mean just imagine it. A fleet of streamlined new York central locomotives from the Vanderbilt all the way to the mercury....I hope I'm not the only one here who thinks that stuff like this can be a start for other projects like this....

• @tudrow6087
    @tudrow6087 2 роки тому +2

I will make a donation. I sure hope they go for the speed record. If they put that baby flat out the record she makes will be hard to beat.

• @trainchaserlouisvilleindia7096
    @trainchaserlouisvilleindia7096 2 роки тому +1

I’m happy that they are making this back in our time

• @jerrylarson723
    @jerrylarson723 2 роки тому +2

Wow. Very Amazing and I am so delighted.

• @DevonMopiedmont1143
    @DevonMopiedmont1143 2 роки тому +3

I remember when the T1 was first announced I thought it was a scam then one day a pic came out showing they actually made stuff and my eyes lit up.

• @RimRimando
    @RimRimando 2 роки тому +5

Dude that was mind-blowing to see rare trains!

• @oleglesnoy9171
    @oleglesnoy9171 2 роки тому

It`s really cool, that the group of people is build the huge steam loco, which no one saved to our days

• @RobertCraft-re5sf
    @RobertCraft-re5sf 2 місяці тому

Love that coal smoke. FYI for anyone reading; modern coal powerplants don't make smoke like that. the smoke particles are all removes and then the sulfur is all removed by bubbling it through liquid to make the stuff for drywall. A very valuable byproduct. the flue-gas from modern coal powerplants looks like steam.

• @wisconsincentralrrfan298
    @wisconsincentralrrfan298 2 роки тому +3

Excited to see this steam train back from the dead!

• @railwaysfan92
    @railwaysfan92 2 роки тому +1

Interresting and unbelievable mission!! I hope they would succefully rebuild this iconic steam locomotive!!

• @Spook_Boi
    @Spook_Boi 2 роки тому

i hope they can get her finished. theres a lot of things thatll be difficult like the cylinder saddle but if anyone can do it, those lads would be a good contender to bringing her back to life

• @ctskifreaks
    @ctskifreaks 2 роки тому +1

Having been lucky enough to live close enough to the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania for a few years, I have some very similar pictures of the engines you showed off here. If you're in the area, I recommend the Museum to anyone who has the time.

• @theaustinleeytchanneltalytc
    @theaustinleeytchanneltalytc 2 роки тому +3

Heard about the T1 loco. I'm glad you covered about it!

• @CoasterFan2105
      @CoasterFan2105  2 роки тому

Thanks, Austin!

• @theaustinleeytchanneltalytc
      @theaustinleeytchanneltalytc 2 роки тому +1

@@CoasterFan2105 If the T1 and Tornado were trains to be rebuilt, it would be possible to bring back the L&SBCR E2 a.k.a Thomas.

• @southernpennsyrailfan8579
    @southernpennsyrailfan8579 2 роки тому +2

In early to mid October I made a donation to this project

• @Haya_archive1
    @Haya_archive1 2 роки тому +1

Dang there bringing a prr t1 locomotive back damn

• @Marontyne
    @Marontyne 10 місяців тому +1

I CAN'T WAIT TO SIGN UP

• @RoseSupreme
    @RoseSupreme 2 роки тому +1

I welcome this special kind of engine to American rails once it is complete! I wish the LMS 10000 group was this popular... they're building an engine that was a pioneer in British Railways' history and I love it so much. :(

• @michaelnazaruk4100
    @michaelnazaruk4100 Рік тому

What a story! I'm so ashamed as an Altoona PA resident that not one T-1 was saved. Such a pity...

• @chooch1764
      @chooch1764 Рік тому

Well, one is being built from the ground up and PRR K4s 1361 is being restored to operation.

• @matthewjachtorowycz2455
    @matthewjachtorowycz2455 2 роки тому +7

If they get to build teh T1, someone’s going to build one of Milwaukee Road’s old streamlined steam locomotives

• @kevp9601
    @kevp9601 2 роки тому +2

We Love You, Mister Mike Armstrong

• @mariahhaarstick591
    @mariahhaarstick591 2 роки тому +4

They should also bring back the 4-4-6-4 or 4-6-4-4 Pennsy steam locomotives

• @Tom-Lahaye
    @Tom-Lahaye 2 роки тому +3

I'm very surprised how far the project has come to date.
    Creating a new build of this size, probably 3 times as expensive as Tornado due to the enormous size of all parts, was to be a very big enterprise.
    As far as fundraising is concerned, are there some lottery funds like in the UK where an appeal for a grant can be done to help to support projects like this? or has all to come from the private sponsors?
    A good thing is that the design is reworked not only to meet current mainline standards and code, but also to iron out some imperfections in the original design.
    It's actually the same route like the British A1 trust follows for their current new build under construction, the LNER P2 "Prince of Wales", here also the poppet valve system and leading truck are redesigned and all modern safety equipment is integrated in the design.
    These and improvements in steam pipe and blast pipe arrangements will make this new P2 the locomotive which it wasn't fully for the LNER.

• @just_a_missouri_guy6634
      @just_a_missouri_guy6634 2 роки тому +3

America does not have historic preservation lotteries so the railway preservationists have to raise funds through sponsors and private donations. And yes, this build is similar to the P2 build in the UK, with changes from the original to make the loco better.

• @adventuresofamtrakcascades301
    @adventuresofamtrakcascades301 2 роки тому +10

Rather interesting vid! This reminds me of me building a lot of trains like this in Minecraft at one point

• @CoasterFan2105
      @CoasterFan2105  2 роки тому +3

Thank you!

@adventuresofamtrakcascades301 2 роки тому +3

@@CoasterFan2105 the T1 in my opinion, is a really interesting looking locomotive. I love the right side of the thumbnail because the front looks like the time the WHOLE engine all together was delivered

@adventuresofamtrakcascades301 2 роки тому +1

Not to mention that this year has been a butt-kicking year of many Railfans like me and you. Better than 2020 if you ask me

• @davebennett8434
    @davebennett8434 2 роки тому +1

Everyone if it was built back then,it’s possible to bring her back to our world!

• @davidng2336
    @davidng2336 2 роки тому +1

Thanks for sharing! This will definitely be worth everything once they're done with it.

• @robertlucido3686
    @robertlucido3686 2 роки тому +1

Some kind of group needs to do this kind of thing with another steam locomotive that's one of my favorites, the New York Central Hudson

• @jakcytorres6734
    @jakcytorres6734 2 роки тому +1

I can't believe that they are going to bring back t1

• @zigman8550
    @zigman8550 2 роки тому +1

The Pennsey lives on!

• @TrainSounds
    @TrainSounds Рік тому +2

I wish they brought back the New York Central Hudson locomotives.

• @TheDemocrab
    @TheDemocrab 2 роки тому

When the T1 5550 is built and SAR 520 is restored, it'd be a treat to see them run alongside one another given they've got such similar streamlining.
    Might be interesting to drag 'em too: T1 is 4-4-4-4 while the 520 is 4-8-4, seems pretty fair to me!

• @AnimalsVehiclesAndMore
    @AnimalsVehiclesAndMore 10 місяців тому +1

Not gonna lie, that light on the front of the T1 (particularly the unfinished T1 looks like a giant eyeball.

• @lucase.garcia8026
    @lucase.garcia8026 2 роки тому +4

Here in Argentina we have "La Argentina" by engineer Livio Dante Porta, a unique and wonderful locomotive... of which almost nothing remains, rotting on a dead track and victim of robbery and vandalism.
    Hopefully one day in my country there will be a team that has what it takes to bring her back to life... it would be very sad if she only came back to life through a scale model, and we wouldn't even have that of her.
    I really hope that the dear PRR T1 project will be done soon.

• @northpennvalleysteamrailroad
    @northpennvalleysteamrailroad 2 роки тому +4

Awesome video on 5550! I heard the latest thing they are working on is the boiler.

• @CoasterFan2105
      @CoasterFan2105  2 роки тому +2

Thank you! Yes, the boiler is really coming along!

• @844Steamtrain
      @844Steamtrain 2 роки тому +1

Boiler and firebox are mostly complete. The frame is next!

• @PersianYank
    @PersianYank 2 роки тому +2

I would love to see an s1 brought back

• @michaelbenitez539
    @michaelbenitez539 2 роки тому +2

I would like to point out that the T1 is the equivalent of the NYC J Hudson, which none were preserved

• @Sleeper____1472
    @Sleeper____1472 2 роки тому

This explains so many of my question why we can't and can rebuild history, scratch or partially built.

• @jeremykuehn1027
    @jeremykuehn1027 2 роки тому +1

I've never heard of a PRR T1 Before!

• @Mike-tg7dj
    @Mike-tg7dj 2 роки тому +1

Good luck! Hey if they can bring this one back from extinction then maybe they should try helping scientists inresurrecting a woolly mammoth from extinction.

• @RGH2007
    @RGH2007 2 роки тому

It makes me happy seeing extinct engines and classes (for British) come back to life and steam once again and pull back history to when steam ruled the rails