How To Install Windows 98 from USB Flash Drive with Easy2Boot - HP Compaq t5710

Поділитися
Вставка
  • Опубліковано 30 вер 2024

КОМЕНТАРІ • 145

• @Henk717
    @Henk717 2 роки тому +8

Didn't expect to see my own driver bundle in this, awesome :D I hope they prove nice and stable for everyone.
    One important step was left out, after installing the USB driver you must go to device manager and install the missing USB controller by letting Windows search for the driver, and then reinstall any broken HID devices if need be by doing the same for them. That unlocks the USB2.0 support and fixes up any devices that may be broken by the USB driver swap.

• @jamesfmackenzie
      @jamesfmackenzie  2 роки тому

It’s the best driver bundle - thanks for the hard work! 😎
      Oh and thanks for the tip - I’ll update the blog post with this new info

• @charlesvanvessem
      @charlesvanvessem 2 роки тому

Henk, heb je een website waar ik meer kan leren over je drivers? Thx, Charles

• @Henk717
      @Henk717 2 роки тому

@@charlesvanvessem Geen website, maar stel gerust vragen.

• @charlesvanvessem

@@Henk717 Ik heb niet de volgorde van de video kunnen volgen, E2B maakte geen partities op m'n USB stick. Tijdens het rebooten heb ik de win98 map gekopieerd naar de HDD en hij start prima op, maar een berg gele uitroeptekens in de config. Ik begon met je ide driver, ik klikte maar ik zag geen programma opstarten of whatever. Waar zou het aan kunnen liggen? BTW thanks 🙏

• @Henk717
      @Henk717 2 роки тому

@@charlesvanvessem UA-cam filtert mijn comment weg als ik de download link noem. Maar hij zou de IDE hotfix zichtbaar moeten starten. Dus ergens gaat het mis bij het starten van het programma. Probeer hem eens vanaf C: te starten.

• @webivanz
    @webivanz Рік тому +4

For all those, who has USB drive detected as C:
    The only solution I've found - is insert second bootable usb with Norton Ghost or any other partition cloning software and clone flash drive to your hdd. Afterwards you can just remove all media and install win98 from hdd and remap partitions afterwards to use full volume size. This was the only solution that worked for me.

• @blinkachu5275
      @blinkachu5275 Рік тому +1

I'm stuck on this too :/ thanks for the tip, I'll have to try that

• @michaelprox1172
    @michaelprox1172 Рік тому +2

hi James Mackenzie i followed your video and i made the Easy2Boot usb drive with the windows 98 files and the windows 98 boot disk and im stuck in the fdisk menu i want to install the windows 98 on my 40gb ide hard drive and it is does not show it on the fdisk menu it is only shows the 2 partitions of the Easy2Boot usb drive i cant continue

• @obiegrad6624
      @obiegrad6624 Рік тому +3

I had the same problem. The only fix I found unfortunately was to burn a bootable Windows 98 iso and use a USB cd drive. If you go this route unplug the USB flash drive before booting from the CD.

• @GameplayCrush
    @GameplayCrush Рік тому +3

Easy2boot is using the second partition of the usb as drive C instead of the internal drive. i renamed the floppy image just as you said.

• @hyperhub164
    @hyperhub164 2 роки тому +2

Easy2Boot doesn't create the second partition on my usb drive. I'm using version 4.53, the latest available for download. Used multiple usbs, same thing with all of them. Any advice? thank you!

• @steve6375
      @steve6375 2 роки тому +2

E2B v2.15 is latest version. You need a Win10 system to create and add the UEFI support files to 2nd partition. For Legacy booting (DOS,Win95/98/XP, etc.) you do not need the 2nd partition.

• @magnum333
    @magnum333 11 місяців тому +1

How about installing Windows 98 TO a USB flashdrive? You can install FreeDOS, but Win9x... we're not there yet, are we?

• @Omarkoman
    @Omarkoman Рік тому +1

also after installing the usb package, none of my usb devices eg keyboard and mouse work anymore in windows

• @jamesfmackenzie
      @jamesfmackenzie  9 місяців тому

Yes, I had a similar problem with this too :-(
      In the end I bought a PS/2 splitter to use PS/2 mouse and keyboard. Here is the link:
      www.jamesfmackenzie.com/2021/11/13/using-monoprice-ps2-splitter-with-hp-compaq-t5710-review/
      Good luck!

• @3dhYT
    @3dhYT Рік тому +1

_Translator:_
    After asking:
    "Do you wish to enable large disk support (Y/N)?"
    I have another one that I didn't see in the guide:
    "Should NTFS partitions on all drives be treated as large (Y/N)?"
    I format the whole c drive and windows 98 installs without problems, but i can't delete the invisible NTFS partition.

• @jamesfmackenzie
      @jamesfmackenzie  Рік тому

Did you delete all the partitions first? It sounds like your desk may have an NTFS partition left behind from previous use

• @3dhYT
      @3dhYT Рік тому

@@jamesfmackenzie The NTFS partition was on a bootable flash drive.

• @Hanam_People
    @Hanam_People 3 роки тому +3

Wow, I took a long time to format the c drive. Almost 1hour.

• @jamesfmackenzie
      @jamesfmackenzie  3 роки тому

Try format /q to do a "quick format" - should be much quicker :-)

• @Drock0906
    @Drock0906 3 місяці тому

Having problems. Every time I click the Windows 98 Second Edition Boot I Just get a black screen with a white cursor. Any help would be great? Thanks

• @siriusthekittenmidi
    @siriusthekittenmidi 2 роки тому +1

... nt 4.0 doesnt work, but also it wont load the prompt when I do this, its stuck at a blinking cursor

• @justinc4261
    @justinc4261 Рік тому +2

This method worked a charm on a 2005 era ThinkPad that wasn't liking Rufus flashed floppy boot images, or the ISO in Easy2Boot method I'd seen in other tutorials. Thanks so much!

• @jamesfmackenzie

That’s great news! Glad you found this useful 😎

• @BladeRunner21577
    @BladeRunner21577 10 місяців тому +1

Format C: with the /s switch to make it bootable.
    Once you open D: drive you can simply use the catch all *.* to copy the folders so D:\ copy *.* C:

• @DrMcFiddles
    @DrMcFiddles 4 місяці тому

I know this is an older video but I'm hoping to get some help. I followed the beginning setup and was able to partition my SSD and set it as the primary but when I went to restart the computer, I'm met with the error, "Missing operating system." I tried multiple times and was met with the same thing. I triple checked the USB drive was setup properly and all the files are present and in the correct place. Any idea what could be causing this?

• @GamePlayShare
    @GamePlayShare 2 роки тому

E2B closing before green screen when looking for ventoy

• @jamesfmackenzie

Sorry to hear that 😞
      My best suggestion is to try a different USB stick. I had some trouble with various unbranded flash drives

• @williamcarlson9638
    @williamcarlson9638 2 роки тому +2

Hey James,
    Is it possible to use an external, USB CD drive with the Thin Client?

• @jamesfmackenzie
      @jamesfmackenzie  2 роки тому +1

Yes absolutely. Both USB floppy and USB CD drives work. They are bootable and also work natively in Windows 98.

• @williamcarlson9638
      @williamcarlson9638 2 роки тому +1

@@jamesfmackenzie Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me. These videos are massively helpful!

• @jamesfmackenzie

@@williamcarlson9638 No worries! Very happy to help and glad you enjoyed the videos

• @kieranmasonmusic4617
    @kieranmasonmusic4617 Рік тому +1

great video will these drivers work on the HP Thin Client T510?

• @jamesfmackenzie

Perhaps the VIA chipset drivers will work, but the rest - most likely not :-(
      The hardware internals are different between T5710 and T510

• @kate4556
    @kate4556 3 роки тому +2

I'm not sure how to make my driver files look like how yours do, did you extract the download a certain way or something? Mine just shows as audio, chipset etc.

• @jamesfmackenzie
      @jamesfmackenzie  3 роки тому +2

I created a folder c:\drivers and then copied the driver archive into that folder. Then I extracted the archive in place, so I have audio, chipset, network folders, and also gpu, usb installer etc. Is there a driver from the video that you’re missing in your setup? If so I can double check the linked archive. Thanks!

• @Omarkoman
    @Omarkoman Рік тому +1

using the supplied driver package, its telling me the sound card is not installed ...

• @captaincrash12
    @captaincrash12 2 роки тому +2

For some reason the USB drive shows up as drives A: and C: on boot . So the SATA Drive shows up as Drive D: . What a pain. I think I struck this many years ago yet cannot remember how to fix.

• @jamesfmackenzie

Did you rename the file extension on your boot image to .imgfdhd01? This will force the internal hard drive to be mounted as drive C:, with the USB as A: and D:
      If this didn't work, here are some other "special" file extensions you can use to change the way Easy2Boot mounts your drives:
      www.easy2boot.com/add-payload-files/list-of-file-extensions-recognised-by-e2b/
      Good luck!

• @captaincrash12
      @captaincrash12 2 роки тому +2

@@jamesfmackenzie Yea tried that extension. Same thing happens with Rufus and Yumi software also. Will check out the others you have linked. Thanks.

• @tyisafk
    @tyisafk 3 роки тому +2

I'm trying this on a real retro PC as I don't have a Windows 98 disk or floppy images. I'm getting an error that says grldr can't be found. Do you know why that might be happening? I checked the USB and it's on there.

• @jamesfmackenzie

Apparently this is a common error if your USB stick is corrupted. Find help here: www.easy2boot.com/faq-/repair/

• @tyisafk
      @tyisafk 3 роки тому +2

@@jamesfmackenzie I looked around and couldn't get it to work, but I actually found a workaround using VMWare! My retro PC is using a CF card instead of a normal IDE HDD, so I made a matching sized virtual disk, installed Windows 98 on it, converted the vmdk to raw img, mounted it with ImDisk to throw in my chipset's ISO disc and other drivers as well as the win98 folder from the ISO for generic plug-and-play devices, then burned it to my CF card with BalenaEtcher. Once I had all drivers installed on the PC, I read the CF card into a raw img then compressed it, going from 64GB to under 1GB so I can store it as a backup.

• @jamesfmackenzie
      @jamesfmackenzie  3 роки тому +1

@@tyisafk great idea! I’m using a Flash Module, but I’m tempted to get a CF adapter so I can image and backup the disk like this :-)

• @wizemonk4925
    @wizemonk4925 Рік тому +1

Hi i know this video is 2yrs old but i have the 1,2gghz Transmeta Efficeon TM8000 version will the drivers still work?

• @jamesfmackenzie
      @jamesfmackenzie  9 місяців тому

A great question! I suspect the answer is no - since the 1.2GHz variant has a different chipset and internal layout :-(

• @Trusteft
    @Trusteft 3 роки тому +2

I have a slim PC, younger than this thin client, I wonder if I could use this to install W98 on it. Interesting.
    Thank you for the instructions.

• @jamesfmackenzie

No worries! These Easy2Boot instructions are very generic - should work for almost any PC without an optical drive. Of course you’ll still need to find Win98 drivers for your chipset, graphics, sound etc - good luck!

• @Trusteft
      @Trusteft 3 роки тому +1

@@jamesfmackenzie Oh I do have optical. :)

• @ijnfus
    @ijnfus 2 роки тому +2

Does this method also works with other PCs?

• @jamesfmackenzie

Yes, it does. The drivers etc are specific to this PC - but the rest should work on any 😎

• @timcollins9800
    @timcollins9800 3 роки тому +2

That takes a lot of steps to do.Is there anyway i can get one ready made.If not there should be.
    Why does it not come with Windows98 embeded rather than Windows xp?You explain it very well James

• @jamesfmackenzie

Thanks for your message Tim. This device was built by HP Compaq as a "thin client" desktop solution for corporate environments. Out of the box, it has a very locked down OS (which happens to be WinXP). But really the intent is to open a remote connection to a server-based environment (e.g. via Remote Desktop, Citrix, telnet, SSH or some other remoting protocol) - and in that sense the OS doesn't really matter
      Since this was never intended a consumer product to be used for "real" computing, we have to "hack" it to support Windows 98 or another consumer operating system. This is why the setup steps are a bit convoluted
      Hope the context helps!

• @jamesfmackenzie

PS if you are using an IDE to CompactFlash adapter (instead of a Disk On Module like me), you *could* use something like VMWare to prepare a Windows 98 disk image on your main PC - and then image this to your CompactFlash card. You might find that easier than following all the steps above

• @timcollins9800

@@jamesfmackenzie Thanks for your reply
      Yes i realise that.But it seems everyone is, getting one for gaming,after all the videos on here.It is like when there were videos of buying an old office workstationPC and up grading with putting a grapichs card in.

• @midorifox
    @midorifox 2 роки тому +1

I have an issue with fdisk, it recognizes C:\ as the pendrive i'm installing windows 98 from and not the actual HDD. I have no idea how to fix this.

• @jamesfmackenzie

Did you change the file extension for the floppy image (see 05:08). You need to do that to get the drives to mount correctly. HTH!

• @3dhYT
    @3dhYT Рік тому +1

Will it work with t5720?

• @jamesfmackenzie

The drivers won’t work, but the Win98 setup should 😎

• @3dhYT
      @3dhYT Рік тому

@@jamesfmackenzie Can I delete the WIN98 directory after installation?

• @MarioShortz
    @MarioShortz 8 місяців тому +1

Where do i get the disk image file ?

• @siriusthekittenmidi
    @siriusthekittenmidi 2 роки тому +1

my drive is 128 GB, partitions are 115, the drive size is perpect though

• @V8Riku
    @V8Riku 2 роки тому +1

Hi! Good instruction video! Got Windows 98 installed to my HP Compaq t5000 thin client, also sounds are working great. But one issue occured after I installed USB driver from drivers zip folder. During whole installation process and after installation my USB keyboard and USB mouse worked fine as they should be but when I installed USB driver they stopped working. Also noticed that client doesnt recognize any other USB devices. What might cause problem and how to fix it? I installed everything in order like in instruction video. Thank you very much in advance for your help!

• @jamesfmackenzie

I’m using a PS/2 mouse and keyboard, so didn’t run into this issue. Does your USB keyboard and mouse work in Windows 98 Safe Mode? If so you can remove the USB 2.0 drivers and inf files from there, then restart. You’ll lose USB 2.0 support, but at least your keyboard and mouse should work! 😎

• @obiegrad6624
    @obiegrad6624 Рік тому +1

Just competed this full setup on the T5710. Everything seems to work perfectly now but wanted to share some info I learned as went through as it was quite a bit more difficult to set up than I expected. However, it was a fun project to figure this out.
    1. Not sure it matters but I went ahead and upgraded the BIOS under the pre-installed Windows XP Embedded before moving on. This is described elsewhere but to do much in XP Embedded you need to be an administrator. Hold down left shift while logging out via the start menu, and release it once the login screen appears. Log in as Administrator/Administrator.
    2. I got a 512MB memory upgrade, it was marketed as Powerbook G4 memory but works fine.
    3. I got a 4GB flash module the replace the built in 256 MB unit. Removing the old module was very difficult and I manged to bend a few pins on the IDE connector pulling it out. Fortunately I was able to bend them back in place enough to move forward but be very careful when removing the pre-installed memory in this machine. The motherboard comes out of the case with 4 screws and is easy to reinstall. I'd suggest removing the motherboard from the case before trying to remove the memory module since it'll make it much easier.
    4. Once I got the flash module installed I tried to follow these steps to get Windows 98 installed. As some others reported below, I got stuck on the step where FDISK would recognize the flash drive as the primary hard drive and the flash module as the second drive. This meant I could not make the flash module the active partition and could not boot from the flash module. The only way I found to resolve this was to burn a bootable Windows 98 ISO to a CD and to boot the system off a USB CD Rom drive without a USB Flash Drive plugged in. At this point I could run FDISK where it saw the flash module as the only drive and then I could make the flash module active. I appreciate this defeats the goal of installing from a USB flash drive.
    5. Once Windows is installed but before the USB drivers are set up it can be difficult to move files in and out. However, I found that by rebooting into DOS mode I could again access the USB drive and could copy files to the hard drive.
    6. When getting 7Zip for Windows, you'll find the latest version doesn't run on Windows 98. 9.20 works OK. However, for some reason 7zip under Windows 98 wouldn't open the driver .rar file I had downloaded with t5710 drivers. Instead I extracted the .rar file using 7Zip under Windows 11 and then compressed into a .zip file. 7Zip was able to open this OK under Windows 98.
    7. After installing the graphics driver I tried maximizing the graphics and colors which resulted in a blue screen error. If you have a modern monitor with high resolutions be careful with the display settings. I was able to use a high resolution and 32bit color, just not the highest resolutions Windows was offering me.
    8. After installing the USB drivers my USB keyboard and mouse stopped working which meant that I could not complete the extra step in the pinned comment below. Windows wouldn't even finish booting because it complained about the lack of a mouse. I ended up hooking up a PS/2 mouse which allowed me to finish the USB driver install and complete the step pinned below. At that point my USB mouse and keyboard started working again.
    Hope someone finds this helpful!

• @jamesfmackenzie

Thanks for the great write up!
      I also ran into the same USB keyboard issue, and had to fetch a PS/2 keyboard too 😂
      Now I use this splitter:
      www.jamesfmackenzie.com/2021/11/13/using-monoprice-ps2-splitter-with-hp-compaq-t5710-review/

• @machinerybeatz
    @machinerybeatz 2 роки тому +1

i dont have the system volume information folder

• @jamesfmackenzie

It is probably hidden because of your Windows Explorer view settings (“Hide Protected Operating System Files”)
      Also there is no need to copy that - it is system generated :-)

• @pixel_infusion8281
    @pixel_infusion8281 Рік тому

i got all the way to select D: and nope lol

• @joaquimjesus6134
    @joaquimjesus6134 2 роки тому

how can i add drivers, updates and programs on Windows 9x installation?
    i know there is 1 way(like slipstreaming or "infinst.exe"), but i'm searching :(

• @jamesfmackenzie

I don't have direct experience with slipstreaming in Win98, but this forum thread looks interesting:
      www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=69068
      Good luck! 🙂

• @Shadow_1_b
    @Shadow_1_b 2 роки тому +1

Why doesn’t my c drive show up

• @jamesfmackenzie

Sorry to hear you’re having issues. Are you able to find and partition the disk OK using FDISK?

• @Shadow_1_b
      @Shadow_1_b 2 роки тому

It’s ok now I tried but it sayed the ram is filled but I put xmgr did not work but it is not working so I just did not do it

• @OCROldComputerRebuilds
    @OCROldComputerRebuilds 3 роки тому +1

Great video. I've got an old asus beebox that I put win98 on. it's really nice having win98 on a vary small system.

• @jamesfmackenzie

Thanks! Super enjoying this little machine - played an hour of Screamer yesterday 😎

• @somerandomdude6078
    @somerandomdude6078 3 роки тому +1

It did not recognize my usb easy2boot

• @jamesfmackenzie

My recommendation is to try with a different USB stick. Easy2Boot didn't play nice with one of my USB sticks and I had to switch to a larger 32GB one

• @fermito51
    @fermito51 Рік тому

Hi,
    after choose Windows 98 Second Edition Boot from de menu E2B. Never load MS DOS, black screen remains.
    Can someone help me?

• @timcollins9800
    @timcollins9800 2 роки тому

I can.t make head or tale of all this..Why have you got just one folder in there *System volume info* r ?*mine has lots of stuff in there.I have put the iso in that drive.
    I have all these folders for the drivers and utilities
    Folder 1 Audio
    Folder 2 Chipset
    Folder 3 Network
    Folder 4 Direct x
    And these on there own
    GPU 6 -2
    Ide Hotfix
    Usb98
    Viasb
    You only have three folders. Why don,t you just put them in one folder? I am totally confused by it all. I wish they had win 98 all ready in-staled on The thin client ,rather than XP.. If i new someone who could do this for me i would pay them for doing it.I realise they were not made for doing this
    Quote Reply
    Report Edit Delete

• @charlesvanvessem
    @charlesvanvessem 2 роки тому +1

Hi, thanks for your helpful video. Now I want to install the drivers for ide but after clicking nothing happens. Do you have any idea, or can you show me the origin of these files to learn something more over there? Thanks you kindly, Charles

• @jamesfmackenzie

Hi Charles - hope all is well! Are you installing Windows 98 on an HP T5710 this client (like I’m doing here)? Or on another machine? Is it the IDE hotfix you’re having issues with or another driver? Will try to help

• @charlesvanvessem
      @charlesvanvessem 2 роки тому +2

@@jamesfmackenzie I'm working on a Sony vaio made for xp. The ide fix gave me the trouble but it worked just fine when installed from c: . Couldn't install video and audio from what you showed, no win98 drivers available. Could install what I think is the correct videocard driver but stuck in 640*480 16 color still. I started this project to get a midi box working via USB and happy it works but to have a good win98 system would be great! So help would be appreciated thanks.

• @jamesfmackenzie

@@charlesvanvessem can you send across the model number of your Vaio? Will try to help. Thanks!

• @charlesvanvessem

@@jamesfmackenzie it's a pcg7t2m

• @Ryan.Lohman
    @Ryan.Lohman Рік тому

I have an SD to IDE adapter for this Pentium 3 system. Do you think I could make bootable install media with that SD to IDE adapter and a 32GB SD card? The primary drive will be one of those Yansen IDE SSD's.

• @whimsicalnick
    @whimsicalnick Рік тому +1

What is thin client?

• @jamesfmackenzie

A low powered, thin and light machine with just enough power to connect to a server side computing environment (e.g. via Remote Desktop or Citrix).
      It turns out that some of them make great retro gaming PCs 😎

• @whimsicalnick
      @whimsicalnick Рік тому +1

@@jamesfmackenzie - Aren't these waaaayyy too fast to run old games? I have seen a lot of people talk about needing software to slow down the GPU/CPU so things run at a proper speed. Just wondering.

• @jamesfmackenzie

@@whimsicalnick because they’re designed for remote access use cases, the CPU on these thin clients is typically weak. The t5710 featured this video was released in 2004, but the performance of the transmeta processor is closer to Intel CPUs from ~2000 - making it a great Win98 machine

• @Omarkoman
    @Omarkoman Рік тому

issue I have is when I boot from the USB following this process, the C drive is automatically the easy to boot USB drive and D drive is the internal flash drive. not sure how to change it. How do I make the USB easy to boot drive appear as D drive and not C.

• @lorisildivulgatore
    @lorisildivulgatore 10 місяців тому

Easy2Boot Program CMD for me is not become green at the final process, why?

• @richardpalmanteer9798
    @richardpalmanteer9798 2 роки тому

I have a Dell OptiPlex GXT150 with windows 98 already installled. where do I get Quake from? or Doom?

• @seewardx7690
    @seewardx7690 2 роки тому +1

Do you have a driver for t5510 win98 ? :)

• @jamesfmackenzie

The t5510 should be very similar to the t5710 - they are the some sub model and should share the same CPU, chipset, graphics etc
      Try grabbing the Windows 98!driver package linked from my t5710 blog post:
      www.jamesfmackenzie.com/2021/07/11/install-windows-98-from-usb-stick-flash-drive-with-easy2boot-hp-compaq-t5710/
      At least the VIA 4-in-1 chipset drivers should definitely work :-)

• @seewardx7690
      @seewardx7690 2 роки тому

@@jamesfmackenzie thanks !!! :)

• @razvandvl
    @razvandvl Рік тому

Hi James,
    Went through to the boot menu and into dos, try to format and create partition, but it doesn't see any of the HDD, any solution to this?
    Cheers

• @MarkMcCorkle-q4t
    @MarkMcCorkle-q4t Рік тому

so the download with the drivers, I cant find the drivers where are they? and where are the utils

• @Trazer350
    @Trazer350 3 роки тому +1

where do i get the boot img ?

• @jamesfmackenzie

You can find the links on my blog post here: www.jamesfmackenzie.com/2021/07/11/install-windows-98-from-usb-stick-flash-drive-with-easy2boot-hp-compaq-t5710/
      Hope this helps!

• @raymond2694
    @raymond2694 2 роки тому +1

thanks a lot, you helped a lot! What a good man! Big Love!

• @raymond2694
      @raymond2694 2 роки тому +1

still stucked, when verifying some hardware, error occuried, cant write drive C somewhat. E2B turned hard disk into d: and keep one USB partition into C:
      oh......headache

• @jamesfmackenzie

Glad it helped! :-)

• @1977mika
      @1977mika 2 роки тому

@@raymond2694 same here: followed the guide step by step with the same hardware (just the disk on module 2Gb instead 4Gb). It keeps mounting the USB partition as C: while the internal disk is D: and I can’t make this one Active because Fdisk can’t disk #2 being marked as Active (only disk #1, which is the usb). This is preventing to proceed with formatting the internal disk and moving the win98 directory. Tried every combination possible with no results. Any suggestion?

• @Tugezu
    @Tugezu 3 роки тому +1

How much do you have ram on that pc?

• @jamesfmackenzie

256MB

• @Tugezu
      @Tugezu 3 роки тому

@@jamesfmackenzie well do you know how can i limit it from 2gb to 256?

• @arlandi
    @arlandi 3 роки тому +1

Hi James, loved this video. Very clear and easy to follow. Where did you get the Win98 drivers for your system? I have a t5730 and have tried installing Win98 but cannot find the driver so i don't have any sound.

• @jamesfmackenzie
      @jamesfmackenzie  3 роки тому +2

I grabbed the drivers from here: mega.nz/file/LgYDhKDA#7upam9AIguSzKWAvV_ENg7_SnWvWNCpYYwAnF94eUpU
      It was originally referenced in this vogons thread:
      www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=72173
      But looks like the t5730 has a different architecture - it’s Sempron-based with an AMD chipset. Unfortunately you’ll need a different driver package :-(

• @arlandi
      @arlandi 3 роки тому +2

@@jamesfmackenzie thanks! either i have to continue my quest or just get a t5710. :)

• @timcollins9800

I just got the hpt5730 but you have to upgrade the cpu and put a fan in there on it ,with that and other upgrades whicj cost more than the machine cost.Wirg all this i want to send it back and get the one he has here.Unforunatly it comes from germany the price of the postage is the same as the machine.I don,t know wheather i will be charged extra because it comes from abroed now that we have left the EU.I am from the uk by the way. you have proverly seen this ua-cam.com/video/qX2_dm9or0Q/v-deo.html

• @DexrexxMedia
    @DexrexxMedia 2 місяці тому

8:04

• @RingaRaggedy
    @RingaRaggedy Рік тому

When I try to format C: from D:\Win98 I get a message saying Bad Command or File Name.

• @RingaRaggedy
      @RingaRaggedy 6 місяців тому

Will give that a shot. Thanks!

• @heinzfehrmann7121
    @heinzfehrmann7121 2 роки тому +1

Awesome!

• @joaquimjesus6134

1 - that ATI driver have for X600?
    2 - that Vinyl driver works on Conexant driver?(yes i need that works on DOS too)
    3 - i have an Intel pro/wireless 2200 or 2100... but not the driver for win98\me.
    4 - can i get more drivers for Win98\ME with laptop acer aspire 1690?
    5 - you advice use dx7 instead dx9?
    6 - what setup commands i use for install on modern laptops?

• @Henk717
      @Henk717 2 роки тому +1

The X600 i don't know but i assume it might work otherwise there are newer ATI drivers available that might.
      No, vinyl is for vinyl, for connexant you will need a different driver (Was that even around in the 98 era?)
      I don't think that wifi driver exists.
      The advice depends on what you want to do, i personally use DX9 and it works well. Other people experienced problems and rather stick to 7.

• @jamesfmackenzie

Good news. This driver *does* work for X600. You can also download it directly here:
      www.philscomputerlab.com/ati-9x-driver-archive.html
      For the other components: it looks like the Acer Aspire 1690 uses the Intel 915PM chipset. There's good news here too: this is officially supported under Windows 98. You can download the chipset drivers here:
      www.philscomputerlab.com/intel-chipset-drivers.html
      Good luck!

• @joaquimjesus6134
      @joaquimjesus6134 2 роки тому +1

@@jamesfmackenzie why i must use manually for install the X600 driver?

• @jamesmackenzie6630
      @jamesmackenzie6630 2 роки тому +1

@@joaquimjesus6134 on Windows 98 you always need to install the drivers manually :-)

• @joaquimjesus6134

@@Henk717 'No, vinyl is for vinyl' sorry, but is the only one that i can get and install...
      heres the drivers ID's:
      Driver Description PCI Multimedia Audio Device
      Hardware ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266E&SUBSYS_00661025&REV_04
      PCI Device Intel 82801FB(M) ICH6(-M) - AC'97 Audio Controller [B2]
      Driver Description Standard Display Adapter (VGA)
      Hardware ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_3150&SUBSYS_00661025&REV_00
      PCI Device ATI Mobility Radeon X600 (Acer) Video Adapter
      the audio driver, on Windows XP, is Conexant... but on Windows 9x, it's Vinyl WDM... i don't know why... i'm confused :(
      the video driver, even from www.philscomputerlab.com/ati-9x-driver-archive.html , works, but must be installed manually(not only choose the folder of drivers... it will not detect).

• @seewardx7690

Hi. I have a problem with e2b. I have 4 different flash drives. Each time the e2b application only creates one E2B partition for me. Nightmare. Do you have any idea how to fix it ??

• @seewardx7690

Every time the program does not end with a green screen only blue blue blue and everything disappears.

• @steve6375
      @steve6375 2 роки тому +1

Use win10 to make E2B drive

• @MikaelGuggenheim
    @MikaelGuggenheim 3 роки тому

Dammit. I made it until "Setup is preparing Windows 98 Setup..." at 11:28. But don't even see the loading bar. :(
    Think I have a to new laptop, or maybe it's to much mem in it. Oh well. When I have the time I'll try removing some mem and we'll see...

• @jamesfmackenzie

Good luck! Out of interest … how old/new is the laptop?

• @HYBRID_BEING
      @HYBRID_BEING 2 роки тому +2

My problem exactly. Freezes on "preparing Wizard" message (with no loading bar), can't even Ctrl+Alt+Del out of it. Heard Win98 setup is not good with RAM above 512MB, but smallest i've got is 1GB. Afterwards a "wininst0.400" folder remains on C: drive, but couldn't find any install logs.

• @viks4an
      @viks4an 2 роки тому

@@HYBRID_BEING Lifesaver haha! Had the exact same problem - setup would hang on "Setup is preparing Windows 98 Setup". Changing out the ram sticks I had from 4 gigs down to 1GB did the trick. Setup proceeded the next time I ran it and had Windows installed successfully.
      Since I don't have usb drives on the old PC I wanted to put Win98 on, I used a newer PC that has 4GB of RAM. Everything was good until the Win98 setup part because of the amount of RAM. Took me until I read your comment to remember that I never swapped out the RAM lol

• @HYBRID_BEING
      @HYBRID_BEING 2 роки тому

@@viks4an dang, so 1GB worked for you? Are you using DDR2 or DDR3 memory?

• @viks4an
      @viks4an 2 роки тому

@@HYBRID_BEING Oh yeah I should mention the kind of RAM I used actually, never know who might find it useful info.
      Here it is:
      Samsung M378T2863EHS-CF7 2GB 2 x 1GB PC2-6400U DDR2
      Plucked it out of a Dell Optiplex 160, that initially installed Win98 following Jame's video to test things out. So I knew it should work, just forgot I was sitting on 4gigs of RAM on the next PC.

• @Israelfuckedup
    @Israelfuckedup 11 місяців тому

Wait how did you enter to dos, i only got 3 options to boot win98 from cd or somewhere elese