How to repair gear linkage on a VW T4

Поділитися
Вставка
  • Опубліковано 27 сер 2024

КОМЕНТАРІ • 24

• @user-qu7ue7nw5t
    @user-qu7ue7nw5t 10 місяців тому +1

Thanks for this, I was however really hoping you were replacing the smaller ball and socket, mine perished and same as you with loss of gears, but no matter what contraption I came up with, I could not get the small ball into the new sleeve\socket. In total I’ve spent 9 hours and still no success, it is however going into each gear as desired, but I’m worried it will soon pop out.
    I even reamed out the opening of said socket, i warmed it up, i rigged up a pulley vice to compress the parts , I used silicone grease etc. I did wonder about piercing the back end of the socket to maybe allow the vacuum to not resist the small ball. Flummoxed..

• @2BugsandaBack
      @2BugsandaBack  10 місяців тому +2

I have replaced that in the past and I even bought a spare for this time but I didn't need it.
      I just used a big tyre lever and a lot of swearing!

• @PedroPlckle
      @PedroPlckle 3 місяці тому

nice size block of 2x3 or 3x3 and pry against the main rod near the T piece with a large flat blade screwdriver if you don't have a big enough set of pipe grips. 🙂

• @PedroPlckle

Looks like that ball doesn't sit fully inside the crevice properly. Mine does. Appears to question whether that main rod or the gearshift actuator plate on the gearbox or the socket holder plate on the side you didn't change is/are actually the right parts for your model? Either that or that ball is pushed too far on? Might wear prematurely (again?).

• @jacobmeeker2637
    @jacobmeeker2637 3 місяці тому

I’m having trouble with this on my 93 eurovan or t4 as you guys call it. That rubber looking circle thing on the opposite side of the metal one that you replaced, does that attach to the motor/transmission there or does that float free? Only gears I have right now are 3 and 4. I can’t figure out what that other side does

• @jamesturner3840
    @jamesturner3840 4 місяці тому

Sorry which gearbox was this on - manual or auto? Cheers

• @scousebikers
    @scousebikers Рік тому

Hello mate does the big ball just sit like yours there not right in the middle ?? About to do both sizes and the cup I have the whole linkage off atm cheers
    The scouse biker

• @2BugsandaBack
      @2BugsandaBack  Рік тому +1

Yep, it's not in the middle of the clevis part. I did wonder about that, but the old clevis I took off has got wear marks that show that the ball has always been off centre a bit. This van has done 293,000 miles so it must be right!

• @scousebikers
      @scousebikers Рік тому +1

@@2BugsandaBack nice one for the quick reply man apreicate it

• @PedroPlckle

@@scousebikers Ahh. seee my new comment above. I think there may be an issue with the main rod. Has the long arm of it ever been shortened/welded?

• @user-qp2ok4ch3k
    @user-qp2ok4ch3k Рік тому

Hi! Where did you buy your repair kit? I bought a kit but the ball in my kit is simply impossible to slide on. I´ve even used a crowbar but it simply won´t work.

• @2BugsandaBack
      @2BugsandaBack  Рік тому

I got it from Brickwerks here in the UK.
      brickwerks.co.uk/product/selector-rod-repair-kit-t4/

• @user-qp2ok4ch3k
      @user-qp2ok4ch3k Рік тому

@@2BugsandaBack Thanks man! You saved my vacation trip! The balls in my previous kits were hard as rocks. The one you recommended was more elastic and slid over more easily. Still had to use a crowbar though due to the awkward position, but now it was a 10-minute job as you say. Much appreciated!

• @2BugsandaBack
      @2BugsandaBack  Рік тому

That's great news! I'm glad you managed to get it sorted 😊

• @colinbullen7486
      @colinbullen7486 11 місяців тому +1

if anyone still hasn't done it, try soaking the ball in really hot water first,then lever it on with a long piece of wood

• @user-qp2ok4ch3k
      @user-qp2ok4ch3k 7 місяців тому

Was there. Tried that.@@colinbullen7486

• @n21igel
    @n21igel 4 місяці тому

A Taiwanese Technician makes Metal Version. No more replacement then❤

• @2BugsandaBack
      @2BugsandaBack  4 місяці тому

I haven't seen those in the UK. It's a common problem though so I'll look for one next time

• @Paul-zz1cr
    @Paul-zz1cr Рік тому +1

Maybe some grease

• @2BugsandaBack
      @2BugsandaBack  Рік тому

The nylon parts are self lubricating. If you grease it, the grease will trap dirt and become an abrasive paste making the parts wear out much faster.

• @MrBurty5
    @MrBurty5 7 місяців тому

Well that was educating NOT

• @2BugsandaBack
      @2BugsandaBack  7 місяців тому +1

Can't win 'em all! Thanks for watching anyway :)