HOW DO I FIT SOLAR PANELS TO A CAMPER VAN ROOF simple and safe - Sprinter Transit T4

Поділитися
Вставка
  • Опубліковано 23 тра 2019
  • HOW TO INSTALL SOLAR TO A CAMPER VAN SAFE AND SIMPLE DIY campervan conversion simple way to install solar panels to the roof of your camper van
    My aim is to give you campervan conversion ideas on how to convert a van into a camper and to help inspire you to build your own tiny home on wheels
    please consider subscribing to my channel I really do appreciate your support thank you.
    To really help support my channel why no join my member's community and get to see my videos first and without adverts, Don't forget to turn on notifications by clicking the Bell thank you 👍🤓👍
    / @bigvansmallworld
    My Amazon Store
    Where you will find everything that I have used in my van builds. Plus more great van life essentials.
    www.amazon.co.uk/shop/melsvan...
    How to convert a van into a camper van
    DIY camper van build
    how to build a camper van
    How to Self Build A Van
    How To build off-grid camper van for van life
    DIY camper van conversion
    DIY camper build
    DIY camper van
    How to build a tiny home on wheels
    Tiny Home share this video with a UA-camr friend:
    How to convert a van into a camper van
    how to build a camper van
    How to Self Build A Van
    How To build off-grid camper van for van life
    DIY camper van conversion
    DIY camper build
    DIY camper van
    How to build a tiny home on wheels
    Tiny Home
    inks to solar panel and charge controller & Brackets www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...
    controller
    www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...
    eBay links
    rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-534...
    solar
    rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-534...
    brackets on Ebay rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-534...
    #melsvanlife #melsvanworld #vanbuild #diycampervan #vanconversion #vanlife #vandwelling
  • Навчання та стиль

КОМЕНТАРІ • 296

• @BigVanSmallWorld
    @BigVanSmallWorld  3 роки тому +3

why not check out my Amazon Store for all your van building needs & more
    www.amazon.co.uk/shop/melsvanworld

• @DollopussD
    @DollopussD Рік тому +7

Love the honesty in this 🤣 "An old battery I got for £2 from a breakers yard!" 🤣

• @HowardKlein1958
      @HowardKlein1958 Рік тому

😊 Yeah that how it was in 70s. No money around and just made do and learn't how to do things myself , mind you two quid was a lot of money in 1975, beer 25p a pint so you could have a good evening in pub and Chinese take away after and still have change 😄 Petrol 32p a gallon, (that's 7p a litre 😯). ps where do i get those mounting corners from? Cant find on Amazon link you gave. That are perfect as i don't like drilling in roof for fear of leaks.

• @stuartchapman5171
      @stuartchapman5171 Рік тому +1

I lived on the road in tge 80's. We ysed old van and truck batteries. We had a oair of wires with crocodile clips run out the top of the bonnet, round the windscreen post and in through the door, when you went out, sling a battery in the foot well, charge it up. We didn't use the batteries for lighting, incandescent bulbs only back then. We used to run car cassette players and old portable black and white cathode ray TVs. The lighting came from gaslight and candles.

• @melindaleon5907
    @melindaleon5907 11 місяців тому +32

This panel can put out close to 100 watts ua-cam.com/users/postUgkxOqI2yqX0XVrhR2BMJciTWrHJpG8FhJyg when positioned in the appropriate southernly direction, tilted to the optimal angle for your latitude/date, and connected to a higher capacity device than a 500. The built in kickstand angle is a fixed at 50 degrees. Up to 20% more power can be output by selecting the actual date and latitude optimal angle.The 500 will only input 3.5A maximum at 18 volts for 63 watts. Some of the excess power from the panel can be fed into a USB battery bank, charged directly from the panel while also charging a 500. This will allow you to harvest as much as 63 + 15 = 78 watts.If this panel is used to charge a larger device, such as the power station, then its full output potential can be realized.

• @edpowell496
    @edpowell496 Рік тому +4

the energy you put into these videos is incredible

• @user-st4hx7yn8p
    @user-st4hx7yn8p 5 місяців тому +1

Thanks Mel, im looking at doing this soon. I've already insulated and put my roof up, was worried drilling through and not being able to see the inside to check for leaks. Seeing this put my mind at rest, going to stick them on like you have! Thanks

• @Jonny2284
    @Jonny2284 3 роки тому +3

Can I just say no matter how many videos I absolutely love UA-cam auto captioning attempt at understanding Mel's accent.

• @killianociardubhain414
    @killianociardubhain414 2 роки тому +1

You said it yourself, "Brilliant". Thanks Mel, your Videos make any conversion task less daunting.

• @AndrewSmart32
    @AndrewSmart32 2 роки тому +2

Awesome, so many tutorials involve screwing into the van, as I've already dealt with a leak from the air vent I don't want that with all my panels! This will be perfect

• @belgiandip8682
    @belgiandip8682 2 роки тому +2

Love your style, and this is Just what I needed! Thanks mucho, Mel.

• @craigwinterburn
    @craigwinterburn 3 роки тому +2

Great easy to follow video. Never knew about the plastic roof Access holes, perfect. And great advice to leave the brackets alone a few days for the bond to go off. Thanks so much.

• @BigVanSmallWorld
      @BigVanSmallWorld  3 роки тому

You are absolutely welcome thank you for taking the time to comment really appreciated 👍

• @alanmay1945
    @alanmay1945 4 роки тому +7

Your vids are just brilliant, simple, quick, cheap and very innovative methods, yet you achieve a perfectly good result. You are also working on your own, no extra help and no workshop with expensive machine tools. Mel, you are a marvel mate! Thankyou for so many of these great videos, each one a gem. Best wishes from Alan, in Norfolk.

• @BigVanSmallWorld
      @BigVanSmallWorld  4 роки тому

Thanks Alan that’s really nice of you to say really appreciated 👍🤓👍

• @bobbyboy723
      @bobbyboy723 4 роки тому +1

@@BigVanSmallWorld Hi Mel,
      I have been watching a lot of conversion videos and your stuff stands out as you keep it as simple as possible. I loved your comment on another video saying how you did not even have to bother with insulation if you didnt mind getting dripped on LOL. You capture the essence of just get out there and enjoy the tip without worrying too much about having all the luxuries. We would all love state of the art vans but I believe enjoying the trip with a basic van is better than sitting at home dreaming of a great van. BB

• @phrayzar
    @phrayzar 5 років тому +2

Congrats on the 4k. I like the new fast paced video, you've got a spring in your step in this one, but still all the info, cheers.

• @BigVanSmallWorld
      @BigVanSmallWorld  5 років тому

phrayzar thank you I really appreciate your feedback I’ll try and keep up the pace 🤓🤙

• @vanlifeembracingdiversity5431
    @vanlifeembracingdiversity5431 2 роки тому +1

Love your sense of humour. Hello from Brighton. About to finish my solar panel today

• @BigVanSmallWorld
      @BigVanSmallWorld  2 роки тому

Thank you for the positive encouragement really appreciated good luck with your build 👍

• @lanodramallama
    @lanodramallama 3 роки тому +4

Your video inspires confidence! I will be converting a Transit minibus with an identical roof to yours by the looks, so it's great to see how you went about it - thank you!

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Thank you that’s really kind of you to say I do appreciate your encouragement and support good luck with your build remember to keep it simple and safe 👍😊👍

• @ran6974
    @ran6974 2 роки тому +3

I had a mate that tiger sealed his washing machine drum back together when it fell apart. I laughed… a lot. But it still works to this day. That stuff is strong as f! 😂

• @rozza381
    @rozza381 3 роки тому +3

Mel, you're an inspiration mate! Your videos are great to watch and I learn something every time. Keep up the great work! Cheers.

• @ggd1444
    @ggd1444 2 роки тому +1

You must be one of the most entertaining guys on UA-cam! What a great character, keep up the good work.

• @terencebaker4269
    @terencebaker4269 5 років тому

Mel, great presentation, I'm watching this build (I've already watch your previous series) because I like this layout best, the kitchen in this build makes best use of the space.

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Thank you really appreciate your positive feedback and support 🤙🤓🍻

• @larrylindenmeyer4390
    @larrylindenmeyer4390 3 роки тому

Very helpful! Thank you Sir and keep grinning!

• @glynatmore1817
    @glynatmore1817 2 роки тому +3

Young mel always comes across as everyone's friend.
    What a splendid fellow mel is.
    I can a haylow above your head mel
    Yesterday like the saint. !!

• @minttea4972
    @minttea4972 Рік тому +1

Blooming marvellous. 👍👍👍👍👍👍

• @gastrictipple27
    @gastrictipple27 2 роки тому +1

Back in the day when I was a young lad I had a vw 😂😂✌️🤘🤙👌♥️😁🦾 I'm 28 and iv just purchased my own plot of land and have a T4 1993 transporter and a Renault traffic t1000 and a micro belingo camper that I'm going to store in a container. I'll be using your methods for sure love you and your cockney ways

• @lisagempup1398
    @lisagempup1398 5 років тому +1

Awesome job 4000 yeah👍congrats😊love the t shirt🌾🐈

• @crisrose9707
    @crisrose9707 Рік тому

This was a really great video. Thank you!

• @nickjury5198
    @nickjury5198 5 років тому +3

4000 subscribers😧👍 fantastic😎 Lovely job on the solar panel👍

• @BigVanSmallWorld
      @BigVanSmallWorld  5 років тому +1

Thank you Nick really do appreciate every single one of you 🤓🤙

• @baloobear7838
    @baloobear7838 5 років тому

Well Done Mel. Keep it simple!! Congrats on 4K subscribers

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Baloo Bear thank you really appreciate it 🤓🤙

• @markwilliams7573
    @markwilliams7573 5 років тому +1

Great job Mel, well done on the 4K subs fella. 👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Mark Williams thank you Mark really do appreciate everyone that has supported me 🤓🤙

• @daysgoneby4543
    @daysgoneby4543 5 років тому

Wow congratulations fella on the 4k sub count and you really do deserve it fella as thanks to you.. You have shown us that you don't need to spend a fortune to do a great van conversion thanks buddy... Have a great weekend fella

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Thank you really appreciate your support and positive feedback 🤓🤙

• @daysgoneby4543
      @daysgoneby4543 5 років тому

@@BigVanSmallWorld no worries fella

• @adrianhydephotography
    @adrianhydephotography 3 роки тому +4

4K subs 16k later now 20k. Outstanding Mel.

• @simonphillips2420
    @simonphillips2420 2 роки тому +1

Nice vid thanks Mel

• @Rick_Todd
    @Rick_Todd 5 років тому

Congrats on reaching 4000 Subs. Keep it going.

• @OutdoorGirlUK
    @OutdoorGirlUK Рік тому +1

Great video :) thanks!

• @BrothersGrim2012
    @BrothersGrim2012 5 років тому

Great Video Mel keep em coming

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Thank so for the positive feedback really appreciated 🤓🤙

• @mattcameron9349
    @mattcameron9349 5 років тому +8

Just a quick safety tip: It’s worth chucking a bit of cardboard over those panels before you connect the wires, so they are not producing any current. If the wires accidentally touch with the panels in sunlight, you can cause damage. Those brackets look really substantial!

• @BigVanSmallWorld
      @BigVanSmallWorld  5 років тому +2

Thanks Matt that’s a good shout 🤙🤓

• @SsKk558
      @SsKk558 Рік тому +3

the panels don't produce current until a load is attached

• @vanillagoose4444
    @vanillagoose4444 5 років тому +1

Wonder if i could stick a bunch of them on my house ! You should add some more straights to front Mel, act as a wind deflector ! nice job 👍🏻

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Thank you and yes I was thinking about a wind deflector you could use these on a house I don’t see why not 🤓🤙

• @livefearless1123
    @livefearless1123 3 роки тому +1

Thanks so much! Great video!

• @Memyselfandvan
    @Memyselfandvan 5 років тому

Congrats on reaching 4K Mel mate.

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Thank you I’m so pleased and grateful for all the support thank you 🤓🤙

• @ruthybabe571
    @ruthybabe571 5 років тому +1

Congratulations on reaching 4k.

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Thank you really appreciate your support 🤓🤙

• @leftblank6036
    @leftblank6036 3 роки тому +1

Diamond Geeezaaa! thanks matey gunna do this next week

• @wayne1243
    @wayne1243 5 років тому

Great job Mel 👍

• @leedavies9309
    @leedavies9309 5 років тому +3

4000 subscribers , you should be on 10,000 all the tips you give great video mel

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Lee Davies thank you so much Lee 10k I think I would pass out lol 😂🤓🤙

• @alant2419
    @alant2419 5 років тому

Nicely done Mel

• @garyroberts-spinoutuk4874
    @garyroberts-spinoutuk4874 4 місяці тому

Many thanks brilliant

• @dparris61
    @dparris61 5 років тому

Cracking vlog Mel 👍👍😎

• @louisjantzen7141
    @louisjantzen7141 5 років тому

Ha!
    Gotcha, Mel:
    l already had a 4 bar roof-rack, so l just adjusted one bar to fit my panel... (the cables go through my sunroof)
    l even put 2 inch elevators on the back-end to keep it facing the sun...
    (Yes: l do *not* intend to move my van for a while)
    Hahaha...
    I liked those plastic end-bits though... yep!

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Well done sounds like you really do have one up on me lol 😂🤓🤙

• @louisjantzen7141
      @louisjantzen7141 5 років тому

Perpetual Stay-in-one-place, indeed.

• @onemanandhiswhippet
    @onemanandhiswhippet 5 років тому +1

Congratulations on 4K mate 👍 best regards Louie and is two poo pickers 👍❤️😀🐾🍺🍟

• @BigVanSmallWorld

One Man and His Whippet thank you wish I had made it to camp Q and met up with you all looks like you had a great time 🤓🤙

• @andrew-wv9ti
    @andrew-wv9ti 6 місяців тому

Nice job

• @ryanstokoe2029
    @ryanstokoe2029 4 роки тому +5

I was really resigned to the fact that I’d be drilling the panel to some roof bars and then not having space for extra luggage. Basically because I was scared that this adhesive (or any of the recommended brands) wouldn’t hold the panel in at 70mph.
    You’ve given me confidence to glue now. I think. Eek.

• @BigVanSmallWorld
      @BigVanSmallWorld  4 роки тому +1

Good luck take ya time make sure everything is super clean and you’re be rite 👍🤓👍

• @gkuk
    @gkuk 5 років тому

Hi Mell, Top job as always 👍

• @in-the-vanpeter5157
    @in-the-vanpeter5157 5 років тому +1

Mel you are a bloody genius, where did you get those brackets ? absolutely by far the best way to fit a solar panel, Greg Virgoe you better up your game there’s a Mel about. I am so impressed with this. Thank you and huge 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Thanks, Peter here's a link to the Brackets for you on Amazon
      www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016ORGABK/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B016ORGABK&linkCode=as2&tag=melsvanworld-21&linkId=7aea0fdf04168718d4136409d453a92e

• @BigVanSmallWorld

thanks Peter link to ebay too
      rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5575467911&toolid=10001&campid=5338454651&customid=&mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fitm%2FSolar-Panel-Mounting-Bracket-Sets-Frame-Kits-Adhesive-Bond-Caravan-Boat%2F252257787138%3FssPageName%3DSTRK%253AMEBIDX%253AIT%26var%3D551090468161%26_trksid%3Dp2057872.m2749.l2649

• @frederickharron5217
    @frederickharron5217 5 років тому

My first van was a 1963 Corvair Greenbrier back in the early 70's, one of the worse vehicle I ever owned...Congrats on your subs...!

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Thank you really appreciate your support 🤙🤓

• @charliewhite6369
    @charliewhite6369 4 роки тому +1

Good editing and Informative.

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Thank you Charlie really appreciate your positive feedback 👍🤓👍

• @manouchehromari2483
    @manouchehromari2483 3 роки тому +2

this is a good way to mount the panels than drilling hole into the van. good work !

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Thank you 😊

• @crpth1
      @crpth1 3 роки тому +1

Please be aware that's a VERY BAD CHOICE! Sorry to say, a bit stupid at best.
      Although the adhesive itself is quite strong. Remember the entire panel, which is basically a horizontal sail. Is being held in place by the... paint work!!! Yep! That's it! It's the paint that's holding, (anchoring) it all in place!
      Take it from someone with a "structural" background on automotive and other applications. Anyway it's basic common sense!
      Whoever as seen clear coat and/or paint peeling in a car, van, etc. should understand immediately what I'm saying. Let that sink in for a moment and then tell me how safe you would feel at highway speeds behind such an assembly. ;-)
      Cheers

• @obgaming101
      @obgaming101 3 роки тому

@@crpth1 thats why it should be sanded down and cleaned with alcohol before applying the glue.

• @garrybeard2031
    @garrybeard2031 5 років тому

Great video mel well done 👍🇬🇧🍺

• @rayrichards6748
    @rayrichards6748 3 роки тому +1

Mate, you remind me of Paul Whitehouse on the fast show. Easy squeeze cheesy peas.
    Cheers for the upload, good info bro.

• @stephenandrews8221
    @stephenandrews8221 5 років тому +2

Perpetual motion. Thermodynamics init. Ha ha. Well done Mel. Very entertaining

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Thanks 🍻glad you enjoyed my anecdotes 😂😂😂🤓🤙

• @louisjantzen7141
      @louisjantzen7141 5 років тому +1

He's right, Stephen.
      Ever since l've had my panel l no longer need to plug-in or start up.
      (now all l need is another one to power a microwave oven!)

• @manuelester7420
    @manuelester7420 Рік тому +1

Two dragon flies were doing it right next to your hand and flew away after you drilled the first bracket to the roof.😂❤

• @Bananas1973
    @Bananas1973 2 роки тому +1

Im getting mad Kenny Everitt vibes watching this video 🤣. Fantastic video thanks for posting.

• @yokeobro
    @yokeobro Рік тому +1

Legend!

• @rhiantaylor3446
    @rhiantaylor3446 4 роки тому +4

Thanks Mel, very informative. Although I'm only an armchair van converter, I personally would prefer the semi-flex panels that mount direct on the tin roof. I would expect any panels to be combined with a decent sized battery, preferably lithium ion - the recovered batteries from bmw hybrids seem very cheap, I have seen £500 for 9kwhr. A decent battery and you can run yout fridge, a microwave or an induction hob. As you can see, I don't like the idea of lpg inside the same tin box I'm sleeping inside.

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Hi thanks for your feedback really appreciated I have used flex panels but there not as good as the traditional ones

• @Azurren
      @Azurren 4 роки тому

Indeed, feel free to do some googling about the disadvantages of the flexible panels. They don't have long longevity at all as they deteriorate rapidly when exposed to the elements (Wind, rain, ice, snow). Also without the aluminium backing / frame acting as a heatsink they get hot, extremely hot. In hotter countries they don't last long at all, here in the UK you may get a couple years out of them ;)
      They make sense if you use them as portable panels. Store them and slap them on when you're going away for the weekend / week. If you're looking for a permanent install, go with the ridged panels.

• @eatthecountry
    @eatthecountry 11 місяців тому +1

Good stuff cheers

• @maddavvid2339
    @maddavvid2339 5 років тому

Just subscribed to your channel mate nice job of the solar panel

• @BigVanSmallWorld

mad davvid thank you really appreciate your positive feedback and support cheers 🍻🤓🤙

• @garyroberts-spinoutuk4874
    @garyroberts-spinoutuk4874 4 місяці тому

Hi many thanks for the footage am going to do the same to my trailer just a thought as my trailer has no individual suspension will the solar panel fixed as you have done on top of the van
    Just thinking I'll be careful driving but will the solar panel crack IE with vibration
    Just a thought

• @RomfordGuy
    @RomfordGuy 5 років тому

Another great and informative video. Cheers Mel

• @ianjamiesonmusic
    @ianjamiesonmusic 2 роки тому +1

Thanks

• @sages101
    @sages101 3 роки тому

hey good idea man. I just bought the same mounts and realised they were too big. But they're made of plastic and can be cut. I didn't think of that lol. Cheers.
    Oh I forgot. What kind of caulking did you use to keep the brackets glued to the van? Thanks

• @SACREDTRAVELLER
    @SACREDTRAVELLER 4 роки тому +2

Brilliant video, exactly what I need to watch to know how to fit my own panel with those brackets that I also have. Excellent, thanks so much for making! Will subscribe x

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Thank you really appreciate your support good luck with your installation pick a nice day and take your time and stay safe it’s a long way up 👍🤓👍

• @LorisRVLife
    @LorisRVLife 5 років тому

Love ur energy!! Need help with my solar... come to the USA.....Thanks for sharing, Lo :)

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Thank you for positive message really appreciated I’d love to come help you if I could what’s your problem? 🤓🤙

• @LorisRVLife
      @LorisRVLife 5 років тому

@@BigVanSmallWorld I know zero about solar. My 2005 2720 TrailManor has solar and I have no clue about what it does, how to maintain it, if it's enough, if I need or can even put more on it... I'm a mess over here...........

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Oh dear sounds like you really do need help 🤙🤓

• @marklennox2151
    @marklennox2151 2 роки тому +1

Hey Mel, I was watching a video and the guy said these mounts can't be used on curved or ridged roofs. You show that they can. I have a Chevy Astro van that has a similar roof to yours. I'm going to bolt them down though. When these things rip off it's from the paint separating from the primer.

• @JosephMBoyer
      @JosephMBoyer 2 роки тому +1

Right. He didn't even bother to sand it down lol. These will last a season or two.

• @VoitekkWalks
    @VoitekkWalks 2 місяці тому

Perfect, Thanks 4 such a lovely guide

• @BigVanSmallWorld
      @BigVanSmallWorld  2 місяці тому

Glad it was helpful just remember the glue is only as good as the paint it’s sticking to

• @Huskyandwolfdog
    @Huskyandwolfdog 5 років тому

Hi from my husky and wolfdog from the Netherlands!🐺🐶😉

• @katcankan7129
    @katcankan7129 5 років тому

Great job Mr Cheerful. Have a nice weekend 😊

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Hay Kat thank you and you 🤓🤙

• @katcankan7129

@@BigVanSmallWorld 😊

• @gkuk
      @gkuk 5 років тому +1

@@katcankan7129 😸 Have a great bank holiday 😉

• @katcankan7129

@@gkuk Thank you. You too Glen 😺

• @DCsPr0ductions
    @DCsPr0ductions 3 роки тому +1

What exactly is that box you're connecting them wires too? As I'm trying to figure out a plan for our work van.

• @MrDickydribble
    @MrDickydribble 2 роки тому +1

Mel do you not need a fuse between the solar panel and DC charger? About to add a 60w panel so I'm unsure about whether I need a fuse?

• @garysmith7811
    @garysmith7811 4 роки тому +1

Make that 1 more i jus subbed..😎

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Thank you really appreciate your support 👍🤓👍

• @brianroberts6356
    @brianroberts6356 7 місяців тому

What size screws for fixing bracket to panel

• @irenedunne352
    @irenedunne352 4 роки тому

what size where your roofing screws bolts or any link please

• @tonydiscovery
    @tonydiscovery 5 років тому

Congrats on 4000 subs... Great vlog but you may of missed a thing on the stealth part as it is not very stealthy to have to get out of the front and get in the rear with out being seen...

• @BigVanSmallWorld

tonydiscovery thank you really appreciate everyone’s positive support I know what you’re saying it’s the one downside of having 3 seats upfront I have two daughters that sometimes join me so it’s really just a case of personal needs 🤓🤙

• @outthere9370
    @outthere9370 2 роки тому +1

Excellent video. Did you weigh down the corner brackets when you glued them?

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Thank you and no as this would but the bonds under tension better let it lay naturally and bond like that 👍🤓👍

• @T.J-and-Soul
    @T.J-and-Soul 7 місяців тому

So did you ever have any problems with the adhesive?

• @nashsgt
    @nashsgt Рік тому +1

Hi could you please advise me if you get any whisle or noise from the solar panel when driving thank you

• @chrismills1209
    @chrismills1209 3 роки тому +1

Mel been watching your videos and some really helpful stuff so thanks. I guess you could screw to these to the roof allomg with the adhesive?

• @BigVanSmallWorld
      @BigVanSmallWorld  3 роки тому +1

Thank you and yes you could

• @crpth1
      @crpth1 3 роки тому

@@BigVanSmallWorld - Not only could, but most important SHOULD use hardware to fix it in place...
      For goodness sake, at least put a warning about this rather stupid, so called, solution! Sorry if it doesn't sound nice and dandy. But consider that you're putting peoples life in danger just because it "looks" nice!!

• @rebeccacooper9251
    @rebeccacooper9251 Рік тому +1

I'm going to be fitting a solar panel soon but there are lots of ribs on the roof of my van. How did you cut the plastic corner mount to fit the roof?

• @nigelwilding1145
    @nigelwilding1145 Рік тому

What did you use to stick it downM

• @justinsmith6296
    @justinsmith6296 5 років тому

Make sure when using Tiger Seal you warm it up first as it makes it easier to apply otherwise it is like solid rubber when its cold.

• @BigVanSmallWorld

justin smith thank you it was a nice day so didn’t really notice I haven’t used it much in could weather but next time I use it in a vlog I’ll pass that advice on cheers 🍻 really appreciate you taking the time to help 🤓🤙

• @justinsmith6296
      @justinsmith6296 5 років тому

@@BigVanSmallWorld no probs mate, congrats on the 4K Subs BTW You'll soon be able to give up work and live off the UA-cam AD revenue LOL

• @transittravels5763
    @transittravels5763 3 роки тому +1

Hi Mel,
    Brilliant video (as always) I’ve done this on my van with a 200 watt rigid panel (much like yours) I’ve seen some photos on Facebook panels that have been stuck on flying off the room. Do you think that’s much of a worry or do you think it’s just people fitting it wrong? I’ve got all 4 corners and the side bits as well. I just get scared that I wouldn’t be able to use the van in a bad weather in case it comes flying off the roof

• @rickbell814
      @rickbell814 2 роки тому

How’d you go?

• @BigVanSmallWorld
      @BigVanSmallWorld  2 роки тому +1

I know some vans are galvanised and the paint comes away along with anything stuck on them so be careful

• @bc-mr1si
    @bc-mr1si 2 місяці тому

great video. thanks for sharing. can I connect the wires straight onto the battery 🤔

• @BigVanSmallWorld
      @BigVanSmallWorld  2 місяці тому

NO DO NOT DO THAT YOU NEED A SOLAR CONTROLLER

• @bc-mr1si
      @bc-mr1si 2 місяці тому

@BigVanSmallWorld ok thanks for that.

• @johnhealy9231
    @johnhealy9231 5 років тому

You must be a mind reader Mel ,I was just looking at solar systems on eBay ,then turned over to your Chanel and your installing one 🤔 👍❤️ is flexible panel any better than rigid .???

• @BigVanSmallWorld
      @BigVanSmallWorld  5 років тому +2

Oh the power of the universe lol 😂 rigid will out perform flexible panel if you want low profile go for semi flexible 🤓🤙

• @johnhealy9231
      @johnhealy9231 5 років тому

Thanks Mel your a star📡

• @w1nd0cpro
    @w1nd0cpro 5 років тому

Joseph nsw Australia easy peasy solar panel install thanks

• @BigVanSmallWorld

No worries Joseph you’re in the rite place for solar 🤓🤙

• @patrickpirelli7897
    @patrickpirelli7897 2 місяці тому +1

Mel is it 20mm hole ya drill for the wires to go through the roof

• @nett0.
    @nett0. 4 роки тому

Hi Mel what size roofing bolts did you use and if I we're to add a split charge relay system would the solar charge the main starter battery once the leisure batteries are fully charged? Great video by the way, keep em coming.

• @BigVanSmallWorld
      @BigVanSmallWorld  4 роки тому +1

Hi ya I don’t remember what size bolts I used sorry as for VSR yes it will come on as soon as your solar system kicks in charging all your battery’s at the same time that’s the down side 😊👍

• @nett0.
      @nett0. 4 роки тому

@@BigVanSmallWorld thank you for your speedy reply, what do you mean by downside? Surely it is best to keep all batteries topped up?

• @a552bcx
    @a552bcx 2 роки тому +1

what kind of glue did you use on the side and what kind of rubber seal and glue did you use to seal the hole

• @uptowndisco2
    @uptowndisco2 5 років тому

did you have problems with the rubber toggle type you used last time , that you changed to a stick em down system , I am going to try this method looks easier , might still use a safety wire attached to the panel and roof rack mount built into my roof just for safety sake and my own peace of mind lol

• @BigVanSmallWorld

uptowndisco2 no didn’t have a problem when them they are still going strong there just not suited for this panel there ok for the flat flexible panels 🤓🤙

• @michaelpowell7312
    @michaelpowell7312 4 роки тому

Great video, where did you get the self tappers for the solar panel from and are they Stainless Steel?

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Hello thank you there roofing screws with the big rubber washers removed so yes no worries with rust you can get them anywhere screw fix B&Q most DIY stores 👍🤓👍

• @michaelpowell7312
      @michaelpowell7312 4 роки тому

Thanks for the reply. Are they Stainless steel?

• @vanlifeembracingdiversity5431
    @vanlifeembracingdiversity5431 2 роки тому +1

I enjoyed it but there are few steps I would have appreciated with wiring

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Thank you there’s 2 wires one positive and one negative on the controller it’s clearly marked where they go with a small sign that looks like noughts and crosses 👍🤓👍

• @garymclay9885
    @garymclay9885 2 роки тому +1

Nice video.
    What size controller would be required for 700w solar powere? ie:- 4 @ 175w each?

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Hay Gary it’s all about the voltage 👍

• @garymclay9885
      @garymclay9885 2 роки тому

Thanks Mel. I’ve got it sorted thanks.
      On an other matter though!!
      My van has a secondary Varta agm battery that’s charged with a split charger from the van battery. I want to change it for a bigger lithium battery. Will the existing split charger charge the new lithium battery efficiently and safely? Or will I need a different split charger? Thanks again for all your advice.
      I’m loving all your videos. Very interesting and entertaining. 🤙

• @dontwastetimetoday493
    @dontwastetimetoday493 2 роки тому +2

Im concerned about the wind pulling the panel from the roof at 70mph, which adhesive did you use to avoid such an accident? Thanks in advance

• @jamesjddj23
      @jamesjddj23 2 роки тому

tiger seal thats what he showed at the beginning of the video anyway... I have used tiger seal before and its really strong but i am also concerned it would blow off! I think having the solar panel flat on the roof would be better because of the wind getting underneath... My mate stuck his on a roof rack and he said its costs him loads more in diesel.

• @Charlemagne1367
      @Charlemagne1367 Рік тому

@@jamesjddj23 Not better for the solar panels though. They need air circulation. If you stick them to the roof, metal heats up and in turn will heat up your panels, decreasing their performance and lifespan, which is already less for flexible panels vs ridgid on both counts.

• @SpikeyOfficial
    @SpikeyOfficial 2 роки тому +1

I have a little Vito, I'm just wandering would a 150w been enough for just your fridge and charging of devices and lights? I know it's a very vague question but if you have an idea I would appreciate it

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Hi Spike it’s more about the size of your battery’s I’d say you would want at least 150 amp hours to get you through the days that are overcast 👍😁

• @SpikeyOfficial
      @SpikeyOfficial 2 роки тому

@@BigVanSmallWorld okay thank you, so do you think two 100amp would be okay? I'm assuming you can join them. Sorry I'm a complete newb to this. But the only way to learn is give it a go 😂

• @adamliz8172
    @adamliz8172 5 років тому

Well done loving all your vids, they are so helping me with my build :-) if i could subscribe twice or more i would.. cheers Mel :-)

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Adam & Liz thank you so much that’s really appreciated Cheers 🍻🤓🤙

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Adam & Liz Hi Adam really nice to met you today thanks for saying Hi so nice to of you sorry I had to dash off I was in the middle of fitting an oven and people where waiting for me 🤓🤙

• @adamliz8172
      @adamliz8172 5 років тому

Thanks Mel, Was great seeing you, first time ive met a UA-cam Celeb lol, Picked up my first lot of Cladding today hopefully start my ceiling tomorrow, but got the fun job of insulating and vapour barrier, i may do a short vid of something i come up with, i purchased a pop up 400x400 caravan skylight, which i modified with nice bit of furniture board, a 220mm 12v pc fan, a pc led screen fan controller, so i made my own ceiling fan, im impressed with it and the whole unit came to a total of £32 :-) big saving on roof fan, and mine displays date, time, temperature and i can cut fan speed to ultra quiet 6volt all on touch screen :-).. by the way mrs was gutted she didnt meet you :-)

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Morning drop me an email and we’ll arrange to meet-up again soon 🤓🤙

• @Travelling_about
    @Travelling_about 4 роки тому +1

What size were those roofing bolts you used for the solar panel.
    Do they have a proper name?

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Sorry this is an old video I really don’t remember 😐😐😐