Scanning 100 Year Old Film With The Fujifilm X-T2

Поділитися
Вставка
  • Опубліковано 14 лют 2019
  • About a year ago I discovered hundreds upon hundreds of old negatives at a house my friend had purchased to renovate. From what I could tell by holding them up to the light, they appeared to be from the early 1900's. Being both a history nerd and a photographer, I had to take some home. I recently watched Matt Day's video on using his X-T3 to scan film, so I decided to use my X-T2 to bring some of my old negatives to life. The film is in very rough shape with some having hundreds of scratches, marks or other defects. However, I was pretty happy about the results I was able to get! These most likely came from something like the Kodak Brownie camera. This was essentially like the Model T of cameras for the era. I've spotted a Kodak Brownie in two photos so far (one of which is in this video) and the film I have is the same size the Brownie took.
    Matt Day's Video: • Scanning Film with the...
    Lightroom Article: sleeklens.com/turn-a-negative...
    See all my favorite shots from the Fuji gear I've used: www.kentuckyman30.com/
    My real estate website: www.koreynapierphotography.com/
    ▶ Check out my gear on Kit: kit.co/Ultraphox
  • Розваги

КОМЕНТАРІ • 36

• @dblais
    @dblais 4 роки тому +1

This was amazing. These images are priceless, and I think there are families out there that would really appreciate having these. I think I'd try using the address and social media as a jumping off point to connect with someone tied to these old negs. I sometimes feel like the family archivist in my life. I've told my wife, if we ever have a fire, I'm grabbing hard drives and photo/video files on my way out the door. As generations age, and I think everyone starts to feel and understand this deeper as they get older, these are the only real recorded legacy of our existence. It amazes me that with today's digital imaging, hundreds of years from now kids will see videos of their great-great-great-great grandfather graduating from college, getting married, mowing his lawn, playing with his kids . . . Crazy to think!! Cool video - loved this, and love seeing the images and trying to imagine what their story was.

• @kevinpritchard6260
    @kevinpritchard6260 5 років тому +3

So compelling watch it also shows how good cameras were back in the day without auto focus or exposure ... makes you think

• @britneynicole8903
    @britneynicole8903 Рік тому

These photos are incredible!

• @lloydbligh5601
    @lloydbligh5601 5 років тому

Wow, nice to go back in time, thanks for sharing. Priceless.

• @stuartcrofts8860
    @stuartcrofts8860 5 років тому +2

wow thanks for sharing, some people covet riches but I think this is real treasure, looks like you found a snap shot into a great portrait artists life, I'm pretty sure that this could be of interest to a lot of people. well done and thanks for the advice.

• @thegreatvanziniphotos5976
    @thegreatvanziniphotos5976 5 років тому

Really some wonderful pics there. All back alive!

• @cashmoney9256
    @cashmoney9256 5 років тому +2

This is awesome! I just got an xt2. My mom has numerous negatives my grandfather took on medium format cameras. I look forward to trying this when i go back to visit!

• @loufonolleras5544
    @loufonolleras5544 5 років тому

Wow, sounds like a fascinating project..from the original find, to your scanning process. Great work Korey!

• @martinhinge1462
    @martinhinge1462 5 років тому +1

Those are some amazing photos. Thank you for saving them for posterity.

• @GoranSlika
    @GoranSlika 5 років тому

So many great images

• @panoslikos8172
    @panoslikos8172 5 років тому

Amazing job! Thanks for sharing!

• @tuntitommosille
    @tuntitommosille 5 років тому +1

Good job bringing those negatives to life, they offer an interesting window to history. This also goes to show that pictures don't need to be technically perfect to be good. The important thing is to go out there and capture the moment. Too many people these days obsess about technical details like lens corner sharpness and camera autofocus tracking and end up missing the opportunities altogether. If these people managed to take interesting pictures almost 100 years ago with their potato cameras, I'm pretty sure just about every camera today is able to do the same.

• @KentuckyMan30
      @KentuckyMan30  5 років тому

Couldn’t have said it better myself! Puts things in perspective!

• @buc71x24
    @buc71x24 5 років тому

Really interesting, thanx for sharing!

• @JayMacroPhotos
    @JayMacroPhotos 5 років тому

This is awesome

• @chrischan068
    @chrischan068 5 років тому

Really cool!!

• @jcmc3445
    @jcmc3445 5 років тому

This is great!!! I'll dig into some negatives! :)

• @DANVIIL
    @DANVIIL 5 років тому

I loved these images & it proves how great film is. I have 12 yr old digital images stranded on hard drives that died. Will our great grandkids even have images of our times? It seems doubtful and tragic, which is why I shoot film 80% of the time.

• @KentuckyMan30

Thanks! It was a fun project. Your hard drive issue is the very reason I try to print as much as I can! I want to ensure my work is not just in digital form, but physical form as well!

• @EzeRazor
    @EzeRazor 5 років тому

Awesome! (recently subscribed btw)

• @ChrisEdgecombePhoto
    @ChrisEdgecombePhoto 5 років тому

Wow, amazing simple process in Lightroom. Rather than desaturate, would it not be better to convert to B&W in Lightroom or use the NIK Silver EfEx Pro plugin?

• @KentuckyMan30

I don't know if either is better, just different ways of doing it.

• @RandyPollock
    @RandyPollock 5 років тому +1

I had watched Matt's video the other day, good to see the process in practice...like the Confederate Vets with one even holding a box camera. That was interesting, thanks for the video.

• @KentuckyMan30
      @KentuckyMan30  5 років тому +1

Thanks! Yeah, I found out that the vet was holding a Kodak Brownie No. 2 camera. It was produced from 1901-1935. I have another picture where a young boy is holding a Kodak Brownie camera as well.

• @RandyPollock
      @RandyPollock 5 років тому

@@KentuckyMan30 I almost bought one the other day but finally talked myself out of it...but I always find it interesting to see old images of someone holding a camera of that period. That Kodak was extremely popular in the day

• @KentuckyMan30
      @KentuckyMan30  5 років тому +1

It sure was! It was essentially like the Ford Model T of cameras. Brought photography to the masses!

• @atqmail
    @atqmail 5 років тому

somehow I read the headline (x100 mark 2) and got reeaaallllly excited ..

• @johnilko2964
    @johnilko2964 5 років тому

A free download program called "Faststone" has a one click Effect that will convert B&W pictures. You can change a B&W pos to neg or neg to pos. It is free and works rather well. After you converting it you can then edit with a number of options including curve if you want. It is a free download, but they will ask only once if you want to donate. Try it. Free a free editor, it works very well.

• @agylub
    @agylub 4 роки тому

Rather than using a timer use Electronic Shutter and theFuji phone app for totally vibration free shooting

• @KentuckyMan30
      @KentuckyMan30  4 роки тому

I did use the electronic shutter for these, although I don't really like messing around with the app. Never been a big fan of it and just prefer to use the 2 second timer.

• @mongodlx
    @mongodlx 5 років тому

Must have been quite a wealthy family..