Living and working in a Ducato IH 630RL after 6000 miles and 50 nights. How does it compare to VW T5

Поділитися
Вставка
  • Опубліковано 27 вер 2024
  • John shares the truth about living, working and holidaying in a Ducato panel van based camper / motorhome, compared to both his VW 5.1 pop top and his Rapido 9090F A class motorhome.
    After 6000 miles of driving and over 50 nights away in Jazzy the IH 630 RL its time to share the reality
    Please subscribe and click the notification bell. If you wish to support our channel, why not buy a sticker or other item of our merchandise. This link takes you to the 'To the Garage' shop. www.tothegarag...
    “When you click on some of the links provided in this description, or on the website, and then decide to go on and make a purchase, this can result in this channel earning a small commission when you make qualifying purchases. Programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the "eBay Partner Network.” and the "Amazon affiliate network" Using these links does not increase the price that you pay in any way.
    Thank you for supporting To the Garage.”
    Intro, Outro and bed, theme music were written by Craig Blundell. They are his copyright and provided to ‘To the Garage’ for its exclusive use. They may not be copied or used outside of ‘To the Garage’ UA-cam channel without his written permission.

КОМЕНТАРІ • 37

• @stevebass3992
    @stevebass3992 6 місяців тому

That looks a real quality motor home John. That is exactly what we want but they are expensive. Great video John

• @keithhoughton4308
    @keithhoughton4308 7 місяців тому +1

Thanks for this, John. We have just ordered an Autosleeper Kingham and take delivery in a fortnight. You have put my mind at rest on many aspects of ownership and use of these fabulous vans. The Kingham has a fixed bed (though not an island like your A class) and ours will have the 9 speed auto as I've become used to resting my left leg since owning my 96 XK100. Great minds, eh?

• @ToTheGarage
      @ToTheGarage  7 місяців тому +1

Hi Keith.
      Im very familiar with the Autosleeper vans. An excellent choice. and I will be jealous of your flush fit privacy glass and Automatic box. If we had not been able to find an IH in budget we would have gone for a Warwick XL.
      Good luck and happy travels with your new toy👍

• @keithhoughton4308
      @keithhoughton4308 7 місяців тому

One thing you didn't mention is the device on your rear view mirror. Is that a screen and did you install yourself?

• @ToTheGarage
      @ToTheGarage  7 місяців тому

Hi Keith. Yes I installed a twin lens camera on the back . Its a fully inntegrated thing that you buy as a replacement for the Fiat high level brake light. And I got a decent quality moniitor and did a hard wired instalation (wireless is iseasy to install but the picture can suffer interference and lag)
      Its permanantly on and shows the view as if from an interior mirror only from a much higher vantage point with no obstructions. I can press one button and get a view straight down so i can reverse up to fences with accuracy.
      Installing it is easy except the front to rear wiring which took me all day to do so that nothing was on show. I will see if I can find a link to my kit and show you in a follow up comment.👍

• @ToTheGarage

This is my kit
      I added an extra long cable to give me options for the installation and a hard wire kit. www.parkingcameras.com/store/pm39blbtw-twin-brake-light-ducato-relay-boxer-reverse-rearview-camera-kit.html

• @keithhoughton4308
      @keithhoughton4308 7 місяців тому

@ToTheGarage Thanks John. I had a wireless setup some years ago but it wasn't good enough to rely on.

• @kampenheimer
    @kampenheimer 6 місяців тому +1

Hi John. Thank you for this great review of your new Ducato. Our 2008 Hymer A Class is the same length as this, although a tad wider. Ours has an AL-KO amc chassis which I assume Ruby had also. I have a special request John. I like to do some work on my cars although I've been a bit hesitant on our Hymer Ducato - for one particular reason. I recently watched your video on rear drum brake maintenance on your previous Rapido, while at the same time trying to catch a clear glimpse of where exactly you were putting your axle stands. I find that many such motorhome videos by many channels always have the axle stands just out of view, as there is always an assumption that the viewer already knows correct positioning on a ducato based vehicle for these stands. We don't - especially if we are not used to working on larger vehicles.
    Given that I always find your tutorial videos excellent and well explained - I am wondering if you would be willing to do a short video on how and where precisely to put axle stands on a ducato, both front and rear for various jobs? I have to do some upkeep on the brakes soon and such a tutorial would be amazing as I have never done work on such a large vehicle before - and there are practically zero videos on this procedure for a ducato camper/motorhome. I'm also not sure if this procedure is different for one with an AL-KO chassis compared to a standard Fiat chassis. Many thanks John.

• @ToTheGarage
      @ToTheGarage  6 місяців тому

Hi @kampervonmega thanks for the kind words and I'm pleased you have found the videos useful.
      I think that you raise a very interesting point re jacking and axle stand points. I think I will indeed do a video on this in the near future. You are right that because I know where to do it, I dont think to show it on the videos and that is an oversight on my part.
      Unfortunately, it will be different for the rear of a vehicle equipped with an AL-KO chassis, and I no longer have Ruby to demonstrate on. However I am sure i can find some stock photos of that chassis and create an easy to understand Graphic.
      Thanks very much for the comment👍👍

• @kampenheimer
      @kampenheimer 6 місяців тому

@@ToTheGarage That is absolutely awesome John. I seem to be coming across conflicting views on this issue. For example, I saw one video of someone jacking directly on their Al-ko rear axle. Now, I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure one is not supposed to do that on an Al-ko, although it may be possible to have an Al-ko rear axle ‘resting’ on axle stands after it is already jacked. I saw that on MMM magazine photos (which I have) for axle greasing. It’s all very confusing. By the way, I was watching your videos again last weekend on tools, sockets, screwdrivers etc. You really do have a gift for clearly explaining things. Thanks again.

• @stephenoakley1583
    @stephenoakley1583 7 місяців тому

Hi John. Good subjective video. Looks like your latest choice of camper is working out great 👍

• @brian8700
    @brian8700 7 місяців тому

Hi John, nice to see you have employed your drone…. Which model you flying?

• @stun9771
    @stun9771 7 місяців тому

Interesting and thought provoking video…may I ask what mileage was on the Fiat when you bought it?

• @johnrocker2986
    @johnrocker2986 7 місяців тому +1

Really enjoyed your vlog, very realistic balanced appraisal.

• @ToTheGarage

Glad you enjoyed it!. thanks@johnrocker2986

• @lesbaldwin5066
    @lesbaldwin5066 7 місяців тому +1

All good stuff...but 38/40 mpg in the Fiat???!!!
    Really?...I have identical van, travel quite light, with no water on board, steady 60/65mph average....I get 26 to 28 at best? Just curious...

• @ToTheGarage

Hi Les.
      Im assuming you are not in the states which would explain the difference as their gallons are smaller than ours.
      So I can only put it down to -
      I have new tyres (Khumo's)
      manual box
      I alternate between standard and premium diesel
      Not using Aircon
      No boxes or habitation aircon on roof
      Van has only done 33000 miles
      I travel VERY light. (solo most of the time).
      Im quoting the average mpg from the dashboard display, rather than any callculated brim to brim experiment
      I have done a couple of videos on hypermiling (extreme economy driving) so i certainly know how to get the best out of it, but genuinely not making any conscious effort to achieve high 30's

• @lesbaldwin5066
      @lesbaldwin5066 7 місяців тому

Understood, it must be the gallon size difference because everything else seems the same ..great van though. Thank you for the reply

• @TheDrago1882
    @TheDrago1882 7 місяців тому

Hello everybody, John Here 😂

• @ToTheGarage

😁 Hi Drago

• @TheDrago1882
      @TheDrago1882 7 місяців тому

@@ToTheGaragehi John, love the videos 👍🏻

• @richiebainbridge2608
      @richiebainbridge2608 7 місяців тому +1

Great video. Having just bought the same IH on a 2018 it was good to get an insight of your view. I followed you when you had the Nissan Elgrand and that was like a bible for the control buttons 😂. Thanks Richie.

• @ToTheGarage

Thanks Richie. Let us know how you get on with your IH.
      I would still own the Elgrand if were not for the fuel consumption. That car had a unique combo of talents and only one true flaw

• @joshuaparr3279
    @joshuaparr3279 3 місяці тому

What a great van, its got a good balance between Ruby and Alfie. Much better as a daily driver.

• @GlenB-qo7wd
    @GlenB-qo7wd 7 місяців тому +1

Wtf someone towing an Adarth be hind a camper van 😂😂👍👍❤ 3:48

• @ToTheGarage

If you are going to do it. Do it in style 🤣👍

• @GlenB-qo7wd
      @GlenB-qo7wd 7 місяців тому

@@ToTheGarage 2 right I had one these and loved every every minute if it 😆😆👍👍👌👌❤️❤️🇬🇧🇬🇧
      Got ta say that's the first timer I seen one towd like this and all credited to u .❤️🇬🇧

• @projectsinthebarn
    @projectsinthebarn 7 місяців тому +1

Hi John, a nice little video giving a great rundown in your new motorhome.
    It does look like a great conversion and a really quality build.
    As you well know, compromising is always key when choosing to buy or building a motorhome, and I think you have ended up with a great blend of practicality and modern motorhome living with yours 😊

• @ToTheGarage

Thanks Simon. Hopefully, it will continue to impress and to suit our particular needs for a few years to come.
      A crafter based IH would have ticked even more boxes but the extra for the VW badge on vans of this size is not even funny.

• @projectsinthebarn
      @projectsinthebarn 7 місяців тому

@@ToTheGarage absolutely mate, the VW scene tax is hefty, and doesn't even get you a better van these days.

• @toy838
    @toy838 7 місяців тому +1

Thanks for video

• @UdoIBress
    @UdoIBress 7 місяців тому

Hi I'll take a look at this. Good evening friends.😊