Fender Blues Deluxe vs Kongsheng Amazing 20 vs Easttop T008k & T003!

Поділитися
Вставка
  • Опубліковано 20 сер 2024
  • Battle of the sub-$20 harmonicas. Only one loser of the four, and really, not all that much of a loser, to be honest. Harping on a budget? See if any of these harps will fit your bill. My opinion: 1) Easttop T008k 2) Kongsheng Amazing 20 3) Fender Blues Deluxe 4) Easttop T003, but any of the first three will do you just fine.

КОМЕНТАРІ • 48

• @allenhawker3911
    @allenhawker3911 9 місяців тому +2

I’m fairly new to learning the harmonica. I’m only about 6 months in. I can’t really review harps but I have SP20, Rocket and just bought a Suzuki Promaster which I really like. But I did pick up a new Easttop a few months ago for $25. I think it sounds great and feels solid built. I really like it. It’s a lot of bang for $25. Right now though I’m loving this Suzuki I bought. I’m really enjoying learning all this. 😊

• @rustycasteele6121
    @rustycasteele6121 Рік тому +2

Love my Fenders. In tune right out of the box, fairly easy to bend, comfortable to play. Plus like you I got mine from Sweetwater, actually brought 3 to make up a carry around bag, and got a great deal and 2 bags of candy!!

• @Tim48103
      @Tim48103  Рік тому +1

It's all about those Atomic Fireballs!

• @Dan-jl1fk
    @Dan-jl1fk Рік тому +4

The Easttop 008k certainly is the most playable of the low priced harps.The sound lends itself to bluegrass and country very well. The Kongsheng Benders is similar to the Amazing 20 with the smaller hole size but with full rounded cover plates and a little more subdued. I put it second to the 008k.

• @jimmeltonbradley1497
    @jimmeltonbradley1497 Місяць тому

Here in the UK they are even more expensive. Even the Fender Deluxe is the equivalent of $20. Lee Oskars are prohibitive at around £50 - that's near enough $60.

• @charlieburns1385
    @charlieburns1385 5 місяців тому +1

Thanks great!
    Enjoy your sound!

• @pixelvnce
    @pixelvnce Рік тому +2

I’ve liked Kongsheng for sometime. They’ve been a durable harp as well as Fender.
    I think Kongsheng used to make reeds for Suzuki, at one point. Correct me if I’m wrong.
    Liked your vid -so I subscribed
    Thanks man
    Vince

• @Tim48103
      @Tim48103  Рік тому +1

Not sure about the kongsheng Suzuki connection.... I guess I'd be surprised, seems like Suzuki would be all autonomous and such, but you never know.... and thanks for the sub!

• @markingham4773
    @markingham4773 9 місяців тому

Hi Tim, thanks for the video. I've been using 008k/Fender Midnight Blues(which are 008ks, so I think it's pretty much certain that the Blues Deluxe is made by Easttop too) for a good old while now, they're great harps. I agree with you with the slight issue with the cover plates with the black ones, I always go for the blue ones now, no issue at all with them, they're just as smooth as regular stainless steel cover plates.

• @PaulTheSkeptic
    @PaulTheSkeptic 11 місяців тому +1

That was actually really helpful. Thanks. I've been buying a lot of those Kongshengs and the Amazing 20 is respectable enough. But I find the Benders are just a little bit better and I think they're the same price. They used to be a bit more but then all their prices went up and now, I think they're the same but don't quote me on that. I'd definitely say the Benders are just a bit more solid and better built. But the 20's are fine. I'll definitely have to try Easttop now too.

• @Tim48103
      @Tim48103  11 місяців тому +1

another reasonably priced harp I've been getting into lately is the Kongsheng TinG. About $25 - surprisingly good harps - but yeah, the Easttop T008k remains my standard bearer for consistent high quality at a bargain price. Cheers!

• @PaulTheSkeptic
      @PaulTheSkeptic 11 місяців тому

@@Tim48103 I'm glad you said that. I actually just bought one. TinG.
      I think you mentioned if I remember correctly something like the Easttop 120 pro? I've heard other people say that but it's not on their webstore. Is it discontinued or...?
      Also, do you know if there's any difference between the T008K and the T008S? Is it just a color or style thing or are they different harmonicas?

• @Tim48103
      @Tim48103  11 місяців тому

@@PaulTheSkeptic I'm pretty sure the only difference between the 008K and the 008S is that the S has welded reeds and the K has rivets. TBH I'm not sure how that improves things, but the S models tend to be a little more expensive - I doubt there's much difference in terms of tone or durability. As to the "pro" series - I've only really messed with the Pro 10 AKA their "Blues Standard" model. It *can* be a truly great harp, but back when I reviewed them, they were inconsistent in build quality (I haven't tried them lately). Here's that review for reference purposes ua-cam.com/video/UlYAn6Jp6BI/v-deo.html You can find them on Ebay and AliExpress.

• @martinvegas1327
    @martinvegas1327 9 місяців тому +1

I ordered the T008K thanks👍

• @VEXG32
    @VEXG32 3 місяці тому +1

I just pulled the trigger on getting a Fender in key of G. Debating now to get the A or Bb one

• @johnfleff
      @johnfleff Місяць тому +1

If I were you I would buy a whole set of Easttop Harmonicas .... Why? Because they are the very best harmonica made and cheapest also ... and .... you may want to play your harmonica along with your favorite band and the song being played ...and ... you may have to change your harmonica if the band changes the key they are playing in. The "A" key is very high ... not likely being used in any blues songs, but more likely played in Oldies, gospel, country, type songs/music. Eli: "King of Rock & Roll Harmonia"

• @3345646
    @3345646 Рік тому +2

Came here to check out the amazing 20.
    My choice is still the easttop 008 for three reasons.
    Playability , Playability, Playability.
    The brighter tone suits me. If you amplify the tone can be adjusted anyway.

• @adityarifqi5286
      @adityarifqi5286 9 місяців тому

im on amazing 20 or eastop 008. which one better? Some say 008 are have some sharp?

• @3345646
      @3345646 9 місяців тому

To adityarifqi5286
      I’m about cost and ease of playing.
      No sharp edges on the easttop 008. It plays in tune well. It’s not sharp #.
      I checked with Fred at eezy harps.
      The CONJURER blue storm is similar to the East top. Haven’t played one. They are only $20 on Amazon. Fred doesn’t have them.

• @maxwellfan55
      @maxwellfan55 7 місяців тому

@@3345646 Any difference between the feel of the Easttop black against the Easttop blue coating?

• @3345646
      @3345646 7 місяців тому

No difference in the blue or black coating on the easttop 008k.
      When ordering sometimes they sent blue other times black. It’s All the same instrument.

• @JasonLasser
    @JasonLasser Рік тому +1

Fender has a sale for 30% off any two accessories for single, 3 and 7 packs on their website for Blues Deluxe and Blues Deville models at the moment. That’s $6.99 (Deluxe) and $22.99 (Deville) each if you get the 7 packs

• @Tim48103
      @Tim48103  Рік тому +1

That's ridiculously cheap for these harps. BY THE WAY - I wouldn't go with the Deville's - I mean, they're fine harps, but they are identical to the Easttop T008ks except for branding, and the T008ks are cheaper. Also, the "Hot Rod" Deville's are "valved", little plastic strips over the reed slots, supposed to be easier to bend notes and stuff, but they seem flappy to me. ANYways - at $6.99 each, there is NO reason not to get a set of Blues Deluxes - wow - I might just get a set.... like I need more harps, lol....

• @WolfsBlues
    @WolfsBlues Рік тому

Love your videos, always straight to the point and informative. 🤘

• @padrejohnruffle
    @padrejohnruffle Рік тому +3

Love my 12 Easttop T008k harps - and I also prefer the thick black raised paint finish. I bought my son some identical ones except in a smooth electric blue just so we wouldn't mix them up, and I still way prefer my black finish ones. But just so folks know they don't just come in black. I've had mine 3 years, and no problems with them at all. My G is a little worn in that it's become a little harder to blow, (8th hole) but that's only to be expected after this length of time, and I've never ventured to take any of them apart to clean. - Maybe I should?

• @markingham4773
      @markingham4773 9 місяців тому

They're both well cool, but I prefer the blue ones as they are smoother on the lips.

• @MP-tf7cc
      @MP-tf7cc 3 місяці тому

You should open it and adjust the reed. Pretty easy if you watch an instructional video first.

• @nacoran
    @nacoran 7 місяців тому

My big problem with Fender was that when they came out they priced their models significantly more expensively than the Easttop equivalents. As Easttop has become more established in the West their prices have started to go up so that price gap has shrunk.

• @AncientEL07
    @AncientEL07 Рік тому +1

The easttop 008k is a bit to large for my tasting, I like the more sleek harmonica, but it do sound good though

• @MP-tf7cc
    @MP-tf7cc 3 місяці тому +1

Good topic and video. Have you tried any of the other Easttop models - T002, T009 or others?

• @Tim48103
      @Tim48103  3 місяці тому

I've tried their upper-level "Blues Standard" which at the time had poor quality consistency. The good ones were great, the bad ones awful (I have a youtube vid about that somewhere, too). But beyond the 008 and the 003, I haven't tried any of their other inexpensive models.

• @Grimmwoldds
      @Grimmwoldds 2 місяці тому

@@Tim48103 I have a feeling the Easttop t009 would be like the Conjurer WH1006(the black dragon) you already reviewed. Conjurer and Easttop both look exactly the same in the WH1001-T10(same as the free blues look), WH1002-T002(the seydel session style), WH1005-T008K, WH1006-T009(shonrry) , and they rate them in the same order with that weird "quality high/low" bar on some of the inserts. I'm still not certain if Conjurer is assembling Easttop parts or actually having them made in the Easttop factory or simply making really high end copies.
      But I'm leaning towards Easttop making them or at least the parts because I've got two nearly identical pack in slips, they look that same except for the company name, the presence of FALA BLUES note chart(conjurer doesn't have that one), and the model names. Heck, they're identical wording and layout, even to a weird extra space in the "PL AYING" section.

• @Tim48103
      @Tim48103  2 місяці тому

@@Grimmwoldds I think you're right - I think these are made by Easttop start to finish and then "stenciled" to Conjurer. Not sure why - I can understand why Easttop would provide stencil service to somebody like Fender, but I would imagine that Conjurer wouldn't reach much of a "new" market than Easttop already owns.... Oh well.

• @bonedaddy6600
    @bonedaddy6600 Рік тому

as always, great video. you da' man....

• @GrilloTheFlightless
    @GrilloTheFlightless 3 місяці тому +1

I’d like East Top a whole lot better if it weren’t for that nasty taste the paint leaves in the mouth. I heard a lot people complain about that. When I was buying my first chromatic harmonica I went for an East Top Forerunner as it was so affordable. They seemed to get good reviews. But as soon as I tried it I thought “there’s that horrible taste everyone was talking about with the diatonic harmonicas”. I don’t thinks it’s even a matter of cheaper materials. If you don’t use paint at all, there would surely be no problem?
    I’ve never tried Kongsheng or Fender. The name ‘Amazing 20’ is a turn off for me as it sounds like a cheap Special 20 knock-off. But I’ve toyed with the idea of getting a few Baby Fats just for fun, so I can have something relatively cheap as a carry-around harmonica. That way I don’t have to risk sitting on my MB Deluxe or 1847s, or accidentally leaving them on the bus!

• @Tim48103
      @Tim48103  3 місяці тому

lol - the Baby Fats ARE fun little harps - but not toys - they're put together well and play well, too. I just can't get around not having the upper octave, feels like I'm missing something.... but for pocket harps, they're great.

• @GrilloTheFlightless
      @GrilloTheFlightless 3 місяці тому

@@Tim48103 to clarify, I don’t think they’re toys - I was toying with the idea of getting some. It’d be nice to have something compact and relatively inexpensive that I can carry around in case I get the urge to play something, without having to carry around my more expensive harmonica’s.

• @Tim48103
      @Tim48103  3 місяці тому +1

@@GrilloTheFlightless Then these will do you just fine!

• @peteaustin5327
    @peteaustin5327 Рік тому +1

Tim East Top and Fenders is the only new harps I buy now. I do buy some reedplates from other brands when I get deals on them but I really don't understand why anybody would spend the extra money on Hohners. Your paying for a name. They are not better. There I said it.

• @Tim48103
      @Tim48103  Рік тому +1

Baby, you said it well. I agree.

• @MeteCanKarahasan
      @MeteCanKarahasan Рік тому

Bought a Fender Blues Deluxe. I hope I can learn to play, it sounds awesome.🤞

• @norfolknwhey4787
      @norfolknwhey4787 9 місяців тому

There are advantages to the Hohners, but mostly for more advanced customizations and responsiveness. The reedplates on the Easttop do not emboss well, and the reeds themselves are very thin and do not offer the same shaping characteristics as the hohners. There’s nothing wrong with the Easttop, for the money they are tough to beat, but they are not on-par with their Hohner equivalents.

• @allenhawker3911
      @allenhawker3911 9 місяців тому

Easttops are really good. They get a bad rap for whatever reason? Maybe the low price means low quality to some, I’m not sure. But I love mine!

• @junielvlog4736
    @junielvlog4736 Рік тому +2

Sir do i need to know how to read notes in order to play harmonica?

• @Tim48103
      @Tim48103  Рік тому +5

Nope - not many of us can do that, lol.

• @lynnglidewell7367
    @lynnglidewell7367 2 місяці тому

This fellow mumbles to much as he lets his voice trail off. Speak up! Step up to the mic! I am interested in what you're saying.

• @Tim48103
      @Tim48103  2 місяці тому

lol. you and my wife could have a long and meaningful conversation. Most of OUR conversations is me saying deep and meaningful things and her saying SPEAK THE HELL UP, MAN - Your coffee isn't' the only thing in the room wants to hear what you're saying!!! (I'll make a note, tho)